• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Why does everyone hate the prequels, special editions, and the sequels? (Fun discussion)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

vaderskywalker

Awards
I have never understood this, and I was born in the 90s, so I don't hate the prequels, in fact I love the prequels, but I did see the originals first, but I was so young when I saw the originals, that the only one I saw mostly during that time was episode 4, and that was on live tv, so I barely remembered 5 and 6, but I did remember some of them, like Leia meeting wicket, and Luke losing to Vader the first time, but finally got to see all of them when I got the VHS in 2003 or 2004, and I don't even know if they were the special editions, like the wampa that captures Luke in episode 5, when it got its arm chopped off, it was censored, got the DVDs later and it was uncensored, either way I don't have a problem with the special editions, btw that was a wampa right? I digress, as for the prequels never had a problem with those, their just kind of unfairly hated, and I don't know why, people say it's bad acting, but I just don't see it, like for example, when Hayden does upset Anakin, it feels like he's really upset, side note I see what the problem is with episode 2, It's boring, but I have to watch it when I do a star wars marathon, in chronological order, not release date order, anyway and finally the sequels, I already made a thread for what I didn't like about them, but everything else, yeah loved them, but the one that I can safely say I hate with a passion is rogue one, that was a depressing movie, and I don't have a problem with a depressing star wars movie, revenge of the Sith is a depressing star wars movie, and I'm perfectly okay with that, and the reason I'm okay with that and not rogue one is because we were given three movies with those characters, rogue one you get one (pun not intended) movie with these characters and that's it your not even given a chance to get attached to these characters, I cant be emotionally attached to characters if they die in the movie they're introduced in, but I'm getting side tracked, why do people hate, the prequels, the special editions, and the sequels? p.s I do not hate Jar Jar either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

Original trilogy fans didn't believe the prequels and sequels lived up to their potential.

The Special Edition changes felt unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaderskywalker

Awards
No one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans
Are you referring to me? Because I just explained why I love Star Wars, and the only one I don't like is rogue one, and if you're not referring to me, then what do you mean? I'm just curios.

D

Deleted member 246005

Are you referring to me? Because I just explained why I love Star Wars, and the only one I don't like is rogue one, and if you're not referring to me, then what do you mean? I'm just curios.
It's probably meant generally. Most Star Wars fans are pretty divided on what they like/dislike and are pretty vocal about it. But that's how any fandom gets not just Star Wars. If you explore other forums, they aren't much different from this one.

vaderskywalker

Awards
It's probably meant generally. Most Star Wars fans are pretty divided on what they like/dislike and are pretty vocal about it. But that's how any fandom gets not just Star Wars. If you explore other forums, they aren't much different from this one.
That's another thing I don't understand, why are we so divided on the things we love, it's okay to disagree, but some people take it to the extreme, why can't it just bring us closer together? call me an idealist if you want, but that's just how I feel on the subject.

palizinhas

Awards
It's a fandom quote - because every fandom has hate, but SW "fans" outright harassed George Lucas for YEARS and still harass cast members to this day.

D

Deleted member 246005

That's another thing I don't understand, why are we so divided on the things we love, it's okay to disagree, but some people take it to the extreme, why can't it just bring us closer together? call me an idealist if you want, but that's just how I feel on the subject.
Stories inspire alot of emotions and not all of them good. Learning how to deal with that is just apart of growing up. It's a skill not everyone learns.

Ironically stories we love as a child inspire more devotion and are harder to let go.

It gets worse because the internet allows for anonymity. So people often don't face consequences or let things go.

It's a very psychological issue and this was meant to be the TDLR version.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The sequel films (especially The Last Jedi) are just horrible films in general. The only one that is actually decently good is The Force Awakens, but knowing how badly The Last Jedi screws over that entire trilogy kills any enjoyment one may get from watching The Force Awakens.

I'm not that big of a Star Wars fan, I mean I love the original trilogy especially Episode 4. But outside of the films, I don't watch any of the spinoff series (I watched Obi-Wan). The prequel films were OK, they had moments that were meh, but at least they still felt like Star Wars films.

I think Star Wars fans seemingly "hate" the prequels, sequels or special editions because they're very passionate about the franchise... so passionate that they believe whatever they want should be canon and nothing else. I think that can become toxic because I've seen that passion transition from being simply frustrated about a film to being nasty to others in the fandom/abusive to cast and crew of the films. I can understand being disappointed by the final product, but when you let that suck away any joy you have in the franchise, it makes one wonder why that person is still a "fan". If they hate it so much, then just leave the fandom or try to find something you enjoy and stick around to see if you like future projects. But don't let your negativity bring down a whole fandom or be offensive to people that worked on the film.

vaderskywalker

Awards
The question you asked involves a very long answer.

I gave you the short version.
Oh, and for the record I didn't mean to put the word thing in my post, didn't even notice it until I checked my thread.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
As someone who has no nostalgia for Star Wars, these are my thoughts.

