• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Who do you think is the KH series most skilled user of Magic?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Enigma

Over the course of the series we have seen varying degrees and usage of Magic.

The use of this skill isn't limited to just Keyblade wielders, so the question is open to anyone in the series who has displayed use of Magic. Even Minnie Mouse, though I should hope no one would argue she has shown the most skill in Magic... but then again this is about opinion, and like I've said, we have seen various characters use Magic.

We've seen Master Xehanort perform impressive feats, Donald Duck has shown skill in Magic across the series, as has Mickey Mouse especially when channelling the attribute of Light. And let's not forget that Stopza spell in Dream Drop Distance. Aqua is also skilled, preferring it to that of strength or speed.

So, who do you think is the KH series most skilled user of Magic?
This is down to canon, so when playing as Sora, or Aqua, or anyone who can level up there skill in Magic, you should really take into account the skill they've shown in cutscenes and such, and not from having played as them and having been able to garner them all the best Magic commands.

Oh, and just because we may not have seen them use Magic to there fullest capabilities, like Yen Sid for example, doesn't mean you should exclude them if that's the character you personally would like to argue as having the most skill.

So, have fun and discuss!

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
I think both Yen Sid and Merlin have both been stated in Jiminy's Journal as being unparalleled in their magic ability (albeit in separate games). Either that means they are both infinite in their magic skills, or the less likely option, that they are secretly two parts of the same person (or Jiminy is lying).

Either way, every other character has only ever displayed more advanced or creative uses of simple magics- fire, ice, lightning, stop, gravity, aero, reflect, heal, light, dark, etc. Even Xehanort's BbS cutscene ridiculousness can be explained as variations and combinations of these. No one else has just looked up at the stars and garnered specific and crucial plot info, or teleported between worlds without use of corridor, lane, or gummi ship.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Of the character introduced I'd say, magic wise, it's a tie between Yen Sid, Merlin and Master Xehanort.
Merlin is described in-game as second to none and it's no secret Yen Sid is likely hax. I rank MX among them both because...yeah any dude that can literally throw mountains in peoples faces *coughTerra* deserves recognition for that feat.

Second to them three would be Aqua to me given her magic focused style.

It's probably be fair to rank Maleficent as below them four somewhere as well. She's not the most powerful but she's not weak in the least. (even if fighting keybearers make it seem otherwise)

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
While not the strongest I think the Spellican should be given some credit. Not only can he travel between Sleeping Worlds, he can summon fallen Nightmares well as altering reality(though it can be argued it's teleporting you to another area.)

Prince Enigma

No one else has just looked up at the stars and garnered specific and crucial plot info, or teleported between worlds without use of corridor, lane, or gummi ship.

Haha yeah but this is Master Xehanort. There are so many things unexplained about the old coot, I think I can look over his apparent ease at being able to do things that usually are considered impossible or extremely difficult from other characters.

Of the character introduced I'd say, magic wise, it's a tie between Yen Sid, Merlin and Master Xehanort.
Merlin is described in-game as second to none and it's no secret Yen Sid is likely hax. I rank MX among them both because...yeah any dude that can literally throw mountains in peoples faces *coughTerra* deserves recognition for that feat.

Second to them three would be Aqua to me given her magic focused style.

It's probably be fair to rank Maleficent as below them four somewhere as well. She's not the most powerful but she's not weak in the least. (even if fighting keybearers make it seem otherwise)

Yeah in terms of Keyblade wielders, I think its fair to argue Master Xehanort as having shown the most skill thus far. Yeah mountain making and encasing foes in ice seem to be signature's of his. I'd also agree that second to Master Xehanort (among Keyblade wielders) would be Aqua, because of her magic focused fighting style of course, and also where we see her protect Terra in a barrier from the vortex of Keyblades at the Keyblade Graveyard.

