• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why does this game exist

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Mexican Sora

Awards
Literally nobody asked for this. I would have rather taken more DLC for KH3 or a console adaptation of KH UX. Am I the only one alone i thinking this?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Interesting username and Avatar, lol

I think Nomura just wanted to have a Rhythem game in the series. As for a console game based on UX we have two spots for unannounced games. One of them could be the game you want.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
You're not the only one thinking this, but was this really that unexpected?

I mean, yes it being a rhythm game is unexpected but the Kingdom Hearts series is known for reinventing itself and experimenting with different gameplay forms and genres in every non-numbered release.

CoM threw away the gameplay of the first game in favour of strategy card gameplay. Birth by Sleep included racing and a board game within it, while its main gameplay incorporated choosing your own special attacks in the form of commands.

Coded featured side scrolling platformer, auto runner, and turn battles. Even Days, which tried to be similar in gameplay to the numbered games, introduced new experimental gameplay elements such as the backpack and replayable missions.

For years people have begged for a Theathrythm game for Kingdom Hearts. It missed its mark of being a 3DS game alongside the two Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest Theathrhythm, but at least this game is not platform exclusive and not available on a platform people would have to buy the console for.

Kingdom Hearts is a series applauded for its music. To celebrate the work of everyone who provided music for the series in a rhythm game is marvellous.

You also don't have to buy the game. If the Kairi segments are just a handful of cutscenes spread out through the game, then you can watch those on YouTube. You don't have to drop money on a game that you don't want to play.

Kingdom Hearts III likely won't receive any further DLC, but nothing is stopping a remake of Union X. Osaka is working on the next big Kingdom Hearts. There's also a team working on an unannounced title which could be an X remake or it could be something else.

We know barely anything about Melody of Memory so reservations are fine, but why not wait until we see more from the game before making that quick of a judgement?

Last edited:
Awards
I am SO FUCKING GLAD I'm not a huge kairi fan. Although, it does hurt me to imagine what they're going through right now.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The music is practically the only thing in this series almost 99% of the audience can agree on being top-notch so why not celebrate that?

In all honesty I am actually more interested in re-experiencing all the wonderful songs and melodies from Shimomura than watching the newest dumb twists Nomura has in store for the "story" that looses more internal consistency with every new installment while treating most characters as props or concepts instead of actual characters.

disney233

Awards
I'm personally fine with a rhythm game tbh. But...what doesn't sit well with me is that (Should've seen it coming anyway) it would've just been better as a standalone game rather than a tie into the main story. KAIRI'S BACKSTORY, AFTER ALMOST 20 YEARS, IS EXPLORED VIA RHYTHM GAME, and that's why it doesn't sit well with me at all, but asking why it exists is...pretty broad.

Cumguardian69

Awards
It exists because

(1) the amount of buttons for the music would not be feasible on smartphones

(2) the insane amount of cut content from KH3 needed to be retooled SOMEHOW to keep the interest for the series going.

Trust that they absolutely would have made another mobileshit gacha "rhythm" game if they could (see: Fire Emblem Heroes side mode). Unfortunately for them, Yoko's compositions are basically god tier and super complex. So SE had to settle for old engine side mode for that easy money.

ReMIND made the mistake of wanting to do a lot but not having the time to do it, which is why scenes like FGM in RD haphazardly throw new plot details out without even attempting to elaborate on them, and why scenes have insane timeskips between them.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Who asked for it? A lot of people from what I've seen over the years. Though I'm pretty sure this isn't what they were imagining, when they said they wanted a Kingdom Hearts Rhythm Game.

While I personally am not into rhythm games and would have prefered getting a more BBS or DDD like title for Kairi's backstory, I'm open and willing to give this a go.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Yall, MoM doesn't exist to tell Kairi's backstory. The story in this game is an afterthought and merely a cheap method to reuse cut content. The game exists for the rhythm aspect. I 100% promise you what story MoM features will be short, sour, poorly paced, and abruptly interrupted for the sake of even more UX (or DR) sequel baiting.

Henryp

Awards
Yall, MoM doesn't exist to tell Kairi's backstory. The story in this game is an afterthought and merely a cheap method to reuse cut content. The game exists for the rhythm aspect. I 100% promise you what story MoM features will be short, sour, poorly paced, and abruptly interrupted for the sake of even more UX (or DR) sequel baiting.

You know the thing about market is that, they are allow to reuse assets to save money and time, but we are allow too to not buy that? I see a lot of people complaining on why this game is made. Even if it was the most stupid game in history, if they want to sell it they can, and we can choose not to buy it and see the story content on YouTube. That's fair play. I don't mind that much the gatcha games for example. I can't say I play it, and I've never spent an euro on them. However, if its beneficial for them and they put story on it, I just go to see the amazing translations people are doing.

