• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will Isa keyblade weider?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Sure. While we're at it, we may as well give one to Donald, Goofy, & Namine. Remember in KH1 when the Keyblade seemed unique? Yeah that's gone, it's on the eternal sidelines with Disney & Final Fantasy characters having meaning, and Kairi's spotlight.

Not really. Mickey and Riku-Ansem both had their own Keyblades in KH1 and King Triton implied there was at least another Keyblade wielder as he had knowledge of it beforehand, implying others exist. The Keyblade was never really a "only one" weapon when you really think about it. It's just they were rare to come across at the time of KH1 because the other wielders either were sealed away somewhere or weren't born yet.

The FF characters were always cameos and Kairi's spotlight is a drug illusion you never get to catch.
Edit: Actually I take that back for the FF characters. Leon, Yuffie, Aerith, and Cid at the very least qualify as longterm supporters. Everyone else is a cameo.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Sure. While we're at it, we may as well give one to Donald, Goofy, & Namine. Remember in KH1 when the Keyblade seemed unique? Yeah that's gone, it's on the eternal sidelines with Disney & Final Fantasy characters having meaning, and Kairi's spotlight.
At least with Namine she should already have the ability to wield one since she is Kairi's nobody.

What's funny is if she got a Keyblade I'm certain hers would be way more elegant than Kairi's ugly Destiny Embrace, lol

Veevee

Awards

While I also like the specialness of the keyblade in KH1 and how magical it felt, I'm not as sad as others that they kinda dropped that. The keyblade as a unique weapon felt like the typical chosen one with chosen one's unique magical supersword trope which is by no means bad, but giving other people keyblades undermined the point of Sora not being the chosen one later. In later entries, especially DDD, they put more emphasis on Sora not being special per se - he's neither especially strong, smart or has great genes - but he has an ability to connect to people that stems from him being a truly sweet guy and that is his speciality. Also, I don't think the problem lies in there that many people have a keyblade - but rather that nothing is done with that. Kairi gets a keyblade and doesn't accomplish much with it, Lea's breaks and is completely devoid of the purpose that it hinted at ("saving Roxas and Xion with it") and during the Ux era, every Tom, Dick and Harry had a keyblade while being just a little cog in a giant machine. Nomura seems to feel that everyone important to the storyline should have a keyblade but there's no reasonable explanation for that so it feels like "handing them out like candy". People like when things are earned; Riku earned his real keyblade through overcoming his own weaknesses and coming to terms with them, TAV trained for years to master theirs and be acknowledged as a master and Lea gets it ... as a flick of the wrist.

It's similar to Dragonball where Goku and Vegeta had to go through severe hardships to earn the Super Saiyan while their sons just do it conveniently without even being able to remember how they mastered it. The bullshit reason for that followed 20 years later and one had to just accept it, but I feel we are steering in a similar direction with Nomura

disney233

Awards
Not really. Mickey and Riku-Ansem both had their own Keyblades in KH1 and King Triton implied there was at least another Keyblade wielder as he had knowledge of it beforehand, implying others exist. The Keyblade was never really a "only one" weapon when you really think about it. It's just they were rare to come across at the time of KH1 because the other wielders either were sealed away somewhere or weren't born yet.

The FF characters were always cameos and Kairi's spotlight is a drug illusion you never get to catch.
Edit: Actually I take that back for the FF characters. Leon, Yuffie, Aerith, and Cid at the very least qualify as longterm supporters. Everyone else is a cameo.
It's more of the mystery of the Keyblade that made it unique. They made it seem like Sora & Mickey were the only ones who can wield one. The made the keyblade out to be that special tool and Sora's the chosen one. Now, everyone and their mothers get a keyblade....just because and Sora was NEVER the chosen one to begin with. The key of darkness and the key to release hearts were never even touched upon again. Is Soul Eater/Way of Dawn even a Keyblade? Like...did Maleficent give Riku a Keyblade? Even THAT'S never touched upon and it never will.

I don't...quite know how to put it, but there was a certain charm to the keyblade that died within each game.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
It's more of the mystery of the Keyblade that made it unique. They made it seem like Sora & Mickey were the only ones who can wield one. The made the keyblade out to be that special tool and Sora's the chosen one. Now, everyone and their mothers get a keyblade....just because and Sora was NEVER the chosen one to begin with. The key of darkness and the key to release hearts were never even touched upon again. Is Soul Eater/Way of Dawn even a Keyblade? Like...did Maleficent give Riku a Keyblade? Even THAT'S never touched upon and it never will.

I don't...quite know how to put it, but there was a certain charm to the keyblade that died within each game.

Way to Dawn is a Keyblade, don't think Soul Eater is.

Anyway about everyone having a Keyblade, well in some cases they had no choice. Sora is not always the main character of a KH game, and the Keyblade is the most established thing the series made. I don't think there is a single Kingdom Hearts game without the Keyblade in it. Now they could have given out new weapons starting with BBS, but really what would be the difference? They'll be doing the same thing as a Keyblade anyway. Slaying Heartless, sending them to Kingdom Hearts to increase it's size. Opening portals and pathways. Sealing up keyholes. Kingdom Hearts follows a formula so even if they made new weapons they'd all just be Keyblades under a different name/look anyway. The series depends on magic Keyblades.

