• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why do you love Kingdom Hearts? (a request from a fan)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Its official. Kingdom Hearts III is only a month and a half anyway. It almost feels unreal. A game that most people never thought would actually happen is going to be in our hands VERY soon. And there's a part that I can't exactly get over that because KH3 was nothing but a dream that 13 year old me had while playing KH2 for the first time, knowing I'd probably have to wait years for the game.

It's really silly to say because I know this series has its ups and downs. In fact, a lot of series content on social media lately has been nothing but criticizing the series. Which, of course, is completely fine. This franchise does a lot of things wrong when it comes to narrative but it also gets a lot of things right... I mean, it does... right? Otherwise the third installment wouldn't be as anticipated as it is and we wouldn't be on forums or spend hours and hours on a somewhat pointless mobile game grinding for medals if this series didn't do something right to keep us so invested a game that might as well be promotion for Disney movies most people have already seen.

And that's what I'm going to tackle soon. Starting this week, I'm going to start writing a YouTube video titled "Why do people love Kingdom Hearts" and it's going to tackle everything. From the series creation, Noruma, the FFv13 situation, the spin-offs, the highs and lows of the series in between; pretty much everything. It'll be released the day KH3 comes out and it'll most likely be an hour long (hopefully) and that's, of course where you guys come in.

I've been on this forum for a while but I don't usually interact that much for various reasons; one of them being that I have terrible social anxiety (yes, even on the internet). But honestly, I love browsing the forums. Because no one in my town besides me and my little sister appreciate and love Kingdon Hearts and it's great to see people discuss the series with passion even when things get heated. So, I want you guys to be apart of the video. Meaning that, if you want too, you can post on here your clear and overall thoughts on the series and what it means to you on a personal level. And I will read them out loud at the end of the video, something that'll be apart of the narrative of the video. Obviously I would have to pick and choose which ones go up and which ones don't for length but I welcome any voices. And you won't have to worry about identities being revealed since.. yeah, everyone already has a unique username anyways.

Honestly, I'm not a Youtuber but I have made videos in the past. It's been a long time but Kingdom Hearts, as an artist and as human being, truly does mean a lot to me. Which, again, is very silly to say but it's the truth. This stupid series and its main lesson got me through the worst of times and truthfully, I don't know what kind of person I'd be without its influence on me at an artist and my values. So, I want to do this. A celebration video about the highs and lows of the series and its future.

And I want anyone who is willing to be apart of this, even if it is just a small part.

Last edited:

Aurora Lark

Awards
Hi I totally relate to your post and I think it’s wonderful that the seiries has helped you so much and your showing your appreciation by making this video I sure hope you find that rewarding and get more confident (I don’t know if that’s a challenge?) with your social anxiety you seem very creative. Good luck and I can’t wait to see the video!

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
I think Kingdom Hearts is special because for so many of us, it took an element of our childhoods and really ran with it to new and special heights. It started as something so simple, but very quickly endeared us with its charm. The message is just so positive. It's a game that flat out tells us we don't have to be special to do great things. It lets us know that every one of us can come close to giving up at times when sadness and dark thoughts get the better of us, but even in hard times like that, there's always something or someone out there that can help us. All we have to do is be willing to look for it. Find your light, and never be afraid to rely on it when you need help.

That sort of message can really resonate. I know it has always brought me some comfort now and again.

Like many others, I also have a lot of personal attachment to the series because of memories it has brought me over the years. I started the series soon after my 12th birthday. I instantly got attached to it, and it sort of became my "thing", I guess. Now, my whole life me and my dad never really saw eye to eye on a lot of things. I can get pretty sensitive and he was very much all about logic and rationality. I remember one day getting scolded because I started crying when I found out he threw out an old favorite toy of mine because it was "cluttering the room". It just made me feel like he never understood me too well.

