• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why Didn't Kairi take the Exam?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So Riku just intercepted her Keyblade and just handed it to Kairi.. Yeah that's the simplest and most plausible answer alright..

However I agree that it's dumb and I personally hate it. It feels like the more I try to dig around in lore it turns out to be more shallow than deep.

I don't like the idea of it at all, but it would fit in line with the whole "Kairi is a Keyblade wielder all on accident and technicalities whoops" thing they have going on right now. Also I think it would be rather poor tastes to take Kairi's agency and power away from her in this situation.

If we believe it was Riku who gave her the Keyblade, it means she didn't earn it. She didn't work for it nor she was she chosen in that moment, but instead it was handed to her by one of the main male characters to spur her into action. It's weak and ruins the motivation behind Kairi's character moment. Riku is the one empowering her in this scenario, which only continues to push that she can only take action when the men around her allow her to.

If we believe Kairi's heart was strong in that moment and called to her Keyblade, then it means she did earn it. Her will and determination to protect Sora and his friends caused her to awaken to a power all on her own. Riku handing the Keyblade to her would be less about him giving her the power to fight and more about presenting her with her rightful claim.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
The KH2 scene where Kairi is given a Keyblade will always be the most baffling thing I'd ever seen-- She uses it in that once instance and the implications of her wielding a Key goes nowhere-- It's embarrassingly bad writing, I don't care that a game came out 7 years later that implied she'd be using it again, it's still weak writing.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I guess Nomura misunderstood the question. He probably thought people wondered how Kairi could wield a keyblade (which, surely, was part of it), when actually the question was, how did Riku pull it out of his butt. I guess he answered half of the question (badly), but yeah, the main mystery remains. Considering since KH2, we've seen keyblades being thrown around like pumpkins after halloween, I feel like no one even bothered questioning Kairi's ability. It was mostly like eh, bound to happen. Everyone has one.

I remember that, but not whether the question was about Kairi being able to wield or on how Riku got it. BBS did have Kairi accidentally inherit so maybe Nomura misunderstood the question?

I can see Nomura misunderstanding the question, I'm baffled no one asked better in the following years. I can see people not wanting to "waste" a question slot for a previous game, but I'm pretty sure at least the scenario mysteries allow for retroactivity.

If we believe Kairi's heart was strong in that moment and called to her Keyblade, then it means she did earn it. Her will and determination to protect Sora and his friends caused her to awaken to a power all on her own. Riku handing the Keyblade to her would be less about him giving her the power to fight and more about presenting her with her rightful claim.

I too like this version: it's simple, it's clean, it gives a sorta of straight answer without complicated time loops or switcharoos.
And Riku fits as the deliverer of yet another key since he also had to replace the one he lost to Sora.
Imma adopt this theory myself (and I'll give credits, of course).

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Going back to a point a few of you made about Sora and Riku's early days, I just realized that Kairi was the only child on the island who couldn't fight. Sora couldn't duel her like he could with the others. That's really odd.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Going back to a point a few of you made about Sora and Riku's early days, I just realized that Kairi was the only child on the island who couldn't fight. Sora couldn't duel her like he could with the others. That's really odd.

It’s becsuse they wanted her to be a traditional princess/heroine/childhood girl archetype.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Or maybe Kairi is secretly uber powerful, and since the logic at the time that only boys played video games, they didn't want to hurt their egos. XD Jk of course.

I had this weird thought of an hipster Kairi with scarf and glasses: "Mock fights? Psht, that's too mainstream. I'm into the underground stuff, like building rafts or making seashells lucky charms."

Relix

A traveler
Awards
If we're accepting the fact or at least coming to the conclusion that the keyblade Riku handed to Kairi is now forever in her possession, it raises two interesting points:

Point 1: That Kairi is in possession of a keyblade that was not originally hers or was given to her by someone else. This method has been confirmed (at least I believe so) to be capable of happening with Aqua (inheriting Master's Defender from Master Eraqus) even though her own keyblade was being kept by Xemnas. And I believe...Mickey as well(?) having had the Star Seeker keyblade and obtaining Kingdom Key D from the Realm of Darkness. So Kairi can very much, having a qualified heart, received and now owns the keyblade given to her by Riku.

