• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why was there a door?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
So, if this topic has already been discussed, feel free to ignore this. But I've been watching some KH playthroughs lately, and hearing two different people comment on something has gotten me thinking again: why was there a door in front of the secret place the night the Islands fell?

Now, most likely there's no reason (other than to tell you that's where you're supposed to go). But since there is KH, and there is often times over complicated explanations for things, let's theorize.

For one thing, it looks a lot like the door that Sora saw in his dream and at the End of the World. Although I think it might be a different color, maybe? So what does that mean? Personally, I always thought it a representation of Kingdom Hearts or the Door to Light.

And also, is it possible that that is the door to the true Kingdom Hearts, that we have yet to see? After all, Kairi and the other Princesses of Heart are currently the substitute for the destroyed KH, and since that door led to her, could it mean something?

Let's also not forget that a time traveling Xehanort was interfering with that time, and purposefully put Kairi in that location as to lure Sora there.

So what do you all think? Does this hold any significance or not?

Also, and this is somewhat branching off slightly, but what exactly is the difference between Kingdom Hearts and the Door to Light?

Now that I think about it, very little detail has been given about the DtL, and Sora doesn't seem to have even told anyone that he went through it. But isn't KH the Door to Darkness, and therefore opposite to the DtL?

But yet... the true Light is said to sleep within Kingdom Hearts. And this... Well, this is all very confusing. What even is the purpose of the Door to Light, then? Especially if it's the Princesses who make up all the Light in the world? Hmm...

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
That door is the gate that leads to that specific world's heart, as in, the Keyhole that needs to be opened or locked in order to engulf that world into darkness or save it from it. Sadly, Ansem managed to track it down and engulf it in darkness, which is why when Sora approaches it in his last moments on the islands it releases a dark forces since the world's heart has already been infested by it.

In other worlds, that there is just there to represent where the world's heart is located, nothing else.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It still feels a bit odd that the Keyhole is behind a door that really serves no other purpose than making the location of it feel somewhat special to the player.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
I'll get back to you on the door in front of the secret place (or just lazily let someone else explain it). It's kind of an interesting topic, since so much happened during that night, but barely anything was ever explicitly stated on-screen.

Also, and this is somewhat branching off slightly, but what exactly is the difference between Kingdom Hearts and the Door to Light?
KH is the heart of everything, and arguably the light of everything. The DtL is a bit of an enigma, but based on how it's been used in the series (which is a grand total of two times), it acts as a path that brings its summoner to his or her home. In a way, one's home is one's light.

Now that I think about it, very little detail has been given about the DtL, and Sora doesn't seem to have even told anyone that he went through it. But isn't KH the Door to Darkness, and therefore opposite to the DtL?
KH isn't the DtD; rather, the DtD is the door that both connects and separates the RoL from the RoD, if you know what I mean. It's a door, so it's a pathway that connects them. However, it's a door that's meant to be closed, so it separates them.

Most people would agree that the DtD leads one directly to KH, but I'm a bit suspicious if it's as simple as that.

But yet... the true Light is said to sleep within Kingdom Hearts. And this... Well, this is all very confusing. What even is the purpose of the Door to Light, then? Especially if it's the Princesses who make up all the Light in the world? Hmm...
Personally, I think the DtL is meant to represent the concepts of connections and light (and maybe salvation) within the series. There's the light, and then there's the people that are drawn to it. Both times that Ven encountered Sora were because he was "drawn to the light." The door is essentially a path that connects them.

As for why it exists in a more literal sense, that I'm still wondering about, myself.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
That door is the gate that leads to that specific world's heart, as in, the Keyhole that needs to be opened or locked in order to engulf that world into darkness or save it from it. Sadly, Ansem managed to track it down and engulf it in darkness, which is why when Sora approaches it in his last moments on the islands it releases a dark forces since the world's heart has already been infested by it.

In other worlds, that there is just there to represent where the world's heart is located, nothing else.

OP is referring to the door that appeared at the entrance of the cave the night of the storm, not the one already inside the cave~

I never put too much thought into it because I automatically assumed game mechanics. Other than that though, I don't know how much the novels go into detail about it, but I recall that there's supposed to be a part where Kairi and Riku have a confrontation in the cave before Sora gets there. At the time, Kairi doesn't understand why, but her PoH instincts kick in and she goes to the cave to try and protect the Keyhole. It explains why she was there in the game and perhaps why that door was there. Perhaps Kairi unknowingly summoned it to keep more darkness from getting in.

