• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"who will i eat ice cream with"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
It felt better in the Japanese version. It was kind of sad, especially when you consider how Sea-Salt is what Roxas considers friendship. That's what friendship looks to him, so, really, he was talking about the end of something important to him.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
It seems ridiculous at first, but that was Roxas definiion of friend.
He though a friend was someone you eat ice cream with, so he's really asking "Who's gonna be my friend?" when he had just left everything behind for Xion.

Crystal

Silver Member
It felt better in the Japanese version. It was kind of sad, especially when you consider how Sea-Salt is what Roxas considers friendship. That's what friendship looks to him, so, really, he was talking about the end of something important to him.

Agree with what HeartSeams said. It was the memories that Roxas valued the most

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I agree with you Izaoyi. Since he was born, that is like the only thing he looked forward too right?

So maybe in saying that he actually meant "What will I do without you?"

State

Awards
Also, this has to be one of the most criticized scenes in the series.

Stars

リク
Mistake or not for being put into the scene like that, did anyone think that it really was sort of sad in context and didn't ruin the moment?

The eat ice-cream thingy seem to represent the friendship between Roxas and others. This memory is such important to him

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
yeah, I always just figured he was saying "who else will I be friends with!?" Since him and Axel weren't really on speaking terms lol

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Mistake or not for being put into the scene like that, did anyone think that it really was sort of sad in context and didn't ruin the moment?
After about five seconds I realised 'Holy shit that is sad as fluff.' He's having his entire world steadily taken from him, and is desperate to hold onto even the most mundane or seemingly insignificant parts of it.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
OR him and Axel were boyfriends.

It's been established that the Japanese version included Axel in the line: "Let's eat ice cream together, all three of us". Or so. The localization team just decided to place it more singularly for some reason.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
They made it more singular because they had to match the Japanese lip movements with English dialogue. The full translated line wouldn't have fit.

Awards
Cannot override my first impression. I wanted it to be sad, but I couldn't hold back a laugh. It comes across as stupid, you shouldn't have to dwell on something that's initially pretty funny when it should be sad.

Even if I understand what they were aiming for, the line is a miss because it's worded poorly.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
At first I thought it was absolutely stupid and kinda funny. But then when you realize what the fluff he did every damn day was go eat ice cream it's kinda saying he was gonna be alone everyday. But still... 'who else will I have ice cream with?'?...that's just hilarious to imagine someone being serious about it. I still frown upon KHDays!Roxas a bit, but I think I can sympathize with him..a bit.

Awards
This pretty much sums up my feelings for that scene:

I am the reporter and Roxas is the man with the squeaky voice.
That "I shouldn't be laughing, but I'm going to anyway" feeling.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Well I always knew what the icecream sessions symbolized so I thought it was really fucking sad

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
They made it more singular because they had to match the Japanese lip movements with English dialogue. The full translated line wouldn't have fit.

I think "Let's all eat ice cream [together] again" could've made it. Somewhat.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net

This in a nutshell sans the "feels better in Japanese". Setting friendship aside, Roxas has done very little in his life beyond beating up Heartless and eating ice cream on top of the clock tower. Even on his day off, when taken away the duty of beating up Heartless, he had no idea what to do so he went for ice cream. It's everything he ever had.
Even during the game when Xion and Axel weren't there and he had ice cream alone, 1) it was a lonely experience, 2) he had hope they'll be there to share ice cream with later.
Now it was gone, taking from him basically everything remotely positive about his life.
Having no one to share ice cream with = having nothing worth living for, as absurd as this might sound to some of us. But seeing how we're dealing with a boy lacking Memories who was around for less than a year and during that less-than-a-year ate ice cream with his friends, I can't hold this against him.

It's been established that the Japanese version included Axel in the line: "Let's eat ice cream together, all three of us". Or so. The localization team just decided to place it more singularly for some reason.

I came to terms with the localized version, actually. It does change his character but to me, it feels a bit less bi-polar seeing how Roxas basically chose when to trust Axel (namely, if Axel was, to Roxas, pro or anti Xion, going by whether he obeyed orders or not). It also connects pretty well with the Winner stick - Roxas himself basically left Axel behind. If he kept the Winner stick for that long because he wanted to get another one so all three of them can share ice cream together, giving the Winner stick to Axel before getting another one for Xion meant he gave that dream up. So if he gave Axel up, and was now losing Xion -
"Who else will I have ice cream with?"
It's not until the Deep Dive sequence that he got a grip and wanted both of them back, hence him naming both when he told Riku he was taking his life back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back