• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will Final Fantasy ever revisit its roots

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

magic713

Awards
Do you think Final Fantasy will ever try a medieval setting (that hasn't been used since FFIX) in the series, or do you believe it will stick with its modern setting forever?

Muke

whatever
Awards
I'm pretty sure they will at some point. When? No idea.

Pandymint

Awards
Well there's also XII and XIV which are more medieval than most of the other modern games. Ultimately, it's just gonna be a matter of whatever they think is gonna get more attention and sell better. After how modern XV is, I'd like for them to take a step back into general fantasy style a bit. At this point, it would feel pretty refreshing.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I wouldn't mind a medieval setting but at the same time I want them to keep experimenting with new settings.

I still want a western style universe or a middle eastern one for FF16

Rix

:)
Awards
I would love a FF with a medieaval setting with an open world to explore like in FFXV! I don't mind them experimenting with other settings and styles either though. I think that they'll go back to a medieval setting eventually.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's not like there are only two settings for a fantasy game though, "modern" aka 20th/21st century or medieval.

Why not try something entirely new like i.e. an ancient setting (think Roman Republic, Three Kingdoms China or Ancient Greece), Renaissance/Victorian era, early industrial age or even futuristic?

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Its true roots are more or less as a Dragon Quest clone. If you want something like the first three games in terms of setting and substance, there's always... well, Dragon Quest. I see little point in the company taking both series in the same direction.

Datomix

Awards
Website
s14.invisionfree.com
Well, there's World Of Final Fantasy. iOS titles like Exvius, Mobius, and Dimensions. They aren't main titles but they are there. Also, you act as if FF has been doing modern settings forever. XV is pretty much the only title excluding FF7 that could be considered modern other than the sci-fi and and fantasy twists. XIII was futuristic, as well as XIII-2 with many other aspects given it's a time travel story.. LR was honestly a Fantasy with modern aspects, but I wouldn't quite describe it as modern. Just cause it isn't medieval doesn't make it modern.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I personally don't care either way. As long as it's a cast filled with likeable characters, great story, and unforgettable graphics and gameplay, I'm all for any setting.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
eh, i hope not. it took versus/xv's setting for me to finally be interested in an ff game. i'd rather they continue in that vein, personally.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Personally I don't believe they'll revisit a traditional medieval high fantasy setting any time soon. The whole steampunk/dieselpunk-esque scene is too interesting to pass up for them. At least that's how I feel. I personally prefer the steampunk/dieselpunk over high fantasy anyway. Who knows. If they can pull it off with the whole action rpg direction FF is now, then I'll play the crap out of it (let's face it, they're fully action-rpg now)

LingeringVanitas

Why not try something entirely new like i.e. an ancient setting (think Roman Republic, Three Kingdoms China or Ancient Greece), Renaissance/Victorian era, early industrial age or even futuristic?
They already have. FF 13 was futuristic. FF Tactics was a combination of Victorian and Medieval/Renaissance style. Because they had old style Cathedrals, Chocobo Knights[like knights on horseback etc] so that's been done. Except it was only for Tactics, they never did it ever again after that. Well no....they did show Chocobo's being rode on in FF Type-0. Also apparently nobody is paying attention to their mobile games. Final Fantasy Dimensions was classic Final Fantasy written all over it. Was 16 bit style, with towns castles and a job system. So if anything if they aren't making CONSOLE games that are classic style Final Fantasy they are certainly attempting it on other devices....

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Its true roots are more or less as a Dragon Quest clone. If you want something like the first three games in terms of setting and substance, there's always... well, Dragon Quest. I see little point in the company taking both series in the same direction.

This pretty much sums up my opinion. Square Enix has too many RPG's in its library, their flagship franchise needs to have distinct elements in order to stand out from the rest of Square Enix's portfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back