Point 2: If the above is correct, Riku does not necessarily have to have an additional heart to be in possession of another Keyblade, no? A theory (one that I even believe(d)) is that Riku must have been harboring another heart in order to give another keyblade to Kairi despite clearly carrying his own. However if Riku was simply doing what Aqua did in receiving Eraqus' keyblade and Mickey picking up Kingdom Key D, Riku could have simply been the delivery boy for Kairi's keyblade. Although I supported the previous theory, I think this theory removes an unneeded layer of convoluted crap in an already complex story.

Now as to why Kairi hasn't been training (at least not onscreen anyway), I chalk it up to either not wanting to put more content into the games than they felt was necessary at the time (like how they cut Squall and the other FF cast from BBS) OR they were holding off until KH3 to try and flesh her out alongside Lea hopefully.......... OR² they won't even do that much and she is destined to watch Sora and Riku do all of the cool things and she's just there.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Ah, the Kairi thing. Of all the ways DDD dropped the ball, I think this one gets at me the most, as there really is no satisfactory in-universe explanation.

The flaw with the idea that Kairi has no combat experience is that it's centered around all of what we don't see as players, and contradicted by much of what we do. On Destiny Island, there are two primary reasons we don't see Kairi practice fight which have no bearing on whether she's capable of it, or whether she regularly participates:
1) During the time we spend on DI, Kairi has taken charge of compiling an inventory of supplies needed to build the raft, and also appears to have busied herself watching over the work which has already been completed. So she's otherwise occupied.
2) Even if she were participating, I think it goes without saying that Sora wouldn't fight her. That doesn't mean other characters didn't.
The first point goes more to a convenient excuse not to show her fighting, which would be in keeping with Nomura's desired narrative (from Sora's perspective): that of Kairi as a pure girl who needs protecting and who is made vulnerable as a function of the plot's design and his hero's journey. It's a lot harder to sell that on a character (especially a female one) who has been seen to kick butt. This doesn't stand for evidence that Kairi did do combat on DI, it's just to offer a plausible ulterior motive for neglecting to show it.

But wait, there's more. First, there's KH2, where Kairi is actually shown to do combat at the spur of a moment when given something to swing. Sure, one could make the case that any ol' person could knock a few Shadows around, but that actually doesn't follow from our given point of reference: Sora, who has prior "combat" experience (via training on DI) when he first gains the Keyblade and fights a bunch of Shadows on the night of the storm. So what we can actually take away from her fighting in KH2 pursuant to the internal logic of the series is that she's no less experienced than Sora was at the start of KH1.

But wait, there's more! KH1 comes with a twist which changes, well, everything about the narrative that Nomura intentionally set up. Kairi was with Sora the whole time. That's, like, the point. Her heart was with him and she experienced everything he did on his journey. Her heart was awake inside of him and it was actively responding to different stimuli, causing him to have feelings he couldn't explain and see visions of her where she couldn't have been-- physically, that is. Her journey with Sora is etched into her heart as links in her chain of memories. She fought with Sora, and grew with Sora: she was as much a part of the narrative of KH1 as he was.

So she was there in KH1, on the same journey as Sora. She was there in KH2, on a journey of her own: one which culminates in her earning the Keyblade for herself. That's 2/3 of Sora's stories. Can somebody tell me again why Kairi doesn't qualify as having enough "experience" to take part in the MoM exam, even if she wasn't aiming for the Mark itself? It can't have anything to do with her physical prowess: that discounts all of Sora's fighting from the moment Kairi revives him (oh yeah, that was Kairi, the useless character who would have been totally useless on a mission that has to do with moving between Realms of existence) to the moment Roxas joins up with him at the start of KH2 when Sora had no body: 'cause it's strength of heart that really matters in this series.

