• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Who should have been the main character of Days

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

I think Axel should have been the main character of Days. It would have been great to see what Axel think and feel instead of from a third POV as well to have play as a character that is not a keyblade wielder in story mode again. Also a better perspective of how he views his relationships with Saix, Roxas, Xion, Namine ect and how he feels about his actions. What you think.

Finland

Banshee Queen
Awards
Considering that Axel is not one of the main characters of the series, I think it wouldn't have been that wise to put him under the biggest spotlight in Days. If there had been a need to go deeper into his character, they could have just made a separate game for him. But in my opinion his thoughts and views did come out quite clearly despite him not being the main character. I wouldn't see any point in making his role bigger. (Apart from making my inner fangirl satisfied.)

/justsaying

LynnStrife

Awards
Website
lynnstrife.deviantart.com
Hmm, Axel as the main character sounds pretty interesting, but despite that I think they made the right choice with Roxas as the main character, since he has that connection with Sora, and of course Xion too.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
That's absurd
axel is not nearly as important as Roxas;which is connected to the main character of the game
and we already know what we want,and why he wanted to save roxas,he was only a friend and doesn't really deserve a game

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me
Roxas.
21ec84n.jpg

ChrisP

Roxas still should of been the main character, but it would of been cool if Axel got his own game :p

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Days should've had special missions where you played as other org members.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I think Axel should have been the main character of Days. It would have been great to see what Axel think and feel instead of from a third POV

You got their secret reports. And it's not like we ever got that kind of insight all that much into Sora, for instance. About the only difference is Roxas and his own journal but again, it's not like you didn't get that for Axel - you just had to work harder for it.

as well to have play as a character that is not a keyblade wielder in story mode again.

Lesse... Sora in KH1, CoM and KH2. TAV in BBS, Roxas as at least the main PLAYABLE protagonist in Days. Data Sora in Re:Coded. About the closest thing to an exception we have so far is Reverse-Rebirth Riku, but he was, in fact, a Keyblade Wielder - he was just Keyblade-less. So the "again" part shouldn't be there - it would be, in fact, the first time a non-Wielder would be playable in story mode.
/nitpicky about the terms.

Also a better perspective of how he views his relationships with Saix, Roxas, Xion, Namine ect and how he feels about his actions. What you think.

From what you wrote here it looks like you didn't look the Days' secret reports up. You DO get how Axel feels about all of the above as well as Riku and Repliku and how Axel's attitude towards the later changed as a result of his relationship with Xion. You got it right out of the horse's own mouth, in fact, and quite a bit of it was displayed properly in-game as well :v

On the matter of the question at hand I think Roxas should've still been the main character in Days, and in more than Nomura's say-so. I also believe that could've been achieved without too much changes made to Days as it was written - it's just that instead of having ONLY Xion's story and leaving Roxas to mope alone on the clock tower, they could've turned him into something more active.
Even CoM Sora, when he was being nothing but a pawn, had more than his fair share of character development and insight. Hell, I dare say I prefer KH2 Sora's plot-involvement better than I do Days' Roxas'.
It's just that the kid was wasted. The saddest part is that it's not only Xion that outshone him, but when I think about his missions with, say, Demyx and Luxord, I realize he didn't really have the focus then either as they were trying to flesh them out more than they did Roxas.

State

Awards
I concur, Smile. When scans of Days' multiplayer were released, I thought that Roxas, Axel, Demyx and Xigbar all made a great group, but after playing the game, it was just there for amusement. Then Demyx and Luxord came. Even thought Demyx was the lazy, college type teenage member of the group, he'd still be friendly with Roxas, the same goes for Luxord.

Organization_42

Proud Demyx/Kairi Shipper
Awards
First, I think we have to keep in mind that when we're discussing the Kingdom Hearts series, as Days and KH2 proved, the main character =/= the protagonist. Just because a character is playable in these games doesn't mean that the story is focused on him/her. All Roxas and Sora did was explore Disney worlds and stayed far away from the actual plot until the end climax drew closer. So yeah, Roxas should have been the main character/protagonist in Days. It's supposed to be his story, so why couldn't Nomura make it his story?

Also, I have to agree with Smile about Axel, although not everyone reads the Secret Reports. I think we get a good enough idea of how he thinks and feels, moreso than a lot of the other characters. And what more would we learn about his thoughts if he was the playable character, aside from the constant journals and possibly an inner monologue at times? (And he's arguably got the most journal entries in the Secret Reports anyway) Nah, we've gotten enough on Axel. He's a great, interesting character, but he doesn't need to be playable.

