• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why isn't this game the best in the series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
There's basically no scenes that actually further the plot in any significant way between the start and bh6. The small bits of story we get is Sora in the gummi ship ruminating on a) the power of waking and b) wanting to go to the RoD. All of this is stuff that we already knew and therefore doesn't do anything for KH3 on itself. The only thing we get are two scenes that talk about Replicas and that's it.

The main plot for this game should have been more bombastic and given just as much importance as the Disney worlds, instead we get the slightest information on exactly two characters that further the main plot in any significant way and the rest is ux.

The problem is that characters returning is like 95% of KH3s plot, which is why it's so egregious.

And perhaps I should have been clearer; DDD explained what the rules or time travel were and explained the plot it had. The only thing in that game that we possibly weren't sure of was the Riku that shows up in monstro and the 13 SoD. And the rest was leading to KH3.

This is much more than what KH3 does, where it just shows you the endpoint of all these stories - which BTW, everyone knew would happen, we all knew the characters were coming back - but the complete lack of journey to that point is inexcusable.

By simplifying its story KH3 lost out. It should have just embraced the madness

Yeah, okay, I guess I can see why that upsets you. Like real talk, I don't enjoy how the "main" story really doesn't kick in till the end. I guess in that way this game really did just feel like its main point was to tie up all the loose ends we have had (and make some new mysteries for the next saga)

I guess...I was worried about them adding too much to do cuz saving everyone already seemed like a lot lol. Like as soon as they showed Dark Aqua at E3 I was annoyed cuz I felt it was taking away from what really needed done. So I guess the game doing EXACTLY what was needed...didn't bother me personally. But I can see why that would bother others. It really did exactly what we all expected in its main story beats, minus maybe the ending lol, so I can see why you wanted more? If that's what you were trying to say at least lol.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Just because the game flaunts some extremely superficial foreshadowing and word vomits back story doesn't make it a coherent or compelling journey. I just got through the BH6 world and every scene with Dark Riku is like the experiential equivalent of shoving spoonfuls of dry cereal in one's mouth. Nomura's approach with KH3 is basically you're going to get one flavor of this cereal and you're going to like it.

Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy also bills itself as a journey in three parts but it suffers from the same inability to extract a meaningful and moving progression of ideas from an insufficient and overextended premise. It certainly has all the raw components of a story borrowed from its accompanying source material, much like the Disney dreck in KH3, but that doesn't make for a rewarding experience in and of itself. KH3 is like that: it suffers from a failure to synthesize its basic parts into a fulfilling sum total.

Central Station

In my opinion it came down to pacing, story structure and time.

Other games did those things a lot better. The pacing of this game and the way they structured the story and what the story of KH3 was doesnt hold a candle to any of the other games.
KH3s story by itself is not that compelling. It had potential to be but it wasnt done that great.

Sora! You've lost your powers! Go get them back and while you're at it be looking for our lost friends!

That premise is good. But the entire time I was playing through the worlds, I kept wondering, "How is what I'm doing tied to getting back the lost power of waking?? Why am I here?"
And the entire time they dont really capitalize on the mystery of the game- being that they're looking for someone.

We've been looking for people in almost every game and in those games that was really central. The person was mentioned, the person was asked about. I shouldnt have to go, 'Oh yeah, we're also trying to find Terra' when some one brings him up. Because he hasnt been brought up in several hours and multiple worlds.

As opposed to say KH1 or KH2 where that persons absence is felt and the fact that we might find something about them in the next world always being a hope when we get there and travel through it.

Thats absent in KH3 for a lot of the game outside of when we switch to Riku and Mickey and when we find Aqua and she takes us to Ven.

It didnt feel like what we were doing for most of the game as Sora was pushing the plot forward.

Ienzo and co are working on finding a way to bring Roxas and Namine back, Lea and Kairi are training, Riku and Mickey are loking for Aqua.
While we were just sort of messing arround in Disney worlds.

If we had got to go to RG and meet with Ienzo and that was tied into the plot more for us to help him with getting Roxas back, if we went to train with Kairi and Lea, if we had been with Riku and the king to help them- in other words if we had spent more time with them and helped them in moving the plot forward- i feel this wouldve been stronger.

Soras story and adventure in KH3 wasnt very compelling by comparison to previous games.
I kept thinking while I was playing, I wish we could go with Riku, I wish we could go catch up with Kairi and Lea, I wish something was happening in RG for us to go help with.
I'm not saying they had an easy job to balance all these characters- some of whom have been main characters in their own stories- but this should've been an Avengers with Sora at the center.
We've seen everyones story and now we come together and be together while playing as our main character again.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
To echo what every one else said "best" will always be subjective unless it the only one that is =D

To answer your question (Short version)

The game's pacing is train wreck. some of the worst i seen. same goes for the story. You can have a pretty bad story and still deliver it properly. KH3 doesn't handle the overall narrative good at all.

now the long unfinished version ...

