• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why I think Dream Drop Distance was bad for Kingdom Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
A lot of people have grown to dislike the Kingdom Hearts series. Be it because of its constant portable releases or its convoluted storyline, the lovable Disney and Final Fantasy cross-over just isn't as popular as it was years ago. Being a fan from the beginning, I often defend the series. However the most resent release in the in the franchise left me crushingly disappointed. In fact its the first game of the franchise that I put down at the end and thought, 'that was so dumb.' These are all the reasons why I think Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance was bad for the series.

1) Nonsense Story

The story in dream drop distance is just bad. The number one thing that stands out in my mind how Master Xehanort and co. got into Sora and Riku's dreams. Time traveling to enter someone's dreams is the most ludicrous thing I've heard in ages (not to mention the fact that time travel is just out of place in the Kingdom Hearts universe). Would have it been so wrong to say Xehanort just used dark magic to enter the dreams instead? Am I also to believe that Master Xehanort had everything planned from the beginning even though Sora was an 'unknown factor.' I really liked the idea of Master Xehanort before when he was just a villain driven out of curiosity but now he's practically an all knowing god. If I were Sora, at this point I would just give up. Xehanort knows pretty much everything ever (exaggeration, I know that anything that happens after 3D is pretty much fair game but still), how are we going to defeat him.
Dream Drop Distance also seems to change up already established ideas. For instance, wasn't the idea in BBS that the Keyblade is past down from master to apprentice, so why can Lea just all of a sudden have the ability to wield a Keyblade? What else annoys me is the who idea behind forgin the X-blade. Once again, in BBS we were told that the X-Blade could be made when a heart of pure light and one of true darkness clashed. However, right off the bat in 3D we are told that we need seven lights and thirteen darkness. This all just felt like an incredibly convenient way to make another Organization XIII for Kingdom Hearts 3. I'm I the only one that feels like this is just fan survive at this point? Fighting the members of Organization XIII was one of the more interesting parts of Kingdom Hearts 2 but reusing this same idea for Kingdom Hearts 3 just feels weak, like as if Nomura was just plain out of ideas. This also makes Master Xehanort just look like a plain idiot for even trying to make the X-blade out of one heart of light and one of darkness in BBS. True, one could say that Xehanort was just trying to rush the plan like he said in 3D but considering how pivotal the idea was in BBS I believe that Nomura just changed the idea so there could be a new organization XIII.
Not everything was bad though. Learning the truth about the Nobodys was my favorite part of the game and I'm glad I got to see so many familiar faces (even though Vanitus's inclusion was a total letdown).

2) Flowmotion, best new idea totally hindered by poor execution

Flowmotion was single most anticipated part of 3D gameplay wise for me. The idea just sounded so great. Jumping from wall to wall would surely be a blast and for the most part it was. Disappointingly though, it fell short of expactations. My biggest problem with the mechanic was its inclusion in combat. Making Flowmotion attacks as powerful as command finishes in BBS was a horrible idea. For me it totally ruined the balance of the game since flowmotion (especially with flowmotion turbo turned up) was just so powerful and spamable. Square Enix seemed to think they had the solution for this problem; make certain areas bigger so flowmotion attacks cant be spammed. While this did fix the issue to a degree in created a whole new problem. These bigger areas made flowmotion for movement impossible or just not fun because you couldn't hit a wall, rail, or pole in time. Its truly a shame as well for when flowmotion shined it shined like none other. It also helped make the area's specially made for flowmotion (like the extra districts in Travers Town) look so much more detailed. Considering one of the series consistent flaws is open and dead looking envirorments this was a very good thing. I just hope that for Kingdom Hearts 3 the idea is much better executed. Personally I would opt for flowmotion attacks to be completely removed but I could see Square Enix due it if it was like, for example, breaking gaurds and not doing damgae.
(Was anyone else annoyed by all the unnecessary rails in the Grid?)

3) Dream Links showed lack of polish

Originally I thought Riku's dream links were going to be so much more fun to use than Sora's. BBS has my favorite combat system so to see something Command Style esc make it into 3D had my excitement peaked. Unfortunately the lack of polish in Riku's links made Dream Links feel incredibly tacked on. Riku's Dream links sure enough looked cool but unlike BBS the attacks were slow, did barley any more damage than normal attacks, and more than often missed their target meaning you would have to start the combo over again. Sora on the other hand didn't have this issue. While some of his dream links got old (ex: riding selected Dream Eater) they were almost all useful. Most did lots of damage and were easy enough to connect with enemies. Best of all, Sora is invincible during his Dream Links giving a slight relief from the games new found difficulty. Speaking of difficulty...