When scans of Days' multiplayer were released, I thought that Roxas, Axel, Demyx and Xigbar all made a great group,

As much as I love the Roxas/Axel/Demyx trio and I wish it had been the main friendship in Days, I knew it wasn't going to happen as soon as I started seeing scans of Xion on the clock tower. Besides, Nomura seems to love the trio theme; the closest he ever got to a group of four was Sora/Riku/Kairi/Namine and Hayner/Pence/Olette/Roxas...and surprise, surprise, both sets of friendships turned out to be fake.

The saddest part is that it's not only Xion that outshone him, but when I think about his missions with, say, Demyx and Luxord, I realize he didn't really have the focus then either as they were trying to flesh them out more than they did Roxas.

Idk about that. I didn't really feel like they were fleshing anybody out in those missions, except to show us how those members behaved around Roxas. Demyx hates the idea of fighting Heartless on his own and runs away at the first sign of work to do? GASP. BUT HE LOOKED LIKE SUCH A DEDICATED WORKER IN KH2. Luxord speaks in riddles? NO. WAY. STOP THE PRESSES. That's what annoyed me about them in Days; not that "Demyx didn't turn out the way I wanted him to be," but that everything about their so-called "fleshed out personalities" were traits I could've figured out myself in KH2. Maybe these were shocking revelations to people who declared Luxord to be a pimp and Demyx as a hyperactive spastic idiot, but Nomura basically confirmed what I'd already guessed about them. Sure, it was interesting to see how they interacted with their fellow members and to get that confirmation on their personalities, but I still think they could have done better with that.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I didn't really feel like they were fleshing anybody out in those missions, except to show us how those members behaved around Roxas.

That's already fleshing them out more than Roxas and KH2 Sora got at times. Especially when you keep in mind that despite not everyone reading them, there ARE Secret Reports written by Demyx and Luxord. Luxord's reports in particular I found to be fascinating and enjoying seeing his critical way of thinking and analysing things, even he himself.

but that everything about their so-called "fleshed out personalities" were traits I could've figured out myself in KH2.

I disagree. And I dare say those characters went through some differences in light of what happened in Days. I mean, for someone who showed at times concern for Roxas and Xion, for Demyx to be happy about offing "the traitor"? And no, there's very little in Luxord's Secret Reports that KH2 implied towards. There's quite a bit of depth to that one I can appreciate in Days that KH2 never tried bothering with.

Nomura basically confirmed what I'd already guessed about them.

And that, sweetie, is what makes you not that fazed by their insight in Days while not all of us saw it the same way. Also, there's a difference between guessing based on a minimal amount of appearances and screen time compared with numerous missions and reports whose intentions are to show us what KH2 left us guessing at, being what the Org truly are like, without leaving any room for doubt or too much debate.
Arguably, in KH2 you could've seen Demyx as a pacifist; Days proves him to be a lazy coward. Luxord seems to be, yes, a lulzy pimp; Days shows us he's one of the most intelligent, calculating characters in the series; he just doesn't have too many alterior motives to have enough plot relevance, but I can hardly say it was anything KH2 even tried hinting towards.

Sure, it was interesting to see how they interacted with their fellow members and to get that confirmation on their personalities, but I still think they could have done better with that.

I agree and disagree. Sure, they could've shown more, but even in a character-oriented and driven game like Days, there's so much you can expand on the non-relevant characters. That's more for the novels, and people keep saying the novels do what the games don't - well, shocks, because the games don't try to do that if they ever even could, seeing their basic plot orientation.
And that's where I disagree because Days still went out of its way to elaborate the characters and their personalities and I dare say their growth. Even Luxord and Demyx gradually opened up to Roxas.
For better or worse, however, Xion was the plot device that half the Organization were plotting to use for their own gain. That leaves little for Luxord and Demyx to do, lacking any visible ties to BBS, and even for Xaldin who even in BBS seemed to play quite the minor role (apprentices do guard work now?).
And look at what they did do with the yes plot relevant characters. Axel and Saix? You said yourself Axel was introduced in a satisfying manner, and with Saix getting bonus screen time with Xemnas and Xigbar, he's alright too. Xigbar intrigued us plentifully with his treatment of Roxas and Xion and then seeing Ven in Xion, leaving the only one to truly be unsatisfying to be Xemnas, but seeing the overall attention the Xehanort faction's getting as well as his own share of BBS references, I can't be too mad at him either.
Anything else is fanservice that not only belongs in the novels, but literally has no place in the games seeing the characters' relatively secondary roles.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Demyx.

