• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why do you pick being a teacher?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I'm dying to know why so many young adults choose to be a teacher. It's something I've noticed quite a bit over the past few years now. It's becoming more common these days. Not that there isn't anything wrong with being a teacher but, why not a doctor, a engineer, or something else? I know picking a job usually can do with the following of money, dreams, or simply a passion. I'm curious what your guys thoughts are on this. Of course, I'd like to know why you'd want to be a teacher in the first place. And how many of you would say, you're going to be a teacher when you're still in high school/college. xD

And if you are going to be a teacher, what kind of teacher would you be? :)

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I'm dying to know why so many young adults choose to be a teacher. It's something I've noticed quite a bit over the past few years now. It's becoming more common these days. Not that there isn't anything wrong with being a teacher but, why not a doctor, a engineer, or something else? I know picking a job usually can do with the following of money, dreams, or simply a passion. I'm curious what your guys thoughts are on this. Of course, I'd like to know why you'd want to be a teacher in the first place. And how many of you would say, you're going to be a teacher when you're still in high school/college. xD

Lots of free time while you're in university.
Many also dream of having all those free weeks when the kids are off school but forget that they'll still have to work, lol.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I've wondered this too. I mean, in art schools it's easy to tell that most of the art teachers came there because they're not good enough to do it for a living otherwise. I don't know if this works for other fields too, if you can't become a researcher, just become a teacher. I'm sure some people want to teach, and do it because that is exactly what they want, but from what I've seen "those who can't do it, teach it" seems to hold some truth too.

And this is in no way meant as offense of any kind to any teachers here because it's definitely not the case always, maybe not even most of the time. I had an amazing music teacher, and he didn't want to pursue music because he loved teaching. And that's fine, I think passing skills on to others and helping them find what they like and are good at is very valuable too.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
So, I'm currently going to school to be a music teacher. The reason why I wouldn't want to be something else is simply because I have a huge passion for music and music education is by FAR the most versatile degree you can get in the field. I can become a performer, a composer, a sound guy, an administrator, a conductor, a band master, hell, I could even work in the INDUSTRY if I wanted to just with this one degree. For me specifically, a music education degree is the most versatile degree in my field, and that means I can pursue multiple passions without multiple majors or anything like that. I also really, really love kids, and I feel like I'm really good at teaching private lessons on practically any instrument.

I'm on my fourth semester, and I'm sticking with it :) That's not to say I don't have other passions. I'd love to be a physics teacher or an astrophysicist if I could, but I don't have the space in my major to do that. I might have originally chose that over music (although music is my first love so I doubt it), but my high school physics course took forever to get interesting, and I didn't get a vested interest in the subject until long after I was already accepted to Syracuse University. My thing is astrophysics and particle physics, leptons and baryons and all that :D It's all so cool!

I'm really not doing any of this for the money. If I was doing it for the money, I would have just gotten some sort of tech degree and just engineered or fixed computers or something (or maybe I could be an accountant). I simply am in the major because I love kids and teaching and I also am really, really passionate about music! My favorite thing about music is organology, I can't WAIT until I get a class of kids and I get to play the didgeridoo for them xD (not that you were accusing me of not being passionate or doing it for the money anyways)

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
Lots of free time while you're in university.

Music Education is not a degree you'd ever choose for free time. If a Music Education major ever thinks they have free time, they're wrong. Just my experience. =P

Anyway, this topic kind of bothers me. Choosing education in a field has absolutely nothing to do with not being good enough at it. Especially in the music field, very talented individuals choose education because they realize it's a more stable platform than performing. The performance world is a not a fun one. Also... Education is flipping important and with the state of education in my country (and the way teachers are paid and perceived) people who choose to teach but don't care will not last. It is a very important job that receives so little respect.

This topic just kind of furthers that notion, to be honest. "Why not just be a doctor or an engineer", you ask. As if doctors and engineers are the only important jobs worthy of respect in the job world. We certainly need them, but... Guess what? We could not have effective doctors without effective educators.

That aside we all have strengths and weaknesses. I can't be a doctor, because I'm too squeamish. I get extremely uncomfortable in medical conversations, actually having to do it just isn't possible for me. Engineering is not my strength either. I'm not a mathematical person. Going down that path would be hell for me. It's not a fit for me.

