• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Who is Riku Replica referring to?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Brit710

In Sanfransokyo, Riku says:

"Unlike a certain wizard you know, I had to play by the rules to travel through time"

What wizard is he referring to? Merlin? Yen Sid? Someone else?

SweetYetSalty

Awards
It sounds like it's Merlin. Since Merlin introduces time travel in KH2 and it doesn't follow the rules of DDD. Honestly it should be Pete who gets called out on it. He's the first to use the Timeless River door. But I bet we're not suppose to remember that XD

AR829038

Awards
In Sanfransokyo, Riku says:

"Unlike a certain wizard you know, I had to play by the rules to travel through time"

What wizard is he referring to? Merlin? Yen Sid? Someone else?
I'm pretty sure he was referring to Merlin, who has time travel abilities inherited from his original movie The Sword and the Stone that don't mesh with the time travel restrictions Young Xehanort mentions in Dream Drop Distance. Of course, even though I'm certain he was referring to Merlin, I actually don't know whether Yen Sid also has unique time travel abilities, as I'm still uncertain how exactly he sent Sora and Riku back in time to take the Mark of Mastery Exam in DDD. I hear some sources saying he sent them back into their younger bodies, some that say he sent them back younger but as separate and independent entities, and others that say all the stuff that happened in the Destiny Islands in that game was happening in the Realm of Sleep, so I'm not sure which source to believe, as DDD was one of the worst explained games in the series.
Dark Riku is definitely referring to Merlin, though. And to tell you the truth, I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of different time travel rules depending on which world you're in and which movie it's based on. I think these time travel rules are just more general ones that apply everywhere and to everyone in the World. People like Merlin and other time travelers from different Disney movies just play by their own unique rules because they can.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm pretty sure he was referring to Merlin, who has time travel abilities inherited from his original movie The Sword and the Stone that don't mesh with the time travel restrictions Young Xehanort mentions in Dream Drop Distance. Of course, even though I'm certain he was referring to Merlin, I actually don't know whether Yen Sid also has unique time travel abilities, as I'm still uncertain how exactly he sent Sora and Riku back in time to take the Mark of Mastery Exam in DDD. I hear some sources saying he sent them back into their younger bodies, some that say he sent them back younger but as separate and independent entities, and others that say all the stuff that happened in the Destiny Islands in that game was happening in the Realm of Sleep, so I'm not sure which source to believe, as DDD was one of the worst explained games in the series.
Dark Riku is definitely referring to Merlin, though. And to tell you the truth, I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of different time travel rules depending on which world you're in and which movie it's based on. I think these time travel rules are just more general ones that apply everywhere and to everyone in the World. People like Merlin and other time travelers from different Disney movies just play by their own unique rules because they can.

Hmm, I'm kinda hoping that we get another Disney World that has some kind of time travel in it, just to see how they address the different situation now. Sora, Riku, and Xehanort had to jump through hoops to time travel in DDD. Especially in the case of Xehanort. Are there any Disney movies that deal with time travel that haven't been used yet?

Brit710

Hmm, I'm kinda hoping that we get another Disney World that has some kind of time travel in it, just to see how they address the different situation now. Sora, Riku, and Xehanort had to jump through hoops to time travel in DDD. Especially in the case of Xehanort. Are there any Disney movies that deal with time travel that haven't been used yet?

That's interesting, because I took DDD as they were in sleeping worlds, but not necessarily in the past. Does it say that they are time traveling in DDD?

What about Meet the Robinsons? That has time travel?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
How would Dark Riku(or Master Xehanort for that matter) know about Merlin and his abilities? I'd understand Yen Sid as he was a former Keyblade Master but the fact that Dark Riku knows about him is kind of funny

Brit710

How would Dark Riku(or Master Xehanort for that matter) know about Merlin and his abilities? I'd understand Yen Sid as he was a former Keyblade Master but the fact that Dark Riku knows about him is kind of funny
Very true, it just seemed like such an odd thing to throw in there... 🤔

SweetYetSalty

Awards
That's interesting, because I took DDD as they were in sleeping worlds, but not necessarily in the past. Does it say that they are time traveling in DDD?

Xehanort did, but I don't remember if Sora and Riku did. They probably didn't and I got the sleeping worlds and time travel confused. Probably because they are back in their KH1 bodies again.

I'd be down for Meet the Robinsons. I want to see bowler hat guy travel as a heart through time instead of the time machine XD

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

The journal in DDD says that Sora and Riku were returned to Destiny Islands shortly before it fell to Darkness, and then they proceeded to steal the raft that Sora and Kairi were building over those two days in KH1, so they had to be sent back in time (but then Sora gets hijacked and Riku is inside Sora so *shrug*)

okhi12

Awards
Merlin not only screwed the rules of time travel in KH2 but KH3 as well. After all he was the one who provided Kairi and Lea a place where time is more flexible so they could train, the forest near Twilight Town. Maybe that's why Riku Replica was aware of Merlin's power over time.
Kairi mentioned that about Merlin and the place with flexible time in the letter that she wrote to Sora but did not send. The content of the letter was revealed in one of the concerts or something like that, I don't remember if it is actually stated in the game.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I would cry if we got Meet the Robinsons. Most underrated film ;A; <3

