• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why don’t sora have dual weilding like roxas?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I mean, the fact that no one uses their armor and that Aqua never summons her old Keyblade again are reason enough for me to doubt she got her old one back at the end of the game. Like, nothing proves she did, meanwhile as for the opposite the absence is telling.
It's not a matter of which case was more severe, Terra's was just so much different than Aqua's. LW by itself and the fact that it was carrying Terra's old Keyblade around are enough to make any connection between the two kinda impossible.

Aqua has no active LW to return to her, no Guardian-like state and her Keyblade and armor are in a very specific location laying around.
I'm not sure anything confirms that you have to physically get your hands on the armor, especially since in DDD Ventus' heart makes it appear inside Sora's. Xemnas conjures No Heart and I'm not sure he actually had it on the fly right at that moment.
So if we wanna count the Riku fight in DDD as something with lasting consequences that answers why Ven never gets into his old armor, Terra doesn't use it because "Terra" never fights, he comes back when the fighting is over save for Sora, Riku, Mickey and D&G.
That leaves Aqua, who had all the reasons to conjure her armor yet still doesn't.

Same goes for the Keyblade, it has been shown how it can travel and even persist without direct contat with its owner more than once, and in the Final Episode Aqua could use both her own (to battle Terranort) and Master's Defender (to seal the Land of Departure) during the same time frame, meaning Master's Defender didn't "override" her own.

Ignoring the obvious "they just didn't want to focus on those accessory components" for argument's sake, I can only infer that both armor and Keyblade were somehow "inactive" and powerless, unable to return to her.
But why is that, it's never explained or implied.

Aaaw, I see. Honestly, I can agree with that for the most part. I won't deny that the absence of both her Keyblade and armor is pretty questionable. You would at least expect it to be referenced in some way, but they never even allude to the idea of her getting them back at any point (even after the battle). It's odd and, frankly annoying now that I think about it. Still, you could technically argue that no one among her allies knew it's location until Terra himself was restored (assuming he had any of Xemnas' memories). That is of course, if it was simply a matter of physically obtaining the armor/Keyblade and not just summoning it back to her. On that note, we see the Master's Defender persist (like you said) despite being separated from its wielder, and said wielder having their body destroyed. Aqua was then able to pick it up and use it effectively, so it didn't seem to become inactive or lack it's original power once something bad happened to it's wielder. And if that's the case, doesn't this show that if a Keyblade is physically retrieved by another wielder (let alone it's original, alive wielder), that it would become/still be "active" once it's claimed? Kinda like how Aqua snatched Mickey's Keyblade and was able to do all of her usual things with it.

Yes, she didn't, and probably couldn't, resumon her Keyblade back to her once she escaped the RoD, but just because it was out of her reach doesn't necessarily mean the blade lost its power (it's not broken or anything I don't think). It's tie to it's wielder was definitely severed though based on the evidence, I agree with that. But so was Eraqus', and it worked just fine. Either way, if she does ever go to retrieve it, do you think it's normal properties would be restored? Or would she ultimately have to get a new one?

Last edited:

Megavoltage

Awards
Terra himself was restored (assuming he had any of Xemnas' memories).
If any Xehanort(s) memories bled into Terra this could be a gargantuan update. Terra unlocking Nort memories as he has adventures could give a lot of insight on old mysteries. Learning more about Apprentice Xehanort and his time in Radiant Garden, finding out what exactly Xemnas was up to with his hidden chamber, the possible segment with a playable Young Xehanort taking place in Terra's head as he remembers more and more, etc. Terra could use this information to set up keikakus against Luxu. Big story potential.

Don't know if that'll happen with Terra. But I bet the two blonde boys will probably have some memory sharing since they have such a deep connection. While thinking about that connection here's a random thought... will Ven ever be able to dual wield?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
If any Xehanort(s) memories bled into Terra this could be a gargantuan update. Terra unlocking Nort memories as he has adventures could give a lot of insight on old mysteries. Learning more about Apprentice Xehanort and his time in Radiant Garden, finding out what exactly Xemnas was up to with his hidden chamber, the possible segment with a playable Young Xehanort taking place in Terra's head as he remembers more and more, etc. Terra could use this information to set up keikakus against Luxu. Big story potential.