I do believe MoM will have very short story content. However, it is too soon to tell if it is gonna be bad, poor or bad paced. Com and specially 0.2 were quite short games, but very solid on their story so...

2 quid is good

Awards
I think a lot of people's issues stem from the fact that story content, especially Kairi content, is being shoved in here. Imo, it's likely these are just gonna be a few cutscenes, in which case, why not add as a free update to KH3? It would do wonders to improve the relationship between fans and the company and it's not as if there's zero precedence for this in KH.

It's like.... A lot of people wanted a rhythm game, and a lot of people wanted a kairi game, but putting the two together like this dissatisfies the people who just wanted a no strings attached spin off (and yeah I get it, I've been around the block with KH, I KNOW we can't have "spin offs" but we can at least have recoded level connectivity to the plot) and the people who wanted a deep dive into Kairi's character - and I hugely disagree with the people who say she's not enough to hold a game on her own. Well, that's why you have writers innit.

People are just tired of the piecemeal plot nonsense. Imagine going to a restaurant famed for its main courses, but when you get there you're just served small amounts of everything and it's all played separately and given to you separately, rather than the main course you expected or were promised, but you're told to be grateful anyway.

I dunno, I'm not happy with this alleged new start for KH being just as bad with plot as the old ones and I wish they'd stop with the drop feed content. It's not really cool or amazing to me, even though both components of the game are something I've been hankering for a long time. I'm sure FF Theatrythm would be equally divisive if it suddenly had hidden content that confirmed Squall died at the end of disc 1 or something equally stupid.

Henryp

Awards
I think a lot of people's issues stem from the fact that story content, especially Kairi content, is being shoved in here. Imo, it's likely these are just gonna be a few cutscenes, in which case, why not add as a free update to KH3? It would do wonders to improve the relationship between fans and the company and it's not as if there's zero precedence for this in KH.

It's like.... A lot of people wanted a rhythm game, and a lot of people wanted a kairi game, but putting the two together like this dissatisfies the people who just wanted a no strings attached spin off (and yeah I get it, I've been around the block with KH, I KNOW we can't have "spin offs" but we can at least have recoded level connectivity to the plot) and the people who wanted a deep dive into Kairi's character - and I hugely disagree with the people who say she's not enough to hold a game on her own. Well, that's why you have writers innit.

People are just tired of the piecemeal plot nonsense. Imagine going to a restaurant famed for its main courses, but when you get there you're just served small amounts of everything and it's all played separately and given to you separately, rather than the main course you expected or were promised, but you're told to be grateful anyway.

I dunno, I'm not happy with this alleged new start for KH being just as bad with plot as the old ones and I wish they'd stop with the drop feed content. It's not really cool or amazing to me, even though both components of the game are something I've been hankering for a long time. I'm sure FF Theatrythm would be equally divisive if it suddenly had hidden content that confirmed Squall died at the end of disc 1 or something equally stupid.

I understand where are you coming from. Me, as KH fan and a Kairi "stand" (not a fan but I still bet on her) would be highly dissapointed if her only arc in this coming Saga becomes a few cutscenes in a rhythm game where we play as Sora. I actually don't think it would be the case, but let's put it in the worst case scenario. The thing is, we know almost nothing about the second phase, except maybe some UX stuff. We don't know the big plan above all, if it is a good plan, a rushed plan, or what. Many people are already jumping into the hate train of "why a rhythm game" and "the story would be bad". And setting the first group apart, we actually got one of the best storylines in one of the weirdest KH games: CoM. And the card system was widely hated at the time, but the story content turned out amazing. Even X, although went a little of rails with UX, had a pretty solid story for what it was/is.

The other thing is that we don't know what goes behind the scenes. As an example, bbs vol. 2 was meant to be its own full game and never got green light, so Nomura chose to put a tech demo of KH3 with that storyline in a compilation with an "old" title. Maybe the infamous Kairi game never got green light and the rhythm game did, so he chose to put what he wanted to tell about Kairi in MoM. Thing is, we don't know what is going on so far.

And I have a problem with the term "promised". We were promised nothing. Nomura said the title screen was a hint and that the nxt game was coming surprisingly soon. MoM fits both statements. Any other scenario of Kairi having her own action rpg game or the DDD vol 2 have been made up by us the fan. Of course I will prefer a full playable Kairi scenario for her own storyline, and I still hope that would be the case either in MoM or in the following title. However, it is not like they have already sold me that type of game and then all the sudden "no, we are making it rhythm".@

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Uh, people have been begging for this game for years. The music has been the most consistent aspect of the series and it deserved a rhythm game. I just wish they had made it KH Theatrhythm instead of what we are getting but I’m sure we will have fun with this regardless. This is exactly what we should be getting. Fun spin-off titles with unique gameplay systems.

We should not be getting a rhythm game with canon-important story, though.