My favorite thing about music is organology

Me, too, actually! My dream would be to teach classes about the history of woodwind and brass instruments and also show them. Alas, I know that's not really practical, so I'm going for teaching Music History in general. However, I've been personally studying the history of woodwind instruments for over a decade now. And I tend to write my essays about instruments. lol

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Well, since I did graduate as a teacher, I'll say the reasons I went to be a teacher were 1.) I wanted to help others (other careers I considered were nurse and veterinarian), and 2.) interest in the subject (English, in this case; I've always enjoyed reading, analysis, writing, rhetoric, word roots, etc.). Plus, I think the appeal of being a teacher from the outside is the false belief there's some stability there and more certainty of being able to find a job in a bad economy--which is not the case. I learned that the hard way. In retrospect, I wish I'd went to be a nurse.

I most likely would have wanted to go into animation if hand-drawn animation hadn't died off while I was in high school; I have no interest in 3D animation whatsoever.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Anyway, this topic kind of bothers me. Choosing education in a field has absolutely nothing to do with not being good enough at it.

Well, you can't really generalize like that though. Like I said, I'm sure most of the time it doesn't, but you can't say it's absolutely never the reason why someone would do it. Because I know more than one person who chose to teach art exactly because they can't make a living by just drawing, so they chose to teach the theory to others instead. I'm sure for most it's because they like teaching and prefer it that way, but unfortunately not always, some just do it because they have to. Of course those people aren't very good teachers most of the time, because instead of doing it out of passion for it, they just do it because they felt they had no other choice. Because even though you definitely can put your everything in teaching and be great at it, you can also get away pretty easily without doing much anything in certain fields and schools. I would know, I have had several teachers like that. Still do. So some see it as an easy way to make a living. You can do it well, or you can do it terribly. There are as many reasons as there are teachers.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
. Not that there isn't anything wrong with being a teacher but, why not a doctor, a engineer, or something else? I know picking a job usually can do with the following of money, dreams, or simply a passion. I'm curious what your guys thoughts are on this. Of course, I'd like to know why you'd want to be a teacher in the first place. And how many of you would say, you're going to be a teacher when you're still in high school/college. xD

Becoming a teacher has been my dream for a long time now. I had this really good history teacher back in the day, and his lectures always got me pumped and learning was really fun. I thought that I want to ignite that same burning passion for other people to what he was able to do to me.

I`ve always been kinda good at telling stories and jokes, and at it`s best history is a collection of different stories. Sure there are dates, years and the grand scheme of things you have to remember, but some small stories spice things up and make stuff interesting. If I am explaining something about the Soviet Union`s history for example, I wanna tell some goofy trivia about Stalin too. I would like my students to have fun while they are learning.

[video]https://youtu.be/M_Loqu0jo7k?t=36s[/video]

I once remember writing an answer down at the chalkboard and one of mu classmates commented that my handwriting was so horrible that he pities my potential future students. So probably a one with a very cryptic handwriting.

Okay jokes a side, I hope a fun, smart and someone who can keep order in class.

Awards
In December, I graduated with a degree in Business Education. I started my job 3 weeks ago and I am busier than I have ever been before in my entire life. There are so many things about my job that I would change if I could. Oh, and I'm making less than $20,000 a year. I could have gone into business and industry and been making more than that easily. I also don't get paid in the summer, contrary to popular belief. However, I am still expected to do summer work; I am expected to attend professional development conferences, update curriculum, align curriculum to state standards, take classes and further my education and possibly teach summer school over the summer.

Let me tell you about my schedule. I get to school at 7am everyday, I check email and voicemail right away, I get all my copies and materials prepared for the day ahead. 7:40 in the morning I have my first hour class, Accounting. I am teaching students how to complete simple accounting equations and functions at 7:40 in the morning. It's about as exciting as you think it is, for both me and the kids. 8:30 is computer applications 2, teaching kids how to use spreadsheets and databases (Excel and Access) when some of these kids have never been exposed to these before and others probably know more than I do about these programs. Then I get an hour of prep time every day. This one hour of prep time is expected to be enough for me to do all of my lesson planning, grading, parent communication, office communication, weekly meetings with my teacher mentor, budget planning, regular communication with my principal, curriculum writing and whatever else I need to do that day. Oh, also this is the one time of the day I get to go to the bathroom because it's the one time of day other than lunch I don't have kids I am responsible for. After my prep hour, I teach 8th grade digital literacy; how to type, how to search the Internet, cyber bullying prevention, etc. Then I supervise a study hall. (No, this is not prep time; I am responsible for these study hall kids and need to make sure they are working on assignments. I am also expected to provide tutoring and support on homework during this time.) Then I have lunch at 12:15, with computer applications 1 (word processing and presentation software) and career explorations finishing off my day. After the students leave, if I gave any detentions out that day (so far I have given out 7) then I am expected to stay after school and supervise the students in detention. I am also expected to get everything ready for the following day before I leave. I should have an idea as to what I am teaching the next day, make my copies, grade papers, align my lessons to standards, prepare a PowerPoint/something to present the material, create assignments to give my students to assess their knowledge, etc. The school day for students is 7:30-3:15. I get to school at 7 and I can count on one hand how many times I have left before 5:30 so far. I started on January 20.