Whenever I played KH, I noticed my dad would pop in and out and watch me. He never really said anything, and I have no idea how well he actually understood the story, but he would just sorta sit there in his chair and silently observe. This continued for a while until one day he just straight up asked me "is this how you see things?" and I gave him a confused nod back. The next day he randomly knocked on my bedroom door and was like "hey, got this for you" and tossed the soundtrack from the game at me. I was stunned, and it felt kind of like that was the first major connection the two of us were able to make together. We still didn't see eye-to-eye on a lot, and we still got into lots of fights, but we definitely started communicating a little better because I think he started to open up a bit to how I thought.

I definitely thank KH for that, and I have a lot of fond memories of my dad trying to get me things with my favorite character on them, some of which were hilariously bad bootlegs, but that was really fun in itself.

I was so looking forward to sharing KH3 with my dad as well, but I'll never get the chance. He unfortunately passed a few years ago. Even still, the memories remain, and just like the game has told us: it isn't how often we see each other, what is truly important is how often we think of each other. That is the strength that keeps us bound together though time, even when one of us is no longer there. And that is why this series will always be so precious not only to me, but to all the others who have similar stories to share.

The world can always use more love and positivity, friendship and hope.

I wish you the best of luck on your project!

TheProfessional

Its official. Kingdom Hearts III is only a month and a half anyway. It almost feels unreal. A game that most people never thought would actually happen is going to be in our hands VERY soon. And there's a part that I can't exactly get over that because KH3 was nothing but a dream that 13 year old me had while playing KH2 for the first time, knowing I'd probably have to wait years for the game.

It's really silly to say because I know this series has its ups and downs. In fact, a lot of series content on social media lately has been nothing but criticizing the series. Which, of course, is completely fine. This franchise does a lot of things wrong when it comes to narrative but it also gets a lot of things right... I mean, it does... right? Otherwise the third installment wouldn't be as anticipated as it is and we wouldn't be on forums or spend hours and hours on a somewhat pointless mobile game grinding for medals if this series didn't do something right to keep us so invested a game that might as well be promotion for Disney movies most people have already seen.

And that's what I'm going to tackle soon. Starting this week, I'm going to start writing a YouTube video titled "Why do people love Kingdom Hearts" and it's going to tackle everything. From the series creation, Noruma, the FFv13 situation, the spin-offs, the highs and lows of the series in between; pretty much everything. It'll be released the day KH3 comes out and it'll most likely be an hour long (hopefully) and that's, of course where you guys come in.

I've been on this forum for a while but I don't usually interact that much for various reasons; one of them being that I have terrible social anxiety (yes, even on the internet). But honestly, I love browsing the forums. Because no one in my town besides me and my little sister appreciate and love Kingdon Hearts and it's great to see people discuss the series with passion even when things get heated. So, I want you guys to be apart of the video. Meaning that, if you want too, you can post on here your clear and overall thoughts on the series and what it means to you on a personal level. And I will read them out loud at the end of the video, something that'll be apart of the narrative of the video. Obviously I would have to pick and choose which ones go up and which ones don't for length but I welcome any voices. And you won't have to worry about identities being revealed since.. yeah, everyone already has a unique username anyways.

Honestly, I'm not a Youtuber but I have made videos in the past. It's been a long time but Kingdom Hearts, as an artist and as human being, truly does mean a lot to me. Which, again, is very silly to say but it's the truth. This stupid series and its main lesson got me through the worst of times and truthfully, I don't know what kind of person I'd be without its influence on me at an artist and my values. So, I want to do this. A celebration video about the highs and lows of the series and its future.

And I want anyone who is willing to be apart of this, even if it is just a small part.

Neat idea and all, but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpxaAg6JN8

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
This is the first series of games I was passionate about. From the nostalgic, rhythmic pulsing of the Destiny Islands music to the cheesy, heartwarming story of friendship, the series has always meant a lot to me. Kingdom Hearts III seems to be taking a lot of risks, and I'm all here for them. The series only got a facelift in 0.2 Birth by Sleep, so the prospect of III being an updated Kingdom Hearts title that's much bigger than titles before excites me to no end. I love this series and can't wait for the conclusion of the saga.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
because it's earnest despite its unending stupidity, making it both reliable and extremely entertaining.

