• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Which remastered game was the least polished?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
The remastered games are all very good remasters and feel fresh and amazing with the 60fps. However, I can't help to think that some elements still need some polishing and feel very old.
For example:
- Chain of Memories upscaled cutscenes: it's terrible to see this horrible aliasing because the cutscenes are pre rendered videos that have been upscaled for hd. They could re-render them in the correct definition. no? Days and re:coded have the same issue but the quality is slightly better.
- Birth by Sleep in general: the game doesn't feel like a remaster at all. It just feels like a psp game running on big screen. Camera is too close, menus are still blurry in term of textures (other games are much much better) and the ingame characters DO NOT HAVE FINGERS! Even DDD HD managed to fix this. For BBS, I demand a redo.

ANd you? Do you have anything that you would like to see fix in term of remasters quality?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
KH1 still has its share of issues. But the remix added a new one: Triangle being the 4th menu command button while still retaining its original function as the party member command button. This actively made pink agaricus farming more difficult than in the PS2 FM. Couldn't they have remapped Party Command to a different button?

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
The series has had it tough with remasters, actually. KH1FM on PS3 was generally favorable, with many improvements and not a lot of issues, outside of being relatively more prone to crashing than the original PS2 game. Re:COM on the other hand was plagued with inexplicable framerate issues and continues even now to suffer with pre-rendered cutscenes. I'm just going to assume the animations for these scenes are long gone, thus they're forced to use old footage.

KH2FM on PS3 was an outright disaster, and as the most exciting game on the disc, the first time 2FM was playable officially in the west, it's a huge disappointment. Load times are far worse than PS2. Drive Forms load in slowly. Saves delete themselves. Xemnas's reversal reaction command doesn't work anymore, botching the final boss of the game. It was tragic. BBSFM also just looked, handled, and presented itself like a PSP game blown up to HD and it was rough. That game has visually and audibly aged like milk, but instead of wasting dev time making it better, I'd rather just forget the whole thing.

DDD on PS4 was a triumph, in my opinion. a much better camera, 60fps for the first time in the KH series (can you believe that?), snappy movement controls, beautiful graphics, and a few balance alterations to make the game marginally more fun. I mean, it's still DDD with every gameplay problem that's always plagued DDD, but at least it was a damn competent port.

1.5+2.5 on PS4 was a wild ride all the way until its final patch. Focusing on KH1FM and KH2FM, it was honestly a mish-mash of good and bad. Almost 0 loading time on anything. Walk through a door, next zone loads instantly. Same for drive forms. Awesome. Saves spontaneously deleting themselves. Shitty. 60FPS at long last, making the games beautiful and smooth. That same 60FPS causing a myriad of animation problems in fights. Certain reaction commands would never work right, Sephiroth's meteors traveled at double speed, shadow heartless were still 30fps, enemy gauges like Vexen's data meter would build at ridiculous speeds... People generally enjoyed the new ports more, but there were more glaring issues than in the previous collections.

But then, for whatever reason, months after anyone cared, Square dropped an update that fixed so many lingering issues in all the games. They fixed Xemnas's RC, gauges, balance, crashes, the whole shebang. It's so amazing.

So overall I'd say the worst port was 2FM on PS3. I can overlook lots of things, but a remaster with *much* slower load times is just too much for me.

AegisXIII

Awards
The series has had it tough with remasters, actually. KH1FM on PS3 was generally favorable, with many improvements and not a lot of issues, outside of being relatively more prone to crashing than the original PS2 game. Re:COM on the other hand was plagued with inexplicable framerate issues and continues even now to suffer with pre-rendered cutscenes. I'm just going to assume the animations for these scenes are long gone, thus they're forced to use old footage.

KH2FM on PS3 was an outright disaster, and as the most exciting game on the disc, the first time 2FM was playable officially in the west, it's a huge disappointment. Load times are far worse than PS2. Drive Forms load in slowly. Saves delete themselves. Xemnas's reversal reaction command doesn't work anymore, botching the final boss of the game. It was tragic. BBSFM also just looked, handled, and presented itself like a PSP game blown up to HD and it was rough. That game has visually and audibly aged like milk, but instead of wasting dev time making it better, I'd rather just forget the whole thing.

DDD on PS4 was a triumph, in my opinion. a much better camera, 60fps for the first time in the KH series (can you believe that?), snappy movement controls, beautiful graphics, and a few balance alterations to make the game marginally more fun. I mean, it's still DDD with every gameplay problem that's always plagued DDD, but at least it was a damn competent port.