I would find it interesting to see more of Yen Sid and Merlin's magic skill, perhaps in combat like situations, though I doubt we will see this, as not only in Jiminy's Journal but also stated by a lot of characters like Mickey and Donald, do they say that both have magical skill that is unrivalled.

And I'd definitely put Maleficent up there too, mainly to do with the fact that she is the only Disney villain (with the exception of Pete) whose influence in the series has extended past her home world primarily because of her power which is nearly entirely magic based, and we've seen she has great use over dark magic (you know, Oogie Boogie resurrections, thorn summoning, dragon transformationing) and yeah while she has been beaten by Keyblade wielders, she has managed to survive across the series, and shown the ability to come back using her dark magic.

While not the strongest I think the Spellican should be given some credit. Not only can he travel between Sleeping Worlds, he can summon fallen Nightmares well as altering reality(though it can be argued it's teleporting you to another area.)

You know, I had personally never considered Heartless, Nobodies, Unversed or Dream Eaters. And now that you mention Spellican, I'd definitely say they should be considered, cause your right he has shown exceptional magic ability.

Speaking of, I thought I'd add a few honourable mentions of my own?

Mimic Master and Zexion.

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
Haha yeah but this is Master Xehanort. There are so many things unexplained about the old coot, I think I can look over his apparent ease at being able to do things that usually are considered impossible or extremely difficult from other characters.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was talking about Yen Sid's habit of watching the stars (mentioned and shown many times) and the scene in KH2 where Sora and co. fly from Disney Castle to Radiant Garden to consult Merlin about Maleficent's thorns, and he just teleports them all back (which always bothered me 'cause, like, did he also teleport their gummi ship or did Chip and Dale remote control it back once they found out we just left it parked half way across the Realm of Light..?).

VenTer

Awards
What about Merlin and Master Yensid? Merlin is a skilled wizard and Master Yensid is a skilled sorcerer.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm going to go with Yen Sid and Mickey

While we haven't seen Yen Sid in action yet, based on what we know of him from Fantasia and status as a Master, it's safe to assume that he's a very powerful magician.

Mickey has been shown to be a strong magic user in the series. He was able to freeze time in DDD. That's pretty impressive.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Yeah, in terms of characters out of them all, the journals have stated (even in the same game) that both Yen Sid and Merlin have sorcerer powers second to none.

KH2 Journal Entries said:
Yen Sid:
A powerful sorcerer, second to none. He tutored the King in magic.
From conjuring up skies full of beautiful butterflies to parting an ocean, Yen Sid's feats of wizardry are...well, amazing. His name alone fills some folks with awe.

Yen Sid shared some of his wisdom with Sora and his friends. He also taught them some valuable techniques to help prepare them for what they'll face on this new quest.

Merlin:
A powerful wizard who's currently living in Hollow Bastion. He's letting the HBRC use his house as a meeting place.

Merlin has a wisdom and magic powers that are second to none, and he taught Donald most of what he knows about magic. He also has a mysterious bag that can hold anything, no matter how big it is.

It also states in the KH1 journal entry for Merlin that he is second to none (Yen Sid was not in KH1 to have a journal entry). I do think from what we've seen MX is the strongest, but if what YS did in Fantasia is canon in KH from Jiminy's Journal and YS can still part oceans, making a mountain isn't as high as that (in my opinion).

I'm honestly curious what would happen if YS and Merlin faced off only using magic. Honestly, I'm more inclined to think Merlin would win only because YS trained Mickey, who is more well-rounded (as Yen Sid is), while Merlin is clearly much more magic based, training Donald, one of the most proficient wizards in the series and far more competent at magic than Mickey from what we've seen, but that's just my speculating.

Prince Enigma

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was talking about Yen Sid's habit of watching the stars (mentioned and shown many times) and the scene in KH2 where Sora and co. fly from Disney Castle to Radiant Garden to consult Merlin about Maleficent's thorns, and he just teleports them all back (which always bothered me 'cause, like, did he also teleport their gummi ship or did Chip and Dale remote control it back once they found out we just left it parked half way across the Realm of Light..?).