Shogo-Kun

Awards
because it's earnest despite its unending stupidity, making it both reliable and extremely entertaining.

Same here. I'd rather KINGDOM HEARTS embrace it's silliness rather than try to be something that its it's not, ala Sword Art Online.

Foxycian

Awards
because not was it only my childhood but it also teached me a lesson which is... embrace the darkness!!! jk lol it taught me a lesson in life that's pretty much it tbh it's a long story but i'll just leave it at that

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I think Kingdom Hearts is special because for so many of us, it took an element of our childhoods and really ran with it to new and special heights. It started as something so simple, but very quickly endeared us with its charm. The message is just so positive. It's a game that flat out tells us we don't have to be special to do great things. It lets us know that every one of us can come close to giving up at times when sadness and dark thoughts get the better of us, but even in hard times like that, there's always something or someone out there that can help us. All we have to do is be willing to look for it. Find your light, and never be afraid to rely on it when you need help.

That sort of message can really resonate. I know it has always brought me some comfort now and again.

Like many others, I also have a lot of personal attachment to the series because of memories it has brought me over the years. I started the series soon after my 12th birthday. I instantly got attached to it, and it sort of became my "thing", I guess. Now, my whole life me and my dad never really saw eye to eye on a lot of things. I can get pretty sensitive and he was very much all about logic and rationality. I remember one day getting scolded because I started crying when I found out he threw out an old favorite toy of mine because it was "cluttering the room". It just made me feel like he never understood me too well.

Whenever I played KH, I noticed my dad would pop in and out and watch me. He never really said anything, and I have no idea how well he actually understood the story, but he would just sorta sit there in his chair and silently observe. This continued for a while until one day he just straight up asked me "is this how you see things?" and I gave him a confused nod back. The next day he randomly knocked on my bedroom door and was like "hey, got this for you" and tossed the soundtrack from the game at me. I was stunned, and it felt kind of like that was the first major connection the two of us were able to make together. We still didn't see eye-to-eye on a lot, and we still got into lots of fights, but we definitely started communicating a little better because I think he started to open up a bit to how I thought.

I definitely thank KH for that, and I have a lot of fond memories of my dad trying to get me things with my favorite character on them, some of which were hilariously bad bootlegs, but that was really fun in itself.

I was so looking forward to sharing KH3 with my dad as well, but I'll never get the chance. He unfortunately passed a few years ago. Even still, the memories remain, and just like the game has told us: it isn't how often we see each other, what is truly important is how often we think of each other. That is the strength that keeps us bound together though time, even when one of us is no longer there. And that is why this series will always be so precious not only to me, but to all the others who have similar stories to share.

The world can always use more love and positivity, friendship and hope.

I wish you the best of luck on your project!

That was a beautiful story. I'm glad you had the courage to share that and it's a story I can heavily relate too. Thank you and I'm definatelt including this in the video, with your permission of course.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Seems like a cool idea.

I've been a fan since the beginning and I found out about this game through a Playstation Magazine. Two things caught my attention:

- Disney + Squaresoft combo.
I found the idea of seeing all Disney characters in a game with original Kingdom Hearts characters and Final Fantasy character really interesting and original.

- Gameplay
One of the main reasons why I never cared about Final Fantasy until recently it's because of the turn-based gameplay. It's not my cup of tea. I like to have freedom and not feel restricted during battles, so when I realized the battles would be in real time that was a big plus for me.

After getting the first game, I got addicted. KH1 is still has the best story to me. Not only everything was new, but I also love how the Disney Villains conspired with each other at Hollow Bastion and not everything revolved around Xehanort and the Keyblade War.

There's a funny thing here. Videogames usually weren't dubbed or subtitled in portuguese back then (nowadays it's a little different, but not much), so since I was kid I've been playing video games in english and for more complex games like Kingdom Hearts, I actually would play with a dictionary next to me in order to try to understand everything. And even so most of the times I would just go with the flow.

My most frustrating memory is easily the battle against Riku/Ansem. I lost that battle and I was forced to watch the cutscene prior to it so many times that I didn't need a dictionary anymore for that part.