But seriously, Roxas was a good main character

Organization_42

Proud Demyx/Kairi Shipper
Awards
That's already fleshing them out more than Roxas and KH2 Sora got at times. Especially when you keep in mind that despite not everyone reading them, there ARE Secret Reports written by Demyx and Luxord. Luxord's reports in particular I found to be fascinating and enjoying seeing his critical way of thinking and analysing things, even he himself.

Demyx's Secret Reports were hilarious, but he only had two, and they had nothing to do with the plot. And I'm pretty sure Luxord only had one or two; I certainly don't remember them that well.

I disagree. And I dare say those characters went through some differences in light of what happened in Days. I mean, for someone who showed at times concern for Roxas and Xion, for Demyx to be happy about offing "the traitor"? And no, there's very little in Luxord's Secret Reports that KH2 implied towards. There's quite a bit of depth to that one I can appreciate in Days that KH2 never tried bothering with.

Happy? Demyx didn't seem very happy to me; he sounded frustrated because he didn't really want to get involved in the whole conflict, but Sora kept on pushing his buttons with "RAWR YOU HAVE A BLACK COAT ON THAT MAKES YOU BAD BECAUSE ALL PEOPLE WITH BLACK COATS ARE BAD UNLESS YOU'RE RIKU. FIGHT ME, WUSS." While I certainly don't blame Sora for provoking Demyx, the fact is, he was provoked. And wasn't Demyx the one asking Roxas to come back to the Organization after the fight in the Underworld? It wasn't until Sora and Donald told him that he didn't have a heart that Demyx flipped out and started calling him "traitor."

And that, sweetie, is what makes you not that fazed by their insight in Days while not all of us saw it the same way. Also, there's a difference between guessing based on a minimal amount of appearances and screen time compared with numerous missions and reports whose intentions are to show us what KH2 left us guessing at, being what the Org truly are like, without leaving any room for doubt or too much debate.
Arguably, in KH2 you could've seen Demyx as a pacifist; Days proves him to be a lazy coward. Luxord seems to be, yes, a lulzy pimp; Days shows us he's one of the most intelligent, calculating characters in the series; he just doesn't have too many alterior motives to have enough plot relevance, but I can hardly say it was anything KH2 even tried hinting towards.

Idk, I don't get where the "lulzy pimp" came from. I didn't see anything like that in KH2. Fans must have just taken his title as "Gambler of Fate" and ran with it. But given his high vocabulary and the fact that he was able to outsmart Captain Jack Sparrow and take over the Black Pearl (albeit temporarily)...nobody could figure out that he was clever or intelligent? And his last words, "How could you, Roxas?" didn't indicate that he might've respected Roxas somewhat?

I guess it all comes down to tastes: you don't care about Organization XIII, so you didn't feel like looking at those scenes in KH2 and guessing what their personalities were like. And so when Days laid it out straight, it was a nice revelation for you. That's fine. Wheras I love Organization XIII, particularly Demyx, so why they act the way they do was something that I enjoyed thinking about. But while I admit that Demyx has been interpreted in wildly different ways by many fans, I still don't think it's that difficult to figure out that he's lazy based on KH2. He could have been a pacifist, but I don't know how well that would hold up in the long run. Why would he care enough to maintain that system of beliefs if he didn't have the heart to care about it? It makes more sense to say that he's lazy and just doesn't feel like doing what the Org makes him do.

I agree and disagree. Sure, they could've shown more, but even in a character-oriented and driven game like Days, there's so much you can expand on the non-relevant characters. That's more for the novels, and people keep saying the novels do what the games don't - well, shocks, because the games don't try to do that if they ever even could, seeing their basic plot orientation.

Ugh, do not get me started on the novels. The Kingdom Hearts 2 novels did expand on the Organization's personalities a little bit. Among other things, that's where fans got introduced to the partnership between Saix and Axel that didn't appear in the actual game, where the rest of the Org is shown to feel slightly uncomfortable with the idea of eliminating Roxas, and Demyx is apparently obsessed with keeping his hair in the same style. (It's the way he wore it before he lost his heart.) And that was wonderful and fantastic.

