• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why Ansem?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

yamibakura

Why did xeharot takes his name at all?what did he gain from that?was it just to piss the real ansem or did it have some purpose?What was the point of changing identity?

axel95

Awards
He did it so his reports on his experiments (which AtW did not condone) could be recognized and also to shame his former master.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Honestly? There's no given reason. The best answer you could give is that it's due to retcon of information. In KH1 "Ansem" was supposedly a wise ruler gone bad.
When Nomura made KH1 a sequel wasn't for certain so he left it with room to have a sequel or to be a single game. He had concept ideas for KH2 but nothing concrete.

Then you get Kh1s surprising success and Chain of Memories. By the time you get to KH2 Nomura has ideas for Birth by Sleep and the concept of "Xehanort" thus "Ansem" is changed to not really being Ansem.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Also, I wonder how the people wouldn't know he was an imposter?

Gram

Banned
Awards

Depends on timeframe. Judging from the DDD opening Ansems betrayal wasn't likely long after that moment when the nobodies as formed and from there it depends on how long Xemnas and the others remained in the castle before leaving.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
*Apprenticenort blows up Radiant Garden* "Haha, it is I, Ansem, Seeker of Darkness, and not at all that Xehanort guy! Mmm'kay bye!
Squall: Ansem! How could our leader do such a thing!?
Aerith: Um, Squall? That was Xehanort.
Squall: No! That was definitely Ansem the Wise who did all this!
Aerith:....

EDIT: What Gram said.

And heck, we don't know the whole situation, so it could be anything from the other apprentices telling the people it was Ansem to them just assuming so given what little they know.

Last edited:

Sdog

Awards
My best guess was to spite and forsake his master's name. After Ansem told Apprentice Xehanort not to go snooping around with darkness and hearts like he did, little xehy threw a hissy fit.

But nothin is set in stone, would be nice to have some verification in our upcoming title.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
What has always bothered me about this isn't the character's motivations, but Nomura's. What does he gain from making Ansem a fake? It's hardly even presented as a dramatic twist, it's just there.

YODA: Learn the force, you must! Learn that Darth Vader is your father, mm!
LUKE: What?
YODA: Yes.

I walk out of that scene in KH2 going "Why should I even care?" and realize the only reason I care is that he damaged KH1 in the process without strengthening KH2 at all. It's awful writing. Years later it's still clear he could have pulled it off without that. Here's a tidy one: Ansem (Terranort) deposed the old ruler (not named Ansem) and took over officially since he was already the right-hand man. There, done.

The only rationale I've come up with that makes a lick of sense to me is that he just really preferred the name "Xehanort" and if he had to blow a hole in his own canon to make it fit, by god he would.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
He could have just had it that "Ansem" is like an acquired name of the ruler. Whoever takes over after the previous ruler in Radiant Garden is named "Ansem" with an appropriate description. So Ansem The Wise ruled, then Xehanort's Heartless "killed" him out of jealousy and then "became" Ansem, and took the title of Seeker of Darkness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back