• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why aren't Goofy and Donald Keyblade wielders?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards
What has always perplexed me is that despite how many times they have proven themselves in the series to have strong hearts and stuck by Sora since day one, they never obtained the power of the Keyblade. It was even mentioned and joked about twice in KH3 as I recall. After all the insurmountable odds they helped Sora conquer such as the Titans, a Greek God, a Kraken, a giant sea witch, a sorceress/dragon, a powerful evil Genie, the Organization members, and multiple forms of Xehanort, you would think at some point they would be granted the power of the Keyblade. Meanwhile Axel and Kairi train for a little while and suddenly they become "masters". That never sat well for me at all. Is there some special qualifications I am not aware of that constitutes you becoming a Keyblade Wielder? I know it wouldn't be the same with Goofy not having his shield and Donald without the wand, but is that really it? It's just purely an aesthetic thing as to why they can't have a Keyblade? Why not let them dual wield? Goofy with a shield in one hand and a Keyblade in the other would look pretty badass actually. What are your thoughts on this?

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards
Riku is debatable, but yes much agreed on Kairi and Lea because them becoming Keybladers never amounted to anything really. D&G should have taken there places.

PStuder12321

What has always perplexed me is that despite how many times they have proven themselves in the series to have strong hearts and stuck by Sora since day one, they never obtained the power of the Keyblade. It was even mentioned and joked about twice in KH3 as I recall. After all the insurmountable odds they helped Sora conquer such as the Titans, a Greek God, a Kraken, a giant sea witch, a sorceress/dragon, a powerful evil Genie, the Organization members, and multiple forms of Xehanort, you would think at some point they would be granted the power of the Keyblade. Meanwhile Axel and Kairi train for a little while and suddenly they become "masters". That never sat well for me at all. Is there some special qualifications I am not aware of that constitutes you becoming a Keyblade Wielder? I know it wouldn't be the same with Goofy not having his shield and Donald without the wand, but is that really it? It's just purely an aesthetic thing as to why they can't have a Keyblade? Why not let them dual wield? Goofy with a shield in one hand and a Keyblade in the other would look pretty badass actually. What are your thoughts on this?

There's too damn many wielders as is. Riku/Kairi/Lea never should've become one.

So a couple of things but overall the main one. Goofy and Donald are after all. DISNEY characters. So one... copy right... if disney says no to them being keyblade weilders then disney says no. and disney only approved of Mickey cause he is the king. HOWEVER. Even if disney said yes, Key blade weilders are specific people chosen to play roles, as guardians. Goofy and Donald, have no interest in THIS SET ROLE. their goal is simple, help Sora and above all else, the KING. The only reason they joined Sora in the first place is because mickey told them to. Furthermore, Mickey has a keyblade cause as the king it is his responsibility to protect his kingdom thus he holds the role as guardian. Donald and Goofy have no real reason to hold that role cause at the end of the day, their prime job and goal is to just protect the king. At which point they have their own set of weapons designed for just that, wand and sheild. Both their weapons are symbolic of their goals and what they hold special in their hearts. No disney character aside from the king really has any reason to uptake the goal to become a guardian.

EVEN FURTHER MORE. If you remember, Kairi Riku and Sora have very set reasons for getting their keyblades, Remember Ven Aqua and Terra? The keyblade must be passed down. Ven passed his to Sora, Terra his to Riku, Aqua's to Kairi. No one has passed them down to Goofy or Donald and honestly none of them have reason to. The king.. sure he could... he'd pick one.... which one would become a ugly debate... and on top of that why would he chose one over the other? further more, again, he has no real reason to as that is not Goofy and Donalds goal or purpose. Their interest is to protect the king.

As for Riku Kairi Lea becoming keyblade weilders...no....Riku makes complete sense lol. Why would Riku NOT have a keyblade? Did you forget Riku was the main candidate for the keyblade? Sora got the main Keyblade only because Riku fell to darkness, otherwise Riku would have been the major player not Sora and Sora would have been the side character. I feel you saying Riku shouldnt have a keyblade is like... forgetting the whole first game and all its addon's KH1-KH1.8.