The Days novels...ugggggghhhh. They did not. The most we got from the rest of the Org happened early on when Xion was still not doing much, like a funny scene when Larxene starts yelling at Demyx and he and Luxord tell Roxas that women can be irritating. (Okay, NOW I can see where people get that "pimp" idea from...) Once Xion starts behaving like a regular Nobody, it pretty much becomes The Xion Show. I'm serious. For you, Smile, I'm sure that's a wonderful thing, but I quickly got sick of it, even the side of me that's a Xion fan. I mean it, everything is about Xion. Axel's thoughts are always about what his friendship with Xion means, why Xigbar laughed at what Xion said, why is Saix mean to Xion, Xion's dilemmas, Xion's hopes and dreams, the story is often told from her perspective too. It's like if Days!Roxas wrote the books. In a way, I get it, because the author of the novels created the character and probably got too attached to her idea. It happens. But I still found it irritating.

Radar

Bronze Member
I still think it should be Roxas, or maybe Xemnas would be cool. Knowing what's going on in his head.

State

Awards
I still think it should be Roxas, or maybe Xemnas would be cool. Knowing what's going on in his head.

It's really a mystery to solve what was going on on Xemnas' head. What we might get would all be circumstantial, and that wouldn't be all of it...

Xemnas' head:
- manipulate a group of individuals into assisting me to reach my goal

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Happy? Demyx didn't seem very happy to me

FM+ scene reference, not what happened in Hollow Bastion itself.

But given his high vocabulary and the fact that he was able to outsmart Captain Jack Sparrow and take over the Black Pearl (albeit temporarily)...nobody could figure out that he was clever or intelligent

We're talking KH2 Jack Sparrow. And seeing how Luxord was using quite a bit of brute strength and lackies, there's little truly 'witty' about this.

Why would he care enough to maintain that system of beliefs if he didn't have the heart to care about it?

That, my dear, is underestimating Nobodies and what they'd do to pretend they were still human depending on how they treated being Nobodies. Larxene was happy without one, but that doesn't say everyone else were. They all still worked towards getting a Heart. Demyx not having a Heart didn't meant he didn't do his best pretending to be one, and that would include sticking with a pacifist nature he might've had in the past.
He hardly would've had to be lazy in order to behave like he did in KH2 (I DO think about the Org members in KH2 - I just don't go out of my way building things based on what I can't see there).

For you, Smile, I'm sure that's a wonderful thing,

Nah, red the novels. Revolting things if ever I've seen one. Excuse me if I don't find too much charm in Roxas and Xion's friendship being discarded as little but a side-effect of the emotions they want me to believe and keep failing at convincing me Sora has for Kairi. :\
Though I really wish people'd stop saying Riku was OOC at the same time they tell me the novels at large show the characters' true natures. I've read tidbits of the KH1 novels where he caressed comatose Kairi's face; I read tidbits of the KH2 novels where he ruffled Namine's hair and just rested his hand on her head. About the only difference between this and what he did with Xion was that with Xion, it's undeniable canon due to being in-game while I can continue to blissfully ignore what to me is OOC for the games with his treatment of Kairi, lol (seriously. I do not approve of the novels' characterizations overall o_O but in Days, it makes sense to me because it wasn't only Kanemaki writing them).

I get it, because the author of the novels created the character and probably got too attached to her idea. It happens. But I still found it irritating.

In a way, I understand why. As I often say, Xion too is a victim of not being properly expanded upon as much as people growl and tell me they had enough of her. The fact remains too much of even plot-important events that relate to her were left off-scene and the girl too only truly has her own secret reports to go on.
Compared with the rest of the Org who, at that point, would've had the CoM and KH2 novels, Xion'd only have the Days novels.

Princess-Sammi

I quite like your reasons for wanting Axel to be the main character - but I think the main character should have been Roxas, especially seeing as Nomura implied he would be. Shame we got stuck with Xion as the main focus. It really ruined the game for me.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I quite like your reasons for wanting Axel to be the main character - but I think the main character should have been Roxas, especially seeing as Nomura implied he would be. Shame we got stuck with Xion as the main focus. It really ruined the game for me.
THIS^

tho i blame it on the writing.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I forever more blame the writing and Roxas's mistreatment, myself. More so than Xion getting main focus, they could've given us more Roxas instead of shoving mission after useless, pointless mission. Also, as cute as they were, the "silent" ice cream scenes. Ok, we get the point, they're BFFs over sea-salt. Get over yourselves :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back