4) Hard to unfair difficulty

I know lots of people will just tell me 'difficulty is not a bad thing, your just not good at this game' but Dream Drop Distance has to be the hardiest KH game I've ever played (yes, I've played them all, even the GBA version of Chain of Memories). This time around I went for proud mode first, having grown used to Kingdom Hearts difficulty over the years. Big mistake. Dream Eaters are the most ruthless, if not adorable, enemies in the entire series. Personally the worst part for me was the new status effects. Being an action rpg your given full control over Sora or Riku, so there's nothing worse than having that control being taken away from you in combat. Getting frozen or stunned and having to watch myself die to attacks I could see coming was the most frustrating feeling I've felt in Kingdom Hearts (well, besides unskippable cutscenes in KH1). In games like Devil May Cry, if you get trapped its very easy to brake yourself free if your skilled. In Dream Drop Distance you just sit and cry. I didn't help that some areas were so big that having to go all the way back to the beginning made my weep (I'm looking at you, Sora's The World That Never Was).
I found that flowmotion on higher difficulties was also very frustrating in combat. The spin then dive attack nearly always spelled death if I used it. Now I know this sounds like I'm contradicting what I said above but while spamming and unusable are two very different side of the spectrum, it doesn't mean that either is good.

5) Horrible Boss fights
Boss fights have always been my favorite part of the Kingdom Hearts series, which is why I was incredible saddened by the fact that the bosses in 3D were some of the worst. Bosses ranged from brain dead to unforgiving hard. Near the end of the game it also seemed as though every boss hard attacks where they could instantly kill you or leave you at one hp. Human sized bosses have always been my favorite kind of boss but in Dream Drop Distance they were some of the most dreaded. Especially Young Master Xehanort, I could hardly move during that fight.
Some bosses just had stupid gimmicks. Rinzler is a good example. His constant stage flipping forced me to stay in one place and garud and counter throughout the whole fight. It wasn't very fun.
Flowmotion also got in the way of lots of these fights. It really falls flat in Riku's Grid fight. The silly flowmotion rail around the stage made it impossible to see. At first I thought, 'I could use this,' but after I did I fell on the rail again and again. It helped a lot at first but when the boss started to fire millions of lasers and discs at me (which on proud and critical it will do, a lot) I died constantly. I doesn't help that you cant use commands while in flomotion as well.

6) Dream Eaters, Commands, and Character Growth

Command system was the best part of BBS. I should actually say it combined with the Command Style system was the best part of BBS but that's not the point. The point is that in BBS was fun because of variety, lots of that variety stemmed from all the commands you would find throughout your journey almost everywhere. That fact that commands leveled and could be melded together had me constantly switching up my command deck.
This was not the case in Dream Drop Distance.
The worst part of commands in 3D is that almost all of them are found through leveling up Dream Eaters. Gone are the days of finding new commands in treasure chest because treasure chest now are only full of items for dream eaters (and the OCCASIONAL command). Leveling up Dream Eaters took forever and only resulted in a hand full of commands. To get what would be an acceptable amount of commands your have to Level up tons of dream eaters, which the game just dosen't give you time to do. Perhaps the choice not to let players level and meld commands came from this fact. Ultimately I found that all I needed to do was find the dream eaters that gave me my favorite commands, level them, and never switch commands again.
What's worse is that all of Sora and Riku's growth abilities come through the growth of dream eaters as well. I could see this work for Donald and Goofy in the counsel Kingdom Hearts games because they're almost always with you but here it gave me the same issue I have with Pokemon. It was just too tiring to level up more than just a few.

7) The need to play all handheld KH games before KH 3

No game should have taken place between KH 2 and 3 (I'm just going to disregard re:coded, because...yeah). What I like about BBS is that it gives you that backstory of Kingdom Hearts lore and villains but ultimately wasn't entirely necessary to play. Sora and a someone who hasn't played BBS are the same in the fact that the info learned in BBS would be new information for both of them. Sure, you would have extra insight if you played BBS but for everyone else it wouldn't be so important. Now that we have Dream Drop Distance, though, all of that is changed. Sora knows almost all this stuff know meaning that in KH 3 it will be regarded as old news. Now we're going to have to same problem we had between KH 1 and 2 with COM. People who never played COM were angry that KH 2 relied so heavily on Com because it made everything so confusing for them. Well now, thanks to 3D, we're going to have lots of angry confused people again. I'm not trying to say that everything would have been explained very well anyways but I believe it would have been easier without 3D.