So why did I do it? Why did I want to become a teacher? It can't be because it's an 8-3 job because it's quite frankly a 7-530 job with very few opportunities for breaks throughout the day. It can't be because of the summer because I still have work to do over the summer (work that I don't get compensated for.) It can't be because of the weekends because there has been exactly one Saturday so far since I started that I haven't gone in and gotten work done, and I am going into school tomorrow to work in my classroom as well.

I did it because I wanted to feel like I made a difference to someone. There are students in my classroom that come in to learn as much as they can. There are students in my classroom that come in to mess around. There are students that come in just to be sent out to the office right away. I won't make a difference to all of my students. I just won't. Some of them won't remember me 10 years from now, some of them are totally indifferent towards me. But in every class, there are kids who are there because they want to be the best they can be. They want to learn about business and be successful after high school. They want to learn how to use a computer and manage financial affairs correctly. There are kids that I am making a difference to, and that alone is worth it to me. I will never be rich, I will never have enough vacation time, my field will constantly evolve and update over time. I will always be busy trying to do the best I can for these kids. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh, and btw, there is actually a HUGE teacher shortage in most parts of the U.S. Not sure where you got the idea that "so many people are becoming teachers" because the reality is we are now hiring people to be teachers that aren't even qualified to be a teacher, that is how desperate schools are for teachers now. I got this job before I even graduated. I know people who don't even have a bachelors degree who were hired as teachers with work experience. Substitute teachers in our district literally need to be able to walk and breathe with no criminal history and we will hire them. Schools are DESPERATE for teachers.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I'd like to point out a couple of things. Usually it's the most common answer to hear 'I wanna be a so-so kind of teacher when I grow up/graduate high school/college' from kids to teenagers to young adults. I'm not stating people literally take the job of becoming a teacher. This is just a common answer I hear. Heck, when I was eleven, I thought I would be a English professor teaching college students. I don't remember why I thought I would be one at the time, but it's still something I hear from time to time. And that's why I wanted to ask about it because, it's interesting to know what drives someone to want to be a teacher. And it's a popular answer.

Atop of that, I'm not saying we don't need teachers to become doctors, engineers, air force pilots, and ect. We do need teachers. Good teachers in fact.

It is nice to see how passionate all of you are about becoming a teacher or being one. The op was meant with good intentions and wasn't meant to offend anyone. All of your answers thus far have been interesting because, I like seeing other peoples perspective and reasoning behind it all. Including what type of teacher you are/wanna be.

In relation to the topic you brought up, maleficentfan123, I'd like to know what you'd want done to fix the public school education system? (This is just me asking. Anyone else can hop onto this question too. :3)

Furthermore, I'm highly aware of the crisis in the US public education system because, I do live in the states. I'm more than aware about school districts having a shortage of decent teachers, considering a lot of them right now aren't doing their jobs, having affairs with students, or have criminal records being overlooked in the poorer districts right now. And I know a good amount of students do care about getting an education to become better people and make a difference.

(Hopefully this can stay a healthy discussion. xD)

Last edited:
Awards
I'd like to point out a couple of things. Usually it's the most common answer to hear 'I wanna be a so-so kind of teacher when I grow up/graduate high school/college' from kids to teenagers to young adults. I'm not stating people literally take the job of becoming a teacher. This is just a common answer I hear. Heck, when I was eleven, I thought I would be a English professor teaching college students. I don't remember why I thought I would be one at the time, but it's still something I hear from time to time. And that's why I wanted to ask about it because, it's interesting to know what drives someone to want to be a teacher. And it's a popular answer.

Atop of that, I'm not saying we don't need teachers to become doctors, engineers, air force pilots, and ect. We do need teachers. Good teachers in fact.