Anyway, I can't say it was part of my childhood because I was already a teenager when the first game came out, but it's the most important videogame franchise to me and I plan to be with it until the very end.

PARACOSMIC-M

My imaginary magic fishpond in the back yard
Same to everything you said in the OP. It took me a long time to engage on here too, I also have anxiety. But yeah, even though I know KH is far from perfect, it's "my thing." I love it, and I'm learning that it's okay to love something even if it's not perfect.

My story with KH:
When I was two years old, I became terribly sick to the point of nearly dying. I couldn't talk (which I normally could do fluently even at that age), my kidneys tried to shut down, I couldn't eat... it was terrible. I ended up in the hospital for months. As you might imagine, my parents were under a lot of stress, and also going stir-crazy from being cooped up in my hospital room. To pass the time, my dad (a huge final fantasy fan) bought the newly released KH2 as a way to compromise between my Disney obsession, and his love of anime. Obviously, it was a big hit. It gave me a way to escape. At a time when I had none, Sora was my best friend. When all I felt was sadness and pain, KH was my happiness, my light.
My love of KH continued into my pre teen years, and because of it I met my best friend. We'd been going to school together for a while, but even though I thought she was gorgeous and cool and that I pretty much wanted to marry her, I just never had a chance to talk to her. Somehow I ended up hanging with her and her best friend (who hated me) and like, doing seances or something? Idk we were really creepy kids. Anyway, at some point I mentioned KH and she told me she liked it too. At the end the day, I meekly said "I think we have a l-lot in common, you know? We should hang out like this more..."
Six years and two terrible attempts at (KH inspired) comics later, here we are! Still fangirling over Riku's beautiful eyes and crying over how old we and the characters are now. She's introduced me to a lot of new people too, and I wouldn't trade my friends for anything. So whenever I feel lonely, sad, or especially if I'm sick, I just play some KH and thank destiny I've got my great friends. Something I wouldn't have without Sora, who has surprisingly proven himself to be ultimate wingman.

So yeah, that's my life. I could say a lot more, but I got an English assignment due tomorrow so I really need to get off the forums. Love and Peace, peeps!

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
So? Its YouTube. Everyone does the same kinds of videos. I'm not surprised someone has the same idea. I expected that. But I still plan on doing it regardless. Its not a competition. The more videos celebrating Kingdom Hearts, the better I'd say :)

Sorry this dude wanted to be a butthole. I'll be your KH friend! I know the same feeling, no one here is really as big into KH as I am. So to answer your question:

I first read about Kingdom Hearts in various commercials and magazine ads. I was always a fan of Playstation games, Square games, and Disney so I knew I wanted to try it out. When the first game came out, my brother's girlfriend came over with her PS2 and her copy of Kingdom Hearts. I got to play a little bit of the opening and I was thrilled. I didn't get too far and couldn't save it, but I knew I wanted it. My birthday came and my parents bought me a used PS2, a memory card, and two games: Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts. As soon as I got home the first thing I did was play Kingdom Hearts and I was ecstatic. I have similar memories of almost every game in the series. The feeling I get when playing this collaboration repeats itself even after I've played them through 1000 times.

Chain of Memories came out 2 years later and I got it, the strategy guide, and Jak 3 for Christmas that year. Played it non stop and got to carry it with me on my walk to and from school. A handheld KH game! I didn't mind the card system, I've been a fan of card games since Pokemon first hit the US!

KH 2 was one of my favorites. I used to print out promotional material to put in my binders at school and rip out magazine ads to catalogue. I would watch this music video of the Deep Dive extended cutscene set to Feiur Frei by Rammstein and the KH2 ads/trailers we got and the release date was constantly up in the air. One day, I was hanging out at my friends house and I got a text from another friend saying that Gamestop was giving out copies of KH2 early. I had my mom call up and verify and when she sent me the confirmation text my friend I was hanging with drove me (an hour away) to pick up my copy and we played all night.