Taking into consideration that Kairi's letter helped summon that door at the end of KH2 that brought Sora and Riku back home, Kairi saw the door that lead to the artificial KH Xemnas made before it even materialized, and that the joint power of the PoH can be used to summon the Door to Darkness, the PoH just seem to have a latent ability relating to magic doors. Then maybe the door leading into the cave the night of the storm was, unwittingly, produced by Kairi because of her PoH powers and her will to protect the Keyhole.

Edit: Oh, and there's Ven summoning the DtL as well.

Of course, this is also taking into consideration that the novels are of questionable continuity.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
Ruran said:
Of course, this is also taking into consideration that the novels are of questionable continuity
I've always taken them as 2nd canon so unless the game contradicts it otherwise I'd say the scene from the novel you mentioned sounds plausible.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
So, if this topic has already been discussed, feel free to ignore this. But I've been watching some KH playthroughs lately, and hearing two different people comment on something has gotten me thinking again: why was there a door in front of the secret place the night the Islands fell?

Now, most likely there's no reason (other than to tell you that's where you're supposed to go). But since there is KH, and there is often times over complicated explanations for things, let's theorize.

For one thing, it looks a lot like the door that Sora saw in his dream and at the End of the World. Although I think it might be a different color, maybe? So what does that mean? Personally, I always thought it a representation of Kingdom Hearts or the Door to Light.
It was a different color, I don't have the game in front of me but I know it's white. Also, I don't recall seeing the door when Xehanort shows Sora the flashback to that night in 3D.

And also, is it possible that that is the door to the true Kingdom Hearts, that we have yet to see? After all, Kairi and the other Princesses of Heart are currently the substitute for the destroyed KH, and since that door led to her, could it mean something?

Let's also not forget that a time traveling Xehanort was interfering with that time, and purposefully put Kairi in that location as to lure Sora there.
Kind of. The princesses are the embodiment of the shattered essence of light that made up half of the X-Blade. They are a counterpart, but not necessarily a replacement. As others have pointed out in this thread based on the novels, and just implications from the game Kairi was totally holding back the Darkness of the Keyhole. This is something the princesses are drawn to, they do it in Hollow Bastion. Kairi is exhausted by the time Sora arrives and as soon as she lets her guard down she collapses and the darkness overwhelms them. There were no Heartless in the cavern, and she wasn't putting up a struggle. It can only be inferred that she was holding the darkness back through will.

So yes, it's been known since the beginning that Xehanort knew Kairi was a princess and sent her into the sea of worlds in hope of luring a Keyblader into his clutches. Now we see exactly how he went about doing that. As for the door being something important? I can't see that happening. It was a mechanic that kept the player from entering the cavern before they gained the Keyblade. (Though it could become something, I guess) The best explanation that I can see that holds water is that Kairi inadvertently summoned it to prevent any more damage from arriving. Or, this could be the world's last line of defense for its heart that's summoned before it falls into darkness. Worlds hearts are shown to be capable of such things in Kingdom Hearts when they summon a second door to Darkness for Sora to confront Xemnas.

Also, don't forget that the Ansem reports mention that Xehanort found the door that let to Hollow Bastion's heart, as he opened it and summoned the Heartless.

The actual honest-to-goodness Kingdom Hearts is an entity that's never made its proper appearance in the series. It's been shown for a hot second in Birth by Sleep but it wasn't summoned properly so who can say. The Door to the Light, as it's been pointed out, is not the embodiment to light, but seems to be something that's summoned when a person needs to find their way. Think of it less in terms of it being a source of power but more of it as being a literal door. They're kind of like the anti-corridors of darkness.

Kingdom Hearts is NOT the door to darkness. The Door to Darkness that was summoned in Kingdom Hearts one was the literal door that separated the realms. It was the direct path to the Kingdom Hearts that Xehanort created in the first game from the hearts of the fallen worlds. It was something that was rigged and unreached. The Kingdom Hearts from the first game was a fake, just like the one from the second.

The true Kingdom Hearts and the true light still sleep within the deepest darkness, that's all that's known and all there is to it.

Last edited:

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
It was a different color, I don't have the game in front of me but I know it's white. Also, I don't recall seeing the door when Xehanort shows Sora the falshback to that night in 3D.

I checked and it looks like DDD proved the door was just a game mechanic because as you can see here:

The door is neither there when Sora goes into the secret place nor when Kairi flies out. So...

Nayru's Love

Awards
Kind of. The princesses are the embodiment of the shattered essence of light that made up half of the X-Blade. They are a counterpart, but not necessarily a replacement.
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I never finished DDD…But weren't the PoH substitutes for not the light of the X-Blade, but of KH?

