• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why do you pick being a teacher?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Idk if this has anything to do with the conversation you guys are having, but here, most of the time, we just sing and play piano and shit so it's not even 'education' as in, idk, learning about Mozart or so ('cause who needs that whole info anyway?). We have history education (or whatever you guys call that) for that stuff so it's really just a free time job.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Idk if this has anything to do with the conversation you guys are having, but here, most of the time, we just sing and play piano and shit so it's not even 'education' as in, idk, learning about Mozart or so ('cause who needs that whole info anyway?). We have history education (or whatever you guys call that) for that stuff so it's really just a free time job.

Pretty similar here. Still have to say our music lessons were better since we later sang at school festivals and that was quite fun and relaxing for us students as well.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I think part of the reason might be that you already learn a lot in regular school over here. I don't know about America, but from what I've heard, you have to add much more basic stuff to your studies at university than here.

My music theory and ear training classes I'm taking as a 19 year old at the University are being taken by 4-6 year olds at French Conservatories. So yeah, the American education system skips some basic steps that can usually be taught to much younger kids for much better results.

Kounelli

Awards
I have a bachelor's in psychology and am getting my master's in elementary education this fall, and will begin teaching my own classroom in August. I have worked for my school district since January, 2013. First I was a teacher's aid in a primary autism classroom until October of 2015, where I moved up to working with high school students as a facilitator for encouraging post-secondary education options. I enjoy working with children. I like encouraging them to find what they like and sticking up for what they believe in. But most of all, I want to teach advocacy for children who have so little.

Where I live, a majority of our schools are Title I, meaning that the average income of our families is less than desired. Families struggle, and because of this, we have a rise in destructive behaviors, bullying, non-compliance, etc. Now, there is not one classroom that doesn't have at least one child with an Individualized Education Plan (Meaning students that require specialized education). Children are not able to compete and they are having nothing but standardized testing thrown at them whenever the chance is met.

Our education (in the US at least) is failing. Students no longer see the meaning behind learning, teachers are not considered as important, and now a majority of our classrooms are being run by long-term substitute teachers with very little experience or motivation to teach. We've invented these new cost-effective methods of teaching, things such as the Inspire Academy, which does exactly the opposite. Students are now thrown in front of a computer with no real instruction, just deadlines and checkpoints. I have had several students at the high school I'm working with come at me with concerns of feeling like robots meant to complete a task, rather than advocates of their learning. In many elementary schools now, kindergartners are in full-day classes and tested to read daily in order to meet demands of fixing illiterate student populations.

It is not until now that schools are trying to adopt individualized learning. It is not until now that people have realized there is a problem. Many are opposed to improving learning because statistics are more important. The Inspire Academy is still at the HS I work at because the principal just got "school of the year" awarded to her because the graduation rates are higher. In reality, we've just eliminated the F's system, and still give passing scores to students who did not earn them. Even so, kids are crying, kids are hating school, and not one of them is motivated to go to college because they think it's going to be more of the same.

I am fighting for the importance of social-emotional learning in classrooms. I am fighting for the validation of students everywhere that feels stressed over BS that does not include them. I am fighting for there to be more passionate teachers that want the best for their students, not their statistics. I am currently working with teachers that consistently complain about "that one kid" and wish for Fridays to be here sooner. I am going to be a teacher because I feel I can change something. Education is important, and so many are denied that opportunity because of faults in the education system. I feel that education is something to be done WITH students, and I do not feel that many of my co-workers have the same sentiments.

I worked with a motivational speaker for about a year and under his tutelage I learned something. I asked him why he was so intent on training others when he already had the ability to motivate so many. He told me this, "My goal right now is to help people, help people. I am only one person, and can only reach so many. But if I can create a circle of people helping people, then maybe the world can be better. Then we can teach our children to be better."

I keep that with me when I work with a student. Last year, I had this kid in my office that was so lost in life. He had no clue what to do what to care for. He didn't even know the name of his teachers and we were in the second semester. I took him in, helped him with his homework, brought him to field trips, encouraged him to do his best every day. Our office paid for his summer school so he could catch up on his credits. He is a junior now, going to be a senior in August. He has not missed one day of school since the year started, got all A's and B's, joined a club to help others, and is now on track to graduate. All it took was for one person to show him a little validation. To listen.

Yeah I can be a researcher, a scientist, a doctor. I can help many people because I have the grades and capability of being one of those professions. I chose to be a teacher however, because we are the window that allows students to peek into their future. I can be one doctor, or I can encourage thousands to become doctors. I can be one engineer, or I can encourage thousands to be engineers. I am one me, but I have the capability of showing many what they can do and become. That is a teacher's place in this world. A gateway for others to see thousands of possibilities and know they can be anything they put their mind to, because I will be there to show them it's possible.

CUE DISNEY MOVIE CREDITS lol
Sorry I get a little passionate about this xD
Hope this shows you a different perspective however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back