I didn't play 358/2 or Re:Coded on time, but I did get Re:CoM. I had a friend who was obsessed with Runescape but he didn't like doing all the grinding, so I did work for him online for him to buy me the game. Took me up there, we picked it up and I played it non-stop to 100%!

BBS I got with my wife (girlfriend at at the time) on launch. We got her a PSP and a copy of BBS and that was a fun time.

As technology got better it got easier to access the videos online and get more information about these games and it was exciting to find out!

When 3D was coming I worked at Amazon and my daughter was about to be born. I remember getting paid that day, grabbing a 3ds (the small ones) and a copy of 3D and playing on my breaks. I was jealous when I packed the Mark of Mastery editions (I packed a lot of cool gaming paraphernalia and a lot of sex toys) but still loved my regular copy.

I won't really say anything about 1.5, 2.5 (got the CE), 2.8, 1.5+2.5 but I will say I bought them all and played through every game on the list several times! It was actually 3D that encouraged me to buy another copy of 358/2 and to play through it and Re:Coded. I really enjoy Re:Coded but 358/2 was kind of a miss.

Now 3 is on the way and I'm just so ready to finally be able to conclude this epic saga they've been building up all these years and will be just as ready and excited when they start working on either KH 4 or a new side game (hopefully something involving some of the other wielders post KH3. I really don't want anything pre KH3 because I have heard enough variations of Simple and Clean lol) and have instilled this same level of excitement and joy in my own children! Also, I named my son Axel Lea after one of my favorite characters.

Looking forward to having more awesome KH discussions with you and happy you take the time to read my history with KH.

Neo_

Awards
I do like Square and Final Fantasy, but I am here because of Disney (a complete and utter rarity on this forum by my understanding).

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Sorry this dude wanted to be a butthole. I'll be your KH friend! I know the same feeling, no one here is really as big into KH as I am. So to answer your question:

I first read about Kingdom Hearts in various commercials and magazine ads. I was always a fan of Playstation games, Square games, and Disney so I knew I wanted to try it out. When the first game came out, my brother's girlfriend came over with her PS2 and her copy of Kingdom Hearts. I got to play a little bit of the opening and I was thrilled. I didn't get too far and couldn't save it, but I knew I wanted it. My birthday came and my parents bought me a used PS2, a memory card, and two games: Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts. As soon as I got home the first thing I did was play Kingdom Hearts and I was ecstatic. I have similar memories of almost every game in the series. The feeling I get when playing this collaboration repeats itself even after I've played them through 1000 times.

Chain of Memories came out 2 years later and I got it, the strategy guide, and Jak 3 for Christmas that year. Played it non stop and got to carry it with me on my walk to and from school. A handheld KH game! I didn't mind the card system, I've been a fan of card games since Pokemon first hit the US!

KH 2 was one of my favorites. I used to print out promotional material to put in my binders at school and rip out magazine ads to catalogue. I would watch this music video of the Deep Dive extended cutscene set to Feiur Frei by Rammstein and the KH2 ads/trailers we got and the release date was constantly up in the air. One day, I was hanging out at my friends house and I got a text from another friend saying that Gamestop was giving out copies of KH2 early. I had my mom call up and verify and when she sent me the confirmation text my friend I was hanging with drove me (an hour away) to pick up my copy and we played all night.

I didn't play 358/2 or Re:Coded on time, but I did get Re:CoM. I had a friend who was obsessed with Runescape but he didn't like doing all the grinding, so I did work for him online for him to buy me the game. Took me up there, we picked it up and I played it non-stop to 100%!

BBS I got with my wife (girlfriend at at the time) on launch. We got her a PSP and a copy of BBS and that was a fun time.

As technology got better it got easier to access the videos online and get more information about these games and it was exciting to find out!

When 3D was coming I worked at Amazon and my daughter was about to be born. I remember getting paid that day, grabbing a 3ds (the small ones) and a copy of 3D and playing on my breaks. I was jealous when I packed the Mark of Mastery editions (I packed a lot of cool gaming paraphernalia and a lot of sex toys) but still loved my regular copy.

