• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Who is the greatest band of all time?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Title's pretty self explanatory. Who do you think is the greatest rock and roll band in the history of recorded music?

I know alot of people are going to say The Beatles, because they're so often labeled as such. But just hear me out on this, ok?

Led Zeppelin.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
I think Daft Punk, but that's just me. The Beatles are probably the greatest, and they're my second favorite band anyway.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
For me, it comes down to the fact that the individual members of Zeppelin had more tallent than any other band's. Robert Plant is to this day considered one of the greatest front men to ever live (comparable only to the great Mick Jagger), the man was pretty much the physical embodiment of sex. Jimmy Page is still being ripped off by guitarists today, and unlike George Harrison, he didn't need to steal from Eric Clapton. John Bonham changed drumming and is only comparable to The Who's Keith Moon and Rush's Neil Pert. And John Paul Johns is the single most influential (non-metal) basist in music.

With the Beatles, their creative talent came mostly from John Lennin collaborating with either Paul or George. And with the Stones, it was pretty much all Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

If it comes down to discography, though, it's pretty even between Beatles/Stones/Zep. None of these guys made a bad album, and that speaks volumes.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
Yeah the Beatles all have albums that at least half of the songs are awesome. Some Beatles songs are just... idk... not memorable.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Labeling a band as the greatest band of all time is kinda hard. There are so many greats. Plus, with the oh so many different genres (hard, soft, classic, alt, metal [which has it's own group of genres too], indie, pop-rock, nu, grunge, etc.) within rock, it's hard to compare them all.

I'm not a big Beattles fan, but they've no doubt shaped the music world. They've had great songs, and songs that you just can't love so much. I can't really label them as the best ever.

Zepplin has no doubt had so much talent in the band, but I'm unfamiliar with a lot of their music.

I'm a big Grunge and Alternative fan, so... I can't really talk about too many bands that popped out before the 90's. But, after thinking it through, I will through out a name for one of the greatest bands ever.

Nirvana.

I think Daft Punk, but that's just me.

They aren't rock. They aren't a band. More like a techno/electronic group/duo.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
Labeling a band as the greatest band of all time is kinda hard. There are so many greats. Plus, with the oh so many different genres (hard, soft, classic, alt, metal [which has it's own group of genres too], indie, pop-rock, nu, grunge, etc.) within rock, it's hard to compare them all.

I'm not a big Beattles fan, but they've no doubt shaped the music world. They've had great songs, and songs that you just can't love so much. I can't really label them as the best ever.

Zepplin has no doubt had so much talent in the band, but I'm unfamiliar with a lot of their music.

I'm a big Grunge and Alternative fan, so... I can't really talk about too many bands that popped out before the 90's. But, after thinking it through, I will through out a name for one of the greatest bands ever.

Nirvana.

They aren't rock. They aren't a band. More like a techno/electronic group/duo.

oh bejeebus I didn't see that he said greatest rock and roll band.

gah i feel retarded. beatles it is then

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
Nirvana's a tragic thing. They could have been one of the best around if not for Kurt's suicide. He was a music genius, and Dave Grohl's only gotten better as a drummer as time passed. But when their most iconic song is just a rehash of Boston's most iconic song...it's hard for me to pick them.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
First I'm going to say what the bonk is so great about the beetles and/or the stones. Yes, I get the fact that they pretty much were the ones to open up Rock music to the current bands, but take that aside, what is so great about them? Is it their sound? Or is it the fact that since their so hyped by multiple people, do others just believe what they say? Me, personally can't stand either of those groups just because I don't find anything remarkable about them. Yeah, their lyrics are awesome, no doubt, but I don't see anything wow-worthy about them. And with that said, I think the greatest band of all time definitely is a tie between Zeppelin and Metallica. Though, I can list others, but those two bands are definitely two on the top of my list.

Ace.

Banned
The Beatles.

King Sora X said:
First I'm going to say what the bonk is so great about the beetles and/or the stones. Yes, I get the fact that they pretty much were the ones to open up Rock music to the current bands, but take that aside, what is so great about them? Is it their sound? Or is it the fact that since their so hyped by multiple people, do others just believe what they say? Me, personally can't stand either of those groups just because I don't find anything remarkable about them. Yeah, their lyrics are awesome, no doubt, but I don't see anything wow-worthy about them. And with that said, I think the greatest band of all time definitely is a tie between Zeppelin and Metallica. Though, I can list others, but those two bands are definitely two on the top of my list.

No other band has had the cultural impact that The Beatles have.

I don't put 'best' and 'greatest' in the same sentence. Best, to me, is who I enjoy the most. I think Heaven Shall Burn is the best band of all time. Greatest, to me, is the band who's become the most iconic. The Beatles are unparalleled in this respect, and that's why I consider them the greatest.

Last edited:

Shinra

Banned
Awards
sorry to throw this in the mix but when it comes down to modern music... there are quite a few that can compare with Zepplin...

To me... when it comes down to Category:

Speed:
Dragonforce- Song worth mentioning: Heroes of our time. The reason I picked them was on a whim that I beat Guitar hero 3 and after that I was hooked by their music and I of all people could dicern every little lick they pulled off with that speed and to know that they didn't need electronics to appear to go that fast... that and their Techicality is spot-on as well

Innovation:
Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Rush and Blue man Group- Songs worth mentioning: Super Collosal, For the love of god, Red Barchetta, Drumbone.
These bands were so good in my opinion when it came down to showing the possiblities of playing guitar and rock and roll in general... Joe Satriani... he was the teacher of a few of the greatest guitarists of their times including another one in the list- Steve Vai... who in himself shows the beauty of playing a wide range of melodies etc... Rush I just loved them because I heard so many songs by them when I was young and Red Barchetta's worth mentioning because I found the first harmonic lick so goddang cool! And Blue man Group... I saw just how much they changed the world with just one DVD really and I loved their covers of so many great songes like Baba 'o Rielly or Crazy train...

Shadow Key

Uh... does Gorillaz count? There's nothing by them that is honestly bad IMO. They're kind of a mix though.

I guess I'll go with Beatles, or Elvis.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
Uh... does Gorillaz count? There's nothing by them that is honestly bad IMO. They're kind of a mix though.

I guess I'll go with Beatles, or Elvis.

Gorillaz count, Elvis doesn't. Gorillaz is a collaborative effort, making it a band. Elvis was more or less a soloist who had backup. If this was about the greatest musician, Elvis would be a legit choice (albeit a harder one).

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I'll throw out another great band, although they don't get much attention anymore: The Killers.

They do some of the best indie-alternative rock. Although, no one cares for indie rock nowadays (but I do :3).

And, if we were talking in the early 2000's or late 90's, I'd throw out Weezer as one of the best... Unfortunately, they've become too laughable (albeit a guilty pleasure of mine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back