• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why is there such a low completion rate on the HD collection?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
With the coming of the Playstation 4 and the Playstation app for your smartphone, we are able to see the true completion rates of all Playstation games with trophies enabled.

I had a look through the stats for the games in the Kingdom Hearts collection, and was a little surprised to see that for all the people that bought the collection, the amount that then played the games wasn't too high.

For KH:Final Mix, around 70% of people have cleared Wonderland decreasing to 33% of people having cleared Hollow Bastion and about 25% have cleared the game completely.

Far worse was the completion for Re:Chain of Memories. 50% of people who played Re:CoM haven't even completed the first level (Traverse Town as Sora), and only 15% have cleared the game as Sora. Less than 10% of people have beaten the game as Riku, meaning 1/3rd of those that beat CoM as Sora didn't go on to finish it again as Riku.

And finally, about 20% of people that selected 358/2 Days at the main menu have watched all the cutscenes, and 15% have flicked through all the diary entries. I can understand that this is a bit lower given the non-interactive nature of the 'game'.

Now I understand that this is a HD re-release, and that many people won't prioritize beating a game that they may have already played years ago, but do you think that the developers take note of these stats? These games were meant to catch people up on the story in time for KH3, but if hardly anyone beat the game then has that goal even been met? Will KH3 have to feature some back-tracking to get people up to speed on the story, even with the release of the two HD collections? As someone who has played every game in the series at least once, I personally don't find the story that hard to follow, but I can't imagine jumping into KH3 without the prior knowledge of the previous games.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the completion rate of the game, and any implications this may hold for future titles.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
Re: [Discussion] Why is there such a low completion rate on the HD collection?

Most people that do that or newcomers or casuals. All the fan obviously beat it so no worries.

That and the story is so easy to catch up with online. So people don't feel they should continue the game.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards

With the coming of the Playstation 4 and the Playstation app for your smartphone, we are able to see the true completion rates of all Playstation games with trophies enabled.

I had a look through the stats for the games in the Kingdom Hearts collection, and was a little surprised to see that for all the people that bought the collection, the amount that then played the games wasn't too high.

For KH:Final Mix, around 70% of people have cleared Wonderland decreasing to 33% of people having cleared Hollow Bastion and about 25% have cleared the game completely.

Far worse was the completion for Re:Chain of Memories. 50% of people who played Re:CoM haven't even completed the first level (Traverse Town as Sora), and only 15% have cleared the game as Sora. Less than 10% of people have beaten the game as Riku, meaning 1/3rd of those that beat CoM as Sora didn't go on to finish it again as Riku.

And finally, about 20% of people that selected 358/2 Days at the main menu have watched all the cutscenes, and 15% have flicked through all the diary entries. I can understand that this is a bit lower given the non-interactive nature of the 'game'.

Now I understand that this is a HD re-release, and that many people won't prioritize beating a game that they may have already played years ago, but do you think that the developers take note of these stats? These games were meant to catch people up on the story in time for KH3, but if hardly anyone beat the game then has that goal even been met? Will KH3 have to feature some back-tracking to get people up to speed on the story, even with the release of the two HD collections? As someone who has played every game in the series at least once, I personally don't find the story that hard to follow, but I can't imagine jumping into KH3 without the prior knowledge of the previous games.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the completion rate of the game, and any implications this may hold for future titles.

Developers do take note and the issue has been discussed thoroughly by many of them. It's very strange IMO but I mostly attribute it to over-saturation of the market and not telling of the quality of a game.

Check this quote from Cage

Why is this timing important? Because, according to Cage, 75 percent of Heavy Rain players have completed the game since it's 2010 release while, on average, only about 20 percent of gamers complete games in their entirety. Cage states that his studios reliance on narrative-driven experiences is largely responsible for the increased rate of completion.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards

I can't say much for KHFM, but probably the very low completion rate for Re:CoM is tied to the fact that it's not your usual hack-and-slash game. With card mechanics (which takes some time getting used to) thrown into the picture, I can understand how it might be such a turn-off especially for players completely new to the series.

Another crazy stuff is the fact that the difficulty trophies aren't stackable (i.e. beating the game on Proud doesn't automatically unlock trophies for Standard and Beginner completion). This essentially necessitates one to go through three playthroughs for KHFM, and a whopping six for Re:CoM, three for each character. Even the most hardcore of fans must have had second thoughts obtaining all these difficulty-related trophies.

When someone mentions about low completion rate of 1.5, that's basically what immediately comes into my mind. I do think, though, that how it is for 2.5 wouldn't be as "bad" as it was for 1.5 since if I recall correctly, KH2FM was one of the most wanted games back in the days and many people seem to be interested in trying their hands on BbS(FM), one of the many KH titles that weren't released for a home console.

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

I would also say that this is typical for many casual gamers who picked up Kingdom Hearts the first time. I'd say in middle school, 90% of my friends had access to a PS2 and gave the game a go but maybe 70% of those friends never went past Wonderland.