So what are your thoughts? I did do a lot of bashing but 3D did have some novel ideas. Was Dream Drop Dristance good or bad for the series and why?

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
1. Nonsense Story

Because the story hasn't been nonsense before KH3D

2. Flowmotion

I disagree, flowmotion was the best part about the game. Going back to any other KH feels naked without it

3. Dream Links

I hardly ever used Dream Links, they were kinda useless. Riku's Dream links were pretty cool though, Sora's left a lot to be desired.

4. Difficulty

A hard game is not a bad game, if you want to cry about difficulty there are standard and easy versions just waiting to be selected

5. Bosses

Honestly, I loved the bosses in KH3D except for the battles with Ansem

6. Dream Eaters, Character growth, commands

Dream Eaters were the best allies to date, although I didn't like having to level up the Dream Eaters to get new commands. It was better than the melding in BBS in my opinion. It did annoy me that you couldn't keep all the growth abilities from the Dream Eaters.

7. Having to play the handheld games

That's why they have the memoirs in the game

Personally, I thought this was the best KH game since CoM. Although it does have a few drawbacks, it had a ton of improvements and was a solid game

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
These are all the reasons why I think Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance was bad for the series.
Okay.

1) Nonsense Story

The story in dream drop distance is just bad. The number one thing that stands out in my mind how Master Xehanort and co. got into Sora and Riku's dreams. Time traveling to enter someone's dreams is the most ludicrous thing I've heard in ages (not to mention the fact that time travel is just out of place in the Kingdom Hearts universe). Would have it been so wrong to say Xehanort just used dark magic to enter the dreams instead?
Fair enough. The time travel was extreme, I'll give you that.

Dream Drop Distance also seems to change up already established ideas. For instance, wasn't the idea in BBS that the Keyblade is past down from master to apprentice, so why can Lea just all of a sudden have the ability to wield a Keyblade?
There are more than one way to wield a keyblade I guess. Lea had a strong enough heart. And Yen Sid threw Lea, Flora, Fauna and Merriweather as well as Merlin in a special place in order to speed up the Keyblade process.

This also makes Master Xehanort just look like a plain idiot for even trying to make the X-blade out of one heart of light and one of darkness in BBS. True, one could say that Xehanort was just trying to rush the plan like he said in 3D but considering how pivotal the idea was in BBS I believe that Nomura just changed the idea so there could be a new organization XIII.
Like you said, Xehanort was trying to rush the plan. He admitted it. He now knows he needs to do it the proper way. He learnt that when the X-Blade failed the first time, and planted seeds in order to make it succeed when he tried again. No matter what happens, Xehanort has a back-up plan.

Making Flowmotion attacks as powerful as command finishes in BBS was a horrible idea. For me it totally ruined the balance of the game since flowmotion (especially with flowmotion turbo turned up) was just so powerful and spamable.
Actually the balance was fair. The game started off with Flowmotion being more powerful than commands, but then gradually flowmotion became the weaker of the two. It was a very smart move done in order to keep the player on their toes.

Square Enix seemed to think they had the solution for this problem; make certain areas bigger so flowmotion attacks cant be spammed. While this did fix the issue to a degree in created a whole new problem. These bigger areas made flowmotion for movement impossible or just not fun because you couldn't hit a wall, rail, or pole in time.
Yeah it does upset me when I'm racing towards something else but then run out right before. That's what I plan my flowmotion paths.

Originally I thought Riku's dream links were going to be so much more fun to use than Sora's. BBS has my favorite combat system so to see something Command Style esc make it into 3D had my excitement peaked. Unfortunately the lack of polish in Riku's links made Dream Links feel incredibly tacked on. Riku's Dream links sure enough looked cool but unlike BBS the attacks were slow, did barley any more damage than normal attacks, and more than often missed their target meaning you would have to start the combo over again. Sora on the other hand didn't have this issue. While some of his dream links got old (ex: riding selected Dream Eater) they were almost all useful. Most did lots of damage and were easy enough to connect with enemies. Best of all, Sora is invincible during his Dream Links giving a slight relief from the games new found difficulty. Speaking of difficulty...
I think the different types of Dream Links was a representation of where Riku was in terms of the worlds. Like, he merged together with the Dream Eaters and gained special fighting stances because he was a Dream Eater. Whether or not the attacks were powerful, I guess that's different to every player.

