• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why Do You Debate about Religion?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dant?s de Divinity

Bronze Member
On a hill in a white dress waiting for my dearest
I've changed the reason why I debate Religion.

I put up new knowledge about everything related to the topic and argue for both sides.

Honestly I could care less which side wins. I have taken a view on life that views all of humanity as unintelligent meat sacks that can't look past unexplainable events in the past and solve the problems of their day and age.

I change my loyalty frequently to the side of the debate which can better humanity without the use of senseless violence better. More often then not I find myself siding with Religion. It serves a better purpose to humanity by providing a constant saying of peace on earth and a set of moral guide lines that give humanity a safety rope on sanity.

Science may give more luxuries in life but before machines and health care humanity was just as happy as it is now. Life expectance was shorter yes but still it had enough enjoyment in it as it could at that time.

Also it helps that they also say you will also live forever in a utopia. It’s more preferred then rotting in the ground.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Science may give more luxuries in life but before machines and health care humanity was just as happy as it is now. Life expectance was shorter yes but still it had enough enjoyment in it as it could at that time.

Try to live in the Middle Ages. Ignorance spawning people getting burned in the stake was to die for.

Phoenix was picked on by christian extremist spawn in middle school. :c

:'(

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
You do realize that I'm not blaming Christianity, right? The stake comment was meant to show that the "enjoyment of life" was a tad different back then.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I debate because, with as many different religions as there are in the world, there is no way in hell that only one of them can possibly be the absolute truth.

Granted, I don't post in the debate sections very often, mostly due to someone else having already said what I was thinking and put it in much better terms than I could ever dream of or I'm just not knowledgeable enough on the subject to comment, but I still enjoy reading what people think. Like others said, it is refreshing and makes me think about things others would just blindly follow without question.

O

Oberon

Well, it's interesting to other people's reactions, and to see how much they know. Plus I like to learn something new, so if I am stumped usually I'm overjoyed, as I've found something else to look into.

But sometimes I'm just bored, tired, or sometimes both, and I need to get some entertainment. Debates usually solve that, which I do with friends.

A

Azrael

As I looked throughout the forum, I found many intelligence and open minded people. The reason I made this thread is to found out why do out guys debate about Religion. Do you find it fun to challenge yourself or do you want people to see your way of thinking. Everyone has their own reasons to why they debate about religion are any other types of debates. When I hear other reasons, I will post mine.

I pretty much do it to attempt to destroy my family's faith in God for "funsies" and making them all Athiests or at least non-Christians

That and learning about other faiths.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
My earliest "contributions" to religious discussion tended to be long-winded, self-righteous posts disclaiming any value to religious debate between fundamentally different paradigms. I'm fuzzy as to precisely when I made the transition from 'protester of' to 'full-time participant in' these disclaimed religious debates, though I at least remained long-winded and self-righteous about it throughout.

Honestly, more than any sincere wish to discuss the nature of the sacred and profane, religious debate simply was the outlet for most intelligent discourse when I entered the forums. It didn't have its own section, and so its threads tended to dominate Intel Discussion. There were some excellent minds involved in it, and as they have left others have come in to occupy new places. Most actually do wear down and abondon the debates within a relatively short while--Phoenix is unique in deriving an inexplicable pleasure from it all his own these past 5 years; apparently it has something to do with monkeys in his head or a troubled childhood, quite conceivably both.

I suppose we who have participated must acknowledge some value in these discussions, even if only to harden and more sharply define the differences between us and our many thoughts; this is, after all, a form of self-knowledge. But when we begin to familiarize with our others, and learn how they interact with this same world we interact with, we do gain insight into matters beyond ourselves. And in those unlikely cases where fundamentally different paradigms can be bridged and realities may be aligned or even switched... there an understanding is realized that is rare outside of religion.

Last edited:

very differentiable
Awards
I don't debate religion as it's a waste of time and people are just too stubborn, but i do look around here once in a while. I mainly discuss in the other section, often about science as that really can change the view of others.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
You do realize that I'm not blaming Christianity, right? The stake comment was meant to show that the "enjoyment of life" was a tad different back then.

Blame people.

They turned something that should have been beautiful into an excuse to murder and rape humanity. =D

Calling it the "Dark Ages" is taboo in the field of history, a Historian would crucify you for it, but it was undeniably "dark".

Silent Killer

debatin religions..for me make people listen to what your religion is about or any other one so they are forced to then listen . it will never force them to accepr it but they will atleast know the truth and they can decide if they still refuse to tolerate it or not

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Well, as I said before, I do like to talk about my own beliefs so others may come to an understanding of what I believe (if they actually listen). Also I like to learn what is truly in other people's hearts, what they believe and why.

I like discussions. I do not like to debate. However, I know I have been caught up in some debates here and there.