Here is a rough review i was working on bout held off on completing because I feel like i wasn't being fair. I wanted to give the game a second play through first.

13 years after Kingdom Hearts II we finally get a true sequel… Well sort of.

Pros:
• Graphics are amazing
• Music is your typically goodness that you get from Square Enix and Yoko Shimomura
• Worlds feel more alive
• Voice Acting Performances are actually really good this time around.

Cons:
• Pacing
• Difficulty
• Lack of features
• No Final Fantasy Characters make appearances.
• Non- voiced characters shouldn’t even be in cutscenes…
• Supporting cast (outside of main cast) has no Character Development

What is it?
Kingdom Hearts III is technically the 10th game in the series (Kingdom Hearts X, Birth By Sleep, Birth by sleep 0.2, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts II, Kingdom Hearts: Coded, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, and Finally Kingdom Hearts III). While the previous games largely focused on hand drawn Disney Classic, Kingdom Hearts III takes a different route by focusing on the CGI films from Pixar and Disney Animation Studios (and it looks amazing). The overall purpose is the conclude the Xehanort / Darkseeker saga that began in Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

What Worked and What didn’t work?
To get the biggest elephant out the room I’ll go ahead and start by talking about the graphics. Square Enix did an amazing job recreating the CGI from Disney’s famed films. Most of the worlds are vast, colorful and beautifully designed. Character animations are also top notch which should be expected being that the last Square had a whole generation off to work on this (no home console game has been released since Kingdom Hearts II which was a Sony Playstation 2 game.).
To change the pace a bit (pun intended) Kingdom Hearts III clearly failed in the pacing department. In all previous Kingdom hearts games, you have a main story that follows the protagonist Sora & co. and then with in each Disney world there is a story that usually follows the story of the film of which it has spawned from. Kingdom Hearts II expanded on this by giving each world a second visit where the it also contributed to the main story of the protagonist. Kingdom Hearts III basically took that chemistry and threw it out the window. You will visit every world once and get your story that way. the problem is that all the main protagonists’ story is basically ignored until the last 2 ½ - 3 hours of the game. Its way to crammed and, way too much info to take in at once. If you haven’t been following the series as closely as me (I played and 100% every game except KH3 and Union X) the end game storyline will feel like a convoluted mess and will leave you scratching your head wondering if you missed something. Disney and Sqaure Enix are better than this, and I’m not sure whether it was time constrains or just terrible writing / planning on Square’s behalf.
On the Audio side of thing Square / Disney hit it out of the ball park as usual. Starting from the opening Orchestral version of “Don’t Think Twice” or the Full-on dubstep pop song “Face My Fears” as heard in CGI opening movie of the game to the awesome voice acting work done by basically everyone. I enjoyed the “Let It Go” segment in Arendelle. The only questionable audio portions I found were their choice not to voice some characters like Dillan and Aeleus from radiant garden, as well as Phil from Olympus. My thought is if you aren’t going to voice them don’t have them on screen during cutscenes.
Character Development for the Main Cast shows, especially in Donald and Sora. Goofy didn’t really change much since Kingdom Hearts II. The supporting cast got little to no character development. Riku is still Riku but, he didn’t develop much since becoming a Master in Kingdom Hearts III. Lea (Axel) seems to be the same guy as he has been in the previous titles. Kairi was all hyped to a factor this game and she was the biggest character disappointment in the series. Aqua, I thought once she was saved from the realm of darkness, we would get the bad-ass female protagonist from Birth by Sleep back but no, she should be demoted to an apprentice again (Aqua became as useless as kairi.) Mickey is Mickey… Terra, Ven, Roxas, Xion, all seen little to no screen time, so I won’t even comment on them (Well except for Roxas, who is awesome. He deserved way more screen time than he has received).

Wrap Up:
Was Kingdom Hearts III a bad game? No, it was good for what it is, and that is a conclusion to about 9 of the previous games. As a standalone game it a lot of issues. New fans will be lost, as well as fans who have only have only played the main titles and purchased the Xbox One version. This makes you wonder why they refuse to put the HD 1.5 and 2.5 collections on the Xbox One…. I’m just hoping that it doesn’t take another 5-6 years to develop the next entry to the series. Honestly speaking, I Feel Kingdom Hearts 3D was handled better than KH3 and it took less than ½ the time to develop. I’m very interested to see what the Series Director / Creator Tetsuya Nomura has to say about the game. He generally does a interview after the Japanese release of his games so I’m very curious of his thoughts. All in all I do recommend this game to long time Kingdom Hearts fans. If you are new to the series, I still recommend it bout I strongly suggest playing the previous HD Collections to get caught up. The whole end game stuff will be a train wreck if you don’t understand the overall story across 10 games.