I won't really say anything about 1.5, 2.5 (got the CE), 2.8, 1.5+2.5 but I will say I bought them all and played through every game on the list several times! It was actually 3D that encouraged me to buy another copy of 358/2 and to play through it and Re:Coded. I really enjoy Re:Coded but 358/2 was kind of a miss.

Now 3 is on the way and I'm just so ready to finally be able to conclude this epic saga they've been building up all these years and will be just as ready and excited when they start working on either KH 4 or a new side game (hopefully something involving some of the other wielders post KH3. I really don't want anything pre KH3 because I have heard enough variations of Simple and Clean lol) and have instilled this same level of excitement and joy in my own children! Also, I named my son Axel Lea after one of my favorite characters.

Looking forward to having more awesome KH discussions with you and happy you take the time to read my history with KH.

Awesome story. Cant wait to share it. And yes, I need more Kingdom Heatts friends like you xD

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Why do I love Kingdom Hearts? The gameplay is great most of the time, but that's not why. I don't think the story is well written and it's just being made up as it goes along. The Disney aspects are either really amazing and fun, or just kinda filler.

Many factors play into why I love Kingdom Hearts, but there is one thing that I love about it. One thing that always brings me back to all the games I've played no matter how mediocre some are. The characters! I love these characters. Sora, Riku, Kairi, Namine, Roxas, Xion, Axel, Aqua, Terra, Ventus, Donald Goofy, Mickey, all the Organization XIII characters and original characters. It's just a treat to see them interact be it friendship or through politics, or positions, or uneasy alliances. I have grown heavily attached to these guys. That's why I don't complain when Final Fantasy characters aren't being shown in KHIII trailers. I'm playing for Sora and his crew. Seeing a character like Namine in a KHIII trailer would hype me up way more then seeing Noctis or Lightning in a KHIII trailer.

Everything else comes secondary for me, even gameplay. Example when I play 358/2 Days I know I'm getting mediocre gameplay with bad DS graphics. I don't care. I play this game multiple times to play as Roxas and to see his friendship with Axel and Xion. Also to see the backstage politics of Organization XIII. I've played this game and it's sloppy gameplay numerous times and always have fun. Heck I always roleplay the characters voices with every textbox. I do a pretty good Demyx and Xaldin XD

Every time I play Kingdom Hearts 1, I know I'm getting a amazing game with great gameplay, soundtrack, boss fights, and Disney Magic. That's all wonderful and I love those aspects, but I also know I'm getting the starting stories of Sora, Riku, Kairi, Donald, and Goofy. And that motivates me the most. Even now I still pretend to act shocked when I see Riku with Maleficent, or Kairi's lifeless body on Hook's ship, or when Sora loses the Keyblade. Why? Because it's fun and I love revisiting these characters and their arcs.

No matter how out there the story gets, I'm never bothered by it because the characters are so lovable for me. I still root for Roxas to somehow defeat Riku at The World That never Was. I know he's going to lose, I know it's for the greater good to get Sora back, I know Riku's not really a bad guy and he doesn't want to do this. But my emotions always take over and I want Roxas to win and save his girl. Even though I know he can't, it never stops me from yelling to Roxas to overcome Riku-Ansem. I know Aqua is ultimately going to get sealed in purgatory after fighting Terranort, but I still root for her to somehow give the middle finger to the plot and save herself, because I grew to love her. I want to see her Knock Xehanort out of Terra and together they go wake up ole sleepyhead Ventus.

Half these characters don't even need to exist. I look at characters like Vanitas, Xion, and even Ventus and I don't necessarily think they needed to exist. However I grew to love them so much I can't imagine this series without them and all their weirdness.

I love the games cheesy message of friendship being able to beat anything. It allows me to escape the harshness of reality and enter a world where being friends allows you to overcome anything. It's corny and cheesy but I live for mushy crap like this, which is why these characters have had such a impact on me. I don't care that this story is badly told, The characters more then make up for it.