NoWay

Awards
Kairi mentioned that about Merlin and the place with flexible time in the letter that she wrote to Sora but did not send. The content of the letter was revealed in one of the concerts or something like that, I don't remember if it is actually stated in the game.
The letter was actually read by Kairi in her first cutscene:

Brit710

The journal in DDD says that Sora and Riku were returned to Destiny Islands shortly before it fell to Darkness, and then they proceeded to steal the raft that Sora and Kairi were building over those two days in KH1, so they had to be sent back in time (but then Sora gets hijacked and Riku is inside Sora so *shrug*)

I feel like DDD has so many plot-holes that dont make sense 🙄 I like the game a lot but geez louise lol

AR829038

Awards
But, see, that's what doesn't make sense. If Sora and Riku were sent back into the bodies of their KH1 selves, then how could they have sailed out on the raft when they didn't do so in the original game? Wouldn't that constitute a divergence from the original timeline, and thus a rewrite of destiny? If Sora and Riku hijacked their old bodies, then that means they wouldn't have been able to go off and do all the other stuff they do in KH1, because they would have been busy doing stuff in the Sleeping Realm using their old bodies.
The only plausible alternative is that Yen Sid either somehow managed to make duplicates of Sora and Riku's past selves for them to move around and do things independently of their KH1 selves (in that case, I can only imagine that he managed to do this utilizing some unknown sorcerer magic), or else he somehow transported them directly into the Sleeping Realm version of the Destiny Islands that existed after its fall to the Heartless in KH1 and before it was restored after Ansem's defeat. But then, if that's the case, how did Robed Ansem manage to interfere in the Mark of Master Exam? He would have had to be swallowed up into the Sleeping Realm too, and if he had, I don't think he would have been able to stick around in the Realm of Light to possess Riku in KH1. Or, could he have? I don't know. My head hurts. This always happens when I talk about DDD.
My best theory is this: I believe, even though we have little to no evidence of it, that Yen Sid made body duplicates for Sora and Riku, hence why their clothes and physical appearances are slightly different than their actual KH1 models. Also, when Sora enters Traverse Town, he looks at his new clothes and says they must be there because of "more of Yen Sid's magic," which was really vague and I'm not certain what it means, but I imagine it has to be related to this discrepancy.
Part of the confusion stems from the ambiguity in Young Xehanort's statement that one can only travel to a point in time and space where another version of them is waiting. I always assumed that was because one had to physically possess the body of that version of themselves in order to move about and do things at that point in time, but maybe one doesn't need to actually possess their past self; maybe a person can travel to any place and time of which they have a memory, and maybe that's why brown-robe Ansem managed to retain some independence as an incorporeal entity without having to actually possess Young Xehanort.
I'm sorry, I've rambled quite a bit. This series makes me do that sometimes.

Brit710

But, see, that's what doesn't make sense. If Sora and Riku were sent back into the bodies of their KH1 selves, then how could they have sailed out on the raft when they didn't do so in the original game? Wouldn't that constitute a divergence from the original timeline, and thus a rewrite of destiny? If Sora and Riku hijacked their old bodies, then that means they wouldn't have been able to go off and do all the other stuff they do in KH1, because they would have been busy doing stuff in the Sleeping Realm using their old bodies.
The only plausible alternative is that Yen Sid either somehow managed to make duplicates of Sora and Riku's past selves for them to move around and do things independently of their KH1 selves (in that case, I can only imagine that he managed to do this utilizing some unknown sorcerer magic), or else he somehow transported them directly into the Sleeping Realm version of the Destiny Islands that existed after its fall to the Heartless in KH1 and before it was restored after Ansem's defeat. But then, if that's the case, how did Robed Ansem manage to interfere in the Mark of Master Exam? He would have had to be swallowed up into the Sleeping Realm too, and if he had, I don't think he would have been able to stick around in the Realm of Light to possess Riku in KH1. Or, could he have? I don't know. My head hurts. This always happens when I talk about DDD.
My best theory is this: I believe, even though we have little to no evidence of it, that Yen Sid made body duplicates for Sora and Riku, hence why their clothes and physical appearances are slightly different than their actual KH1 models. Also, when Sora enters Traverse Town, he looks at his new clothes and says they must be there because of "more of Yen Sid's magic," which was really vague and I'm not certain what it means, but I imagine it has to be related to this discrepancy.
Part of the confusion stems from the ambiguity in Young Xehanort's statement that one can only travel to a point in time and space where another version of them is waiting. I always assumed that was because one had to physically possess the body of that version of themselves in order to move about and do things at that point in time, but maybe one doesn't need to actually possess their past self; maybe a person can travel to any place and time of which they have a memory, and maybe that's why brown-robe Ansem managed to retain some independence as an incorporeal entity without having to actually possess Young Xehanort.
I'm sorry, I've rambled quite a bit. This series makes me do that sometimes.

It's okay! Its extremely confusing. I'm willing to not have a full grasp (I've learned with KH that it's almost impossible) but I dont want to miss out on the important stuff! It's so much to know though

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Merlin not only screwed the rules of time travel in KH2 but KH3 as well. After all he was the one who provided Kairi and Lea a place where time is more flexible so they could train, the forest near Twilight Town. Maybe that's why Riku Replica was aware of Merlin's power over time.
The Secret Forest is in Twilight Town!?

Back