• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why looks Eraqus so young while Yen Sid and Xehanort both look old?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

JR199913

Bronze Member
Awards
So today i was talking with my party about 2.5 remix. And now i have a question. So Eraqus, Yen Sid and Master Xehanort trained all on the same time right??? So they were like trainings partners. Yen Sid and Master Xehanort are both old, but Eraqus is young (or he looks young). How can that be??? I mean they should have been around the same age if they were trainings partners. (also sorry if i have a lot if my grammar is kinda confusing).

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Are Terra, Aqua and Ven all about the same age?
Unlike the SRK-trio which has no "real" age gap at all and the RAX-trio with only Axel/Lea being older, the TAV-trio has a bigger age gap as Terra and Aqua are around the 18 to 22 age range, while Ven is the youngest with being around 14/15.

It's entirely possible that Eraqus was also the youngest out of the Yen Sid/Xehanort/Eraqus trinity and besides that he's also not that young.
Eraqus is at least in his late fifties if not already way over sixty.

Then there is of course the issue that people may age differently depending on their circumstances. Eraqus possibly just aged better than Yen Sid and Xehanort did, with Xehanort actually also having the additional issue of travelling around countless worlds like a madman.

JR199913

Bronze Member
Awards
Are Terra, Aqua and Ven all about the same age?
Unlike the SRK-trio which has no "real" age gap at all and the RAX-trio with only Axel/Lea being older, the TAV-trio has a bigger age gap as Terra and Aqua are around the 18 to 22 age range, while Ven is the youngest with being around 14/15.

It's entirely possible that Eraqus was also the youngest out of the Yen Sid/Xehanort/Eraqus trinity and besides that he's also not that young.
Eraqus is at least in his late fifties if not already way over sixty.

Then there is of course the issue that people may age differently depending on their circumstances. Eraqus possibly just aged better than Yen Sid and Xehanort did, with Xehanort actually also having the additional issue of travelling around countless worlds like a madman.
Ok i assumed already that Eraqus was the youngest. So then if w assume he is like 60 maybe. And then we have Xehanort who aged because he travelled to a lot of worlds. We still have Yen Sid. He even looks older then Xehanort. So if we take Xehanort 80 and Yen Sid like 90. There is still like a 30 years gap. I don't think Yen Sid started when he was like 40 and Eraqus 10 (if we assume that's the earliest age one can start the training of a keyblade wielder). That wouldn't make any sense. I mean no one will be choosen as a keyblade wielder at his 40th.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Don't let the long beard fool you so much. Yen Sid actually doesn't look that much older than Xehanort. In fact, when he stands or moves (which he does rarely, granted), he looks like he's in a way better shape than MX who has a crooked back.
Then there's also MX himself, while he admittedly looks like an old man that can be surely placed within his seventies, he does not have many wrinkles or feeble, slow movements that normally are a sign of a very old person.
Considering that we also do not know the average life expectancy of a human in the KH-Universe, we also cannot say that something we define as "very old" in our 2013-Earth viewpoint holds also merit for humans in the KH-Universe.

When TAV has a five-to-seven year age gap between their trio-members, I do not think that a ten-to-fifteen year gap is so totally out of the question.

Besides, as Terra said so pointedly to Braig in BBS, Keyblades tend to be picky about their owners, and I wouldn't put it past for a Keyblade to appear to its intended wielder late in their lifetime.

Lea got his Keyblade at around 23/24/25 years of age, so even if Eraqus was ten and Yen Sid 25 at them getting their Keyblades, it's a reasonable fifteen years between them.

Of course another problem might be that we actually do not have any clear age values for characters other than Sora, Riku and Kairi.
Ventus is most often placed in the 13 (min) to 15 (max) age range due to his main model being nearly identical to KH 2-Roxas while Aqua's 18 to 22 and Terra's 19 to 24 is based on the sole information that both Aqua and Terra are significantly older than Ven and Terra is the oldest of the trio.

With Yen Sid, Eraqus and Xehanort we can really only go by looks, which can be very deceiving indeed.

