• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why did they need Roxas alive?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I've been wondering this for a while but why go through the trouble of capturing Roxas alive?

They needed to get Sora's memories back but why go the long way and capture him? Destroying Xion freed what memories she was holding so wouldn't it have been quicker to just destroy Roxas and let all the things he took from Sora (his original body+soul & stray memories) return naturally?

Wouldn't Roxas just have been broken down and reabsorbed back into Sora upon destruction like we see with recompletion?
The heart, Sora's, was already freed of it's darkness so you'd think destroying Roxas would've just cause the two halves to reassemble or in this case assimilate back into Sora.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
That's a good question. Maybe DIZ and Riku did it out of mercy? Perhaps Riku felt that killing Roxas in cold blood was too cruel and convinced Diz to let Roxas live out his final days in happiness before he had to remerge with Sora. Which is why they wanted to capture him and put him in the data town rather than killing him on the spot. That's the best explaination I can come up with.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
KH'2 reasoning for putting Roxas in the position he end up in is really iffy imo (it's really a butt ton of extra work for no reason) but I think it can be chalked up to Ansem not being able to deny what he knew. He already knew that Roxas and Naminé were unique and could possibly have hearts making them real people, but he was blinded by prejudice.

By letting Roxas live the remainder of his life in the DTT without being the wiser, Ansem could both give Roxas a "peaceful death" and wipe off any guilt he felt. Or at least, it could be surmised that he thought he could sleep a little better at night by doing things that way.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
This just came onto my mind. What if Xemnas finally accomplished what he wanted to do with Roxas and then he assimilated with Sora?

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
Perhaps Riku disagreed. As the one to capture Roxas, he might've refused to destroy him because that's just not the kind of person he is. I mean, it was the Nobody of his best friend concerned. Perhaps keeping Roxas alive for a bit was a sort've deal that they made. Riku was willing to do ANYTHING for Sora, but he certainly isn't a killer, and the idea probably disgusts him now.

DiZ could've just felt as though this was a way to make amends, like the others have said.

Both had a rocky past but we're willing to do anything to get Sora back on his feet. It's possible that neither of them was willing to do away with Roxas if they felt it wasn't truly necessary.

Perhaps Roxas' reassimilation into Sora was a wild card? Because of Sora's position, they might've been wary of how to treat the situation safely depending on just what DiZ knew.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I thought that because Namine made a trainwreck out of Sora's memories, there would need to be Roxas' memories properly filed back into Sora. If Roxas just got killed and all the memories flowed back in as a lump sum, it'd be such an overload and harder for Namine to work, right?

Gram

Banned
Awards
I thought that because Namine made a trainwreck out of Sora's memories, there would need to be Roxas' memories properly filed back into Sora. If Roxas just got killed and all the memories flowed back in as a lump sum, it'd be such an overload and harder for Namine to work, right?

A bit of yes and no. All the memories would be jumbled but at the same time they'd be there for Namine to fix. It's the same result either way.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
I get the impression that Xion might have been a different case, given that she was a replica. Or perhaps Roxas and Sora rejoining was just considered a good idea? I mean, to DiZ, Roxas was Sora's body, he might very well have thought it was better that he got it back.

But I had a better idea while I was typing. It's really kind of obvious when you think about it: I'm also not 100% sure DiZ knew that killing Xion brought the memories back in the first place. After all, no one remembers her, and so no one remembers her dying and the memories shooting back into place! I presume that whatever Namine is doing to Roxas in KH2, outside of the simulation, is what she was planning on doing to Xion, until things went south.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I'm also not 100% sure DiZ knew Xion was dead at the time. After all, no one remembers her, and so no one remembers her dying and the memories shooting back into place! I presume that whatever Namine is doing to Roxas in KH2, outside of the simulation, is what she was planning on doing to Xion, until things went south.
Hmm...but it's that fact right there that shows the same would've worked for both no?
Roxas was Sora's nobody so it'd only be more natural for whatever he had to return to Sora upon destruction. Xion was just a replica and even then the memories she took and her heart as well went back to Sora.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Hmm...but it's that fact right there that shows the same would've worked for both no?
Roxas was Sora's nobody so it'd only be more natural for whatever he had to return to Sora upon destruction. Xion was just a replica and even then the memories she took and her heart as well went back to Sora.

You're right that it would have worked (as far as we can tell), but my key point is that they didn't know that. The only example they have of killing the Nobody restoring the memories is Xion, and they don't remember that happening.

Sora's a unique case, they can't know these facts ahead of time. Since their only test case has been erased from history, for all they know, killing Roxas will cost them the memories entirely.