Kairi's heart has loads of things going for it. It has experience being removed from her body and put back in one piece: it has all of the memories from the time it spent with Sora in KH1: it has, y'know, the no darkness thing: and it has the resolve she built steadily over the course of KH2 buoyed by her singular, powerful, guiding connection with the Hero of Light which has saved him more than once throughout his journey.

She's the worst twist in DDD because it was obvious that she should have been there from the get-go. It makes absolutely no sense that she isn't, because her heart quite literally is Sora's "guiding key." It makes everybody there look like total amateurs: Yen Sid, Mickey and Riku of all people should have insisted on Kairi's presence and participation, and it's egg on Nomura's face because it wasted a perfectly fine opportunity to deepen our understanding of her purpose and her powers.

redcrown

Awards
There wasn't a kitchen in Yen Sid's tower, what else was she supposed to do there?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Am I the only one slightly concerned that every Sora or Riku thread at some point derails into really sappy honest SoRiku-consideration / -dismissal talk, while all Kairi gets is "woman in the kitchen" clichés?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Am I the only one slightly concerned that every Sora or Riku thread at some point derails into really sappy honest SoRiku-consideration / -dismissal talk, while all Kairi gets is "woman in the kitchen" clichés?

Misogyny is a hard cultural and social attitude to break away from. It's so hardwired. Even I do it sometimes when I talk about Kairi.

It doesn't help that Kairi is hardly portrayed as much of anything, and it is always interesting to note that people rarely make these jokes about Aqua, Xion, or even Namine.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It doesn't help that Kairi is hardly portrayed as much of anything, and it is always interesting to note that people rarely make these jokes about Aqua, Xion, or even Namine.

To be fair Aqua, Xion and Naminé also rarely get brought up in this regard while, at least as I have observed, regardless if the topic is about story/plot development, playable characters, alotted screentime or something else regarding the series structure it's almost always Kairi that gets talked about to no end.

Almost like as if parts of the fandom are trying to "make up" for her character's constant neglect by "canon" by pushing her into the forefront of fandom discussion in every conceivable way.

Xion almost always gets brought up only when it comes to her controversial status in the fandom and the (lack of) necessity of her being even in the series to begin with, buzzword "Mary Sue" included.
With Aqua it's very often only about her "waifu" status and/or boobs or how she's the only "worthwhile" female main character of the series while with Naminé it is most often about her weird origins or her powers, not her actual character or possible new arc/development/involvement of her in the overall story.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
BTW, on a side note I always felt that there was a boss or 2 missing from each world in DDD. Like if Kairi had been a 3rd playable character then we could've gotten those bosses.

TT: A TWEWY boss (be it Sho or a noise)
Notre Dame: Frollo
PP: Monstro or the Coachman (or maybe a Thunder version of the lobster)
Grid: CLU
TCotM: Full-body Holey Moley
SoS: A proper Chernabog fight, Firebird, Or perhaps Yen Sid himself as Kairi's final test.
Final: Apprentice Xehanort would be the closest Kairi has to a "rival" 'nort since that's the version that took her away from her home.

ImVentus

Awards
From the early production of DDD: Focusing mainly on giving Riku more established character development.

Today: One can question why Kairi wasn't involved?

My bigger question is... How is Kairi & Lea gonna have enough time to train in KH3? Cause it's taking place immediately after 0.2 right?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
From the early production of DDD: Focusing mainly on giving Riku more established character development.

Today: One can question why Kairi wasn't involved?

My bigger question is... How is Kairi & Lea gonna have enough time to train in KH3? Cause it's taking place immediately after 0.2 right?

Well KH3 should take the course of a few months while SDG and RM do their quests. That should give Kairi enough time to become somewhat competent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back