• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why are there even new princesses of heart?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veevee

Awards
Hey guys,
I really hope this is not too dumb a question, maybe it has already been answered somewhere, somehow, but since I try to avoid too grave spoilers about KH3 but couldn't avoid this news, I'd love to get an answer to this: Why are there new princesses of heart in KH3? I know that the series never stated that there were only those seven Xehanort was chasing down in KH1, but as far as I understood DDD, Xehanort needs 7 lights to clash with 13 darknesses so he can successfully forge the x-blade. So, to avoid that Xehanort targets the 7 original princesses that don't really have any combat experience thus cannot really defend themselves, our good guys try to gather seven light guardians they can shove in front to protect the princesses, Xehanort is happy anyway because it doesn't matter to him which lights clash with his darknesses and everyone does what he or she does best. This is how I understood it, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
So, I get why we need new princesses gameplay-wise (so we can visit new worlds), but which explanation does it have plot-wise not to target the old ones again, thus not bothering with looking all around the worlds to find new candidates when Xehanort is still kinda busy finding enough suitable candidates for his darknesses?
Explanations are appreciated. :)

D

Deleted member 246005

Misdirection.

Xehanort doesn't care about the new princess of hearts. He just wants Sora to go on a wild goose chase.

Curiosity.

Xehanort doesnt know how the princess of hearts powers are passed on or if there can be more than 7. So he seeks them out to figure it out.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
According to Nomura the old PoH were succeeded somehow. Xehanort must of realized the old ones were useless to him and thus sought out their replacements. As to how they were succeeded is unknown, though it may of had to do with holding back the darkness in Hollow Bastion(which Kairi was notably absent from)

Last edited:

ImVentus

Awards
Realistically, I believe it's a creative's decision to bank in on the more recent and popular princesses of this generation. Easily market for younger demographics such as Frozen & Moana. I have feeling Moana could still show up somehow, cameo whatnot.

Option 2: Probably ran out of ideas for the original princesses, most of their stories had come to a close.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Realistically, I believe it's a creative's decision to bank in on the more recent and popular princesses of this generation. Easily market for younger demographics such as Frozen & Moana. I have feeling Moana could still show up somehow, cameo whatnot.

Option 2: Probably ran out of ideas for the original princesses, most of their stories had come to a close.

That's actually a good point. The new princess of heart are kind of a product of KH3 focusing on recent, newer films for worlds when you think about it.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
It does make sense a bit from a story perspective to me. I always figured that there had to be other PoH before the Snow White generation, so it makes sense that there would be after as well.

Ive also considered an FFXIII-LR scenario where these seven Princesses will serve as replacements for the old ones in his new world.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
According to Nomura the old PoH were succeeded somehow. Xehanort must of realized the old ones were useless to him and thus sought out their replacements. As to how the were succedded is unknown l, though it may of had to do with holding back the darkness in Hollow Bastion(which Kairi was notably absent from)

That's the first non marketing-induced explanation that makes sense to me, and the only one to properly address the Kairi issue.

theheroofdarknes

Website
theheroofdarkness.deviantart.com
I actually used to publish something adressing this very matter, then which can ultimately be found here (it's part of a longer read-through series):

https://www.deviantart.com/theheroo...dom-Hearts-3-Plot-Part-II-Continued-750017000

The short version of same one basically falls way back to the times of the 1st game heavily involving the cutscene where Maleficent basically 'raped' the other Princesses of Heart to prematurely open the Final Keyhole, where the 'pure-light' qualities of same Princesses would ultimately be transferred over into same newer generation in response to same action now (even with same original Princesses still recovering their hearts in themselves) (as for the reason Kairi still maintains her overall 'Princess of Light' state in spite of, one has to keep in mind how things ultimately developed further after afromentioned scene)

That being the gist of it, though it's definitely better explained within same survey, ultimately. ^^;

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
That's actually a good point. The new princess of heart are kind of a product of KH3 focusing on recent, newer films for worlds when you think about it.

Kingdom Hearts as a franchise has always been a product stuck with the 2000's. Featuring CG feature films and redesigning who should be the heroes and villains provides a fresh coat of paint to an otherwise popular franchise that's too comfortable with decade old arcs.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards

This has to be the answer. The series demands new worlds and has little to no room for any more sub plots; this is the most efficient way to keep the PoH relevant.

According to Nomura the old PoH were succeeded somehow. Xehanort must of realized the old ones were useless to him and thus sought out their replacements. As to how they were succeeded is unknown, though it may of had to do with holding back the darkness in Hollow Bastion(which Kairi was notably absent from)

But Kairi supposedly was trying to hold back the darkness on DI until she collapsed and lost her heart

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I wonder if the old PoH might have been succeeded because they were used to open the door and create a Keyblade in KH1? Kairi's heart wasn't used to create the Keyblade Ansem/Riku fights Sora with because she was inside Sora at the time, so perhaps that will be the explanation for Kairi being the exception?