As for Kairi... No... Kairi makes sense. specially with where the game is heading.. one she was passed it down from Aqua, two she is a princess of heart and thus qualifying her more then most, to become a guardian.. honestly... the crappy part of Kairi... is that they didn't give her one sooner... As she remained way to weak way to long. Thankfully they fixed that and are now from the looks of it moving towards a SRK format in the future games. (much to my hope. as ive said else where and will say again, the series has a LOT to benefit from moving to SRK over SDG.) Kairi needed a keyblade and hopefully will continue to grow more as a character in future games.

As for Lea... he kinda became a part fo the main crew, you could debate his keyblade though tbh. As a member of the orginization he was worthy of one and strong enough for one.. but honestly... I think it's just cause hes such a cool character that holds such a large fanbase that they gave him one. as honestly, there isnt a lot backing him up for one tbhh, other then they needed another guardian of light. Not that im actually against him getting one. he is an important part of the team, and plus with him being so closely tied to Roxas and Xion both who are keyblade weilders, it does fit for him to have one so he can better assist his friends.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
So a couple of things but overall the main one. Goofy and Donald are after all. DISNEY characters. So one... copy right... if disney says no to them being keyblade weilders then disney says no. and disney only approved of Mickey cause he is the king. HOWEVER. Even if disney said yes, Key blade weilders are specific people chosen to play roles, as guardians. Goofy and Donald, have no interest in THIS SET ROLE. their goal is simple, help Sora and above all else, the KING. The only reason they joined Sora in the first place is because mickey told them to. Furthermore, Mickey has a keyblade cause as the king it is his responsibility to protect his kingdom thus he holds the role as guardian. Donald and Goofy have no real reason to hold that role cause at the end of the day, their prime job and goal is to just protect the king. At which point they have their own set of weapons designed for just that, wand and sheild. Both their weapons are symbolic of their goals and what they hold special in their hearts. No disney character aside from the king really has any reason to uptake the goal to become a guardian.

EVEN FURTHER MORE. If you remember, Kairi Riku and Sora have very set reasons for getting their keyblades, Remember Ven Aqua and Terra? The keyblade must be passed down. Ven passed his to Sora, Terra his to Riku, Aqua's to Kairi. No one has passed them down to Goofy or Donald and honestly none of them have reason to. The king.. sure he could... he'd pick one.... which one would become a ugly debate... and on top of that why would he chose one over the other? further more, again, he has no real reason to as that is not Goofy and Donalds goal or purpose. Their interest is to protect the king.

As for Riku Kairi Lea becoming keyblade weilders...no....Riku makes complete sense lol. Why would Riku NOT have a keyblade? Did you forget Riku was the main candidate for the keyblade? Sora got the main Keyblade only because Riku fell to darkness, otherwise Riku would have been the major player not Sora and Sora would have been the side character. I feel you saying Riku shouldnt have a keyblade is like... forgetting the whole first game and all its addon's KH1-KH1.8.

As for Kairi... No... Kairi makes sense. specially with where the game is heading.. one she was passed it down from Aqua, two she is a princess of heart and thus qualifying her more then most, to become a guardian.. honestly... the crappy part of Kairi... is that they didn't give her one sooner... As she remained way to weak way to long. Thankfully they fixed that and are now from the looks of it moving towards a SRK format in the future games. (much to my hope. as ive said else where and will say again, the series has a LOT to benefit from moving to SRK over SDG.) Kairi needed a keyblade and hopefully will continue to grow more as a character in future games.

As for Lea... he kinda became a part fo the main crew, you could debate his keyblade though tbh. As a member of the orginization he was worthy of one and strong enough for one.. but honestly... I think it's just cause hes such a cool character that holds such a large fanbase that they gave him one. as honestly, there isnt a lot backing him up for one tbhh, other then they needed another guardian of light. Not that im actually against him getting one. he is an important part of the team, and plus with him being so closely tied to Roxas and Xion both who are keyblade weilders, it does fit for him to have one so he can better assist his friends.
You act like BBS was set in stone before KH2 even released. Riku & Kairi had to have keyblades because of Terra & Aqua? Puh-lease, Terra & Aqua were barely a vague concept in Nomura's head at the time. You're bringing up plot points written after the fact: Riku & Kairi got keyblades without explanation and THEN Nomura figured out what the explanation was 2 games later. The obvious alternative is that Riku & Kairi DON'T get keyblades & those scenes in BBS DON'T happen to begin with. That's how writing works, mate.

Riku's fall to the darkness was over jealousy of Sora having a keyblade & being the designated hero of the worlds. Riku's character development after that should be about him getting over that desire as part of his road to redemption. But instead, they cop-out & give him 1 of his own anyway.