I know lots of people will just tell me 'difficulty is not a bad thing, your just not good at this game' but Dream Drop Distance has to be the hardiest KH game I've ever played (yes, I've played them all, even the GBA version of Chain of Memories). This time around I went for proud mode first, having grown used to Kingdom Hearts difficulty over the years. Big mistake. Dream Eaters are the most ruthless, if not adorable, enemies in the entire series.
The difficulty was fair. They even made it so you could see how hard the game was first before unlocking Critical Mode. It's much better than games that are hard but you still don't die in them(BBS)

Personally the worst part for me was the new status effects. Being an action rpg your given full control over Sora or Riku, so there's nothing worse than having that control being taken away from you in combat. Getting frozen or stunned and having to watch myself die to attacks I could see coming was the most frustrating feeling I've felt in Kingdom Hearts (well, besides unskippable cutscenes in KH1). In games like Devil May Cry, if you get trapped its very easy to brake yourself free if your skilled. In Dream Drop Distance you just sit and cry. I didn't help that some areas were so big that having to go all the way back to the beginning made my weep (I'm looking at you, Sora's The World That Never Was).
Status effects have been in the Kingdom Hearts series for, what? 4 games now? Like I said before, this is to keep a player on their toes, so they don't fall into a repetitive cycle. I'll admit, it is frustrating on Critical mode to be frozen then killed in 2 moves, but when you start up again, you learn from your mistakes and you develop a more strategic plan.

5) Horrible Boss fights
Boss fights have always been my favorite part of the Kingdom Hearts series, which is why I was incredible saddened by the fact that the bosses in 3D were some of the worst. Bosses ranged from brain dead to unforgiving hard. Near the end of the game it also seemed as though every boss hard attacks where they could instantly kill you or leave you at one hp. Human sized bosses have always been my favorite kind of boss but in Dream Drop Distance they were some of the most dreaded. Especially Young Master Xehanort, I could hardly move during that fight.
Some bosses just had stupid gimmicks. Rinzler is a good example. His constant stage flipping forced me to stay in one place and garud and counter throughout the whole fight. It wasn't very fun.
Really? I found myself moving away from YMX a lot in that battle, keeping my distance and using long range attacks since using flowmotion here is useless(Like I said before, the balance between the two shift).
Also the Rinzler fight is so it's not boring or repetitive. It shook up gameplay. That's what this game did to the series. It took everything we knew, put it on a jar and shook it up to keep up on our toes and to not know what was coming next.

Command system was the best part of BBS. I should actually say it combined with the Command Style system was the best part of BBS but that's not the point. The point is that in BBS was fun because of variety, lots of that variety stemmed from all the commands you would find throughout your journey almost everywhere. That fact that commands leveled and could be melded together had me constantly switching up my command deck.
This was not the case in Dream Drop Distance.
Command melding was a personal favourite. It was sadly missed in this game.

The worst part of commands in 3D is that almost all of them are found through leveling up Dream Eaters. Gone are the days of finding new commands in treasure chest because treasure chest now are only full of items for dream eaters (and the OCCASIONAL command). Leveling up Dream Eaters took forever and only resulted in a hand full of commands. To get what would be an acceptable amount of commands your have to Level up tons of dream eaters, which the game just dosen't give you time to do. Perhaps the choice not to let players level and meld commands came from this fact. Ultimately I found that all I needed to do was find the dream eaters that gave me my favorite commands, level them, and never switch commands again.
What's worse is that all of Sora and Riku's growth abilities come through the growth of dream eaters as well. I could see this work for Donald and Goofy in the counsel Kingdom Hearts games because they're almost always with you but here it gave me the same issue I have with Pokemon. It was just too tiring to level up more than just a few.
It was unfair that the game forces you to spend time with your dream eaters, but again, it's to shake things up. You're not going to last the whole game with the same team. You'll meet stronger dream eaters and with that you'll get better commands. Go with the flow and see where the Dream Eaters take you.

No game should have taken place between KH 2 and 3 (I'm just going to disregard re:coded, because...yeah).
Re:Coded was a very fun little game.

