Film ► Why Disney shut down 2D Hand Drawn Animation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Alpha Baymax

Silver Member
  • East Meets West
  • Disney Royalty
[video=youtube;BDf7uX5-9Q0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDf7uX5-9Q0[/video]

Trust me, this is the honest reason as to why it was shut down. As much as I hate the decision, I respect it!

Last edited:

robvandam111

Silver Member
  • Just Short of the Mark
  • You've Got A Friend In Me
  • Disney Royalty
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
I don't think they'd have abandon regular hand drawn animations. The ideas are still endless, I just hope the sense of the art style isn't extinct because the majority of the cartoons these are ugly.

Victor

into the night for once
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
  • Final Fantasy VII PC
  • Tomb Raider
  • Retired Staff
  • In the Grid
i'm just not going to watch a 3 minute long video and go ahead and say it's cost/time inefficient

Alpha Baymax

Silver Member
  • East Meets West
  • Disney Royalty
I don't think they'd have abandon regular hand drawn animations. The ideas are still endless, I just hope the sense of the art style isn't extinct because the majority of the cartoons these are ugly.
Hand drawn animation is part of the process of creating the CG movies, however, the "hand drawn" movie department has been shut down. John and Ed both respected what the directors wanted in Disney Animation. It's just coincidence that the Hand Drawn movies were performing poorly before they decided to shut the department down.

i'm just not going to watch a 3 minute long video and go ahead and say it's cost/time inefficient
You must be a special kind of impatient if you can't watch a three minute video that details exactly why Disney is no longer doing Hand Drawn animated movies. And no, you are far from the truth, consider watching the video. Your choice.

It's understandable I think. If the minds doing the shows don't want 2D, it won't happen..tho I wouldn't count out another 2D feature one of these days.
Well, if all the major directors agreed that they wanted to do a Hand Drawn animated movie then it may have the slim possibility of returning, however, Disney Animation are looking into the next best thing, Meander.

Victor

into the night for once
  • Final Fantasy VII PC
  • Tomb Raider
  • Retired Staff
  • In the Grid
You must be a special kind of impatient if you can't watch a three minute video that details exactly why Disney is no longer doing Hand Drawn animated movies. And no, you are far from the truth, consider watching the video. Your choice.
literally nothing in the video rules out cost
i mean you can just look at data, 3d films bring in way more money than 2d hand drawn. if you think disney isn't making the decision based on that, you're delusional
you can also consider the fact that several former animators want to 'revive' hand drawn animation as further evidence for the 'artistic direction' reasoning being bullshit

Knuxpyro56

Its been stated by Disney Animators all the time that they can decide if the film should be 3D or 2D. Its been that way for almost 8 years now. Much like sequels, directors of these films have the final say if they think they can tell more of the story. But they are not going to immediately start right away on a sequel, they're going to want to do what they want which happens to be original ideas.

Alpha Baymax

Silver Member
  • East Meets West
  • Disney Royalty
literally nothing in the video rules out cost
i mean you can just look at data, 3d films bring in way more money than 2d hand drawn. if you think disney isn't making the decision based on that, you're delusional
you can also consider the fact that several former animators want to 'revive' hand drawn animation as further evidence for the 'artistic direction' reasoning being bullshit
Oh no, an ex-Disney employee... Disney must have fired him... or he just left because he wanted to do hand drawn without corporation complications.

Of course the revenue of CG versus is arguably the biggest contributors, however, I just find it ignorant of people thinking that Disney wanted to shut down Hand Drawn Animation because the executives "seen no potential in it anymore".

You think of Ed Catmull's words as bullshit? well fine, be ignorant like that. Ed stated that he places the same artistic sensibility towards PIXAR. You see the sequels churned out by PIXAR? that's a decision made by the content directors. You see all the obscure and culturally diverse Disney characters and movies? that's a decision made by the content directors. If you want to live in your own bias: fine.

Its been stated by Disney Animators all the time that they can decide if the film should be 3D or 2D. Its been that way for almost 8 years now. Much like sequels, directors of these films have the final say if they think they can tell more of the story. But they are not going to immediately start right away on a sequel, they're going to want to do what they want which happens to be original ideas.

THANK YOU, Someone who understands the Disney Animation production and process.

Victor

into the night for once
  • Final Fantasy VII PC
  • Tomb Raider
  • Retired Staff
  • In the Grid
Oh no, an ex-Disney employee... Disney must have fired him... or he just left because he wanted to do hand drawn without corporation complications.
You seem really good at misinterpreting what people say and write. valuable skill, keep it up!

Alpha Baymax

Silver Member
  • East Meets West
  • Disney Royalty
You seem really good at misinterpreting what people say and write. valuable skill, keep it up!
Thanks, I appreciate the criticism :biggrin:

I just posted the video here to give people a little more insight about what the process was with shutting down Hand Drawn Animation.

Knuxpyro56

At least we still have Studio Ghibli for some lovely, hand drawn animated films.

Oh wait =(
Im pretty sure you know this but Disney doesn't even own Ghilbli, they never had. They only had distribution rights of the Blu-Rays. Infact any Ghilbli film is now distributed through GKids (who do a worse job than Disney)

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
  • Master of Monologues
  • Final Fantasy Type-0
  • Final Fantasy VIII PC
  • The World Ends with You: Solo Remix
  • In the Grid
Im pretty sure you know this but Disney doesn't even own Ghilbli, they never had. They only had distribution rights of the Blu-Rays. Infact any Ghilbli film is now distributed through GKids (who do a worse job than Disney)
I am very well aware, they are (were) the only company left doing hand drawn animation. They're currently on hiatus right now which explains the sad face.

Alpha Baymax

Silver Member
  • East Meets West
  • Disney Royalty
I am very well aware, they are (were) the only company left doing hand drawn animation. They're currently on hiatus right now which explains the sad face.
John Lasseter was the one who sorted out the dubs for Hayao Miyazaki's work as he wanted to translate the beauty of his movies to international territories. The reason as to why Disney no longer dubs is because Miyazaki no longer directs Studio Ghibli work.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
  • Master of Monologues
  • Final Fantasy Type-0
  • Final Fantasy VIII PC
  • The World Ends with You: Solo Remix
  • In the Grid
John Lasseter was the one who sorted out the dubs for Hayao Miyazaki's work as he wanted to translate the beauty of his movies to international territories. The reason as to why Disney no longer dubs is because Miyazaki no longer directs Studio Ghibli work.
Well he retired after The Wind Rises, which was his last film and the last film that Disney localized. Two more have been released after that, as well as one other one that Disney didn't localized in the late 2000s I think, Poppy Hill?

I just don't think Disney should've done this still, they messed up the marketing on Princess and the Frog so that's on them, and then their final hand drawn film was Winnie the Pooh. You know when that released? The same day as the final Harry Potter film, what the hell did they think was gonna happen? I'm honestly surprised they admitted that they changed the names of Rapunzel and The Snow Queen for marketing reasons as opposed to "creative reasons". That's understandable at least.

Fingers crossed for a feature length film with the Paperman tech one day, that'll be awesome.

Knuxpyro56

Yeah, the Paperman tech is so good, and with color like what Feast had, SO GOOD

Alpha Baymax

Silver Member
  • East Meets West
  • Disney Royalty
Yeah, the Paperman tech is so good, and with color like what Feast had, SO GOOD
Definitely, I just hope that Gigantic ends up becoming a Meander Animated Movie. It'll distinguish them from PIXAR! :smile:

Just to let everyone know, I've updated the video as the previous video's link was erroneous.