Antar

Awards

The percentages might seems small, but for how many people buy the games, they aren't really. A lot of people just don't pass every game they get, including me. I did pass this one, though, and I'll be definitely passing 2.5.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

The truth of the matter is, I still haven't even beaten 1 run through KH1 and I blame it on the fact that I'm scared to have to beat KH1 3 times and Re:CoM 6 times for that platinum. I really want to have it beaten by December 1, 2014 now (for obvious reasons), but it's very daunting that the trophies don't stack, I really hope it's fixed for KH2.5.

A lot of casual fans who got it also didn't beat it because given there are 3 playable games (KH1, CoM, R/RCoM) and 1 movie (Days), it's very daunting as well to just do 1 run through of all of them for the casual fans, a lot of my friends just said they didn't feel like doing it all.

axel95

Awards

For me personally, I have beaten KH1FM on proud, and am slowly working my way to %100 completion (only the gummi ship missions left!), and I have started a beginner play through of Re:Com, but my sister (casual fan) doesn't know that story, so I play it with her. On top of all of this, college and other games that I play are taking up a ton of time. I'll get the platinums eventually.

I hope that SE looks at the completion rate and makes the trophies for 2.5 stackable. I don't know if I can handle playing BBS 9 times.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards

Stackable trophies should just be common sense by now. If I could enforce only two things about achievements, it's stackable achievements and redundant reporting: a button you can hit for when the achievement doesn't report properly.

It's so self-evident that no one has said it, but worth noting: the completion rate for CoM will be just a little lower because it's the second game! You can bet some people aren't going to play it until they beat KH1, and KH1's completion rate is 25%! Doesn't apply to everyone, but I'd say still true. If I listed all the games I mean to play but never get around to...

Saken

鍵が導く心のまま
Awards

Some people don't have time.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards

I am guilty of this. I'm actually still in Traverse Town in my KH1FM playthrough. I just have this insane backlog and sometimes it's a daunting task just deciding which game I'm going to play. I've recently decided to start playing them in alphabetical order with some exceptions. So It's one of those, "I'll get to it when I get to it" things.

I'm sure the completion rate will rise as we get closer to the release of KH3 since so many people will probably want to refresh their memory by playing both 1.5 and 2.5.

Disclosure

When I got 1.5, I enjoyed playing through KH1 FM and completed that on your standard mode because I just wanted to refresh myself on the story. ReCOM on the other hand I am still in Traverse Town because I just do not have the motivation to complete it. I don't consider myself a casual fan of the series because I just don't, but ReCOM just doesn't appeal to me as much as I thought it would.

As for Days, I watched them all because I really enjoyed that game and I'm a massive Roxas fan.

Gram

Banned
Awards

ReCOM on the other hand I am still in Traverse Town because I just do not have the motivation to complete it.

I too have trouble finding motivation to play it these days, not because I dislike it but cause I find room after room of heartless incredibly tedious.
Thankfully with it's theater mode I dont have to beat it again~ (need a refresher start theater mode and enjoy~)

KH1 on the other hand I never grow tired of.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

On the plus side, I think most people now have a set date for when to get Platinum by...December 1, lol.

Honestly, in order to make it less tedious. I'm doing my 100% playthrough on Proud, then rushing through the game on Beginner (to get the ones like "No Continues" and "No Equipment changes") and then my 3rd playthrough I'm saving for before KH3, when I plan on running through the whole series in order. Something to break up the tedium.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

The non-stackable difficulty trophies are one thing, but for people with rather few free time (and not all of that time can be devoted to KH as well) trophies like getting the complete Card-Collection in CoM or the Gummi Ship-Mission trophies in KH 1 FM can be outright tedious.

For KH 1 FM I have by now all trophies except the Proud Playthrough, so Platinum is in reach once I get finally some room to finally play again, yet in CoM I feel somehow a tad exhausted especially because some of those regular Enemy-Cards are frustratingly hard to come by.

Disclosure

I too have trouble finding motivation to play it these days, not because I dislike it but cause I find room after room of heartless incredibly tedious.
Thankfully with it's theater mode I dont have to beat it again~ (need a refresher start theater mode and enjoy~)

I must agree. I don't dislike the game whatsoever, but there is a tedious side of things that wasn't there in the GBA version and I'm not too sure why I get that feeling, but it's definitely present.

SORA619

Awards

Pretty sure is the matter of the non stackable difficulty trophies. It took me ages to complete all playthroughts to both games and I got bored after some time. Hope they will fix it on 2.5 especially for BbS...

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

I know for me, it's mainly the fact that I have already beat the original releases of all of these games. I was very pumped for the HD collection, and I still plan on completing it eventually, but since I've seen it all before and I don't have all the time in the world, I just choose to play some games I've never got the chance to play instead. Makes sense to me.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

This thread inspired me.

10257513_10203655223323222_7187988372875364992_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back