What I like about BBS is that it gives you that backstory of Kingdom Hearts lore and villains but ultimately wasn't entirely necessary to play. Sora and a someone who hasn't played BBS are the same in the fact that the info learned in BBS would be new information for both of them. Sure, you would have extra insight if you played BBS but for everyone else it wouldn't be so important. Now that we have Dream Drop Distance, though, all of that is changed. Sora knows almost all this stuff know meaning that in KH 3 it will be regarded as old news. Now we're going to have to same problem we had between KH 1 and 2 with COM. People who never played COM were angry that KH 2 relied so heavily on Com because it made everything so confusing for them. Well now, thanks to 3D, we're going to have lots of angry confused people again. I'm not trying to say that everything would have been explained very well anyways but I believe it would have been easier without 3D.
Like Hillboy said, the Memoirs were included for this reason. Not to mention the HD ReMix's bring the games back to one console, as well as filling in with new information and bringing in a new audience.

billyzanesucks

Most enemies and bosses weren't too hard for me on Proud because I usually fought at the recommended level. Levelling makes quite a noticeable difference in this game. Some of the bosses became my favorites.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I know lots of people will just tell me 'difficulty is not a bad thing, your just not good at this game' but Dream Drop Distance has to be the hardiest KH game I've ever played (yes, I've played them all, even the GBA version of Chain of Memories).

People think the GBA chain of memories is hard? lol

I haven't played KH3D, so just to clarifiy: are you arguing that the game's difficult because it's designed poorly?

Happyfunshineman

Awards
Those where some fast responses! I got to apologize for some of the hate and put it into context. I looked forward to 3D more than any game in my entire life. Kingdom Hearts is my personal favorite series so I expect big things. That said I felt betrayed by 3D. When you don't like something it's easy to blow it out of proportion but that's my favorite part because it breeds discussion.I think the difficulty is interesting to talk about. I love dark souls and devil may cry, both extremely hard games, so I would like to think I know what a 'fair' difficulty is. Maybe that's my problem though, that I put all of my expectations of those kinds of games on kingdom hearts. Im used to games like ninja gaiden or god of war where when you push the block button your attack animation gets cut off to a blocking one instantly no madder how insane looking tha attack was. Do you think kh could benefit from tighter controls?As far as status effect, I know there in other games and they still annoy me. What's good about status effects in say ff7 is that even if your character that is effect dies you don't get a game over, that only happens when all your characters die. In kingdom hearts though the death of sora means you need to restart (though in all fairness kh is pretty forgiving in that department)I also meant no shame on re:coded. If I had to pick out of the kh games right now to play it would be re:coded just because it's so repayable.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
.I think the difficulty is interesting to talk about. I love dark souls and devil may cry, both extremely hard games, so I would like to think I know what a 'fair' difficulty is

I was actually being a little presumptuous about that until I saw Dark Souls in your "playing" list :p I'm almost done with Demon's Souls and I'm looking forward to getting that soon. But that's off-topic!

I will fully agree with you that the plot in KH3D is utter nonsense. When I read about it I couldn't believe it was something they actually put in a game. 13 Xehanorts? I really don't think Nomura and the rest of the writers even care what they're doing at this point.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Im used to games like ninja gaiden or god of war where when you push the block button your attack animation gets cut off to a blocking one instantly no madder how insane looking tha attack was. Do you think kh could benefit from tighter controls?
Blocking was more difficult in this game, and it was frustrating at first, but then I learnt to meld both Flowmotion and blocking together in order to avoid attacks.

As far as status effect, I know there in other games and they still annoy me. What's good about status effects in say ff7 is that even if your character that is effect dies you don't get a game over, that only happens when all your characters die. In kingdom hearts though the death of sora means you need to restart (though in all fairness kh is pretty forgiving in that department)
It's always been like that. Whenever the player you're using dies, it's game over. FF7 it was different because it was a large party, but even then I believe they changed it after that for more recent Final Fantasy games?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
1) Nonsense Story

Idk, Kingdom Hearts has a pretty nonsensical to begin with.

The story in dream drop distance is just bad. The number one thing that stands out in my mind how Master Xehanort and co. got into Sora and Riku's dreams. Time traveling to enter someone's dreams is the most ludicrous thing I've heard in ages (not to mention the fact that time travel is just out of place in the Kingdom Hearts universe). Would have it been so wrong to say Xehanort just used dark magic to enter the dreams instead?

Because he didn't time travel into Sora and Riku's dreams?

Most do agree that time travel is the worst addition to the series, but it's a whatever thing now.

Am I also to believe that Master Xehanort had everything planned from the beginning even though Sora was an 'unknown factor.' I really liked the idea of Master Xehanort before when he was just a villain driven out of curiosity but now he's practically an all knowing god.