JR199913

Bronze Member
Awards
Don't let the long beard fool you so much. Yen Sid actually doesn't look that much older than Xehanort. In fact, when he stands or moves (which he does rarely, granted), he looks like he's in a way better shape than MX who has a crooked back.
Then there's also MX himself, while he admittedly looks like an old man that can be surely placed within his seventies, he does not have many wrinkles or feeble, slow movements that normally are a sign of a very old person.
Considering that we also do not know the average life expectancy of a human in the KH-Universe, we also cannot say that something we define as "very old" in our 2013-Earth viewpoint holds also merit for humans in the KH-Universe.

When TAV has a five-to-seven year age gap between their trio-members, I do not think that a ten-to-fifteen year gap is so totally out of the question.

Besides, as Terra said so pointedly to Braig in BBS, Keyblades tend to be picky about their owners, and I wouldn't put it past for a Keyblade to appear to its intended wielder late in their lifetime.

Lea got his Keyblade at around 23/24/25 years of age, so even if Eraqus was ten and Yen Sid 25 at them getting their Keyblades, it's a reasonable fifteen years between them.

Of course another problem might be that we actually do not have any clear age values for characters other than Sora, Riku and Kairi.
Ventus is most often placed in the 13 (min) to 15 (max) age range due to his main model being nearly identical to KH 2-Roxas while Aqua's 18 to 22 and Terra's 19 to 24 is based on the sole information that both Aqua and Terra are significantly older than Ven and Terra is the oldest of the trio.

With Yen Sid, Eraqus and Xehanort we can really only go by looks, which can be very deceiving indeed.
Ok guess that's a good explanation. Thx :)

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
First of all, genes are a VERY powerful thing in real life so it's entirely possible that they could all the same age but Eraqu's genes could have favored him keeping color in his hair and keeping his hair (2 factors that really affect how old someone looks are the presence of hair and the color of it).

Another thing to really keep in mind is that time flows differently in every world. Eraqus has presumably been at LoD for a very long time while YenSid and Xehanort have been off in other worlds clearly. It is entirely possible that they started out the same age but because of the worlds they were in, they surpassed him due to existing in worlds with a faster time.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Another thing to really keep in mind is that time flows differently in every world. Eraqus has presumably been at LoD for a very long time while YenSid and Xehanort have been off in other worlds clearly. It is entirely possible that they started out the same age but because of the worlds they were in, they surpassed him due to existing in worlds with a faster time.

This likely plays some factor in the varying age on top of what Sephiroth pointed out.

Though that's also assuming they all started at the same time. MX mentions meeting Eraqus in his reports but he doesn't specify if Eraqus was already there in training or if Earqus came later.

And as for Yen sid, aside from Eraqus calling him an old friend, I dont remember it ever being stated they trained together or even if they had the same master.
So Yen Sid could've been training before either for all we know.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
And as for Yen sid, aside from Eraqus calling him an old friend, I dont remember it ever being stated they trained together or even if they had the same master.
So Yen Sid could've been training before either for all we know.

When you talk with Yen Sid using Terra outside of cutscenes, he mentions something along that notion though:

Birth by Sleep said:
Yen Sid: There was a time when I walked the path of the Keyblade Master
alongside Eraqus and Xehanort. But the three of us have gone our separate ways.

It isn't an outright confirmation, but it heavily hints at the three of them spending some time together in the past, especially the last sentence.

Gram

Banned
Awards
When you talk with Yen Sid using Terra outside of cutscenes, he mentions something along that notion though:

It isn't an outright confirmation, but it heavily hints at the three of them spending some time together in the past, especially the last sentence.

Yes but spending time together in the past as friends doesn't mean they done so as fellow students.

Pestilence

Awards
Eraqus is Sakaguchi so he has those japanese genes that stop your aging once you hit 30 and lasts till you hit 80.

