• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why Didn't Kairi take the Exam?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
KH II's final fight: "This time, now one will be left behind!"

Xemnas: "hold my skyscraper"

What I always took from DDD was that Kairi was supposed to be this HUGE plot twist that (in Nomura's mind) it made sense not to showcase her in any other way.
Even the way Donald and Goofy react to her, Riku never saying her name... all was a buildup in which the player was supposed to constantly wondering "Who is it gonna be? Who is it gonna be?"

Needless to say, I think the payoff didn't come even close.
Kairi's character is just a mess. A lot of ideas, both in narrative and gameplay, could've been applied to improve her but honestly? As of now I feel confident in saying this is not how KH does it.
The fact that KH III is a game where every character ever could and is supposed to appear and play a role and yet we barely got confirmation of the possibility of playing as someone else who isn't Sora shows that a KH character isn't that much different than a D&D one: you better hope you got good rolls at the beginning, or else is endless oblivion for you, unless the GM tries to shoehorn you back into the fray in a way that'll always feel forced.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Also, Sora and Riku played/trained with swords for a good ten years, I'd say that helps at the very least in training reflexes and building a fit body (also, have you been whacked by a hardened wooden sword? I have. It hurts.)
And even then we do see Sora getting accustomed to the Keyblade, many of his basic movements in KH1 were those of someone wielding a weapon they don't know how to use. Every swing was a basic two-handed "let's hit the enemy as hard as I can".
It's only by KH II that he became confident with it.

This is such a good exposure. And the wooden sword training too, I can relate and nothing is worse than poor reflexes and posture. Dare I say especially for girly girls (Kairi is a sassy girly girl, not a buff Natsuki tomboy. She NEEDS that Yen Sid training).
My thoughts are exactly like Voido's: Kairi didn't have the experience Sora and Riku had at that point. Actually, she will never have the same amount of experience as Sora or Riku, but she can make up for it by training hard and being exceptionally good at what she's doing, thus becoming a valuable keyblade wielder. Till now, let's be honest, she was valuable as a Princess of Heart and a best friend, but not yet as a keyblade wielder. I hope KH3 shows us the moment in which she truly proves herself regarding that.
Other than this, Sora and Riku both had something to prove to themselves. In Riku's case it was way more evident, but to Sora it all looked like proving his strength and skill once more (*Noctis voice*: Cake, baby! ), except he underestimated it all. The Exam should have resulted in strengthening key-characteristics or abilities they already showed to have, in the previous adventures, and therefore it was indeed a "mastering" exam. They master what they had to master. But Kairi...

Kairi must be a level "wielding a keyblade in minimum 3 previous games" friend to unlock this achievement.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
In a way she does technically have a unique and possibly powerful skill. You touched on it earlier, but since Kairi is a PoH I suppose that makes her immune to temptations, darkness, possession. Something none of the other Keyblade wielders can claim. Plus as a PoH she's​ probably more valuable alive and the worse Xehanort would do to her is just capture or extract her heart, but not kill her. Also being pure of darkness alludes to probably having strong Holy power. Maybe has a higher ceiling than Sora in that regard.

I'm not sure if she's immune to these thing. Temptations, not sure, darkness...maybe, but it what way? Possession? Yeah, maybe as well, but having your heart stolen and used for the keyblade of hearts or to forge the X-Blade is also pretty dangerous and almost the same imo.
I agree though that Xehanort would probably not want to kill her. Yet, what good does that do her if he "just" captures her?

KH II's final fight: "This time, now one will be left behind!"

Xemnas: "hold my skyscraper"

What I always took from DDD was that Kairi was supposed to be this HUGE plot twist that (in Nomura's mind) it made sense not to showcase her in any other way.
Even the way Donald and Goofy react to her, Riku never saying her name... all was a buildup in which the player was supposed to constantly wondering "Who is it gonna be? Who is it gonna be?"

This was definitely one of the main problems and I still don't get it. Like, who else could it have been either way?! What did Nomura think who we'd expect, and why would we really care considering we'd have to wait years for it anyway without any hype?