Oh sorry, I thought you strictly meant Master Xehanort, but yeah I see what you mean now. To be honest I think there are always going to be inconsistencies in the series like that, there is just so much mythos and lore introduced now that forgetting things previously written is arguably understandable but of course annoying.

I'm going to go with Yen Sid and Mickey

While we haven't seen Yen Sid in action yet, based on what we know of him from Fantasia and status as a Master, it's safe to assume that he's a very powerful magician.

Mickey has been shown to be a strong magic user in the series. He was able to freeze time in DDD. That's pretty impressive.

It would be great to see more of Yen Sid in action, it would be even better if some of the feats he performed in Fantasia were smuggled into the series somehow. And that Stopza spell Mickey performed in DDD was so cool. It even managed to halt MX and YX temporarily. I wonder if he learned that from Yen Sid? It would certainly be awesome to see if you can learn the ultimate magic commands in KH3 like Stopza and Firaza and Blizzaza. Ok I'm getting ahead of myself now.

Yeah, in terms of characters out of them all, the journals have stated (even in the same game) that both Yen Sid and Merlin have sorcerer powers second to none.

It also states in the KH1 journal entry for Merlin that he is second to none (Yen Sid was not in KH1 to have a journal entry). I do think from what we've seen MX is the strongest, but if what YS did in Fantasia is canon in KH from Jiminy's Journal and YS can still part oceans, making a mountain isn't as high as that (in my opinion).

I'm honestly curious what would happen if YS and Merlin faced off only using magic. Honestly, I'm more inclined to think Merlin would win only because YS trained Mickey, who is more well-rounded (as Yen Sid is), while Merlin is clearly much more magic based, training Donald, one of the most proficient wizards in the series and far more competent at magic than Mickey from what we've seen, but that's just my speculating.

That is interesting, cause obviously with Yen Sid being a Keyblade Master he would have to be skilled in other areas as well, and not just Magic. Aqua shown that she was the most balanced out of her Terra and Ven, having decent strength, speed, agility, and range so we can assume the same for Yen Sid, who it stands to reason may have been like Aqua, having his true prowess with a Keyblade lying in Magic oriented fighting. But since he trained Mickey, who has incredible Magic skill, but prefers speed, agility and quick combos as opposed to a fighting style like Aqua's, we can assume your right in thinking when it comes to Magic, Merlin could trump Yen Sid, though only Magic based. I also agree with you that due to Merlin training Donald and Yen Sid training Mickey, we've seen Donald come off as having more proficiency and competence in Magic as opposed to Mickey. Then again the Magic that Mickey uses is to supplement his fighting with a Keyblade so its understandable in both regards.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
As far as just magic? It's settled that Merlin would be first, I guess, but after that it would be hard to place them. I would think Maleficent, Yensid, and Xehanort are probably all similar levels (I would say Jafar would also fall in this category). Then Ursula, followed by Aqua. Donald below them, then Mickey? It's hard to say with any certainty, just how they come across, really. I'm actually wondering if Maleficent, Jafar, and Ursula would rank slightly higher just because they seem to rely almost exclusively on magic. And maybe I'm underestimating Donald because he's played for comedy. He does transmutate Sora, Goofy, and himself, which Ursula can do.

And I'm wondering if Hades' powers count as magic or not... Then there are the Organization members. Or maybe Xehanort would be second because he's the only one besides Merlin who's able to time travel.

Prince Enigma

As far as just magic? It's settled that Merlin would be first, I guess, but after that it would be hard to place them. I would think Maleficent, Yensid, and Xehanort are probably all similar levels (I would say Jafar would also fall in this category). Then Ursula, followed by Aqua. Donald below them, then Mickey? It's hard to say with any certainty, just how they come across, really. I'm actually wondering if Maleficent, Jafar, and Ursula would rank slightly higher just because they seem to rely almost exclusively on magic. And maybe I'm underestimating Donald because he's played for comedy. He does transmutate Sora, Goofy, and himself, which Ursula can do.

