• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why is the Demon Tide in the Keyblade Graveyard crazy huge?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Eonstar890

Awards
When the GoL are getting their asses handed to them by Terra-Xehanort the demon tide that follows is astronomically larger than any other seen before and no real reason for this happening is actually presented??? Like even in the reality rewrite the monstrosity still forms.. but why?? As far as the RoL goes it shouldn’t be facing such a threat from darkness, especially after everything Sora did in previous titles, and as strong as MX is, I don’t believe he summoned that thing either. Where’d it come from? And also what’s the prevailing theory as to how Ephemer was able to contact Sora in that moment anyhow?? This whole entire scene is presented so randomly and with no explanation I’m wondering if I just really missed something big, or if it’s another flaw of the many our poor KH3 was struck with...

Nyx Winters

The Dawn Fox
Awards
My theory is that the keyblade graveyard is a special world due to the amount of death and carnage between light and dark forces make it more easily accessible to pure forms of both (light being ephemers and the other keybladers of light sensing the precense of 7 lights in dire need) while the dark is the demon tower drawing on the power of the fallen darkness and the 13 darknesses to open more portals then usual and allowing more darkness through which would feed on itself becoming stronger and stronger. Dont know if its true just a theory. Might be more info in the ultimicia or whatever it is called.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I think Master Xehanort did indeed summon the giant demon tornado. He did summon a bunch of heartless during when the GoL first arrived and Dark Riku performed a similar action as well.

If anything Xehanort used the tornado to finish the job Terranort started

Awards
I think Master Xehanort did indeed summon the giant demon tornado. He did summon a bunch of heartless during when the GoL first arrived and Dark Riku performed a similar action as well.

If anything Xehanort used the tornado to finish the job Terranort started
Judging by what Terranort said, it's likely that the Demon Tornado Swarm was meant to rip the hearts from the GoL's bodies after he beats them to a pulp. Weaken them, then finish them off with an unstoppable force before they even have a chance to fight back

Twilight Lumiair

Awards

If anything Xehanort used the tornado to finish the job Terranort started.

Judging by what Terranort said, it's likely that the Demon Tornado Swarm was meant to rip the hearts from the GoL's bodies after he beats them to a pulp. Weaken them, then finish them off with an unstoppable force before they even have a chance to fight back
This is pretty much what I got from it too. That said, like any theory pertaining to this scene, it's not a particularly sound explanation, and creates a rather large list of questions (this whole thing IS just a sequence of random contrivances after all).

Some examples being:

Why rip the protags' hearts from their bodies instead of just fighting them head on, like they eventually have to do anyway? What purpose is there in avoiding direct confrontation with GoL?

If they're worried about the GoL's "light shining too brightly" (which is what Xemnas actually said), then one has to ask... WHY? Weren't they going after the seven hearts of pure light (or "New Princesses of Heart") as a back up plan anyway? Surely they're hearts, by definition, have a much stronger light than any of the protagonist, with the exception of Kairi, right? So why is it a problem when Sora and Co. arrive with exceptionally strong lights? Isn't that the whole point?

If not that, and they're simply worried about the GoL being too strong physically, then why send Terranort out by himself? Why not just ambush them all at once? Or immediately send out the tornado and catch them off-guard entirely? Not that any of that matters, of course, since half of them weren't even attempting to resist Terranort's assault in the first place, nor were any of them (with the exception of Riku) trying to put up a fight against the tornado when it appeared.

Why does it even matter how strong they are to begin with when simply clashing will start the process of forming the X-blade
regardless of who's victorious in each individual battle? It literally makes no difference what happens to the Seekers or Guardians just so long as they fight, as per the conditions presented in the game, so what benefit is there in "weakening" them?

And also what’s the prevailing theory as to how Ephemer was able to contact Sora in that moment anyhow??
The "lights from the past," were pretty much just a deus ex machina in every sense of the term. Not only do they literally come out of nowhere, counter to what we understand, but the GoL themselves don't actually do anything to prompt they're arrival in the first place. Unlike Lingering Will, for example, there's no real reason they shouldn't have appeared in the same manner the first time the tornado formed like they did the second time around. It just sorta... Happens. Randomly. Without any build up, foreshadowing, pay off, explanation, etc.

Eonstar890

Awards
This is pretty much what I got from it too. That said, like any theory pertaining to this scene, it's not a particularly sound explanation, and creates a rather large list of questions

Yeah I suppose the main reason I didn’t believe it to be Xehanort was because if he had such a tide changing power I’m surprised he wouldn’t have tried using it again after his 13 were defeated but then again at that point he was busy focusing on his prize. To me it just definitely feels like the scene where Sora and co arrive at the crossroads area is where KG should have started and every thing before that was thrown in with no clear antagonist motives like you said. But I’m guessing those moments will be important in whatever comes next with all that talk of a “high price to pay” ...