Also, Souleater's a cooler weapon.

Kairi is a Princess of Light & could very well have had a fighting style based on utilizing that power. After all, it'll never happen with the Disney princesses so Kairi is basically the only PoL Square can utilize but nope, yet another keyblade wielder with yet another keyblade moveset.

Axel was someone with a distinctive weapon & a distinctive fighting style & then he became keyblader #52, yet another in the pile. This series keeps acting like gaining a keyblade is some sort of promotion or upgrade for a character when it so often to make them less unique than they were before.

Oh & another thing...
The king.. sure he could... he'd pick one.... which one would become a ugly debate... and on top of that why would he chose one over the other?
When was it ever said a master could only bequeath to one? Eraqus had 2 apprentices before Ven, Yen Sid gave a keyblade to Lea despite already having 1 apprentice & it's kinda implied the 5 foretellers recruited everyone in their respective unions. Seems to me there's no inherent headcount limit. Mickey, Riku, & Yen Sid could've spent their time building an army instead of only getting 7 dudes.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
You act like BBS was set in stone before KH2 even released. Riku & Kairi had to have keyblades because of Terra & Aqua? Puh-lease, Terra & Aqua were barely a vague concept in Nomura's head at the time. You're bringing up plot points written after the fact: Riku & Kairi got keyblades without explanation and THEN Nomura figured out what the explanation was 2 games later. The obvious alternative is that Riku & Kairi DON'T get keyblades & those scenes in BBS DON'T happen to begin with. That's how writing works, mate.

Riku's fall to the darkness was over jealousy of Sora having a keyblade & being the designated hero of the worlds. Riku's character development after that should be about him getting over that desire as part of his road to redemption. But instead, they cop-out & give him 1 of his own anyway.

Also, Souleater's a cooler weapon.

Kairi is a Princess of Light & could very well have had a fighting style based on utilizing that power. After all, it'll never happen with the Disney princesses so Kairi is basically the only PoL Square can utilize but nope, yet another keyblade wielder with yet another keyblade moveset.

Axel was someone with a distinctive weapon & a distinctive fighting style & then he became keyblader #52, yet another in the pile. This series keeps acting like gaining a keyblade is some sort of promotion or upgrade for a character when it so often to make them less unique than they were before.

Oh & another thing...

When was it ever said a master could only bequeath to one? Eraqus had 2 apprentices before Ven, Yen Sid gave a keyblade to Lea despite already having 1 apprentice & it's kinda implied the 5 foretellers recruited everyone in their respective unions. Seems to me there's no inherent headcount limit. Mickey, Riku, & Yen Sid could've spent their time building an army instead of only getting 7 dudes.
I believe in the KH1 Ultimania, it was explained that the Keyblade was going to appear in Riku's hand on Destiny Islands before the world fell,, but since he fell to darkness right then and there it appeared in Sora's instead. Then later, it went back to Riku briefly (after Riku learned he was supposed to be it's wielder,, presumably from Maleficent), then lost it again when Sora proved that he had the stronger heart.

Riku was always meant to wield the Keyblade. It wasn't until after defeating Ansem and claiming his dark power as his and his alone in Chain of Memories that he earned "his" back. Or at least the ability to hold and use one, as he took one of Roxas's keyblades to fight him in Days. Then he gained one fully in KH2,, presumably once Ansem's form was purged from him by Ansem the Wise's Kingdom Hearts Encoder exploding.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I see where people are coming from with the too many Keyblade thing, the problem for me isn't that there is too many Keyblades. It's just they all serve the same function with little to no differences. I mean look at the Jedi Order in Star Wars. All Jedi have a lightsaber but how they use them is different, even if all result in combat.

Why don't Donald and Goofy have Keyblades? Honestly they don't need them. One thing that dreaded Terranort scene did right was show how competent Donald and Goofy are in battle. They blasted and blocked Terranort while three 'masters' sat around being useless. However there is a issue of worthiness. You mean to tell me someone like Larxene was worthy but Donald and Goofy aren't? WTF.

Then you have issues like the terrible way Kairi got her Keyblade, yet Jack Sparrow does exactly the same and he still doesn't have one. I might as well touch on that, I never cared for Kairi having a Keyblade. I wish they had expanded on her PoH powers instead, but I don't mind her having one because at least she became playable from it. I just wish the origin was better then how it went.