Other than this, Sora and Riku both had something to prove to themselves. In Riku's case it was way more evident, but to Sora it all looked like proving his strength and skill once more (*Noctis voice*: Cake, baby! ), except he underestimated it all. The Exam should have resulted in strengthening key-characteristics or abilities they already showed to have, in the previous adventures, and therefore it was indeed a "mastering" exam. They master what they had to master. But Kairi...

Kairi must be a level "wielding a keyblade in minimum 3 previous games" friend to unlock this achievement.

Sora was also supposed to awaken a new power. One that Kairi wouldn't need, because she's not Sora and SORA IS THE ONE TO AWAKEN THEM ALL.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Correct me if I'm wrong here cuz it's been awhile:

The Keyblade Ceremony only qualifies you to wield a keyblade and not necessarily grants you one of your own, right? Take Riku for example, the Keyblade ceremony that Terra performed on Riku happened when he was a child but a keyblade of his own didn't appear until KH1 and that sidestepped him to Sora and he didn't actually receive his own keyblade until KH2 in Way to Dawn.

Now Kairi, the ceremony was performed "accidently" by Aqua when she was a child which qualified her to wield a keyblade which is why she is able to wield the keyblade that Riku gives to her to use in KH2. Now I haven't been poking around with the lore of this game in a while so I'm not sure if this has been addressed since DDD or anything but I don't think we're sure if Kairi holds this keyblade permanently or if Riku retrieved it (the very fact that Riku was able to give her one in the first place was a topic of a lot of discussion some odd years ago cuz that would mean in some twisted way Riku was in ownership of two keyblades at once alluding to some very damning theories people had but then the whole Aqua having ownership of Eraqus' keyblade WHILE her keyblade was being held by Apprentice Xehanort and later Xemnas happened and kind of made everyone sweep that to the side until officially addressed).

With Lea I believe the ceremony was performed HOWEVER the hyperbolic time chamber was needed to speed up the "getting a keyblade of his own" process and even after that time he was having difficulty summoning his own keyblade and only managed to do so at the end of DDD.

So Kairi not taking the MoM exam with Sora and Riku could definitely be that despite the duo being "soft reset" to zero in order to learn how to use their powers properly, the experience they have was enough to make them prepared for the exam, simply having a keyblade wouldn't cut it as then Ven should have been able to take his exam alongside Aqua and Terra (unless there were some ulterior motives behind that but tin foil hats aside). Another valid reason could be simply she doesn't have a keyblade of her own sort of speak yet and is going through the process of obtaining it (Lea's hyperbolic time chamber training was more of a case of an emergency if anything if I remember correctly), but that brings up like I mentioned earlier how just because she was given a keyblade by Riku doesn't mean she doesn't own the one she is given seeing how Aqua is able to wield, magically sheath, and call upon Eraqus' keyblade when her own keyblade is elsewhere...very elsewhere, I wonder if she'll ever get that back. And of course it could very well have been storytelling reasons so she has a character arc of her own that doesn't have to be quick and can do her some needed justice.

*exhale*

Hakan Xatos

Awards
^^

Okay correct me if I'm wrong but I think I get your point. Kairi can wield because of the KIC accidentally by Aqua. So she could wield the Keyblade that Riku loaned her (like you said how he got two Keyblades is beside the point), but since it wasn't hers then Kairi can't summon it on her own.

Now since Riku lost his Keyblade to Sora then he had to train for the events of CoM, Days and most of KH2 and perhaps a Keyblade 'chose' him again.

If your theory that Lea had the KIC as well then it kinda matches Riku in the fact that intense training in the hyperbolic time chamber allowed a Keyblade to 'choose' Lea.

By that logic it's kind of simple. Kairi couldn't be playable in DDD because she hasn't trained enough or proven herself worthy yet for a Keyblade to 'choose' her.

The only gripe I could see is that why wasn't Kairi training during the same time as Lea, but it may be because the situation wasn't quite as dire until Xehanort revealed his plans at the end.