But the real reason is the same reason 90% of the worlds are properties/franchises from the last 5-10 years--marketing. Disney probably demanded they focus on their new IPs and find some way to push the Disney Princess line while they were at it.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
My main question in regards to the new princess is what purpose will they serve in the story? Will they be used to create the Key to return hearts as a sort of counterpart to the keyblade Ansem created?

Veevee

Awards
My main question in regards to the new princess is what purpose will they serve in the story? Will they be used to create the Key to return hearts as a sort of counterpart to the keyblade Ansem created?

I never interpreted the key to return hearts as an actual key(blade), but as a skill to be learned, a skill that kinda unlocks if you did enough of the same stuff in DDD. Otherwise there would've been no purpose in Yen Sid's MoM test to send Sora and Riku to gain the key to return hearts since there weren't many princesses around in DDD, but since the series has yet been so vague about it, it might as well be a physical key.

theheroofdarknes

Website
I wonder if the old PoH might have been succeeded because they were used to open the door and create a Keyblade in KH1? Kairi's heart wasn't used to create the Keyblade Ansem/Riku fights Sora with because she was inside Sora at the time, so perhaps that will be the explanation for Kairi being the exception?

But the real reason is the same reason 90% of the worlds are properties/franchises from the last 5-10 years--marketing. Disney probably demanded they focus on their new IPs and find some way to push the Disney Princess line while they were at it.

Exactly.

Unlikely. Wouldn't fit the good guys' style merging them together as Ansem did. Ensure their protection, sure, but that?

B'sides, the Key to Return Hearts, while related to the same origin as the Princesses, doesn't automatically mean it's supposedly born out of them or that it even has to be created in the first place.

It does serve as counterpart to Ansem's Keyblade and belongs within the same category as mentioned in MX's report (as in Keyblades of Heart) for certain, but doesn't indicate it to follow the same pattern as the former when it comes to its state of existence, like, say, the Kingdom Key D that also was already there in the Realm of Darkness for Mickey to find without having been in need for it to be forged beforehand.

How same Keyblade will ultimately fit into the narrative remains to be seen yet, but at the same time, while still logical, would still feel a bit reduntant if SDG would just play fetchers in regards to the new PoH, again, so Yen Sid could project same Keyblade out of them, in the end (aside of, again, most likely not fitting their style anyway).

The most likely course of action for them is simply to serve as something like a foreboding presence in general in the sense of putting pressure upon the heroes to get their act together and ensure their protection on the sidelines, lest the Xehanort-faction could achieve a cheap quick win once completing their ranks for real - at least in theory it does sound as tensely as the situation in general already is in-universe. ^^;

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I never interpreted the key to return hearts as an actual key(blade), but as a skill to be learned, a skill that kinda unlocks if you did enough of the same stuff in DDD. Otherwise there would've been no purpose in Yen Sid's MoM test to send Sora and Riku to gain the key to return hearts since there weren't many princesses around in DDD, but since the series has yet been so vague about it, it might as well be a physical key.

Well, not all that vague.

Xehanort's Report 6 in Birth by Sleep:

The third type of key, the Keyblade of heart, came into existence when the World was reorganized after the Keyblade War. Without this key, Kingdom Hearts is forever beyond a person's reach. Only by gathering seven hearts of pure light--hearts completely devoid of darkness--may one forge a Keyblade of heart and open the door to Kingdom Hearts.
Dream Drop Distance's Glossary about Keyblades:
All Keyblades have one of three natures: light, darkness, or heart. These last two are exceptional; most documented Keyblades, including Sora's and Riku's, are Keyblades of light.

The Key to Return Hearts is definitely a Keyblade, but its effect can also be a power. Yen Sid sends Sora and Riku to gain the power, whereas Ansem tried to forge the Keyblade.
It's like finding a staff that casts fireballs or learning the actual Fireball spell on your own.

Unlikely. Wouldn't fit the good guys' style merging them together as Ansem did. Ensure their protection, sure, but that?

Yeah. I never thought of that as the good guys will try to forge that Key, but rather the bad guys again. I agree Sora and co will just try to protect them.
Who knows, maybe forging that Key is the only way for Ansem to wield a Keyblade or something.

B'sides, the Key to Return Hearts, while related to the same origin as the Princesses, doesn't automatically mean it's supposedly born out of them or that it even has to be created in the first place.

