• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why isn't there a Nomura art book?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zackarix

Awards
Preferably KH-based, but I'm not picky. I love his style so much and would absolutely pay to have physical copies! Especially if it included cleaned up versions of the amazing storyboards he did.

And before anyone says it I know that some art books have been released for the series. But they're hard to find and don't contain just Nomura's art.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
He doesn't seem interested, or I guess it didn't occur to him to do one. When asked about it at the SE Osaka cafe event in 2017, he just said there are no plans to release a collection of his work.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
I’ve wondered this myself, it’s a pity really. KH aside, his work stretches all the way back to FFV doesn’t it? Difficult to actually track down and find everything he’s worked on. Genre-defining in more ways than one; if Amano is the king, Nomura is an easy 2nd and deserves his own artbooks just as much.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
They don’t even have to do just his art? Like why do we not have Art of KH or Art of TWEWY or any number of art books of games he’s worked on with all of the art done by all of the artists on these games. There is plenty of art they don’t show in the Ultimanias and other guidebooks that could fill entire volumes and instead SE and Nomura just let that art rot in some archive…

Zackarix

Awards
They don’t even have to do just his art? Like why do we not have Art of KH
This sort of exists, at least for KH1 and KH2. But the only book on that page that isn't super expensive or hard to track down is a collection of Shiro Amano's art which is in dire need of a volume 2 if the original publication date of 2007 is accurate. Assuming that wiki page is complete the last KH art book was published in 2010, so it's clearly not a product modern SE is interested in.

But looking at the existing books maybe part of the problem was that they seemed to be glorified marketing material first and celebrations of the artwork second. Which makes sense because SE is a game company and not an art book publisher, but it's still disappointing.

Another possible factor is that Yoshitaka Amano is a career artist. He's probably an active force in getting books of his art published because it furthers his career. Whereas Nomura's art has mostly been involved in the creation and promotion of games. He might not even realize that there's a potential market for his work alone.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
I wonder the same thing, and really not one.

And if not that, the kind of thing Oracle Spockanort was saying. Like, the KH art books they give us always show us the same images we already know (and I really shouldn't complain about this. Maybe they don't know most KH fans look into the art that diligently? And it's better than nothing), when we'd rather have rare things like the picture of Alice's stained glass platform that was scrapped and has barely been seen. Alas.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
This sort of exists, at least for KH1 and KH2. But the only book on that page that isn't super expensive or hard to track down is a collection of Shiro Amano's art which is in dire need of a volume 2 if the original publication date of 2007 is accurate. Assuming that wiki page is complete the last KH art book was published in 2010, so it's clearly not a product modern SE is interested in.

But looking at the existing books maybe part of the problem was that they seemed to be glorified marketing material first and celebrations of the artwork second. Which makes sense because SE is a game company and not an art book publisher, but it's still disappointing.

Another possible factor is that Yoshitaka Amano is a career artist. He's probably an active force in getting books of his art published because it furthers his career. Whereas Nomura's art has mostly been involved in the creation and promotion of games. He might not even realize that there's a potential market for his work alone.
The visual art books were...blah. Mostly art you could find in the Ultimanias, but without the bloat of an Ultimania.

The BBS art book was just one of those bonus books you got for preorder if I remember correctly. It was filled with art easily found from the Ultimania.

SE prints art books for plenty of their other games. Bravely Default, for example, has multiple art books filled to the brim with concept art.

The issue is probably a weird mix of multiple things.

1) SE or Nomura not having an interest/realizing there is an interest from fans
2) Licensing issues with Disney causing difficulties with producing a book of this nature for KH

Disney has always been in the business of making art books, especially ones with detailed explanations behind concepts or about the world of the property the art book is for. SE is also in the business of making art books, filled with similar descriptions or with interviews. But both are also notoriously secretive...

Disney has an archive filled with stuff that has never seen the light of day. SE just fucks up and loses files lololol

And now imagine you have to have Disney approve stuff and Nomura has to approve stuff. They have agree on what should be revealed and what shouldn't. What Disney concepts can go in, how much profits are split...who publishes it???

It's not like the Ultimanias which are big game guides with art and interviews inside. This would be JUST an art book. So who gets the rights? Is it considered merchandise? If so, it would fall under SE due to their contract. But then, anything original is owned by Disney, so in reality they could publish it just fine...but then no FF stuff in it, which is what people would want to see as well. Also nobody wants to step on Nomura's toes. Imagine if he found out. So then it HAS to be SE, but then Disney is protective of their properties...

It cycles into madness.

A variable mess.

At least, this is what I imagine would happen.

Zackarix

Awards
And now imagine you have to have Disney approve stuff and Nomura has to approve stuff. They have agree on what should be revealed and what shouldn't. What Disney concepts can go in, how much profits are split...who publishes it???

It's not like the Ultimanias which are big game guides with art and interviews inside. This would be JUST an art book. So who gets the rights? Is it considered merchandise? If so, it would fall under SE due to their contract. But then, anything original is owned by Disney, so in reality they could publish it just fine...but then no FF stuff in it, which is what people would want to see as well. Also nobody wants to step on Nomura's toes. Imagine if he found out. So then it HAS to be SE, but then Disney is protective of their properties...
That makes sense. Simply having multiple barriers such as these can make a product less likely to be made even when everyone is on the same page. Those barriers might not be insurmountable (given that some artbooks do exist) but often companies will decide that their time and effort is better invested in other areas.

Still, they would make a Nomura artbook using properties they 100% own. They could probably even sneak in the KH designs of FF characters. If they want him to design the characters in half their games clearly they consider him a big name artist.

Also, if they ever do release another KH art book it should be called "Kingdom Arts"

Ulmer White

Awards
The visual art books were...blah. Mostly art you could find in the Ultimanias, but without the bloat of an Ultimania.

The BBS art book was just one of those bonus books you got for preorder if I remember correctly. It was filled with art easily found from the Ultimania.

SE prints art books for plenty of their other games. Bravely Default, for example, has multiple art books filled to the brim with concept art.

The issue is probably a weird mix of multiple things.

1) SE or Nomura not having an interest/realizing there is an interest from fans
2) Licensing issues with Disney causing difficulties with producing a book of this nature for KH

Disney has always been in the business of making art books, especially ones with detailed explanations behind concepts or about the world of the property the art book is for. SE is also in the business of making art books, filled with similar descriptions or with interviews. But both are also notoriously secretive...

Disney has an archive filled with stuff that has never seen the light of day. SE just fucks up and loses files lololol

It cycles into madness.

A variable mess.

At least, this is what I imagine would happen.

I have been reading more and more fiction lately. If I need to choose a book worth reading, I most often go to the site https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/books/ where I find useful information about a particular book in the form of a short essay. It helps me understand which book to choose and why it will be interesting to me.
I agree with you. I think SE or Nomura just don't understand that fans are showing interest.

Last edited:

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I stay awake at night just simply thinking about the of unseen concept art regarding the development of Kingdom Hearts 1.

Just give me Kingdom Hearts 1 concept art, and I can die in peace. To see the genesis of it all, the conception of this madness.

Last edited:

PrettyGuard

Awards
To be fair, I think practicality is pretty low on Nomura's priority list, no matter the gender. I mean, this is the guy who decided to wrap Cloud's sword in bandages, because he thought it looked cool.

Back