Last edited:

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
That premise is good. But the entire time I was playing through the worlds, I kept wondering, "How is what I'm doing tied to getting back the lost power of waking?? Why am I here?"
And the entire time they dont really capitalize on the mystery of the game- being that they're looking for someone.
Exactly, KH3 had its work cut out for it with both the rubric of past mainline titles and the wealth of dramatic precedent to draw off of from the games between 2 and 3. All this game needed to do was start connecting the dots and keep the plot moving towards the inevitable conclusion but instead it keeps stalling, and stalling, and stalling for time-- and what we do in the interim is not fun or interesting. Badly rehashed Disney movies and fetch quests sprinkled between extraneous dialogue delivered by villains who have no reason to be there. Every other KH game has clearly driven antagonists who want something specific and identifiable-- Marluxia, Larxene, Luxord, and Dark Riku have no reason to align themselves with MX that is ever explored, it's just taken for granted that they did even as they behave with total ambivalence towards the events of the game. Couple that with Sora's lack of explicit motive for exploring Disneyland, and a constant lack of follow through on that, and there's simply no clash or tension to speak of. I can't believe how vanilla and non threatening Larxene, one of my former favs and one of the most legitimately evil and cruel characters in KH, is in this game. If it wasn't for her VAs stellar performance, she'd be a forgettable third rate "harpy" like most femme anime villains.

We've been looking for people in almost every game and in those games that was really central. The person was mentioned, the person was asked about. I shouldnt have to go, 'Oh yeah, we're also trying to find Terra' when some one brings him up. Because he hasnt been brought up in several hours and multiple worlds.
It's even worse than that: not only do we forget and have to be reminded, Sora himself frequently forgets or dismisses what he's supposed to be doing, but then he'll randomly oscillate towards immense concern (depicted here as adolescent whining) over, say, Aqua's fate. He's an absent protagonist and stale audience surrogate when he isn't busy being a functioning black hole for plot threads that don't directly involve him or the mobile game. Sora shows up, does something to fix a problem, the game moves on. Nothing lingers like it's important at all, and the game relegates all of the dynamics upon which it was built and anticipated to a second tier of priorities right behind telling us Sora is cool and making sure absolutely nothing gets done for 25 hrs of playtime (or, if you're slow like me, 40+).

As opposed to say KH1 or KH2 where that persons absence is felt and the fact that we might find something about them in the next world always being a hope when we get there and travel through it.
Moreover, real progress in world building or constructing stakes is made. Prior to KH3, KH2 had the worst record on Disney integration, but even then the very first visit to Land of Departure involves Sora learning something tenuous though it may be about Riku's whereabouts and well being. Sora actually interacts with the Emperor and there's payoff for traveling through that world and helping Mulan with her quest. Meanwhile in KH3 the very first thing Sora does in that world is to forget why he's there, then it ends with Hercules basically acting like he doesn't know or remember why Sora was there either, but it's all good because now he's found where he belongs???

Ienzo and co are working on finding a way to bring Roxas and Namine back, Lea and Kairi are training, Riku and Mickey are loking for Aqua.
While we were just sort of messing arround in Disney worlds.

If we had got to go to RG and meet with Ienzo and that was tied into the plot more for us to help him with getting Roxas back, if we went to train with Kairi and Lea, if we had been with Riku and the king to help them- in other words if we had spent more time with them and helped them in moving the plot forward- i feel this wouldve been stronger.
Yeah I'm just going to say it, the Gummi Phone sucks. It's just a lazy excuse to have characters interact without doing the hard work of constructing an actual scene with them and making that impactful. Literally anything else would have been better, do heart holograms like some Star Wars shit or something, but make it at least look as if the characters are sharing space and bouncing off each other. There is actually nothing more boring or disengaging than watching people talk about plot on the fucking phone, unless you are using the cutaway as an opportunity for genuine expressiveness and to convey the faultiness of faceless/impersonal interaction in giving people a read on each other (see: that interplay in Burn After Reading). In short, technological modes of communciation are bad for building rapport between characters and should be very limited and very purposeful.

More to the point though, yeah, KH3 fails at providing an incentivizing sense of momentum: Sora needed to know something was at stake and it never once felt like he did, or if he did it wasn't serious enough to make him care. Knowing that he had a specific goal to solve the dilemma with Roxas, something Ienzo needed him to seek out and which maybe the True Org. could point him towards, would foster an actual sense of interconnection within the narrative. Nope, KH3 can't have that. Eat your cereal.

Back