And I'm wondering if Hades' powers count as magic or not... Then there are the Organization members. Or maybe Xehanort would be second because he's the only one besides Merlin who's able to time travel.

Hmm, regarding Hades power, I'm not sure it is magic. I think it's an attribute or element he is able to channel and use as a weapon, probably due to him being the whole 'Lord of the Dead'. It's the same with the Organization members. They each can use magic (the generic Fire, Blizzard, Thunder) but also each have an attribute they can use or manipulate. For example Vexen's use of ice isn't magic because it's his attribute in the organisation and thus can use it as a weapon or aide in battle, much like Xigbar's space manipulation, Marluxia's control over flower (never did get that one) they all can use there attributes in battle but still use magic. Like Axel for instance can cast the spell Fire which would be magic, but when he is channelling fire through his chakrams and such it is him using his attribute. Zexion on the other hand, along with his weaving of illusions to confuse his foes, uses mainly magic in battle and this is magic whereas his attribute is illusion.

Jafar also does show great use of magic, especially elemental magic as seen in his battle in the first Kingdom Hearts. Though I think any magic he uses as a genie should be discredited as his own skill? He kind of cheats there with him wishing to be a genie and all. As for Ursula, I would argue she has very limited magic skill without the trident. She has potions she throws into her cauldron, but without her trident she pretty much just slashes and spins at Sora. With the trident however, yes she does have impressive magic abilities but these are only granted to her through her use of the trident which wasn't hers to begin with, so again its kind of like Jafar with the lamp and not her actual skill. Therefore I would also probably rank Aqua, Donald and Mickey above Ursula, but only Aqua and Donald above Jafar because I would argue those two have more range than Jafar does, whereas Mickey is mainly light magic and cure magic.

Maleficent though is definitely the most skilled Magic user of the Disney villains so far, and in terms of magic using villains, I would argue second to Master Xehanort.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Wait I was under the impression that the Stop spells don't stop time but freeze people in time. Going back to villains I think Maleficent is the most skilled. She can cast curses, transform, control nature, manipulate weather and resurrect other villains(Oogie).

Also are Light and Darkness under the magic category? I always imagined it as a spectrum: Light-Magic~Dark Magic-Darkness.

Prince Enigma

Wait I was under the impression that the Stop spells don't stop time but freeze people in time. Going back to villains I think Maleficent is the most skilled. She can cast curses, transform, control nature, manipulate weather and resurrect other villains(Oogie).

Also are Light and Darkness under the magic category? I always imagined it as a spectrum: Light-Magic~Dark Magic-Darkness.

Yeah I think it's more likely that the Stop spells freeze enemies in time, as that is certainly the case in game. But the cutscene in DDD, when Mickey casts the Stopza spell, it looks like time itself is frozen only within the sphere though? I'm not too sure about that one.

And I would argue that yes Light and Darkness fall under the magic category, as both Mickey, Minnie, Sora, and Ventus use light magic, such as Pearl which Mickey uses in battle, Faith which is used by Minnie and Ventus and later Sora in DDD (Minnie used it to free herself from Pete in DDD). There are numerous other Magic commands that are light based, such as Salvation used by Ventus. I would argue that Roxas doesn't use Light magic as Light is his attribute in the Organisation and like I mentioned earlier its more him channeling Light like in his Limit Break and Final Limit. I suppose you could say other characters use Light magic, like the three fairies from Sleeping Beauty.
As for dark magic, we've seen Riku and Vanitas use it numerous times, one spell in particular you could argue as falling under the dark magic category is Dark Firaga. Maleficent also I would argue as using dark magic, as does Xehanort in his magic based attacks in the Keyblade graveyard.