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah I suppose the main reason I didn’t believe it to be Xehanort was because if he had such a tide changing power I’m surprised he wouldn’t have tried using it again after his 13 were defeated but then again at that point he was busy focusing on his prize. To me it just definitely feels like the scene where Sora and co arrive at the crossroads area is where KG should have started and every thing before that was thrown in with no clear antagonist motives like you said. But I’m guessing those moments will be important in whatever comes next with all that talk of a “high price to pay” ...

Yeah it just seemed like they were trying to drag out the conflict. I would have liked it more if the fights prior to the labyrinth had been used to build up the relationships between all the Guardians and establish the power they were capable of through their teamwork. Let them be heroic and optimistic that they stand a chance against the threat. Then break them up in the labyrinth and start all the heavier drama from there.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
That's actually a really good way of putting it! Everything before the crossroads just felt like more padding and them trying to throw in cool moments, when really, the conflict and dramatic weight should've lied with the Seekers & Guardians themselves. In fact, that might've even helped with the pacing surrounding certain character's returns and their reunions, because it gives Nomura more time to properly flesh them out (ex. by including additional diologue, fights, team-ups, etc.), and allows everyone a chance to get their proper moment of shine.

@Zip put it pretty nicely too. To add to that a bit, I feel if they're going to walk into battle optimistically, it'd be nice if the reason was due to some pre-planned strategies they created beforehand. So for example, how would they split up upon arrival? Who's best equipped to take on who? What's their game plan if a large, unexpected threat appears?What strategy will they use to circumvent the summoning of the X-blade/Kingdom Hearts? And if you still want to showcase Xehanort's intellect one more time, you could have him plan around a lot of these strategies when they finally get there.

Things like that could've also go a long way in making sure the protagonist seem more competent and mature from their past conflicts (adding further onto how this is the final battle of the Saga).

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This is pretty much what I got from it too. That said, like any theory pertaining to this scene, it's not a particularly sound explanation, and creates a rather large list of questions (this whole thing IS just a sequence of random contrivances after all).

Some examples being:

Why rip the protags' hearts from their bodies instead of just fighting them head on, like they eventually have to do anyway? What purpose is there in avoiding direct confrontation with GoL?

If they're worried about the GoL's "light shining too brightly" (which is what Xemnas actually said), then one has to ask... WHY? Weren't they going after the seven hearts of pure light (or "New Princesses of Heart") as a back up plan anyway? Surely they're hearts, by definition, have a much stronger light than any of the protagonist, with the exception of Kairi, right? So why is it a problem when Sora and Co. arrive with exceptionally strong lights? Isn't that the whole point?

If not that, and they're simply worried about the GoL being too strong physically, then why send Terranort out by himself? Why not just ambush them all at once? Or immediately send out the tornado and catch them off-guard entirely? Not that any of that matters, of course, since half of them weren't even attempting to resist Terranort's assault in the first place, nor were any of them (with the exception of Riku) trying to put up a fight against the tornado when it appeared.

Why does it even matter how strong they are to begin with when simply clashing will start the process of forming the X-blade
regardless of who's victorious in each individual battle? It literally makes no difference what happens to the Seekers or Guardians just so long as they fight, as per the conditions presented in the game, so what benefit is there in "weakening" them?

The "lights from the past," were pretty much just a deus ex machina in every sense of the term. Not only do they literally come out of nowhere, counter to what we understand, but the GoL themselves don't actually do anything to prompt they're arrival in the first place. Unlike Lingering Will, for example, there's no real reason they shouldn't have appeared in the same manner the first time the tornado formed like they did the second time around. It just sorta... Happens. Randomly. Without any build up, foreshadowing, pay off, explanation, etc.

Wow! I already didn't like the Terranort scene much, but now after reading this I find it even worse. I always assumed the reason they wanted to get rid of the GOL at the start of the Graveyard was because they choose to be lazy and get the princesses instead, because that was a option. And had they confirmed that plan I'd give the villains some credit for making the GOL waste their time only to kill them and get their X-Blade anyway. But the way it's done doesn't imply that. And I just hate that Terranort scene due to how three Keyblade Masters stand around and let him knock out two of their party members and almost knock out two others. Riku, Aqua, and Mickey all sucked at the Keyblade Graveyard thanks to that scene. Some masters they are.