Then there is Lea, who got one because he's popular. I've warmed up (lol) to Lea having a Keyblade mainly because of the DDD novel where he earns it, but he truly did not need one, his old weapons are way cooler.

As for everyone else. Roxas and Xion have Sora's hand-me-downs and fakes of his weapons. They wield based on him, but I would be curious if they developed strong enough hearts to wield independent of him. TAV inherited Keyblades and are the closest thing to doing something different with Keyblades. Does anyone know where Vanitas's Keyblade comes from? Doesn't look like one of Ven's but I don't play BBS that often so I dunno.

And finally Riku. Riku earned his Keyblade and next to Sora is the most worthy to wield one imo. Oh and Mickey is the mascot, he'll wield whether he's worthy of one or not.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Try as I might I just cant picture Donald and Goofy with anything other than a staff or shield. Which is funny cause I can see Namine with a keyblade and she isnt a fighter.

They dont need them. KH3 showed they can be important characters without them. That was perfectly demonstrated with the first Terranort encounter as Sweetyetsalty pointed out

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I believe in the KH1 Ultimania, it was explained that the Keyblade was going to appear in Riku's hand on Destiny Islands before the world fell,, but since he fell to darkness right then and there it appeared in Sora's instead. Then later, it went back to Riku briefly (after Riku learned he was supposed to be it's wielder,, presumably from Maleficent), then lost it again when Sora proved that he had the stronger heart.

Riku was always meant to wield the Keyblade. It wasn't until after defeating Ansem and claiming his dark power as his and his alone in Chain of Memories that he earned "his" back. Or at least the ability to hold and use one, as he took one of Roxas's keyblades to fight him in Days. Then he gained one fully in KH2,, presumably once Ansem's form was purged from him by Ansem the Wise's Kingdom Hearts Encoder exploding.

Keyblades don't care if its wielder is aligned with light or darkness, it's all about strength of heart. In this case, Riku became physically unavailable in the exact moment the Kingdom Key would have materialized for him. Sora, who reached out and touched Riku's light, was able to gain the power to wield and temporary ownership of this Keyblade. For most of the game, it technically still belonged to Riku, which was why he was able to take it from Sora so easily in Traverse Town, and then subsequently in Hollow Bastion. Once Sora proved his own heart stronger, the Kingdom Key itself chose him over its intended wielder.

But despite losing his original Keyblade, Riku never lost the ability to wield one. He'd been established as a wielder from the very beginning, so it was inevitable that he'd someday get one to truly call his own.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Keyblades don't care if its wielder is aligned with light or darkness, it's all about strength of heart. In this case, Riku became physically unavailable in the exact moment the Kingdom Key would have materialized for him. Sora, who reached out and touched Riku's light, was able to gain the power to wield and temporary ownership of this Keyblade. For most of the game, it technically still belonged to Riku, which was why he was able to take it from Sora so easily in Traverse Town, and then subsequently in Hollow Bastion. Once Sora proved his own heart stronger, the Kingdom Key itself chose him over its intended wielder.

But despite losing his original Keyblade, Riku never lost the ability to wield one. He'd been established as a wielder from the very beginning, so it was inevitable that he'd someday get one to truly call his own.
Thanks for the clarification! That is what I meant to say. Riku was always going to be a wielder, always meant to have the Keyblade. I was trying to correct the thought process that he was just "given" it out of nowhere in KH2, or that it somehow didn't make sense until Terra's bequeathing in BBS when in fact it does since KH1.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
What I would like to see is keyblades inspired by Donald and Goofy for Sora to wield. And whenever Sora uses them he gains their abilities(Zettaflare, Goofy Tornado, etc)

SuperNova

Awards
I think the only reason Mickey got a keyblade is because he's The King/Disney's mascot. They didn't want any of their Disney characters wielding actual weapons so a giant key shaped sword and shield/staff happened instead.

Its really ironic that the one guy who wasn't "meant" to get a keyblade (Sora) ends up being one of the only ones who deserves a keyblade considering Kairi's and Lea's were cop-outs. Riku I don't feel opposed to having a keyblade considering they established his importance from all the way back in KH1.