Don’t get me wrong. I expected this and I’m honestly just that far gone that I’m gonna have fun regardless but this does not mean there aren’t a multitude of issues with this game already.

My issues stem from the fact Nomura saw people begging for a Kairi game was was like “well...okay here you go.” and slapped her story with the rhythm game people have also been begging for since FF Theatrhythm existed.

My belief is that the rhythm game should have been its own thing and a Kairi game should have been its own thing.

The disparate graphics, the fact that we don’t know what the Kairi part of this game is (is it cutscenes that unlock as we play the rhythm game? Is it a separate entity within the game with its own gameplay?), and the fact that people most likely have to play a rhythm game for very intriguing and interesting canon story is just a brilliant highlight of how Nomura just still doesn’t fucking know how to stop.

I just don’t understand. Not everybody is good at rhythm games. The new/returning audience they built from KH3 is likely not interested in a game like this. And we have the core audience scratching their heads because while we have been begging for a rhythm game, we didn’t expect it in this form.

I feel like I’m being harsh despite being the exact type of person for this game and loving this game, and I’m trying to avoid judging this game so harshly when we know absolutely nothing about it besides it’s a rhythm game and it’s a Kairi game...but man that combination...I get why people are bothered.

BUT. I’m fuckin down Nomura, SE, take me to rhythm hell.

TL;DR: people have been begging for a rhythm game. Do not judge that aspect of this. Be more upset that Kairi’s story got thrown into the rhythm game fans have been begging for since 2012.

Foxycian

Awards
Interesting username and Avatar, lol

I think Nomura just wanted to have a Rhythem game in the series. As for a console game based on UX we have two spots for unannounced games. One of them could be the game you want.
Maybe one spot is for the new unannounced game, the other spot could be for the upcoming series on Disney +

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
I just don’t understand. Not everybody is good at rhythm games. The new/returning audience they built from KH3 is likely not interested in a game like this. And we have the core audience scratching their heads because while we have been begging for a rhythm game, we didn’t expect it in this form.

Yes to your whole post, but especially this part. I am very confused about how I personally should feel about this game (beyond the "Kairi-game" part of the equation) because, while I'm totally on board on principle, I think I really suck at Rhythm games. KH mini-games have always made me cry because they meant I'd never be able to unlock those rare items, and the Fantasia Reality Shift in DDD gave me a ridiculously hard time. I feel like I'm going to get stuck half-way through at best and will have to watch the game on YouTube anyway. It's fine, but I'm sad :(

I would have loved for this game to be a fun way to recap the whole series for newcomers (especially younger ones?), a way for people who aren't particularly into the "regular" KH gameplay to get a sense of the universe, the music and that story many of us have been passionate about for so long. I'm still crossing my fingers for the story to be a "simple" "dive to the heart" / exploration of memories -- Kairi having been in Sora's heart throughout KH1, that part would make sense, but I'd like ALL the people who have touched or been in Sora's heart to be entry points. Make it a little poetic, not too complex. Something I can get my casual gamer friends for Christmas and that we could play together when we need a break from Just Dance and CTR.

This type of gameplay would have been perfect for a Namine game: plot-relevant for fans, yet still a side-game. The music and game style are so good in themselves, do they really have to throw in our "female lead" for it to sell? I don't get it. She's not "bankable". My 10-year-old niece who'd played KH3 before me (only up to Arendelle) had no idea who these guys were when I asked her if Riku and Kairi were in the game. There are so many good characters with fun spin-off opportunities, so many players / parents who don't care about plot as long as the game is fun and family-friendly, why waste Kairi on this one?

I don't know.

Okay, let me stop you there. People have been asking for a KH rhythm game for a while now.

Making it canon to the overall plot? Yeah that's where we get kind of a problem. But if anything, it makes me more interested in the game honestly.

Exactly.

Jeez.

Foxycian

Awards
I’m fine with the Rhythm game I always loved how Kh games always bring new game style, my only problem with kingdom hearts... YES my only Problem! Is how Nomura try to connect everything to one another, I don’t want you to keep connecting old games to News games Making up stuff/plot holes as the series goes on.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm not opposed to a rhythm game, it's just I have to learn to get good at them lol. This could make for some hilarious let's plays on Youtube, I might just have to do a live one myself so everyone can watch me suffer with my poor timing. Looking forward to the music for sure.

My only issue is, not that Kairi is getting story here, but we're just now learning her backstory at the start of phase 2. This is something that should have happened in a earlier game and now Kairi should be on the second half of her character growth, not just getting started on the first half. Every other character had some level of growth except Kairi and I feel Kairi's first arc should be in a...bigger game. If this was her second arc then no problem.

But who knows what Melody of Memory will bring? I'm looking forward to this with each passing day for both the gameplay and Kairi's story. I'm ready for Atlantica the game, bring it on!

Back