I get what you are saying and won't argue that the Keyblade has lost some of it's charm because it has. But I don't think it's all bad. I'm fine with how TAV have Keyblades, and Roxas and Xion only have Keyblades because they came from Sora, and their connection to it ties back to his Keyblade, and in their cases they might not even be real ones. Riku earned his, no problem there. Honestly the only Keyblades I had issues with are Lea and Kairi's. Lea did not need one and frankly neither did Kairi. Namine doesn't have a Keyblade and she's been very helpful to Sora and friends. I wish Kairi had gone down that route, or be like Minnie and use light spells. Because with a Keyblade she's just been portrayed as a less competent Xion.

Have they gone overboard with the handing out of Keyblades? Yes. Especially with Union X. But honestly before that I was mostly fine with the Keyblade wielder status.
Edit: I also dislike how Kairi got her Keyblade from Aqua. Like really? That's how it happened?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Soul Eater is a sword that was later used as an intermediary for Way to Dawn to come into existence. This matter is addressed in the novels, although I don't remember how clear or vague it might have been.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Every KH character seems to get one these days, but I would rather he and Axel to keep their original weapons for the sake of variety.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Have they gone overboard with the handing out of Keyblades? Yes. Especially with Union X. But honestly before that I was mostly fine with the Keyblade wielder status.
To be fair, the Keyblades in Chi served as an origin for the ones in the Keyblade Graveyard, and those have of course existed since BBS. Union X follows the many survivors of the tragedy, and is meant to explain how the legacy of the Keyblade was able to persist after the war. So overall, I just view it as something expanding on the history that was already there.

That said, I do think turning several of the less prominent characters into ancient Keyblade wielders was definitely pretty cheap and unnecessary. There was no real reason why they couldn't have just continued to make brand new characters instead of just throwing in familiar faces for the sake of trying to make it more relavent (and even then, there are better ways to go about than the contrived method they went with).

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Let Isa have both. Let everyone like Lauriam and Elrena have both of their weapon choices readily available for interesting combo sets.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards

Naminé should be above everyone else in line to have a Keyblade. She's the shadow ("Nobody") of Kairi, a wielder who by KH1 was already chosen to hold the weapon eventually. Sora is the reason why, via being an intermediary, she was able to obtain her own form. All she got out of it was to manipulate the memories of Sora and those connected to him. But that easily can extend to wielding as well.

My only problem with this is that she'll be overpowered. If she was anything other than kind, all the main players would be her puppet slaves right now. This includes the Disney characters.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

Yeah, people miss this when talking about the uniqueness of Keyblades. Sora's considered the "chosen one", but even in KH1 they walk that back and say Riku actually was the true chosen one. Triton especially is overlooked because it was never touched upon again. Sora just mattered a whole lot because he was the one who had the Kingdom Key and Mickey needed the Kingdom Key D for what they needed to do.

And if two people could wield the same Keyblade at the same time even as far back as KH1, then it shows right there that being a wielder may not be "common" (and it still isn't in the grand scheme of things), but others with the power do exist. And since the KH1 secret ending "Another Side, Another Story" exists, even though that was made without knowing if Kingdom Hearts would spawn into a series (thank God it did), it still shows that somebody other than Sora has TWO Keyblades. So even then, it was never really all THAT exclusive.

While I also like the specialness of the keyblade in KH1 and how magical it felt, I'm not as sad as others that they kinda dropped that. The keyblade as a unique weapon felt like the typical chosen one with chosen one's unique magical supersword trope which is by no means bad, but giving other people keyblades undermined the point of Sora not being the chosen one later. In later entries, especially DDD, they put more emphasis on Sora not being special per se - he's neither especially strong, smart or has great genes - but he has an ability to connect to people that stems from him being a truly sweet guy and that is his speciality.

And that's why I think it worked out for the best. The series since the very beginning has always said that Sora isn't special -- but it means jackshit either way because most of the "special" people chosen by "fate" or whatever you want to call it have to end up being saved by Sora anyway. Riku's the chosen one, yet Sora's out here doing everything. It's the kid you wouldn't expect to be the hero that's the one fixing everything.

If anything, I'd say being chosen is almost a curse.

Now they could have given out new weapons starting with BBS, but really what would be the difference? They'll be doing the same thing as a Keyblade anyway. Slaying Heartless, sending them to Kingdom Hearts to increase it's size. Opening portals and pathways. Sealing up keyholes. Kingdom Hearts follows a formula so even if they made new weapons they'd all just be Keyblades under a different name/look anyway. The series depends on magic Keyblades.

Exactly. Unless you do a complete change-up of everything where Heartless aren't a factor, and you'd still go to different worlds for some reason... But tied into what Kingdom Hearts is all about overall. I mean, this COULD be what Verum Rex might turn into if it's an actual game. Never know.

But for every KH game, you're gonna need a Keyblade present and it's most likely gonna have to be via the protagonist.

My only problem with this is that she'll be overpowered. If she was anything other than kind, all the main players would be her puppet slaves right now. This includes the Disney characters.

Kairi should be OP, considering her Princess of Heart powers, so it's not a surprise Namine would also be OP as well. If Kairi had the same amount of experience as Sora and Riku did, she'd eat everybody's lunch with how strong she'd be.

Back