Last edited:

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Wow! I already didn't like the Terranort scene much, but now after reading this I find it even worse. I always assumed the reason they wanted to get rid of the GOL at the start of the Graveyard was because they choose to be lazy and get the princesses instead, because that was an option. And had they confirmed that plan I'd give the villains some credit for making the GOL waste their time only to kill them and get their X-Blade anyway. But the way it's done doesn't imply that. And I just hate that Terranort scene due to how three Keyblade Masters stand around and let him knock out two of their party members and almost knock out two others. Riku, Aqua, and Mickey all sucked at the Keyblade Graveyard thanks to that scene. Some masters they are.
Yeah.. the rationale given for all of the Seekers' actions prior to the crossroads really doesn't hold up well to scrutiny. That said, even though what we got was flimsy at best, I think it's still better than the protags' showing up at the Badlands only for Xehanort to immediately go: "Naw, screw this. We're just going to kill all of you with this giant vortex and go after the Princesses instead. lol" That probably would've been the BIGGEST middle finger to the audience in the whole game XD Though I suppose on the bright side it would've given the NPoH some legitimate relevancy for once.

Not that this makes the three of their performances any better, but Riku, Mickey, and Aqua were all getting their asses kicked (or just generally being useless) in KH3 waaay before the Keyblade Graveyard. Them doing nothing to stop Terranort is just yet another example of their mistreatment in this title. If they acted within character, any one of them would've stepped in immediately and haulted Terranort's momentum (in a similar manner to what Lingering Will did).

Eonstar890

Awards
Yeah.. the rationale given for all of the Seekers' actions prior to the crossroads really doesn't hold up well to scrutiny. That said, even though what we got was flimsy at best, I think it's still better than the protags' showing up at the Badlands only for Xehanort to immediately go: "Naw, screw this. We're just going to kill all of you with this giant vortex and go after the Princesses instead. lol" That probably would've been the BIGGEST middle finger to the audience in the whole game XD Though I suppose on the bright side it would've given the NPoH some legitimate relevancy for once.

Not that this makes the three of their performances any better, but Riku, Mickey, and Aqua were all getting their asses kicked (or just generally being useless) in KH3 waaay before the Keyblade Graveyard. Them doing nothing to stop Terranort is just yet another example of their mistreatment in this title. If they acted within character, any one of them would've stepped in immediately and haulted Terranort's momentum (in a similar manner to what Lingering Will did).

Honestly at this point feel like Normura can only write a character as being powerful if they are playable and in any other case they are a useless stick. In BBS, the way finder trio accomplished amazing feats and in this, the best thing accomplished by any of them is stalling. Same goes for Riku who is (I'm pretty sure) canonically stronger than Sora, but no his one strong moment here is holding back the aforementioned demon tide for a few seconds. Makes me feel like so many of the issues presented could have been fixed with a playable Aqua or Riku storyline which would allow literally any other character besides Sora to shine. Not that I don't love the boy, but I love the others too.

Last edited:

Any

Awards
Wow!

Wow! I already didn't like the Terranort scene much, but now after reading this I find it even worse. I always assumed the reason they wanted to get rid of the GOL at the start of the Graveyard was because they choose to be lazy and get the princesses instead, because that was a option. And had they confirmed that plan I'd give the villains some credit for making the GOL waste their time only to kill them and get their X-Blade anyway. But the way it's done doesn't imply that. And I just hate that Terranort scene due to how three Keyblade Masters stand around and let him knock out two of their party members and almost knock out two others. Riku, Aqua, and Mickey all sucked at the Keyblade Graveyard thanks to that scene. Some masters they are.

I thought the same. I thought Xehanort would chase after the princesses after killing the GoL’s but there would be a problem. The problem is: Kairi. She’s one of the new princesses and if she was killed off then....what would have happened to the Xehanort’s plan if he was going after the princesses and the guardians were dead.

Awards
And I just hate that Terranort scene due to how three Keyblade Masters stand around and let him knock out two of their party members and almost knock out two others. Riku, Aqua, and Mickey all sucked at the Keyblade Graveyard thanks to that scene. Some masters they are.
I'd say blame the cutscene director for that one.

The infamous scene was very likely meant to showcase the incredible speed Xehanort is known for, with multiple things happening almost simultaneously.

However, due to bad use of slow motion effects, only taking out Ven and Axel, and such, it looks as though Terranort is taking forever to hit people and everyone's just standing around letting it happen.

Basically, the proper version of the scene would have been Terranort going all Vergil and destroying everybody within a matter of seconds with them just barely managing to stop him.