Don't know if that'll happen with Terra. But I bet the two blonde boys will probably have some memory sharing since they have such a deep connection. While thinking about that connection here's a random thought... will Ven ever be able to dual wield?

The idea of some past mysteries being explored via Terra is certainly one worth thinking about, not only because it could put him center stage for a while but also because it could serve to hit several birds with one stone.
Aqua's Keyblade + armor and the Chamber of Repose in Radiant Garden not being addressed at all in KH III is just another proof that this game's pacing was very much off and there was too much focus on UX stuff rather than plot points that actually originate with the saga KH III was supposed to wrap up. It could have been easily woven in if they had allowed Aqua to be saved earlier and then do a subplot with RG and the chamber.
But maybe we'll get something about it when part of the KH III DLC includes a Radiant Garden scenario portion.

Now that they're both active players (and hopefully remain as such) I too can see there being more going on with Ven and Roxas.
About Ven dual-wielding I'd say it'll be certainly theoretically possible, and depending on how Roxas' current ability works may even be feasible.
Yet giving Ven dual-wielding would just like with Sora be copying a trait/ability that is supposed to be Roxas' specialty. Besides, if Ven dual-wields he would wield two backhand-style short Keyblades which would make him KH's version of Zidane Tribal from FF IX, lol.

Megavoltage

Awards
Now that they're both active players (and hopefully remain as such) I too can see there being more going on with Ven and Roxas.
About Ven dual-wielding I'd say it'll be certainly theoretically possible, and depending on how Roxas' current ability works may even be feasible.
Yet giving Ven dual-wielding would just like with Sora be copying a trait/ability that is supposed to be Roxas' specialty. Besides, if Ven dual-wields he would wield two backhand-style short Keyblades which would make him KH's version of Zidane Tribal from FF IX, lol.
Ven keeping that ability permanently would feel like he’s stealing Roxas’s thunder. Maybe it could happen in just one or two situations where Shit Gets Real and Ven needs a boost to defeat some ultra powerful enemy. Here’s another random thought! We learned that keyblades can be fused with Kingdom Key W. What if Roxas and Ven fuse their three weapons into one? I’m imaging the creation being similar to Zidane’s The Ogre but with keyblades. Kind of going into silly tangents now instead of talking about Sora having the ability to dual wield like OP intended... oops!

I really liked Aqua wielding the Kingdom Key W by the way. The purple matches nicely with her. More importantly she is probably worried(if not outright terrified) about becoming stranded in the Realm of Darkness again. But if Aqua had a dark keyblade she could just enter and leave whenever just like Mickey was doing so that would probably ease her mind. And Aqua being chill with using a dark weapon could show character growth. W is the perfect replacement if it does turn out Aqua can’t summon Rainfell anymore. Give it up, Mickey!

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I feel like the rules regarding the Keyblade might have changed since Dual Wielding was first introduced.

Already in KH2 honestly things regarding dual wielding the Keyblade were unclear, like how did Riku summon Kairi's Keyblade, was he dual wielding or did he somehow manage to work as a surrogate for her in summoning it?

Then in BBS we had the first case where we had one wielder have two keyblades in their hammer space at once, without being said to dual wield. Aqua seemingly had both her and Eraqus' Keyblades in her hammer space. The secret episode then showed us she could completely use the Master Defender as, if it were her own. In this game we're also introduced to the notion that keyblades outside of hammer space can not be summoned across realms.

Sora did much the same in KH3 he had Master Defender in his hammer space while still having his own keyblade in there. Being able to switch between them much like he did between the keychanges on his own Keyblade.

Now these might just be cases where more than one Keyblade deems a wielder or multiple wielders as worthy, listening to both of their summons.

Another question KH3 brought up is can you summon your keyblade away from another wielder? Because I'd think both Mickey and Aqua could have taken their keyblades back while they were in the posession of another, though the master Defender might have refused to listen to Dark Aqua.

Regarding Roxas and his two keyblades, I think he was basicalyl just doing what he'd been doing up to this point calling upon Sora and Ven's keyblades. Seeing the same Keyblade could be used by two different people at the same time in Days, I assume that was still happening in KH3.