Korai

Awards
So today i was talking with my party about 2.5 remix. And now i have a question. So Eraqus, Yen Sid and Master Xehanort trained all on the same time right??? So they were like trainings partners. Yen Sid and Master Xehanort are both old, but Eraqus is young (or he looks young). How can that be??? I mean they should have been around the same age if they were trainings partners. (also sorry if i have a lot if my grammar is kinda confusing).
Well, I'd imagine that a 17-20 year old Xehanort trained with a 11-15 year old Yen Sid and a 7-10 year old Eraqus back in the day.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Well, I'd imagine that a 17-20 year old Xehanort trained with a 11-15 year old Yen Sid and a 7-10 year old Eraqus back in the day.

But even that would only put Xehanort 10 years over Eraqus and Yensid close to 5 years above him when Xehanort looked WAY older than Eraqus and Yensid also looked at least 10 years older. It could be genes or the world, or anything really, but I'm betting the reason they look so different is because that's how Nomura drew them. Yeah, the realist in me just went there <_<

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I find it amusing how some could get so concerned about Eraqus, Xehanort, and Yen Sid being of significantly different ages. XD Is it considered weird because the age gap between Sora, Riku, and Kairi, or Terra, Aqua, and Ventus, isn't that wide?

It wasn't said that there are minimum and maximum age limits to be taken under a Keyblade Master's tutelage. As said before, Eraqus could've been the youngest of the bunch, like probably 15 when he started training, while Xehanort could've actually been 30 or so. Yen Sid could've been in-between.

In addition to time flowing differently in different worlds, genetics do affect how people age. With some genetic make-up, you stay in your prime appearance longer than others, while with some other, for a shorter period of time. I've seen people in their 60s and 70s appearing younger than they are, as well as those appearing as old or even older (trust me, there are quite a few of them where I live, and they can get truly grumpy sometimes).

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I find it amusing how some could get so concerned about Eraqus, Xehanort, and Yen Sid being of significantly different ages. XD Is it considered weird because the age gap between Sora, Riku, and Kairi, or Terra, Aqua, and Ventus, isn't that wide?

It wasn't said that there are minimum and maximum age limits to be taken under a Keyblade Master's tutelage. As said before, Eraqus could've been the youngest of the bunch, like probably 15 when he started training, while Xehanort could've actually been 30 or so. Yen Sid could've been in-between.

In addition to time flowing differently in different worlds, genetics do affect how people age. With some genetic make-up, you stay in your prime appearance longer than others, while with some other, for a shorter period of time. I've seen people in their 60s and 70s appearing younger than they are, as well as those appearing as old or even older (trust me, there are quite a few of them where I live, and they can get truly grumpy sometimes).

I think that xehanort, eraqus, and yen sid were around the same age. Yen Sid might have been a few years older

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Lol, seeing some of the following comments here I start to imagine we're really going into a bit of overthinking mode here.

We have had several explanations as to why Xehanort, Yen Sid and Eraqus can look like they do, from starting their training at vastly different ages over different timeflows in different worlds right up to their genetic make-up.
I don't find it too hard to choose one of those as a plausible explanation and stick with that interpretation, as I also highly doubt that this will ever be directly addressed.

In fact, except Sora, Riku and Kairi (as well as Naminé and Roxas by proxy, and chronologically they're also only one year old) we do not know any of the ages of the major original characters nor of most of the Disney and FF crew.

Gram

Banned
Awards
In fact, except Sora, Riku and Kairi (as well as Naminé and Roxas by proxy, and chronologically they're also only one year old) we do not know any of the ages of the major original characters nor of most of the Disney and FF crew.

Looking back on the thread it may be that way for this very reason. xD

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

I'm going to assume Ven is 15 because as you mentioned, he's identical in nearly every way to Roxas's current model. Terra's age is actually easier to pinpoint, because Nomura says Xemnas seems to be about 30 meaning he'd have been about 20 when he turned into a Nobody and year before that was when Terra was possessed making Terra approximately 19. Aqua's harder to guess, but I imagine she's the range you predict. Nothing to go on though, even her voices are a puzzle as the american actress was 18 and the Japanese was significantly older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back