So that's why I love Kingdom Hearts and will continue to love it. I want to see the 13 characters on that boxart get a happy ending. I want to see them all expand their friendships and instead of sets of trios they become one large group of friends/family by the end of KHIII. This is my favorite video game series and I love it deeply.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I love Kingdom Hearts for some pretty dumb mushy reasons. I won't say I was without friends because I always had friends growing up, but I never really had a best friend that stayed my best friend for a long time. I would jump between circles or make my own, but I never clicked with any group of people. I'm reserved, quiet, and have a sarcastic and dry way of delivering humor. Now imagine that but as a child and you get a borderline lone wolf.

It wasn't until I was in 8th grade that I finally met one of my best friends, and 9th grade when I met the rest of my best friends. They all knew I liked KH and they liked it too (of course to varying degrees), and we all bonded over it. I wouldn't say I was as knowledgable or obsessed back then like I am now, but people knew it was one of my things. I had other things I enjoyed, of course, but I think the more I engaged with the series, the more it became a part of my identity as I got older.

I made some online friends and we would chat on MSN Messenger and AOL Messages about the series and other stuff. Had some drama with them and dropped out of contact with most of them. I feel so bad because I can't even remember their online usernames because its been so long...(I feel bad because maybe they remember me ;A; )

I don't think the series really became a major thing to me until my freshman/sophomore year of college, though. I wasn't really enjoying college. I didn't click with any groups again and I thought I was past that after finding my groove with people in high school. I tried joining clubs but I didn't click with the BSU, I wasn't an animation major so animation students snubbed people who weren't, I tried joining a sorority but I was too poor for it, and the school I went to didn't have any sports clubs for softball so that was out.

Then finances started getting spotty and my uncle passed away. As you can imagine, I was not in a great place. I had my first bout of major depression and my best friends were so far away so I couldn't reach out to them for comfort, so all I really had to comfort me was going on KHInsider. When BBS came out, I had my mom pick me up from the dorms the weekend before so I could pick up my PSP bundle from GameStop the morning it came out. During the drive back to campus, I played the game and it was the first time I had felt joy in a long time.

I think that was really when I grew a deep attachment to the series. I knew a lot about it at that point, and I had started making some friends on this site. I already loved the series, but in my depression I latched onto it like a lifeline. I could understand the sorrow all of these characters were feeling because I was so depressed myself. I wanted nothing more but to see them have a happy ending.

Then I had to drop out of my university for a bit. While I spent my time at community college taking a million classes, I decided to join KHI's staff and the rest is history. If it hadn't been for Kingdom Hearts I would have never been able to meet Sign, Chaser, Zephyr, Dandelion, Taochan, Relix, Gexus, and a few others and become friends with them. And I certainly wouldn't have been able to meet most of them in real life and have some truly fun times with them.

Oh, there are other reasons why I love this series but I really love it because of the friends I've made along the way. Kingdom Hearts grounded me and helped me work through my grief. I'm grateful for Kingdom Hearts and I don't think there will ever be another series I ever consider as important to me than it.

Last edited:
Awards
My story is kind of lame in comparison but I can share a little something too.

I was never really able to buy new games, new systems, new anything. As a result, it was hit and miss if the games I had actually worked the whole way through or if my game systems lives up to the stress of having the heck played out of them. I had that happen with FFIX freezing right before final boss, so I have never seen the ending, plus occasional compatibility issues with ps1 games.

I saved up my money from allowances and bought a used ps2 and 4 used ps2 gsmes, one of which was kh1. To this day, I still haven't beaten the other 3 games. Kingdom Hearts 1 made me decide I didn't want to risk used anymore if it meant I couldn't play this series.

And when KH2 came out, I did buy it used, and unfortunately with it I played my poor ps2 to death, and its replacement, a ps2 slim, wouldn't play some of my ps1 games so I had to make that sacrifice for kh2.

Finally, 18 years later, with a job, I now own my very first brand new game system, a PS4. And due to my determination to be able to afford nice things after so long of having to make do, it's a great feeling.

Kingdom Hearts gave me a goal to strive towards, and now I can buy KH3 with no worries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back