It is nice to see how passionate all of you are about becoming a teacher or being one. The op was meant with good intentions and wasn't meant to offend anyone. All of your answers thus far have been interesting because, I like seeing other peoples perspective and reasoning behind it all. Including what type of teacher you are/wanna be.

In relation to the topic you brought up, maleficentfan123, I'd like to know what you'd want done to fix the public school education system? (This is just me asking. Anyone else can hop onto this question too. :3)

Furthermore, I'm highly aware of the crisis in the US public education system because, I do live in the states. I'm more than aware about school districts having a shortage of decent teachers, considering a lot of them right now aren't doing their jobs, having affairs with students, or have criminal records being overlooked in the poorer districts right now. And I know a good amount of students do care about getting an education to become better people and make a difference.

I do apologize; I did not mean for my response to come across as "you hate teachers? How dare you!" But, teaching is often underappreciated and undervalued when in reality, it SHOULD be one of the most honorable professions. We are responsible for your children, for Pete's sake! A lot of passion can turn into a huge misunderstanding very quickly and I do apologize.

What can be done to fix the education system? Well, first and foremost, pay teachers more. I know this is a tough topic, but either teachers need to start getting paid more or schools need to work on contributing more financially to our classrooms. While we do get a $250 tax break, that goes quickly. There is a teacher in my school (not me) who bought and paid for 20 textbooks--each at about $150 value--out of her own personal budget. Why should teachers have to do that? I don't remember doctors being expected to pay for their medical equipment out of their personal budget.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I'm dying to know why so many young adults choose to be a teacher. It's something I've noticed quite a bit over the past few years now. It's becoming more common these days. Not that there isn't anything wrong with being a teacher, but why not a doctor, a engineer, or something else?

The careers you mentioned have completely different requirements than of a teacher. A doctor's or engineer's requirements are vastly exhausting compared to a teacher's requirements. Therefore it comes down to people's ability along with other variables.

I know picking a job usually can do with the following of money, dreams, or simply a passion. I'm curious what your guys thoughts are on this.

The difference between a good job and a great job is the difference between your interests and your passion. It's hard to work somewhere that hardly interests you. Find what you love in life, then make it your career. Even if it's a dream, with determination, hard work, and heart you can make anything possible. Don't let your dreams fade.

Of course, I'd like to know why you'd want to be a teacher in the first place. And how many of you would say, you're going to be a teacher when you're still in high school/college. xD

Not me personally, but I have friends who have done this. My friends realized they want to become one during college.

For me, probably a elementary or middle school math teacher. I'm a math orientated person.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Music Education is not a degree you'd ever choose for free time. If a Music Education major ever thinks they have free time, they're wrong. Just my experience. =P

Anyway, this topic kind of bothers me. Choosing education in a field has absolutely nothing to do with not being good enough at it. Especially in the music field, very talented individuals choose education because they realize it's a more stable platform than performing. The performance world is a not a fun one. Also... Education is flipping important and with the state of education in my country (and the way teachers are paid and perceived) people who choose to teach but don't care will not last. It is a very important job that receives so little respect.

This topic just kind of furthers that notion, to be honest. "Why not just be a doctor or an engineer", you ask. As if doctors and engineers are the only important jobs worthy of respect in the job world. We certainly need them, but... Guess what? We could not have effective doctors without effective educators.

That aside we all have strengths and weaknesses. I can't be a doctor, because I'm too squeamish. I get extremely uncomfortable in medical conversations, actually having to do it just isn't possible for me. Engineering is not my strength either. I'm not a mathematical person. Going down that path would be hell for me. It's not a fit for me.

If a Music Education major has free time, then they SHOULD be practicing. And if they're practicing, they're not practicing enough or the right way :p

Me, too, actually! My dream would be to teach classes about the history of woodwind and brass instruments and also show them. Alas, I know that's not really practical, so I'm going for teaching Music History in general. However, I've been personally studying the history of woodwind instruments for over a decade now. And I tend to write my essays about instruments. lol

OMG DID I JUST MEET SOMEONE ELSE ON THE FORUMS THAT IS INTO ORGANOLOGY?! MY LIFE IS COMPLETEEEEE

I'm a big brass guy myself, but I've been collecting instruments for about a year now :) I classify all of my instruments out of a personal excel file under the hornbostel-sachs system, I'm really into strange instruments! I'm hoping to get a hydraulophone by the time I have a house (and I just bought a flute too!) :D

What teachers really need is more pay and more respect in their respective fields. While a math or science teacher is never questioned about the qualifications needed to have a degree or whether or not their subject is even important, a music education major in a new job can be asked by other teachers if they even need a degree to get a job as a music teacher. That right there is why the American education system receives so little respect from their colleagues.