Xehanort has never been driven to do the things he does out of pure curiosity. It is what he says, yes, but his ulterior motive has always been to become like a god, using the powers of Kingdom Hearts to shape the world how he wishes it to be. It was what he wanted in KH1 (to fill the worlds with Darkness), it was what he wanted in KH2 (to make Nothingness supreme), what he wanted in BBS (to create a "balanced" universe).

If I were Sora, at this point I would just give up. Xehanort knows pretty much everything ever (exaggeration, I know that anything that happens after 3D is pretty much fair game but still), how are we going to defeat him.

That's you. Clearly Sora isn't.

They defeat him with the power of friendship and the true bonds between hearts. Haven't you been paying attention all of these years?

Dream Drop Distance also seems to change up already established ideas. For instance, wasn't the idea in BBS that the Keyblade is past down from master to apprentice, so why can Lea just all of a sudden have the ability to wield a Keyblade?

No. Keyblades can be obtained as long as the person in question has a strong heart. The Rite of Succession is something more of a "recommendation letter". If the person is worthy, they can call upon their own Keyblade.

Sora was never given a Rite of Succession but here he is, Keyblade and all. When Riku's heart weakened once he let the Darkness invade Destiny Island, the Keyblade went to Sora because his heart was strong enough to wield it. He even says "I know I wasn't chosen by the Keyblade" (And no, Sora did not gain his ability to wield a Keyblade from his connection to Ven.)

What else annoys me is the who idea behind forgin the X-blade. Once again, in BBS we were told that the X-Blade could be made when a heart of pure light and one of true darkness clashed. However, right off the bat in 3D we are told that we need seven lights and thirteen darkness. This all just felt like an incredibly convenient way to make another Organization XIII for Kingdom Hearts 3.

It is not the only way the X-blade can be formed. It was clear that it was a incomplete way even in BBS, especially since the X-blade broke so easily. It was why Xehanort was looking for the Princesses of Heart. He would have forged the X-blade through them, but it was his luck that Ven and Vanitas clashed against each other.

I'm I the only one that feels like this is just fan survive at this point? Fighting the members of Organization XIII was one of the more interesting parts of Kingdom Hearts 2 but reusing this same idea for Kingdom Hearts 3 just feels weak, like as if Nomura was just plain out of ideas.

No? Because nobody asked for this? It is only fanservice when people say they actually want this stuff and the creators actually do it. If this were fanservice, we'd already have half of the Organization dating, KH3 would be out, and every FFVII characters would be in the game.

Out of ideas? Or more like building on the story and expanding the universe. (as bad or good as it is, it is his game and he can do whatever he wants with the story)

This also makes Master Xehanort just look like a plain idiot for even trying to make the X-blade out of one heart of light and one of darkness in BBS. True, one could say that Xehanort was just trying to rush the plan like he said in 3D but considering how pivotal the idea was in BBS I believe that Nomura just changed the idea so there could be a new organization XIII.

Yes and no. This was one thing definitely planned. Xehanort did say at the end of BBS that he has many other roads to take. KH3D as a whole wasn't exactly a planned deal, though.

Xehanort admitted that his plan was rushed because he was too conscious of his old age. In BBS.

Not everything was bad though. Learning the truth about the Nobodys was my favorite part of the game and I'm glad I got to see so many familiar faces (even though Vanitus's inclusion was a total letdown).

Vanitas? His appearance is a clue. I'm glad he wasn't prominent. That means he'll have a bigger role in KH3.

Flowmotion was single most anticipated part of 3D gameplay wise for me. The idea just sounded so great. Jumping from wall to wall would surely be a blast and for the most part it was. Disappointingly though, it fell short of expactations. My biggest problem with the mechanic was its inclusion in combat. Making Flowmotion attacks as powerful as command finishes in BBS was a horrible idea. For me it totally ruined the balance of the game since flowmotion (especially with flowmotion turbo turned up) was just so powerful and spamable. Square Enix seemed to think they had the solution for this problem; make certain areas bigger so flowmotion attacks cant be spammed. While this did fix the issue to a degree in created a whole new problem. These bigger areas made flowmotion for movement impossible or just not fun because you couldn't hit a wall, rail, or pole in time. Its truly a shame as well for when flowmotion shined it shined like none other. It also helped make the area's specially made for flowmotion (like the extra districts in Travers Town) look so much more detailed. Considering one of the series consistent flaws is open and dead looking envirorments this was a very good thing. I just hope that for Kingdom Hearts 3 the idea is much better executed.

I thought Flowmotion was great in KH3D. Yes, it could have been better but this is a 3DS with limited buttons.