To be fair, it kinda does. Not only we do see the Key being shattered into the six hearts (meaning it was made out of them), Xehanort does say in the report that one needs to forge it out of the seven hearts.

Last edited:

theheroofdarknes

Website
To be fair, it kinda does. Not only we do see the Key being shattered into the six hearts (meaning it was made out of them), Xehanort does say in the report that one needs to forge it out of the seven hearts.

Its dark counterpart, yes and arguably the KtRH as well, but, again, it can still depend keeping Kingdom Key D in mind or, at least, that the KtRH does indeed require certain 'components', but that same components may not necessarily be from the PoH, but (alternatively) an entire different equivalent of same level of significance. *shrug*

Hirokey123

Awards
I don't see a reason to believe the key to returning hearts and the "keyblade of heart" are the same thing at all. Given how the powers of the keyblade tend to work it's much more likely IMO the key to return hearts is in essence somewhat of an abstract. That it's a power that can manifest through many forms be it the hearts of princesses, the keyblade, or just a person but only after the correct circumstances or a realization is made.

Remember how Riku was trapped in Sora's dreams the entire game up until he realized he was in those dreams, at which point he was able to freely leave them? Or how about when Data Sora fully realized himself and in doing so his blossomed heart was able to allow him to manipulate the data of the world to restore his keyblade? OR how about Namine's power where simply by changing a memory was able to transform Kairi's charm in to Namine's, and once Sora started to remember Kairi not Namine gave him the charm her magic breaks and it looks like Kairi's charm again. Heck how about how Sora just by sheer thought and feeling was able to rewrite Rinzler's code to turn him back into Tron, even though Tron is someone he never met.

The way I see it, in this universe to know things is to have power, KH's world I believe firmly runs off the idea that reality is a malleable thing that is shape by beliefs not a tangible thing independent of people. Abstract concepts can become physical and the physical can become abstract, a person can slip between a state of existing in the physical plane and transcend states to enter abstract planes in essence becoming thoughts themselves. A great example of that is Riku himself he existed on a physical plane, then entered in the dream planes, and in doing so quite literally transcends to a state of a living dream as he becomes a dream eater and their symbol appears on his back, bestowed by this reality, to represent that. Or you know how being a heart in a physical form means you're literally just a state of living emotions, memories, and connections to others.

So the key to returning hearts is probably a power the heart has, a power that's in all of us, it may even be tied to the power that the hearts have demonstrated to return to people from to the realm of light light. (Kairi turning Sora back from a heartless, the opening of the door to light, and the three good fairies leading Maleficent back from the realm of darkness via her cloak, etc...). But it's a power that can only be harnessed at will as opposed to subconsciously when you understand it.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I love how the OP specifically asked for plot reasons and the general consensus is still pretty much just, "Uh, Nomura got told to market stuff by New Disney."

I'm curious to know the thinking behind this explanation. I'm not sure I understand why the six Princesses exposed to darkness at Hollow Bastion would have a problem but Kairi, who was directly exposed to the heart of Destiny Islands as it fell to darkness, would not? (I believe it's also implied or stated somewhere in the canon that Kairi was in the Secret Place at that time because she was holding back the darkness at DI herself until she became too weak to go on, but I can't recall where so maybe not.)

Interesting thought. This sounds like something Nomura might run with; in particular I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed that Ansem SOD somehow tampered with the hearts of the Princesses he captured in the process of creating the Keyblade specifically to set up the New Princess subplot in KH3, because MX always has a plan within a plan and yadda yadda.

The entire plot of KH3 neatly summarized.
(Kidding. I hope.)

Xehanort's Report 6 in Birth by Sleep:

Dream Drop Distance's Glossary about Keyblades
Bit off topic, but has Nomura/the story ever clarified the nature of the X-Blade? Like if it's light, dark, heart...I would think it's the last one given the manner in which it's forged (at least Xehanort's method in BBS).
The Key to Return Hearts is definitely a Keyblade, but its effect can also be a power. Yen Sid sends Sora and Riku to gain the power, whereas Ansem tried to forge the Keyblade.
? Is the Key forged from the PoH in KH1 meant to be the Key to Return Hearts? That would actually be kind of cool, to have it weaved back into the story like that, but I had certainly never made the connection if that's the case haha. It would also make Sora the perfect candidate for this ability since he's already experienced the effects of having his heart unlocked firsthand.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Oh so Kairi held back the darkness on Destiny Island? It's been a while since I played KH1. Maybe it was the length of exposure? The six other ones could have been exposed to the darkness from Hollow Bastion's keyhole longer than Kairi was. Long enough that it tainted their hearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back