D

Deleted member 252753

I am happy with Goofy and Donald not having keyblades, lore aside. It suits their role as the comical companions of the hero that they have less powerful weapons and I think it actually makes them more endearing how they never waiver in fighting for Sora and their friends despite being at a major disadvantage.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
What I would like to see is keyblades inspired by Donald and Goofy for Sora to wield. And whenever Sora uses them he gains their abilities(Zettaflare, Goofy Tornado, etc)
That sounds really cool, so long as Zettaflare doesn't result in a game over for Sora after using it lol.

PStuder12321

You act like BBS

trimmed because making multiple replys. but in short...Matgy your just salty, sorry you feel that way... but that is the canon answer..wether you like it or not... that was Nomura's reasoning. Im not gonna argue personal interest with you.

well put, that explains Riku about perfectly.

I see where people are coming from with the too many Keyblade thing, t
Again cut as making multiple replies.
So Venitas got his through being apart of Ven. however Xehanort was the one who gave him it in the Keyblade graveyard when he first pulled him from Ven.
Also yeah I would like to see more variety of powers amongst the keyblades.

Which is funny cause I can see Namine with a keyblade and she isnt a fighter.

lol Namine <3 though it'd be a bit of a stretch if she got one. shes done a lot for the team but shes more of a support role for sure.

Foxycian

Awards
We don’t need that, not everyone has to have a keyblade it will ruin the story if every friend of the main characters has this weapon.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
If Donald and Goofy were to get Keyblades however, I imagine Goofy would have a Olympus like one with Counterguard abilities and never take damage, while Donald has one that has MP haste or something like that lol.

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards
At the rate this series is going I wouldn't be surprised (nor amused either) that Namine, Isa (Saix), Hayner, Pence, and Olette all get Keyblades too. It's already a " Keyblade Bargain Sale" with Axel (Lea) and Kairi obtaining them in the most unconvincing ways. I am willing to buy into Roxas and Xion having them since they were apart of Sora. Likewise that applies to Aqua, Ven, and Terra since they were all masters in training, and chronologically have been keyblade wielders long before Sora and Riku became so. For me personally Mickey hasn't really displayed much to deserve it, but since he is THE Disney mascot and all that, he has to receive special treatment.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree that Lea and especially Kairi didn't need Keyblades. They should've made Kairi able to use her PoH powers in combat the way Minnie has light powers. They could do something similar with Namine. And Lea could've used fire powers and his chakrams. Riku, I'm fine with having a Keyblade although I liked his old, batwing weapon. Him getting a Keyblade means he's overcome his past mistakes.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Kairi becoming a wielder I thought would be a natural step considering her male friends both fight with them. At least, that was my thought process post-KH1. She was too spunky and adventurous to fit being the stay-at-home love interest. When KH2 began, her speaking about waiting not being good enough meant that they were heading that way and something will happen wherein she summons a Keyblade of her own (rather, the Keyblade chose her as worthy).

So you know, they had a good thing going, and then they just...completely dropped the ball in the most confusing manner.

Riku: oh hey a keyblade popped out of nowhere in my hand here kairi I think this is yours but i have no reason why except that it's super girly and tacky
Kairi: okay cool thanks [tickles Heartless]

They really had me on the first half.

Kairi's issue wasn't that she got a Keyblade, it was the execution of it.

Axel/Lea's issue is that he didn't need one, period. This takes the cake as the most forced, bullshit method of a character getting a Keyblade and that still stands until Isa gets one. And it comes off as forced bullshit because we all know it was due to him being some staff favorite and that he's popular. And in my personal opinion now, utterly overrated.

Nomura was actually out of touch enough to attempt to excuse it as it being more than that by some obvious excuse that he "needs it to bring his friends back" when in the end, he had nothing to do with their return and it was Saïx that was doing the work for him. Keyblade-less. It's even more daunting when...he still uses his chakrams and does better with them. Like...what was even the point of all this.

Naminè, like Kairi, seems to be a natural progression. She's the Nobody of a wielder (or bequeathed wielder) and was helped into existence by another wielder (Sora). By all technicalities and lore possible, she should have gotten one before Lea ever did. And he should have never did, but that's already been established. And Nomura isn't gifted enough to have the writing capability to do anything with supporting characters and chooses to blatantly isolate them further, as KH3 showed (and as every other game with Kairi showed). But then again, common sense dictates that even a novice would know that a character being an outlier out of all the trio this and trio that festing nonsense would be better interacting with the main cast more instead of making her further of an outlier by chucking her into some Riku Replica arc...who has nothing to do with the cast except Riku.

Last edited:
Back