Usually when that happens, it is because someone has falesly charged something about my beliefs or demand that I do believe one way. Or they may just have what I feel to be a misconception of what is in the Bible. In turn I must defend what I believe and what is in the Bible.

1 Peter 3:15 - But sanctify the Christ as Lord in YOUR hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone that demands of YOU a reason for the hope in YOU, but doing so together with a mild temper and deep respect.

I always try to be respectful of others and I also ask for (though it is generally not recieved) respect back when those type of discussions that turn into debates come up.

Also, for those who are genuinely interested in what I have to say, I discuss and tell them what I believe. Many people have PMed me or repped me for what I have to say, and for that I am glad others can benefit from my words. I hope that all can benefit from everyone's words. Learning from one another in one way or another. An interchange of knowledge if you will.

2 Timothy 2: 24, 25 - But a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, qualified to teach, keeping himself restrained under evil, instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed; as perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth

Last edited:

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Quoting scripture is worse than quoting a contested, non-sourced wikipedia article.

Maybe you along with others might think so. That is fine if thats what you believe.

I don't feel that way obviously. And what would be the problem with the scriptures I said there? :/

Alaude Drenxta

Like I've said before. The Bible was a beautiful work of art, but that is what it comes down to. In society, you can not quote or referrence the Bible like a textbook and think it will have any impact, it would be the same as me quoting Harry Potter and feeding it to you as Gospel.

I wasn't saying you were doing that, I should have been more clear, but it just brought the thought to mind and I sort of spit it out.

square-enix

Pederast
Website
www.newsvine.com
I like discussions. I do not like to debate. However, I know I have been caught up in some debates here and there.

Usually when that happens, it is because someone has falesly charged something about my beliefs or demand that I do believe one way. Or they may just have what I feel to be a misconception of what is in the Bible. In turn I must defend what I believe and what is in the Bible.
As you've posted it, you cannot like discussions and hate debates at the same time. The definitions are too similar for the situation to ever be true. The same applies for the word "conversation", "discourse", or any other synonyms.
To more accurately portray your view, you'd have to specify what you like about discussions; in this case, I believe your view on the matter would be portrayed best by

"I like discussions when people agree with my views, but not when my views are opposed. "

Of course, the above is supported by
Also, for those who are genuinely interested in what I have to say, I discuss and tell them what I believe. Many people have PMed me or repped me for what I have to say, and for that I am glad others can benefit from my words.
The above supports the fact that you like it when people agree with you in discussions. The latter (you get easily offended) is supported with posts such as this where you'll say threads need to be closed just because you don't agree with what's being posted.
Another example would be when you posted "Watchtower Society v. Village of Stratton" to "prove" that Atheist prosecute Jehovah Witnesses (when that wasn't the case). You didn't like the fact that I disagreed with you and suggested we take it to PM, which we did.
Your claims were then disproved and I was gifted with the PM
Forever Atlas said:
Well you said what you had to say, I said what I had to say, its not going to change your views if I have anything more to say and I am in no way going to argue soooo :) lol thats all
Note the bold, which supports the fact that you do not like any type of discussion or counter augments to your own.

Other examples we can use to accurately portray your view is,
"I like giving speeches" or "I like giving sermons" because they're one-way communication. People simply listen to you and you don't have to deal with any rebuttals.

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards
Why do we debate? Simple answer, because my religion is better than yours.

Alaude Drenxta

Square-Enix.....ilu <3

I seriously laughed. XD

That seems to be the common trend around here these days. People get so angry when you disagree with them, act like ****s, then accuse you of flaming them.

Remind me to rep you once I get the chance.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
KH Vandread said:
I debate because, with as many different religions as there are in the world, there is no way in hell that only one of them can possibly be the absolute truth.
Certainly a good contention, but a multiplicity of possibilities does not deny a single answer.

Endless Devoid said:
They turned something that should have been beautiful into an excuse to murder and rape humanity.
Endless Devoid said:
Your statement and your emoticon seem so horribly opposed....

Endless Devoid said:
Like I've said before. The Bible was a beautiful work of art, but that is what it comes down to. In society, you can not quote or referrence the Bible like a textbook and think it will have any impact, it would be the same as me quoting Harry Potter and feeding it to you as Gospel.
Context is everything. When discussing religion, particularly Christianity, you reference the Bible. When discussing Harry Potter, you reference Harry Potter, though you generally do not pass it off as "Gospel." And there are certainly cross-contextual spaces as well.
I actually find in debate that textbooks are my least common sources, reserved for establishing historical facts on the needed occasion.

I was going to dispute square-enix's post initially, but the end part:
square-enix said:
"I like giving speeches" or "I like giving sermons" because they're one-way communication. People simply listen to you and you don't have to deal with any rebuttals.
persuaded me otherwise; it's a fair point. I like giving speeches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back