On the other note about Aqua getting her Keyblade and Armor back, personally I think she could probably summon her Keyblade back the moment she returned to the realm of light, but just chose to stick with the Master Defender for some reason after returning. Though maybe Keyblades can also not be summoned across world, we currently don't know. With the armor I have the feeling she needs to actually retrieve it.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Ven's dual wielding might not happen depending on how Nomura sees Roxas' nature as a Nobody and/or the "carrier" (Ventus was always in someone's heart, but never had any hearts inside him) so maybe the connection is a one-way trip only.

Riku getting Kairi's Keyblade will forever remain a question mark and one can only speculate, but I think it falls more into the same instance as Aqua and Sora holding onto Master's Defender. I think he just had that one as well and wasn't really dual wielding.

The point about not being able to call Keyblades from other realms might be also object of discussion: Terra and Ven's Keyblades did travel to the Real of Darkness to help Aqua, and while I'm not sure what it entails exactly Sora was able to conjure Keyblades (hearts) from the past. Like, even if they were the Keyblades in the Graveyard (of which I'm not that certain) they used to be lifeless keys so the hearts tied to them were able to trascend time (as hearts are seemingly masters of doing, at this point).

About two wielders fighting for the same Keyblade, I guess we have Sora and Riku in KH1 to refer to: the Keyblade will go towards the stronger heart.
Which... isn't all that flattering for Mickey, I guess. Despair corrupted Aqua had a stronger heart than his own.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
If we're giving examples on who was in possession of more than one Keyblade at once without Dual Wielding, Mickey is another prime example. After obtaining the Kingdom Key D in Kh1, he switched between that and his Star Seeker on a semi regular basis. So for example, he used the KK-D in Kh2 and DDD, but he used the Star Seeker for the entirety of Recoded. Eventually the dark Kingdom Key would get severely damaged in their fight with a Demon Tower, and from their Yen Sid either repairs it, or replaces it altogether (it's unclear which). That said, it appears that the ability to store more than one Keyblade in your "pocket space" of sorts, is innate to all Keyblade wielders. The ability to wield two at once however, seems to have more specific requirements (e.g. having two or more hearts at once, or a special connection to more than one). I believe the proper term for that is Synch Blade, though you can correct me if I'm wrong. One thing I'm curious about is if either of the Keyblades Roxas wields originate from him entirely, or is like Adrian said, and that he's simply calling on Ventus' and Sora's Keyblades. Because in the latter case, if that unique connection we continue presume he still has Sora and Ventus is in any way severed,would Roxas lose the ability to world the Keyblade entirely? Or would he simply form his own like how Riku did with Way to Dawn? Food for thought I guess.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
If we're giving examples on who was in possession of more than one Keyblade at once without Dual Wielding, Mickey is another prime example. After obtaining the Kingdom Key D in Kh1, he switched between that and his Star Seeker on a semi regular basis. So for example, he used the KK-D in Kh2 and DDD, but he used the Star Seeker for the entirety of Recoded. Eventually the dark Kingdom Key would get severely damaged in their fight with a Demon Tower, and from their Yen Sid either repairs it, or replaces it altogether (it's unclear which). That said, it appears that the ability to store more than one Keyblade in your "pocket space" of sorts, is innate to all Keyblade wielders. The ability to wield two at once however, seems to have more specific requirements (e.g. having two or more hearts at once, or a special connection to more than one). I believe the proper term for that is Synch Blade, though you can correct me if I'm wrong. One thing I'm curious about is if either of the Keyblades Roxas wields originate from him entirely, or is like Adrian said, and that he's simply calling on Ventus' and Sora's Keyblades. Because in the latter case, if that unique connection we continue presume he still has Sora and Ventus is in any way severed,would Roxas lose the ability to world the Keyblade entirely? Or would he simply form his own like how Riku did with Way to Dawn? Food for thought I guess.

I actually forgot that Mickey used the Star Seeker again post-BBS, so he had a keyblade of the realm of light and darkness at the same time, interesting. I really do wish they'd have some kind of info in the games on what a keyblade wielder is and can do in the games, but I doubt SE ever wants to limit themselves like that.

I'm guessing Sync Blade really is just the ability to call upon two at once and use them. I personally do not few using the keyblade of a friend you took out of their hand as dual wielding, so I won't really count what Sora did in KH2's end as him duel wielding in base form.

I'm actually really curious if Roxas and Xion will ever get their own unique keyblades, though I guess by now Oblivion and Oathkeeper just are Roxas' keyblades.