You're not supposed to use Flowmotion everywhere. Like Chaser said, it is about balancing its usage.

Personally I would opt for flowmotion attacks to be completely removed but I could see Square Enix due it if it was like, for example, breaking gaurds and not doing damgae.

Flowmotion is the future of Kingdom Hearts. This is the evolution of an idea Nomura has had since he made Final Fantasy VII Advent Children (and probably since before). The idea was applied in Dissidia, and was briefly planned for Birth By Sleep but didn't make the cut.

No.

I thought Riku's dream links were the best usage of the system. They never felt slow. They aren't as fast or powerful as BBS' Command Styles, but they weren't meant to be. I never experienced that combo issue?

I hated using Sora's. I hated that you couldn't cancel them.

The difficulty was fine. I really enjoyed the fact regular enemies could kill me. After BBS where you could breeze through Critical without dying outside of the Mirage Arena or the Final Bosses, this was a complete breath of fresh air. I like that even post-game I still have difficulties playing it. That is how a game should be.

(some issues with being trapped in crazy chain attacks and dying are due to game bugs. Sometimes you can do an aerial recovery, or Once More/Second Chance doesn't kick in because of some weird coding that happened during the localization)

5) Horrible Boss fights
Flowmotion also got in the way of lots of these fights. It really falls flat in Riku's Grid fight. The silly flowmotion rail around the stage made it impossible to see. At first I thought, 'I could use this,' but after I did I fell on the rail again and again. It helped a lot at first but when the boss started to fire millions of lasers and discs at me (which on proud and critical it will do, a lot) I died constantly. I doesn't help that you cant use commands while in flomotion as well.

Rinzler's fight was my favorite. It was hard and different and trippy.

I moved a lot during the YMX fight, but you were supposed to have limited mobility during that fight because he was pulling you in so he could chain attack you.

I liked having commands tied to Dream Eaters. It meant I had to take the time and level up DEs to get what I wanted, which I had little complaints over. I hated that commands were in chests because it just made things easy in my opinion. Find a free command and use it! No risk, no hassle!

I didn't enjoy melding commands in BBS like I thought I would. It was too easy to meld the right commands and get the really good ones early on in the game. I had Tornado for Ven like by the first or second world. :|

The point of the game was that Sora and Riku's growth would be through the Dream Eaters. It was one of the first things Nomura said about the game two years ago.

This is why the memoirs exist, and why 1.5 and 2.5 exist. You get the entire story and all of the games in one place. It's not hard to keep up. You don't even have to buy them if you want to.

Also Re:coded is for pure enjoyment.

Xbladewielder

Awards
True enough about nonsense story. First it was heartless, then nobodies, then unversed, now suddenly time travel? I agree that time travel doesn't really fit in with KINGDOM HEARTS.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I didn't enjoy melding commands in BBS like I thought I would. It was too easy to meld the right commands and get the really good ones early on in the game. I had Tornado for Ven like by the first or second world. :|
They should really expand on it in future games. Make it not so easy to get certain commands, keep certain things a mystery, have it been random etc.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Just saiyan of course, it is hard to say if a game is too hard or too easy, and I played my fair share of neutral plane but it's's all trial and error no matter what. How you work with your Dream Eaters, how you plan out what to do in a fight or even what playstyle fits you (Sora or Riku), it matters about having a idea what you are dealing with.

And about melding commands, does overpowered, allow certain spells to be access early in the game (DDD has the option to port your dream eaters from a clear file but that is a different story),and no matter how you look at it, made BBS a little easy?

Happyfunshineman

Awards
I finally created an account after seven years and I'm glad to see everyone has great opinions!As far as status effects and recent ff games only the original ff xiii had you get game over when your main character died but a LOT of people thought that was pretty dumb so it was changed up for xiii-2.Everyone seems pretty positive about 3d which is cool because from where I'm from everyone seems to hate me for plaing it twice

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Just saiyan of course, it is hard to say if a game is too hard or too easy

I wouldn't go that far. A game can be as difficult or as easy as it wants (within reason) as long as it's designed well. Bad design is way more important in determing how enjoyable a game's difficulty is, and people can have different opinions about how design affects games, but usually, really bad cases of design are obvious because design is a functional and not aesthetic thing.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I wouldn't go that far. A game can be as difficult or as easy as it wants (within reason) as long as it's designed well. Bad design is way more important in determing how enjoyable a game's difficulty is, and people can have different opinions about how design affects games, but usually, really bad cases of design are obvious because design is a functional and not aesthetic thing.