1.5+2.5 on PS4 was a wild ride all the way until its final patch. Focusing on KH1FM and KH2FM, it was honestly a mish-mash of good and bad. Almost 0 loading time on anything. Walk through a door, next zone loads instantly. Same for drive forms. Awesome. Saves spontaneously deleting themselves. Shitty. 60FPS at long last, making the games beautiful and smooth. That same 60FPS causing a myriad of animation problems in fights. Certain reaction commands would never work right, Sephiroth's meteors traveled at double speed, shadow heartless were still 30fps, enemy gauges like Vexen's data meter would build at ridiculous speeds... People generally enjoyed the new ports more, but there were more glaring issues than in the previous collections.

But then, for whatever reason, months after anyone cared, Square dropped an update that fixed so many lingering issues in all the games. They fixed Xemnas's RC, gauges, balance, crashes, the whole shebang. It's so amazing.

So overall I'd say the worst port was 2FM on PS3. I can overlook lots of things, but a remaster with *much* slower load times is just too much for me.

I agree with everything you say. The remasters now are in a fine state. Very little bugs. And it is true that DDD was a great remaster. They even added fingers to sora and riku, can you believe that?!!
That's the reason I am annoyed with BBS because comparing it to DDD, it was mostly the same quality to begin with but one of them got much more care, which is weird considering all games are equally important.

If we ever get a new version on next-gen (I would buy it of course, duuh), I really would like them to work on improving the inconsistencies in term of quality.
Even if source cutscenes have been lost (which I am not sure about that considering they made them from a different point of view for this VR experience), they could always use AI and neural network technologies to improve their quality. That's how 4k will be done on next gen gpu, the techno exist.

It would be interesting to see the difference of graphics in melody of memory when we switch from bbs to kh2 worlds actually.
I am really hopping that this new team working with the old graphics will be assigned to a final polish of the remasters (even make days and re:coded playable, who knows).

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'd been planning to get the All-in-One package for PS4 eventually, although it hasn't been a priority. But seeing the cover for Melody of Memory with the picture of Kairi on the throne, no lie I started wanting the All-in-One package with Sora on the throne more now to go with it as a match. Launchpad's informative post gave me more confidence to go ahead and upgrade now, so I'm glad this thread was made. :p

AegisXIII

Awards
I'd been planning to get the All-in-One package for PS4 eventually, although it hasn't been a priority. But seeing the cover for Melody of Memory with the picture of Kairi on the throne, no lie I started wanting the All-in-One package with Sora on the throne more now to go with it as a match. Launchpad's informative post gave me more confidence to go ahead and upgrade now, so I'm glad this thread was made. :p
Which version do you have? If you had ps3, you should get it. The 60fps is so much better.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I have KH1 through re:Coded on PS3. 3D, 0.2, and KH3 are the only games I have on PS4. I admit wanting the matching covers is very shallow of me, lol, so I'm glad I have that extra reasoning to get it now.

AegisXIII

Awards
I understand. I was tempted to grab it as well. But since I have them all on ps4 already, I decided to wait for the hypothetical ps5 ultimate bundle. 😆

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
OH! Are we talking individual remasters in general!? Oh, okay then, I'm going to 100% with Launchpad. KH2 and KH BBS on the PS3 was SOOO frustrating. At the very least Re:CoM ran at a decent speed.

Also, I'm just waiting for the PS5 Bundle as well. Two things though: 1. Who are we all kidding? After that bundle, a few more KH games will come out (which we'll buy) and then they introduce the next bundle (then repeat the process all over again) 2. If we have save data on our PS4 accounts, I wish they would transfer over (I spent a helluva long time on KH3)

AegisXIII

Awards
OH! Are we talking individual remasters in general!? Oh, okay then, I'm going to 100% with Launchpad. KH2 and KH BBS on the PS3 was SOOO frustrating. At the very least Re:CoM ran at a decent speed.

Also, I'm just waiting for the PS5 Bundle as well. Two things though: 1. Who are we all kidding? After that bundle, a few more KH games will come out (which we'll buy) and then they introduce the next bundle (then repeat the process all over again) 2. If we have save data on our PS4 accounts, I wish they would transfer over (I spent a helluva long time on KH3)

This raises a big question: what would a potential ps5 package propose? The ps4 had the 60fps which was a huge +.
Remember that there are two additional teams, despite the main one: one on Melody of Memory and one on an unknown project.
The Melody of Memory team got acquainted with the old graphics engine. I am wondering if they will switch to another project with the old graphics after this game. And my wet dream would be: playable 358/2 days and playable re:coded.
Think about it: the movies are great but are missing crucial moments summarized under the form of text. That's not good storytelling and a lot of fans still play days on the emulator to have a better immersion.
The second team might be working on a playable remaster of X with the new engine.

And thus it is not impossible to imagine that we might get a Dark Seeker saga package on PS5 with:
KH1.5
KH2.5
KH2.8
and...
KH3.5 (KH3+ReMind+MoM)

Now that would be a crazy release for the 20th anniversary, don't you think?

And in the meantime, the main team is working on KH4 or Verum Rex stuff.

Back