I've said this in my lectures, and I'll say it here: the world's hardest question for a Music Educator is answering why their work is necessary to the students. Sure, you can say it builds character, relationships, gives kids an outlet to be expressive, or preserves the art form throughout the generations, but politicians don't give a single diddly about us and want tangible evidence. The only tangible evidence we have is improved cognitive function and the music industry itself being a thing, and even then it doesn't stop school districts from constantly cutting programs and firing music and art teachers first. People don't give a diddly if music is your passion; they don't see passion as a necessary part of the education system, and will do anything that they can to quash your program as long as it'll help them cut corners and cut the fat off. That's why it's so hard for music educators to defend their job; it's important to them, but it's not tangible, and they can't explain why it'd be important to anyone else without simply trying to appeal to emotion. There's nothing tangible or helpful clearly behind it, therefore it must be useless under the American education system.

Also, as Maleficent said, pay teachers more! Seriously, it's hard work! They do a lot of shit and practically fund their classroom supplies out of their wallets, at least compensate them for that part!

DefiantHeart

Awards
Could be that those whom want to be teachers are just naive about the system and think it's easy compared to other jobs. Reality is, it's not, unless you're the type that doesn't consider it a passion and doesn't put their 100 percent into it. My mom's been a teacher for a long time, and took us along plenty of times to help her out... so I know ish not easy and I personally would never even consider it.

Still, I had an old classmate that said he was going into teaching, and I told him about it not being easy...but he still seemed really determined to do it, so idk.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

Funny, it seems to be different then where you live than where I do. A friend of mine chose music as a part of her degree and her life basically consists of free time.

Also I don't think most of the kids saying "I'm gonna be a teacher!" at 12 actually consider going for music. Most of them probably aren't considering anything at that point.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Funny, it seems to be different then where you live than where I do. A friend of mine chose music as a part of her degree and her life basically consists of free time.

Also I don't think most of the kids saying "I'm gonna be a teacher!" at 12 actually consider going for music. Most of them probably aren't considering anything at that point.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Music or music education? They're both veryyyy different majors :D
2. Which year is she in? Is she freshman, sophomore, junior, senior?
3. Maybe she has free time, and good for her if she does :) As for my school of music, everyone is busy all of the time. Free time is a myth where I come from :)

Also, I was that one weird 12 year old that wanted to be a music teacher xD I guess you could say I didn't get out much as a kid

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I have a couple of questions:

1. Music or music education? They're both veryyyy different majors :D
2. Which year is she in? Is she freshman, sophomore, junior, senior?
3. Maybe she has free time, and good for her if she does :) As for my school of music, everyone is busy all of the time. Free time is a myth where I come from :)

Also, I was that one weird 12 year old that wanted to be a music teacher xD I guess you could say I didn't get out much as a kid

1. I don't know actually. It's just called "Music" in Germany, I think? Don't know if it's specified.
2. Those words don't exist here, lol. I think she's in her third year now though.
3. I mean, it's not only her. Becoming a teacher in Germany is just connected to lots of free time. UNLESS you become a teenager for primary schools, because for that, you need to study comparative education as well.

I just know a lot of people who wanted to become teachers without ever having much of a reason, and most of them didn't in the end because they actually don't like kids.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
1. I don't know actually. It's just called "Music" in Germany, I think? Don't know if it's specified.
2. Those words don't exist here, lol. I think she's in her third year now though.
3. I mean, it's not only her. Becoming a teacher in Germany is just connected to lots of free time. UNLESS you become a teenager for primary schools, because for that, you need to study comparative education as well.

I just know a lot of people who wanted to become teachers without ever having much of a reason, and most of them didn't in the end because they actually don't like kids.

Ope, stupid me comparing German education to American education xD sorry about that, I wasn't even thinking about it!

I actually have a friend that was kicked out of our program last year for not liking kids, funny enough he got a job as a church organist and all he does on the weekends is teach kids church music now xD He wants to be a teacher again, sometimes it takes an experience like that for someone to realize that they could be a good educator, you know?

Muke

whatever
Awards
Here we also have "music education"/"Musikalische Erziehung", but it's really the same and it's just like Void said

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I think part of the reason might be that you already learn a lot in regular school over here. I don't know about America, but from what I've heard, you have to add much more basic stuff to your studies at university than here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back