I won't rule out the possibility that one of the keyblades is his own and the other he either gets from Sora or Ven, though who knows Nomura might bring this up in another game or it might be another Riku and Kairi's Keyblade thing that's never explained.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Ven keeping that ability permanently would feel like he’s stealing Roxas’s thunder. Maybe it could happen in just one or two situations where Shit Gets Real and Ven needs a boost to defeat some ultra powerful enemy. Here’s another random thought! We learned that keyblades can be fused with Kingdom Key W. What if Roxas and Ven fuse their three weapons into one? I’m imaging the creation being similar to Zidane’s The Ogre but with keyblades. Kind of going into silly tangents now instead of talking about Sora having the ability to dual wield like OP intended... oops!

Yea, that's exactly my take on it as well.
Dual-Wielding is somewhat largely associated with Roxas just like the backhand-wielding is with Ven.
Technically Ven already does "dual-wielding" when in his Wingblade Style as he then controls six swords at once, but they're made of light energy obviously and no Keyblades.
Zidane's thief swords are essentially Dual Blades but I dunno if this type of weapon would actually be feasible or workable for Keyblades as it would be probably much easier to transform a Keyblade into an actual Dual Blade instead of joining two individual ones at the hilt.

Another question KH3 brought up is can you summon your keyblade away from another wielder? Because I'd think both Mickey and Aqua could have taken their keyblades back while they were in the posession of another, though the master Defender might have refused to listen to Dark Aqua.

Regarding Roxas and his two keyblades, I think he was basicalyl just doing what he'd been doing up to this point calling upon Sora and Ven's keyblades. Seeing the same Keyblade could be used by two different people at the same time in Days, I assume that was still happening in KH3.

On the other note about Aqua getting her Keyblade and Armor back, personally I think she could probably summon her Keyblade back the moment she returned to the realm of light, but just chose to stick with the Master Defender for some reason after returning. Though maybe Keyblades can also not be summoned across world, we currently don't know. With the armor I have the feeling she needs to actually retrieve it.

It's an interesting question indeed and due to lack of official examples I'd say it may be an issue of stronger will and intent.

In Deep Dive and Days we saw Riku using Roxas' Oblivion against him for a while, but Roxas knew close to nothing about the abilities of Keyblades and didn't even think about summoning it back from Riku obviously. He didn't even know you can let your Keyblade disappear and summon it back right to your hand as shown in KH 2 when he battles Sora and gets defeated because of Sora using this feat.

All other cases so far seem to be those where the wielder in question allows someone else to wield their blade or is not present to try and take the blade back forcibly.
In the KH 2 final battle Riku explicitly hands over Way to the Dawn to Sora and during Days Sora was not present personally to forbid/prevent Roxas and Xion from using Kingdom Key.

The only case coming close might be Dark Aqua using Mickey's new Kingdom Key W but that may be explained simply by her will being stronger due to Mickey being handicapped with his own feelings of guilt.

About two wielders fighting for the same Keyblade, I guess we have Sora and Riku in KH1 to refer to: the Keyblade will go towards the stronger heart.
Which... isn't all that flattering for Mickey, I guess. Despair corrupted Aqua had a stronger heart than his own.

Like I said above, I would assume that Mickey's heart was specifically weakened during that chain of events due to his own feelings of guilt and inadequacy as he knows he essentially let Aqua down and that makes his heart waver.

One thing I'm curious about is if either of the Keyblades Roxas wields originate from him entirely, or is like Adrian said, and that he's simply calling on Ventus' and Sora's Keyblades. Because in the latter case, if that unique connection we continue presume he still has Sora and Ventus is in any way severed,would Roxas lose the ability to world the Keyblade entirely? Or would he simply form his own like how Riku did with Way to Dawn? Food for thought I guess.

I dunno if the Ultimania addresses any of this, but even if Roxas is right now still "borrowing" copies of Sora's and Ven's blades due to their special connection I am convinced his own heart is certainly qualified to be a wielder by itself. It would just be a question of another Keyblade actually choosing specifically Roxas' heart as its wielder and thus becoming his personal one.
Who knows, maybe Roxas gaining his own Keyblade will actually be a plot point down the line in the new saga somehow?

If the two blades he wields in KHIII are however already his own ones maybe it's actually a Keyblade Transformation too? One that turns into Oathkeeper and Oblivion in its transformed state but is actually a mix of the two in its initial state?

Back