Gram

Banned
Awards
^ Mehhhh Light and Darkness are much more broad than that given their roles and natures in the series. It's more like having Light or Dark influenced magic attacks rather than Light and Dark being a form of magic themselves.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I have four characters in mind for most magically powerful in two different orders.

In order from what we've seen been used:
1. Master Xehanort
2. Maleficent
3. Merlin
4. Master Yen Sid

But in order of what is known and has been said about each character I would rank them like this:
1. Merlin
2. Yen Sid
3. Xehanort
4. Maleficent

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
^ Mehhhh Light and Darkness are much more broad than that given their roles and natures in the series. It's more like having Light or Dark influenced magic attacks rather than Light and Dark being a form of magic themselves.
A good idea, but it doesn't make sense to me, with the existence of attacks that are pure light or darkness (like pearl and salvation, mentioned earlier).
I think it's more like the ability to combine two (or more) magic elements for a more powerful attack, thus exhibiting greater magic ability.

To bring my point to the topic, I think we should award extra, hypothetical, points to magic users who've been able to use advanced fusion spells, like Maleficent's widespread use of dark + fire, or that thing Xehanort uses to destroy the Land of Departure, which looks an awful lot like a bigger, darker version of the basic gravity spell from KH1.

Prince Enigma

I have four characters in mind for most magically powerful in two different orders.

In order from what we've seen been used:
1. Master Xehanort
2. Maleficent
3. Merlin
4. Master Yen Sid

But in order of what is known and has been said about each character I would rank them like this:
1. Merlin
2. Yen Sid
3. Xehanort
4. Maleficent

Interesting list. It is true that from what we have seen so far, Master Xehanort seems to harness the most magical skill and power. I also have already argued Maleficent comes second to Xehanort, in terms of villains in the series, and also accounting for having seen her use a lot of her magic. But of course because we haven't seen Merlin or Yen Sid use the full extent of there magical capabilities, but have read and heard a plentiful amount of there equally unrivalled skill in magic, it's quite hard to say exactly.

A good idea, but it doesn't make sense to me, with the existence of attacks that are pure light or darkness (like pearl and salvation, mentioned earlier).
I think it's more like the ability to combine two (or more) magic elements for a more powerful attack, thus exhibiting greater magic ability.

To bring my point to the topic, I think we should award extra, hypothetical, points to magic users who've been able to use advanced fusion spells, like Maleficent's widespread use of dark + fire, or that thing Xehanort uses to destroy the Land of Departure, which looks an awful lot like a bigger, darker version of the basic gravity spell from KH1.

I would also suggest that Maleficent's transformation into a dragon is in essence an advanced dark magic spell, as in Kingdom Hearts when Ansem-Riku stabs Maleficent with the Keyblade of heart, he says it is unlocking her inner, true darkness (despite being able to achieve this already in BBS) it seems to me that transforming into her dragon form is another advanced dark magic. That, or her channelling her inner darkness in order to take on the form, it may not be magic based, but its just a theory.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Jafar also does show great use of magic, especially elemental magic as seen in his battle in the first Kingdom Hearts. Though I think any magic he uses as a genie should be discredited as his own skill? He kind of cheats there with him wishing to be a genie and all. As for Ursula, I would argue she has very limited magic skill without the trident. She has potions she throws into her cauldron, but without her trident she pretty much just slashes and spins at Sora.
Actually, now that I think of it, Jafar would be even lower than Ursula. I don't think he uses any magic--in the game or the movie--before wishing to become "the most powerful sorcerer in the world." I agree, Ursula is less powerful than I was thinking, since her powers are derived from potion-making. Maleficent is the only Disney villain that doesn't need a +1 (like the lamp or trident) to become a huge monster at the end.

I wonder if Yen Sid can also do time traveling magic like Merlin and Xehanort then? I'm assuming Maleficent cannot, since she seems surprised when the door appears to Pete in KH2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back