• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why Didn't Kairi take the Exam?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
So if Kairi was taking the exam in DDD, would they have still stuck with the drop system, or would it have been easier to do the story in three halfs like BBS?
Probably keep the drop system, but since there are three characters, you choose which one to drop into.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Tbh I feel like if they had made it three characters, the drop-system would've been "force only" during the game and "at will only" (+choosing to whom to drop) after completing the game.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
As many gripes I have with how the Drop mechanic was handled, I feel dividing the game in three parts like BbS would've damaged the flow (heheh) of the story.
I don't hate the concept of Drop from a narrative standpoint, far from it; I just think it should've been in specific points and not a constant sword of Damocles timer that plagued my exploration.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
So if Kairi was taking the exam in DDD, would they have still stuck with the drop system, or would it have been easier to do the story in three halfs like BBS?
I'd say that given the story reason for the Drop system, it'd probably be kept, but I wouldn't want it divided like how BBS was.

What I'd do is not give Kairi a Drop meter, have her occasionally appear in both Sora and Riku's scenarios, and after you finish a set of worlds for both boys you get to play a Kairi section that either sets up the next world's scenario or deals with the end of one. That's the best I can come with without dividing the story like à la BBS

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Kairi should have been the main character
I think the game should have been structured the same way I think BBS should have been structured (although I'm pretty sure someone else came up with this and I've thieved their preference and repurposed it as my own): just switch characters organically as the plot moves along. One scenario that shifts focus between characters: for one section or world maybe it's Kairi, another it's Sora or Riku. Let the player switch around freely for leveling/grinding purposes, but story content remains character specific and in motion. No forced backtracking to play out what specifically Riku was doing (fighting bad guys) at the same time that Sora was doing something (fighting bad guys) at the same time that Kairi was fighting the same boss the other two fought: just cut out the bloat of redundancy and write a single, comprehensive narrative.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
It would have been cool to have a Reverse Rebirth-esque kinda thing for Kairi in DDD. Sora and Riku have been given so much focus and development respectively and I think having that opportunity for Kairi would have been great, honestly I couldn't care less for Riku after the stunts he pulled in KH1 but Reverse Rebirth turned him into one of my favorite characters in the series. Perhaps not in this saga but the next Kairi will be a stronger presence once her time to shine or bloom comes forth in KH3. Maybe that's how they'll handle it

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
i think we see a progess of kairi charather with lea when they are training but i think some will come sora as well in kh3

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
If they had gone the BBS route, maybe the final episode could have been Riku and Kairi teaming up to save Sora. Or maybe Kairi having to save both boys, thus creating another parallel between her and Aqua.

The difference being Kairi actually managed to succesfully save her friends

Relix

A traveler
Awards
That seems to be the only thing lacking at least from where I'm standing. They've given Riku and Sora these journeys and arcs for us to see and work through and the Mark of Mastery was like "great, now let's officially evaluate your aptitude thus far" where as Kairi doesn't have a journey or an arc to draw on. I hope for a fitting arc because unlike Sora and Riku she has some already established uniqueness in being a PoH, maybe explore her feelings about that or bring up possible responsibilities PoH share. They could explore how she feels and where she fits in everything that is happening, she can encounter and build an antagonistic relationship in one or a few of the 13 darknesses Xehanorts that they'll be taking on throughout the game. I just want more opportunities for them to build upon her character, instead of sidelining her or using her as a plot device or as a "reason to fight to go back home" or something like that

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
That seems to be the only thing lacking at least from where I'm standing. They've given Riku and Sora these journeys and arcs for us to see and work through and the Mark of Mastery was like "great, now let's officially evaluate your aptitude thus far" where as Kairi doesn't have a journey or an arc to draw on.
Kairi does have an arc, though, they just have to be smart about using it. All of that time her heart spent with Sora in KH1, and the journey she went on to reclaim the missing parts of herself in KH2, constitute plenty of material to draw on for mapping out a more specific character-based perspective. There's also a good bit of blank space between KH1 and 2 which is ripe for exploration; what was it like for Kairi to be alone on the island, sensing the connections between herself and her friends weaken as the events of CoM unfolded? There's also her personal history as a resident of Radiant Garden to think about: what would it be like for her to go back there and see it being rebuilt into the kingdom that it once was? We know she has strong, unconscious memories of the place because her heart responds to it (from within Sora's) in KH1. She'll be starting her journey in KH3 training with Merlin and Lea in RG, so that's a perfectly fine place to start fleshing out her thoughts and feelings. Kairi is really well positioned to give this long saga some much needed retrospection precisely because there are so many spaces in her story to accommodate it, and it's why I think she's the ideal character with which to open the last chapter.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
agreed with much of what's been posted above. I for one would love a scenario where Sora once again is out of commission or separated from Donald and the Goofster, and they end up with Kairi. It doesn't even need to be a playable situation, just a few scenes popping in with those three; they've got a lot of common ground! No better way to strengthen Kairi's relationship with Sora than by having her connect with the people closest to him.

That and she was basically with Sora for the duration of his KH1 adventure, so she knows them better than you think she might.

I'd like for KH3 to once again keep Sora, Kairi, and Riku split up for most of the game... Make them go through stuff and then have another kinetic exciting reunion when shit's getting exciting in the story. Let Sora and Riku be surprised and relieved at Kairi's budding independence. They're so used to protecting her that I'm sure letting her go free is both worrysome and uncomfortable. Don't just lock her in a training chamber, have her go out and do some important stuff.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
agreed with launchpad here let kairi bloom into the girl who we want to be

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
agreed with much of what's been posted above. I for one would love a scenario where Sora once again is out of commission or separated from Donald and the Goofster, and they end up with Kairi. It doesn't even need to be a playable situation, just a few scenes popping in with those three; they've got a lot of common ground! No better way to strengthen Kairi's relationship with Sora than by having her connect with the people closest to him.

That and she was basically with Sora for the duration of his KH1 adventure, so she knows them better than you think she might.
I really like this idea. It could provide some levity given that Kairi knows Donald and Goofy better than even they probably realize, so they could be taken aback at how much she's aware of. like a lot of the players It would also be useful to get some perspective and interaction with her that doesn't involve Riku or Sora; let her bounce off of some other characters for a bit and see what happens.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I'd actually like to see Kairi with Sora and Riku for once. Especially Riku, though. I wouldn't mind her interact with Donald and Goofy (or other characters), but roughly three cutscenes over the course of the whole series simply aren't enough to make me believe Riku and her give a flying fuck about each other.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
If we are talking about Kairi interacting with more Disney characters, she needs her own Disney sidekick like Sora and Riku. She should travel with Pluto again.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
If we are talking about Kairi interacting with more Disney characters, she needs her own Disney sidekick like Sora and Riku. She should travel with Pluto again.

That would be nice. I was kinda sad we saw so little of Pluto anyway, he needs more love.

D

Deleted member 246005

I was gonna say Max and his friends but that group might fit Aqua or Lea better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back