Gram

Banned
Awards
But you're missing my key point: they didn't know that. The only example they have of killing the Nobody restoring the memories is Xion, and they don't remember that happening. Sora's a unique case, they can't know these facts ahead of time, and their only test case has been erased from history. For all they know, killing Roxas will cost them the memories entirely.

I didn't miss your point. Whether they remember or not isn't really important, the fact remains it was the initial plan which means if it worked for one it may for both.
Xion isn't a nobody so that's not even an example. Xion is a replica. The example of killing a nobody and the human gaining the memories is seen in the apprentices, Isa and Lea. They remember everything.
Highly doubtful cause Sora and Roxas were linked. Namine herself said memories can't really be destroyed, just not recalled. And if they can't be destroyed they naturally must go somewhere.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Xion had to go because at that point she was too tethered into Sora's memories. It wasn't like with just Roxas where she had captured them, her existence was created from those memories, that's why when she's gone there's nothing left of her to remember because at that point she'd become the embodiment of Sora's memories.

If Roxas had been destroyed, I guess it's possible the memories would have been freed, but since Roxas was Sora's nobody and Sora was returned to a humanoid state without the recompletion process...it's iffy. I can't say for certainty what would have happened to Roxas's essence. It's possible it would have entered into an indefinite state of suspension because the recompletion process was hijacked and Roxas's essence may not have been able to automatically return to the whole as a result. Not to mention Ven's heart makes the whole thing entirely uncharted territory. If I were Ansem I wouldn't have wanted to risk it.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I just figure Ansem wasn't sure if Sora's memories would return or not if Roxas was killed, so he was sent to the digital Twilight Town, with the rest of Sora's memory restoration being done gradually instead.
But now I'm thinking about the digital Twilight Town. Why did Ansem send Roxas there when he could just put him in another pod or one of those smaller ones that Donald and Goofy were in?
I'm now thinking that having Roxas alive was so Ansem could do some research on the Nobodies while he had one. It may also be that, for whatever reason, Ansem figured altering Roxas' mind and having him live in the digital Twilight Town would prepare him for assimilation, or something.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
But now I'm thinking about the digital Twilight Town. Why did Ansem send Roxas there when he could just put him in another pod or one of those smaller ones that Donald and Goofy were in?

That's another good question. What Diz did to Roxas with the false friends and Twilight Town was far more cruel than just leaving him asleep in a pod.
He gave Roxas what he wanted and then took it away. That right there is a form of torment that I imagine would hurt far worse than just being destroyed or placed asleep in a pod.

Xehanort-X-blade

keyblade graveyard waiting for the war to begin
That's another good question. What Diz did to Roxas with the false friends and Twilight Town was far more cruel than just leaving him asleep in a pod.
He gave Roxas what he wanted and then took it away. That right there is a form of torment that I imagine would hurt far worse than just being destroyed or placed asleep in a pod.
that's the reason why i hate ansem the wise first he make trouble for roxas and he said to namine your not allowed to existed what the hell that's cruel he deserves what xehanort did to him

Ruran

Awards
To be fair, Roxas wasn't supposed to find out that he was in Digital Twilight Town. It was the Org's. interfering that let him on to it. I don't know how Ansem would have approached the situation if Roxas never found out, but I don't think he would have antagonized him. Since the cat was out of the bag anyway Ansem seemed to just roll with it.

Gram

Banned
Awards
To be fair, Roxas wasn't supposed to find out that he was in Digital Twilight Town. It was the Org's. interfering that let him on to it. I don't know how Ansem would have approached the situation if Roxas never found out, but I don't think he would have antagonized him. Since the cat was out of the bag anyway Ansem seemed to just roll with it.

That only goes so far though because Diz would've eventually revealed it himself. He wanted Roxas to merge with Sora right? The TwilightTown.exe was just a diversion till it was all ready.

Last edited:

Ruran

Awards
That only goes so far though because Diz would've eventually revealed it himself. He wanted Roxas to merge with Sora. The TwilightTown.exe was just a diversion till it was all ready.

That's the part I'm not sure how Ansem would have approached. I don't think Roxas needed to make a conscious effort to fuse with Sora, just be in the same area for long enough. If that's the case Roxas still wouldn't have needed to know what was happening. It would have been as easy as knocking Roxas out, taking him to Sora, then letting things run there course.

Gram

Banned
Awards
That's the part I'm not sure how Ansem would have approached. I don't think Roxas needed to make a conscious effort to fuse with Sora, just be in the same area for long enough. If that's the case Roxas still wouldn't have needed to know what was happening. It would have been as easy as knocking Roxas out, taking him to Sora, then letting things run there course.

That's possible. Namine started phasing in and out when next to Kairi to long. (though Namine isn't exactly normal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back