• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why does Chain of Memories get so much hate?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
To be honest, Days actually garners more hate than CoM within the fandom, but the most common reason you'd find would be the card system.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
To be honest, Days actually garners more hate than CoM within the fandom, but the most common reason you'd find would be the card system.

I actually liked the card system. It was a fresher from KH1/2 hack and slash gameplay.

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
I guess a lot of people disliked it because the decks were pretty Un-Kingdom Hearts. I personally LOVED the card battle system. It added a lot of really fun strategy to the game; building a deck was super fun, moogle rooms, buying cards, the thrill when you get a really good one. Re: Chain of Memories was even better, in my opinion, though the original holds fond nostalgic memories. By the Castle Oblivion floor at the end of my most recent replay (a few weeks ago) I had a deck of only 8 and 9 attack cards. No one could touch me, haha.

But yeah, CoM is unique, and that's why I absolutely love it, and at the same time, probably why it gets the hate.

Gotta love that story, too. Really gripping. I wasn't spoiled of anything when I first played it, so everything was fresh and it blew my mind. A great game.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

Pretty much this. People don't like trying new things. I found that once I mastered the card system, it became a deeply engrossing and satisfying experience.

noheartx

I tried playing Re:Com, and i just hated the battle system. It's a really creative idea, don't get me wrong, but i hate the fact that you need to use cards to attack with your keyblade, and then reload them, which takes awhile. BBS had the better version of the card system, even though it was called a command deck, i thought it was much better.

I guess the one thng that really bothered me is that there were times when you were completely defenseless. I don't think that should happen.

billyzanesucks

People disliked how different the battle system was, mainly. I was annoyed about the graphics. Then I got Re: Chain of Memories and enjoyed it to an extent. Playing another console KH game was really refreshing.

Gram

Banned
Awards
people hated having to use their heads for actual strategy with the card system is the main reason.

Last edited:

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
no one hates chain of memories one of the fasted selling game boy games ever

Mr. Wilhelm

Also Sprach Zarathustra
Website
www.animus-sorrow.org
I don't see how Chain of Memories garners hatred. Quite the contrary.

You're basically not a real KH fan if you don't find Chain of Memories to be the greatest KH game ever made with the greatest amount of character development ever and the most innovative gameplay ever created, in this forums and many others KH Forums. If anything, it's the most appreciated KH game, especially as time flows. Any criticism directed toward the game is generally received with hatred and flames.

Organization_42

Proud Demyx/Kairi Shipper
Awards
What poll were you looking at, MasterXehanort+? I'm just curious because, like other people in this thread, I haven't encountered a lot of hate for Chain of Memories or Re:CoM. Most people seem to love it, but if they don't, they're certainly allowed to dislike it.

When I do hear complaints about CoM, they tend to be either one of two things: 1) the gameplay, or 2) people dislike that CoM uses the same worlds as KH1. This gets especially annoying now for some KH fans after the release of Coded, and although Days also used some settings from KH2, that game didn't have any new worlds either.

And then you also tend to see people who think CoM didn't have much of a purpose to the overall story, and/or hate it simply because it's on a handheld console and doesn't have a number attached to it, making it one of those no-good filler "spinoff" games (even though that's NOT what a "spinoff" really is...).

Those are some of the complaints that I've seen. I can't speak for any CoM haters personally, because CoM is one of my favorite KH games.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
people hated having to use their heads for actual strategy with the card system is the main reason.
strategy in a kingdom hearts game? wat

but seriously, i hated CoM's card system because it felt really limited. i guess i got used to I and II's raaad button mashing lol

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
the card system was kinda bad i guess and the repetition of worlds from kh1 annoys people

but the plot was good and in terms of character and dialogue it's probably the best game

also CoM isn't as button-mashy but in terms of strategy you can win with even the most straightforward approach: stack 9's, 8's, 7's, and 0's, and a couple of cure's. Every boss is easily beat by doing this.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Because my cards getting broken bothered me more than my leg getting broken. -_-

Bobjam

Awards
Because suddenly going from Kh on Ps2 down to gba was just...too big a drop for little old adolescent me (at the time).

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
The story was good, and the gameplay was okay. The main problem was the awful, awful worlds. They were so horribly boring and monotonous that it made trudging through each one horrible, not to mention that the story was more or less reused from the first game for almost every Disney world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back