I like this theory.

Edit: Extra point on Riku's two Keyblades. He gives Kairi one in his Ansem form. Now Sora can dual wield because he has Ventus' heart right? What if Riku in Ansem's form somehow has Xehanort's heart and his Keyblade? I mean Ansem SoD was a heartless and carried a heart. He wanted Riku to be his vessel to hold his essence, his darkness, his heart. Then Riku is purified of Ansem by the machine and loses the Keyblade. Do we see Kairi wielding a Keyblade after Riku returns to normal?

Last edited:

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean sure, these lines of thought make sense, but I'm gonna quote Void on this one.

I mean plot reasons! is never a good reason. If the plot makes it impossible to implement a main character - change the plot! That's always been an issue for Kairi and after every game up to that point had neglected her, SE should've just tried harder to make her fit into the plot somehow.

As I pointed out myself, it's true Kairi was never shown practicing so she's behind the others, but I also don't think it works as an "excuse", especially if they still want to make her part of the final battle.
Just give her something else! She restored a Heartless in human form and her colleagues Princesses warded of the Darkness, I think you can totally work something out against the Norts with this.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
What I'm wondering is: Why should the keyblade ditch Kairi and then suddenly come back during or after the plot of 3D? Because she sat on the paopu tree so well? I don't buy that. Besides, I'm pretty sure the keyblade Riku gave to her was hers, they didn't just give Aqua Destiny's Embrace as well for nothing. It was basically shoving L O O K. Kairi keyblade. Things make sense now in the players' faces (even though it didn't make sense then).

Hakan Xatos

Awards
What I'm wondering is: Why should the keyblade ditch Kairi and then suddenly come back during or after the plot of 3D? Because she sat on the paopu tree so well? I don't buy that. Besides, I'm pretty sure the keyblade Riku gave to her was hers, they didn't just give Aqua Destiny's Embrace as well for nothing. It was basically shoving L O O K. Kairi keyblade. Things make sense now in the players' faces (even though it didn't make sense then).

I can't remember, but did the Keyblade actually reappear in DDD? I just remember Kairi being summoned and that's it. Maybe the secondary playable character is a Kairi tutorial finishing up a grand trial that gives her a Keyblade? I dunno but it sounds plausible.

I saw the secret ending again and it's just her showing. However Yen Sid said he heard that Kairi " could wield a Keyblade" not actually has one. Of course it could be mystic speak.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Donald & Goofy didn't have anything to do either but they still showed up, so yeah she could've at least shown much earlier. Best in-universe explanation I can think of is that someone's gotta stay behind & make excuses to the parents.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I can't remember, but did the Keyblade actually reappear in DDD? I just remember Kairi being summoned and that's it. Maybe the secondary playable character is a Kairi tutorial finishing up a grand trial that gives her a Keyblade? I dunno but it sounds plausible.

I saw the secret ending again and it's just her showing. However Yen Sid said he heard that Kairi " could wield a Keyblade" not actually has one. Of course it could be mystic speak.
It appears together with Kairi (she is wielding it) in Sora’s “my friends are my power” speech, so yes, it does appear

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

But isn't being able to wield a keyblade basically "having one"? For example in Days, Xion explicitely didn't lose her keyblade, but her ability to wield one, so I doubt that Kairi lost hers and its not addressed in any way. :l I mean of course it's Yen Sid and you never know, but I don't think they thought much more into this than "oh boy, didn't Kairi have a keyblade? LOL lets bring her back for plottwists".

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I dont know what keyblade you can come up with to top Destiny's Embrace. That keychain fits her perfectly.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Riku was surprised to be asked to bring Kairi. Why would he be if she could summon a Keyblade at will? He's a pretty smart guy. I'm sure he'd put it together if it was that simple.

I mean if everything is dismissed for "because the writers forget or are stupid or whatever" then what's even the point of plot theories? Every question would be answered by "the writers just did it that way."
It appears together with Kairi (she is wielding it) in Sora’s “my friends are my power” speech, so yes, it does appear

It wasn't physically her though..