Episode I was boring and pointless.

Episode II gave me secondhand embarrassment and it was pointless.

Episode III, despite its laughable moments, was genuinely the only necessary film to watch out of all the prequels. I also found it quite exciting to watch.

The Force Awakens is decent, but basic. It's very obviously an introductory film to the sequel franchise, but it's unfortunately soiled by the sequels.

The Last Jedi was a mess.

Rise of Skywalker tried undoing that mess by creating even more messes.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
People can’t separate their identity from their passions and create unhealthy dynamics with their hobbies.

It’s ironic how the teachings of George Lucas about attachments and possession fell on deaf ears.

Ideally one should be like the Jedi: champion the things you love, be mindful of your less than desirable emotions but embrace them in a healthy and productive manner. Know WHEN to let go of things.

I’ve made my peace with some of the failings of this franchise, which in turn has made me love it even more! Taking the same approach has helped me reconcile with Kingdom Hearts and it’s hard to swallow concepts.

Also we have to remember that SW is a cultural phenomenon. It has shaped media and culture in ways other IP can’t, so the SW fandom is huge and diverse. With a number that big you’re bound to have very vocal opinions.

vaderskywalker

Awards
Ideally one should be like the Jedi: champion the things you love, be mindful of your less than desirable emotions but embrace them in a healthy and productive manner. Know WHEN to let go of things.
Amazing, every word of what you just said was wrong, the jedi were nothing like that, that's how I would like them to be, but there not, they shied away from emotions, taught their student the exact opposite, and because of that, they pushed Anakin to trust Palpatine, all because he wanted to save Padme, and he fell to the dark side, their code was, there is no emotion, there is peace, there is no ignorance, there is knowledge, there is no passion, there is serenity, there is no chaos, there is harmony, there is no death, there is the force, the jedi were more like a bunch of emotionless robots, which I think is kind of funny, because R2 and 3PO showed more emotion than the jedi.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I understand how one can assume that I was speaking of the prequel Jedi given that they’re Jedi we’re exposed to the most.

When I said we should be like the Jedi, I meant like the true concept of the Jedi. George Lucas went out of his way to portray the prequel Jedi as fallen from grace, disconnected from the Galaxy, locked away in their ivory tower. The prequel Jedi are not the Jedi of old, the galant and caring peacemakers of yore. They’re soldiers forced to participate in a war of their undoing, fastened by their pride and complacency. It’s why the Sith went unnoticed for so long, and why their demise was tolerated by the Galaxy.

This is not a slight against you, but your comment is a common problem in this fanbase. We get so hung up on the lore and pieces that we ignore the true message.
Do me a favor, go to YouTube, search for George Lucas interviews or college speeches and focus on his message. It’s not about the technicalities of the lore but the message and heart of the story. When you get so hung up on the details you mis the true treasure underneath it all. A story about championing the good of humanity and accepting our darkness. That’s why the fandom is at its current state. They ONLY care about the technicalities and strip these films from their soul, which in turn breed the discourse.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I hate the sequels for destroying the EU I've known for decades. I waited so long to see Han & Leia's real children Jacen, Jaina, & Anakin Solo plus Luke's wife Mara Jade & son Ben Skywalker in a movie but nooooo.........

vaderskywalker

Awards
I understand how one can assume that I was speaking of the prequel Jedi given that they’re Jedi we’re exposed to the most.

When I said we should be like the Jedi, I meant like the true concept of the Jedi. George Lucas went out of his way to portray the prequel Jedi as fallen from grace, disconnected from the Galaxy, locked away in their ivory tower. The prequel Jedi are not the Jedi of old, the galant and caring peacemakers of yore. They’re soldiers forced to participate in a war of their undoing, fastened by their pride and complacency. It’s why the Sith went unnoticed for so long, and why their demise was tolerated by the Galaxy.

This is not a slight against you, but your comment is a common problem in this fanbase. We get so hung up on the lore and pieces that we ignore the true message.
Do me a favor, go to YouTube, search for George Lucas interviews or college speeches and focus on his message. It’s not about the technicalities of the lore but the message and heart of the story. When you get so hung up on the details you mis the true treasure underneath it all. A story about championing the good of humanity and accepting our darkness. That’s why the fandom is at its current state. They ONLY care about the technicalities and strip these films from their soul, which in turn breed the discourse.
Sorry about that, I was sure you were talking about the prequel jedi, it gets confusing when there are multiple jedi groups in the timelines, we have the prequels, the sequels, the legends, and the distant past, and yes, I consider the legends to be canon in another timeline and to those who have seen my other thread is anyone else sick of this concept, for the record I never said I downright hated the multiverse concept, I just said I was sick of seeing it everywhere, and as for the George Lucas thing, I'll take your word for it, after all I've already seen his interviews for the original six movies, no hard feelings?

Back