• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why do so many people hate Hope? Spoilers just in case

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasy08

Considering the outright loathing I've seen when it comes to his character saying he's the scrappy would be an understatement.:( I for one adore the boy,and I honestly found nothing wrong with his personality at all. I found him human, and he had the best character development next to Sazh. What are everyone's else opinions though?:)

Also what are everyone's opinions on the rest of the cast as well?

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
hope's my favorite character, I HATE it when people bash him and vanille just for being immature like sheesh blame their humanity. >:c

Shinra

Banned
Awards
Well I for one like Hope... He maybe prone to complaining, but I'm not surprised if I find myself complaining like that. And I found that even though lightning is a total BEOTCH sometimes, She seemed to make a good older sister figure to Hope...

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
I found him human, and he had the best character development next to Sazh.
You could see Hope's character development coming from a mile away. Rather, it's his interactions with the other characters that I enjoyed, most especially in the first half of the game.

fantasy08

You could see Hope's character development coming from a mile away. Rather, it's his interactions with the other characters that I enjoyed, most especially in the first half of the game.

Oh, I never said I couldn't,but it's the execution that I liked. It's not the (clichéd) destination,but the journey there that's important.:) He was just a teenage rich kid that got in over his head big time. To the point he became a slave to some creature and an enemy of the state. Watching his mother die, right in front of him, wasn't helping matters either. I also like how he wasn't automatically combayah with the party either. He blamed them for getting him into this, and tried to actually kill one of them. Also when everyone was like 'lol let's kill anima' he was like every fool for themselves and took off running. I found it cowardly,but realistic. I mostly loved his interactions with Light, Vanille,and Snow.

Last edited:

Yuni

Banned
Hope is a cool character and all probably my favorite, but sometimes he can get two emotional and he doesn't sound serious.
The characters I hate in the game is Vanille, and Sazh (something just doesn't seem right about him).

teardrop

I like Hope. Yeah, he whines and complains, but he's a kid who got tossed into this huge mess. His growth throughout the game was impressive and his interactions with the other characters made me smile, especially with Lightning. I like Hope a hell of alot more than Snow and Vanille. Storywise and battle-wise.

Yuni

Banned
when Vanille got pushed by Hope in the beginning I thought he was gay, I would so love a women hugging me with big boobs and is hundered years old. lol.

D

Deleted member 87467

at first I thought he was kind of worthless in battle but after the Gapra Whitewood I like him

Wheels

I did like Hope. He was very realistic, and I really felt for the poor guy. Hell, I was cheering him on to get Snow!(More cause Snow annoyed me, rather than the story reasons) and I must agree, the scenes between Lightning and Hope are some of the best in the game(Except for the "There's no hope for l'Cie!" "There's you." line, which made me groan, even though I could see it coming) Vanille and Snow were the two who annoyed me, but not really for story reasons, but Snow's constant "SSSEEEEEERRRRRRAAAHHHH!!" and insistance he was going to save everyone, and Vanille's everchanging Australian accent(She got that region's accent right sometimes, as it's a fairly British sounding Australian accent in the South East part of Australia, at least, near Canberra and Sydney) the random slips into british and american accents annoyed me even more when I realised her voice actor is actually Australian. On the whole though, I felt all of the main cast were fairly believable and realistic, as much as you can be in a fantasy game

Ryukashi17

He did annoy me at first, but then the character became one of my favorites because of characterization and his high magic stat.

Z

Zulkir

hating vanille basically means that you hate happiness and listen to muse

Like Zidane(happy guy, realistically happy guy)

Like Sabin(Happy bodybuilder)

Like Kefka(Happy in a "different" way)

Hate Vanille for that psychotic fluctuation in accent and possibly the most annoying battle-sounds in the history of this series.

In fact I think this is the only sound more annoying than Vanille's sounds during battle.

I can't mute the sound though, cause she's traveling with Sazh, and his "budda budda budda" when he casts haste is the best sound during battle.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't mind Vanille's accent; she has the same regional accent used in a lot of Australian cartoons so I'm used to hearing it. I don't get why people think it sounds British or whatever. In the states, people speak differently in New York, Boston or Texas, right? There are different accents in Australia, too. That's all it is.

I loved Hope from the beginning. I wanted to hug him so bad, poor kid :< (I guess since Vanille did that for me in the beginning I started to like her 8D) I haven't finished the game yet, but it seems he grows out of his weaknesses? Which I loveeee. Can't wait to see it for myself.

Wheels

I don't mind Vanille's accent; she has the same regional accent used in a lot of Australian cartoons so I'm used to hearing it. I don't get why people think it sounds British or whatever. In the states, people speak differently in New York, Boston or Texas, right? There are different accents in Australia, too. That's all it is.

Her accent was a south-eastern Australian one. She did get it right, most of the time(Fairly British sounding Australian accent, or at least in the region of the South East I grew up in, NSW Canberra,Sydney and all that sort of thing) which is why I understand a lot of people thought she sounded British a lot of the time. I still have my south eastern Australian accent, and I know I sound a lot more formal and British-y than anyone else here where I now live, and the locals here, especially after we moved, were able to pick out we weren't from the state. Anyways, what I'm getting at is I'm not suprised a lot of people thought she was British, as the area has that kind of accent, but sometimes the British was too strong(I know I get more of a British accent when I'm angry though, so it's probably something like that) and the American accent she sometimes slipped into really bugged me, as I knew her voice actor was Australian, and that she obviously wasn't supposed to have one.

In conculsion, I'm mainly being nit-picky over her accent because I'm Australian, and grew up in the region where the accent she used was from XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back