I checked and it looks like DDD proved the door was just a game mechanic because as you can see here:
I wouldn't completely out-rule the possibility of the door being there canonically, since YX's flashback wasn't an exact mirror of the incident.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I never finished DDD…But weren't the PoH substitutes for not the light of the X-Blade, but of KH?

Nope. The princesses aren't a substitute for anything. They're the literal embodiment of the broken light of the X-Blade.

Yen Sid: As for the real X-blade, it did not survive the battle. The two elements
that created it, one of darkness and one of light, shattered into twenty
pieces--seven of light; thirteen of darkness.
The secret ending:

Yen Sid: The Keyblade Wars of yore plunged the true Kingdom Hearts into
darkness, and the X-blade was shattered. But the light still shining in
the hearts of children rebuilt the world that we know today. And the light
from the broken X-blade was then divided into seven, to protect the
number of pure hearts in the world.

Mickey: Seven pure lights. They're...the princesses of heart.

Yen Sid: Indeed. Those seven pure hearts form the very source of all light
in the world. If they are lost, the world will again give way to shadow.
Thus, even if we deliberately avoid finding our seven lights to avert
another Keyblade War, Xehanort will still target the seven princesses in
order to forge the X-blade.

Gram

Banned
Awards

Nope. The princesses aren't a substitute for anything. They're the literal embodiment of the broken light of the X-Blade.

Actually the PoH ARE the substitutes for the true kh as explained by Yen Sid in DDD. They act as the source of light in it's place and are the pillars that uphold the realm of light itself.

It is only indirectly implied by Yen Sid that the original PoH carried the 7 light shards of the x-blade.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Actually the PoH ARE the substitutes for the true kh as explained by Yen Sid in DDD. They act as the source of light in it's place and are the pillars that uphold the realm of light itself.

It is only indirectly implied by Yen Sid that the original PoH carried the 7 light shards of the x-blade.

I think substitute's the wrong word. The X-Blade existed alongside Kingdom Hearts, not in place of it.

It wasn't an implication. Mickey asked if the seven lights of the X-Blade were the Princess and Yen Sid answers, as you see above, indeed. They definitely do uphold the realm of light, and one could say that act as the light in the realm of light what with Kingdom Hearts being away but again, wouldn't call them the substitute.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I think substitute's the wrong word. The X-Blade existed alongside Kingdom Hearts, not in place of it.

It wasn't an implication. Mickey asked if the seven lights of the X-Blade were the Princess and Yen Sid answers, as you see above, indeed. They definitely do uphold the realm of light, and one could say that act as the light in the realm of light what with Kingdom Hearts being away but again, wouldn't call them the substitute.

Your misunderstanding, the xblade pieces aren't the substitutes the PoH are. Whether it existed with kh or not isn't the point as the PoH themselves act as the source of light in the the Light Realm and uphold it like pillars in place of the true Kingdom Hearts itself.

To do something in something elses place is, by very definition, a substitute.

No ones saying their a substitute kingdom hearts but they do act as it's substitute in areas that the true kh itself used to fulfill.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Your misunderstanding, the xblade pieces aren't the substitutes the PoH are. Whether it existed with kh or not isn't the point as the PoH themselves act as the source of light in the the Light Realm and uphold it like pillars in place of the true Kingdom Hearts itself.

To do something in something elses place is, by very definition, a substitute.

No ones saying their a substitute kingdom hearts but they do act as it's substitute in areas that the true kh itself used to fulfill.

There is some sort of misunderstanding going on here, because my point is that the pieces ARE the princesses. I'm not differentiating between the two because they are the same. The seven light pieces are the pure hearts of the princesses.

My posts were only to reiterate that. Be as pedantic as possible, but my point was that the princesses weren't created as a replacement for the light of Kingdom Hearts, their light was originally half of the entity known as the X-Blade.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
There is some sort of misunderstanding going on here, because my point is that the pieces ARE the princesses. I'm not differentiating between the two because they are the same. The seven light pieces are the pure hearts of the princesses.

My posts were only to reiterate that. Be as as possible, but my point was that the princesses weren't created as a replacement for the light of Kingdom Hearts, their light was originally half of the entity known as the X-Blade.

There is a misunderstanding alright.
The princesses aren't just X-blade pieces though, the pieces give them their powers yes but the PoH are very much people. This much I understand about your post.

It's the second part you seem to be misunderstanding ME on. No one EVER said they was created as a kh substitute. Just that they ACT as replacements for the light of the Light Realm IN PLACE of the true kh that was lost.