Donald and Goofy shouldn't have been the only ones doing anything though. Like how the hell can Goofy and his dinner plate of a shield stay standing after blocking Terranort's strike while Axel basically ends up with a broken back and ribs, and Donald just pulls Zettaflare out of nowhere when Aqua is more likely to know a spell like that?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
MX: So anyway, after you all fight the GoL to the bitter end-

Other SoDs: Screw that, we ain't dying for your cause.......again!

MX: Well we could just go get the Princesses. We did learn who all the new ones were, right?

Other SoD: ....................

MX: Ugh, fine. I'll just have 1 of the other mes & a bunch of Shadow heartless go get their hearts then it that makes you ingrates feel better.

Other SoD: But aren't they really good at fighting heartless at this point?

MX: Look, it'll be a *bleep*ton of Shadows. A Shadnado! It'll be so big SyFy will make a movie about it!

Terranort: Bad news guys, they killed the Shadnado with the power of whales.

MX: Well at least we tried. Now get back to dying the rest of ya.

Other SoD: *Bleep*

SweetYetSalty

Awards

The infamous scene was very likely meant to showcase the incredible speed Xehanort is known for, with multiple things happening almost simultaneously.

However, due to bad use of slow motion effects, only taking out Ven and Axel, and such, it looks as though Terranort is taking forever to hit people and everyone's just standing around letting it happen.

Basically, the proper version of the scene would have been Terranort going all Vergil and destroying everybody within a matter of seconds with them just barely managing to stop him.

Donald and Goofy shouldn't have been the only ones doing anything though. Like how the hell can Goofy and his dinner plate of a shield stay standing after blocking Terranort's strike while Axel basically ends up with a broken back and ribs, and Donald just pulls Zettaflare out of nowhere when Aqua is more likely to know a spell like that?

The one good thing that came out of that scene was Donald and Goofy showing why they are awesome party members. Donald put those Keyblade Master's to shame, including his good for nothing king. Goofy blocking Terranort was a great moment, showing he can guard against even one of the top attackers in the series. As for why Goofy can stand and why Axel can't. That's likely because Axel is Lea now. He's not a Nobody, he's a regular frail human and even as Axel he wasn't physically the strongest of the Organization. Axel mostly relied on speed, surprise attacks and wit to battle. I can believe Goofy can block a attack that Axel/Lea can't.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

How is Aqua more likely to know Zettaflare over Donald when he has been presumably been practicing magic since before she was born?

Twilight Lumiair

Awards

See.. even this explanation is hard for to swallow because at several points during this sequence, we see characters move, talk, and react in real time. Riku and Mickey visibly choose to reach out but not do anything, while Donald and Goofy go into action.

Another thing is how, in gameplay, Terranort actually isn't that fast at all. His running speed, combat speed, dashes, etc., are all comparable to Terra's through and through. This is consistent in both his BBS and KH3 boss fight mechanics. And it's also rather telling that he suddenly goes from knocking Ventus (who's supposed to be incredibly fast) unconscious instantly and flicking Sora aside like he's nothing, to later being outmatched by Sora, Aqua, and Ventus despite having Vanitas by his side.

The only demonstrated ability he has that might potentially give him the edge over Terra's base speed is his teleportation, but it's not like other characters there, namely Aqua, couldn't teleport as well, or haven't already dealt with such maneuvers in the past. Moreover, when Anti-Aqua charged at Riku so fast he barely summoned his Keyblade, Sora appeared to block the blow... instantly. Why didn't he do that stop Terranort from attacking Ven, Lea, and especially Kairi (where Sora, despite having more than enough time, opted to be a meat shield rather than block with his Keyblade)? Or why didn't Kairi even attempt to defend herself despite Terranort charging at her twice (after already being successfully interrupted once by Lea) in a very heavily telegraphed manner? Even with her inexperience, it's illogical for her to not at least summon her Keyblade.

All of this, to me, points to the issues surrounding this scene having just as much to do with poor writing as it does with it's execution.

MX: So anyway, after you all fight the GoL to the bitter end-

Other SoDs: Screw that, we ain't dying for your cause.......again!

MX: Well we could just go get the Princesses. We did learn who all the new ones were, right?

Other SoD: ....................

MX: Ugh, fine. I'll just have 1 of the other mes & a bunch of Shadow heartless go get their hearts then it that makes you ingrates feel better.

Other SoD: But aren't they really good at fighting heartless at this point?

MX: Look, it'll be a *bleep*ton of Shadows. A Shadnado! It'll be so big SyFy will make a movie about it!

Terranort: Bad news guys, they killed the Shadnado with the power of whales.