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Riku was surprised to be asked to bring Kairi. Why would he be if she could summon a Keyblade at will? He's a pretty smart guy. I'm sure he'd put it together if it was that simple.

I mean if everything is dismissed for "because the writers forget or are stupid or whatever" then what's even the point of plot theories? Every question would be answered by "the writers just did it that way."

Because Kairi never had any training (and starting that right before the grand clash is not really much for her to be part of it), and to Riku, she was never a wielder in the first place, but a very good friend he wanted to protect at all cost.
Hell, maybe Riku didn't know she could actually willingly use the keyblade. That's where how did he give it to her sadly becomes important again, because we will probably never find out. Could he sense her ability to wield it? If so, how? Also, could he sense her lose it (if she did)?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
It is really absurd we still don't have the canon explanation for Riku and the Shipped by Amazon Prime Keyblade.
I remember it was a question asked to Nomura after KH II, and he said "wait for Birth by Sleep and you might know the answer".
Well, it's been 7 years since BbS and I still don't know where that key came from. The optimists said to wait and see if Riku met Aqua in 0.2 or if she passed a Keyblade to Mickey, and 0.2 did nothing of the sort.

Someone needs to cicada block Nomura and reminding him that, since he himself stated number of Keyblades x number of hearts, we still need to understand where does that Destiny Embrace come from and that Aqua's Ceremony doesn't fully explain it.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
It is really absurd we still don't have the canon explanation for Riku and the Shipped by Amazon Prime Keyblade.
I remember it was a question asked to Nomura after KH II, and he said "wait for Birth by Sleep and you might know the answer".
Well, it's been 7 years since BbS and I still don't know where that key came from. The optimists said to wait and see if Riku met Aqua in 0.2 or if she passed a Keyblade to Mickey, and 0.2 did nothing of the sort.

Someone needs to cicada block Nomura and reminding him that, since he himself stated number of Keyblades x number of hearts, we still need to understand where does that Destiny Embrace come from and that Aqua's Ceremony doesn't fully explain it.

I guess Nomura misunderstood the question. He probably thought people wondered how Kairi could wield a keyblade (which, surely, was part of it), when actually the question was, how did Riku pull it out of his butt. I guess he answered half of the question (badly), but yeah, the main mystery remains. Considering since KH2, we've seen keyblades being thrown around like pumpkins after halloween, I feel like no one even bothered questioning Kairi's ability. It was mostly like eh, bound to happen. Everyone has one.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I just pretend Riku's butt is a Keyblade factory.

I remember that, but not whether the question was about Kairi being able to wield or on how Riku got it. BBS did have Kairi accidentally inherit so maybe Nomura misunderstood the question?

Hakan Xatos

Awards
As Riku-Ansem he could have had access to Xehanort's Keyblade which could have been loaned to Kairi.

Sora has access to two because of Ventus. Ansem SoD carried Xehanort's heart. Just saying it's a possibility..

Also Kairi's Keyblade could have disappeared after Riku got cleansed by the machine.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I’m going to bring up mine and Taochan (feat. Dandelion)’s theory.

So obviously the two prevailing theories are that the Keyblade is Kairi’s and Riku somehow gives it to her for some unexplained reason, or it was because Riku had another heart inside his own.

Just to add food for thought, the novel says this in regards to Kairi after Riku hands her the Keyblade: “It called to her, the strength in her heart, and it too wanted her to join the fray.”

It’s vague, for sure (and 3rd tier canon)...but in that moment the Keyblade definitely calls to her. Regardless of how she obtained it, I don’t think there should be any debate over the ownership of the weapon. It’s Kairi’s, now.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
So Riku just intercepted her Keyblade and just handed it to Kairi.. Yeah that's the simplest and most plausible answer alright..

However I agree that it's dumb and I personally hate it. It feels like the more I try to dig around in lore it turns out to be more shallow than deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back