I just remembered the first Sonic 4 and 06 and I want my heart unlocked.

And as of now 11 years, what define fits in KH? If I need a list, what from both source used time travel in both FF and Disney because only a few games and movies come to mind.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
A quick reply to the difficulty discussion:

I think bad difficulty comes down to whether, when you lose, you feel it's your fault or the game's fault. Is it like Super Meat Boy, where the controls are perfect, and all you have to blame is your incompetence? Or is it like Sonic 06, where the game is just a steaming pile of shit?

In my opinion, 3D was in the middle. Once More never working for me pissed me off way too much, as well as blocking. And then being stuck in super cheap combos (looking at those dinosaur things in TWTNW) a lot of the time was really stupid. And then the size of some rooms were way too ridiculous and were big simply for the sake of being big, not adding anything to the environment's atmosphere, but just making it difficult to get from Point A to Point B.

Alpha Sonix

Flowmotion was single most anticipated part of 3D gameplay wise for me. The idea just sounded so great. Jumping from wall to wall would surely be a blast and for the most part it was. Disappointingly though, it fell short of expactations. My biggest problem with the mechanic was its inclusion in combat. Making Flowmotion attacks as powerful as command finishes in BBS was a horrible idea. For me it totally ruined the balance of the game since flowmotion (especially with flowmotion turbo turned up) was just so powerful and spamable. Square Enix seemed to think they had the solution for this problem; make certain areas bigger so flowmotion attacks cant be spammed. While this did fix the issue to a degree in created a whole new problem. These bigger areas made flowmotion for movement impossible or just not fun because you couldn't hit a wall, rail, or pole in time. Its truly a shame as well for when flowmotion shined it shined like none other. It also helped make the area's specially made for flowmotion (like the extra districts in Travers Town) look so much more detailed. Considering one of the series consistent flaws is open and dead looking envirorments this was a very good thing. I just hope that for Kingdom Hearts 3 the idea is much better executed. Personally I would opt for flowmotion attacks to be completely removed but I could see Square Enix due it if it was like, for example, breaking gaurds and not doing damgae.

I don't think you would be saying that if you had played it on critical. Even on proud, as Chaser said,you had to find the right balance between flowmotion and commands. While I do agree that early on in the game, and I mean on proud, not critical, you could easily flowmotion to get out of the way or spam them as finishers, you couldn't do that so easily later on in the game and it really became more of case of getting away from the enemy than trying to take them out. In critical, the Dream Eaters deal pretty good damage from the beginning so you have to be even more careful spamming there. It's the case of figuring out when to use the right attack at the right time really and that's what adds to the strategy of the game, for me at least.

Domination

Awards
1) Nonsense Story

This is the only thing that i'm probably going to agree with you saying. The story really did feel like Nomura had just changed already established ideas. I don't know how to explain it but here's an analogy. It's like I was just sitting down a restaurant and had just ordered a nice steak. The steak comes out and is placed in front of me. I take a few bites and it is incredible. For some reason the waiter arrives back at my table and without asking, pours a whole bottle of mustard onto my steak. The steak is Kingdom Hearts before DDD, the waiter is nomura or whoever else created the story and the mustard is DDD. Go figure.

The thing that REALLY ground my gears was that Organization XIII was reintroduced. In my opinion, there was just no need. Don't get me wrong, I love organization XIII but their story finished at the end of Kingdom Hearts II. Kingdom Hearts II was the final chapter of Organization XIII. It just feels to me like they had run out of ideas and just made a "New Organization XIII" being lazy.

Don't even get me started on time travel because i'm just going to say the same thing as I did in the last paragraph. They had nowhere to go so they just spontaniously introduced a concept never even heard or thought of in the series.

I don't know, that's just how I feel about the story of DDD. I just hope that Nomura has had the story of Kingdom Hearts 3 in mind whilst working on DDD's because it honestly feels like they have hit a wall.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I don't know, that's just how I feel about the story of DDD. I just hope that Nomura has had the story of Kingdom Hearts 3 in mind whilst working on DDD's because it honestly feels like they have hit a wall.
---Does that mean you already have a plot for KHIII?
Nomura: Hmm... I have an idea but it can't be helped because my team are planning to work on our next different title. So we're not working on KHIII now and we're not planning to work on it for some time, too. I have a plot in my head but I'm not sure if it'll be released to the world or just stay in there.

Kingdom Hearts II Ultimania Main Nomura Interview - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back