MX: Well at least we tried. Now get back to dying the rest of ya.

Other SoD: *Bleep*
This isn't even far off from how it felt in my head. It's not like Xehanort cares one bit what happens to his vessels just so long as they fight, so whatever resistance there was with fighting the GoL must have come from the other Seekers, right? But then one has to wonder why Xehanort would go so far out of his way to oblige in the first place. Especially when he should know there are several traitors or potential traitors in his group.

I can believe Goofy can block a attack that Axel/Lea can't.
That's quite an interesting take. I'm actually curious, were you basing this off visible/stated feats, or is it closer to speculation? I'm not sure I recall a distinguishment being made between the durability of a human and a humanoid Nobody. Like, why exactly would there be a difference when Nobodies are canonically just those same bodies left behind?

In regards to Lea/Axel's ability to block powerful attacks, he seemed to block Marluxia's blast with relatively little difficulty. And while that's already pretty impressive, I'm not sure if we can say where his upward threshold would be. Same with Goofy, at least as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
That's quite an interesting take. I'm actually curious, were you basing this off visible/stated feats, or is it closer to speculation? I'm not sure I recall a distinguishment being made between the durability of a human and a humanoid Nobody. Like, why exactly would there be a difference when Nobodies are canonically just those same bodies left behind?

In regards to Lea/Axel's ability to block powerful attacks, he seemed to block Marluxia's blast with relatively little difficulty. And while that's already pretty impressive, I'm not sure if we can say where his upward threshold would be. Same with Goofy, at least as far as I can tell.

More on the speculation half, but I can explain why I feel this way. Nobodies might be the bodies that get left behind but they clearly have some superhuman bonuses to them. Like using portals of darkness for one. In the cases of numbers 3-6 we see some changes to. Dilan and Aeleus were already tough looking as human guards but they clearly are even more powerful as Nobodies. Xaldin could fly and control lances through wind and Lexeaus could go super saiyan with his insane strength. I doubt either can still do that now as regular humans. Ienzo and Even truthfully weren't the most powerful as Zexion and Vexen but they did have some powers. And Ienzo claims he can't use those powers anymore so I must believe he is now weaker. I know with the other members they are linking them to ancient Keyblade users now so they have a excuse to be strong as humans or Nobodies. The only exception would be Xemnas and more then likely Xigbar, where they are stronger in their regular forms then as Nobodies, but even their Nobodies are superhuman and in the case of Xemnas very much so.

In regards to the strength of Lea/Axel, I'm just going by what I've seen of him, and while I don't think he's weak I don't think he's a physical powerhouse either. Being able to block Marluxia's blast and being able to block a physical strike from Terranort are two different things. Axel isn't built as a tank. Several of his attacks are from a distance and he times when he wants to jump in for a physical one. This is probably why he was such a lousy Keyblade fighter. He was out of his element fighting up close for a majority of his battles at the graveyard. He could barely clash with Saix, and while he could toss Xion, being bigger, he wasn't doing any damage to her as she flips to her feet like twice. Axel is a speedy and cunning fighter, not a physically dominate one. And while Axel and Lea are the same person they fight differently.

As far Goofy, well he's got a big shield and is the captain of Mickey's knights. I expected that to come in handy at some point, lol. But Goofy's whole thing is guarding and blocking with his shield and he's clearly been doing for years. I admit I don't have much to backup Goofy blocking Terranort, I just love that scene so much and will always defend it...the way Goofy defended his friends XD

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
More on the speculation half, but I can explain why I feel this way. Nobodies might be the bodies that get left behind but they clearly have some superhuman bonuses to them. Like using portals of darkness for one. In the cases of numbers 3-6 we see some changes to. Dilan and Aeleus were already tough looking as human guards but they clearly are even more powerful as Nobodies. Xaldin could fly and control lances through wind and Lexeaus could go super saiyan with his insane strength. I doubt either can still do that now as regular humans. Ienzo and Even truthfully weren't the most powerful as Zexion and Vexen but they did have some powers. And Ienzo claims he can't use those powers anymore so I must believe he is now weaker. I know with the other members they are linking them to ancient Keyblade users now so they have a excuse to be strong as humans or Nobodies. The only exception would be Xemnas and more then likely Xigbar, where they are stronger in their regular forms then as Nobodies, but even their Nobodies are superhuman and in the case of Xemnas very much so.
Xemnas seems to be empowering them. He can turn a human-looking nobody into a dusk & he apparently gave Luxord back some of his power mid-fight. So he seems to have direct control over the power levels of nobodies.

Back