Meaning they act as a substitute for the true kh's light in the world.

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
There is a misunderstanding alright.
The princesses aren't just X-blade pieces though, the pieces give them their powers yes but the PoH are very much people. This much I understand about your post.

It's the second part you seem to be misunderstanding ME on. No one EVER said they was created as a kh substitute. Just that they ACT as replacements for the light of the Light Realm IN PLACE of the true kh that was lost.

Ok, you could say that but I stand by what I was saying originally which was in answering both the OP and Nayru's Love's posts which seemed to imply that they view the princesses as either a synthetic occurrence that was created in place of one or the other. All I wanted to be understood was that the princesses were something else.

The reason I'm not accepting the substitute/replacement terminology is because the light in the first place was in a different form but existed alongside the light of Kingdom Hearts in the first place. The way this would work is more analogous to there being two light bulbs on in a dark room and the big one going off as opposed to there being a single lightbulb that gets removed and replaced.

(Or technically, one light bulb being swallowed and the other exploding into seven smaller light bulbs) This is all semantics on my part, though. If you want to call them a substitute then call them that just understand that they are half of the X-Blade. You said that was implied, and it just wasn't implicit. I didn't want the OP or anyone else to get the wrong idea.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Ok, you could say that but I stand by what I was saying originally which was in answering both the OP and Nayru's Love's posts which seemed to imply that they view the princesses as either a synthetic occurrence that was created in place of one or the other. All I wanted to be understood was that the princesses were something else.
That's understandable but it's not what they were implying, at least intentionally. You can't create a kh, Xehanort has done tried after all lol.

The reason I'm not accepting the substitute/replacement terminology is because the light in the first place was in a different form but existed alongside the light of Kingdom Hearts in the first place. The way this would work is more analogous to there being two light bulbs on in a dark room and the big one going off as opposed to there being a single lightbulb that gets removed and replaced.
That's just dancing around it though. A substitute is something that works in place or something else, they dont have to be exactly the same, just serve a similar purpose which is what the PoH do in the series.

And it's cause the x-blade existed ALONGSIDE kingdom hearts that allows them to fulfill this role.

(Or technically, one light bulb being swallowed and the other exploding into seven smaller light bulbs) This is all semantics on my part, though. If you want to call them a substitute then call them that just understand that they are half of the X-Blade. You said that was implied, and it just wasn't implicit. I didn't want the OP or anyone else to get the wrong idea.
Again your the only one that's got the wrong idea. Everyone knows they originated because of the x-blade but that doesn't change the fact that they are, very much, a substitute light source and pillar of the world in place of the original kingdom hearts in which the xblade co-existed with.

The only semantics in this thread are your own.

Nayru's Love

Awards
Yen Sid said:
And the light
from the broken X-blade was then divided into seven, to protect the
number of pure hearts in the world.

Mickey: Seven pure lights. They're...the princesses of heart.

Thus, even if we deliberately avoid finding our seven lights to avert
another Keyblade War, Xehanort will still target the seven princesses in
order to forge the X-blade.

Edit: Quoting coding is broken :x

I think these quotes differentiate the seven X-Blade lights from the seven PoH pretty clearly. The first quote, in particular, states that the seven X-Blade lights (or the GoL, as we know them) were meant to protect the seven PoH. Unless the GoL are the PoH (which, ironically enough, Kairi is a likely to fit that criteria), then the PoH aren't directly affiliated with the X-Blade.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Bah, the semantics clearly aren't my own because the discussion is ongoing!

Edit: Quoting coding is broken :x

I think these quotes differentiate the seven X-Blade lights from the seven PoH pretty clearly. The first quote, in particular, states that the seven X-Blade lights (or the GoL, as we know them) were meant to protect the seven PoH. Unless the GoL are the PoH (which, ironically enough, Kairi is a likely to fit that criteria), then the PoH aren't directly affiliated with the X-Blade.

Bahahaha. Now I have confused myself on my own quote and interpretation of the scene! Mickey was referring to a different set of lights than the ones that shattered. Oh how often this happens, even with the most dedicated of fans.
The seven lights were created to protect the seven hearts, and thus the entire thing can either be replicated by striking down the princesses or having the seven guardians come up to bat.
Oy, my thought process was in reverse. The GoL or the PoH can be used in the equation. That is where the wires were crossed. Oh, my head.

In conclusion, I have wasted a small amount of my own time, and none of this really has anything to do with the white door on Destiny Islands in the first place.

Theta

Why would the door be a game mechanic? It really doesn't seem to fit the spirit of the first game to make things that easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back