• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Which is most tragic?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
And I think being able to view the events from the eyes of all three protagonists helped to make a stronger connection with them. We walk with them in tandem and see everything through their perspective. It gives us a more rounded understanding of the characters and the circumstances they found themselves in. Their struggle was our struggle and it made the losses more real in that sense.

This is a great point. I say BBS is more tragic than Days and this is a big reason why. We got to play as and see the story from all 3 perspectives and got more out of the story. Meanwhile, in Days you only get to play/see events as Roxas and while you see some scenes from Xion and Axel's perspective it's not nearly enough to get me as attached or invested in them like in BBS.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
Through out the kingdom hearts series we have seen events unfold that are not quite the happiest of tales... But which game do you believe is the most tragic? I think BBS was a very tragic game considering all of the main characters got screwed over at the end.

I must completely agree with you. Birth by Sleep was the most life-destroying of the games in this franchise, followed rather closely by Dream Drop Distance (in my opinion). One lost to the dark realm, one in a coma never to wake, and another trapped with the heart of the madman behind everything.

I love how they only had the one game, and I got so invested in these characters that they are my main reason for remaining with the series aside from the story itself. That and Xemnas' English voice.

BadGirlDriDri

BBS was just so sad to watch unfold. Just event, after event leading them into some fate where they have to wait nearly a decade before Aqua gets any hope of being saved. I guess its the helplessness that makes it more "tragic". Nothing anyone could have done would have changed their fate, and that's what makes it more sad.

Xion wondering around like a mule for awhile and then learning she's basically a glorified RPG Mule comes in close second. I shed real Jesus tears at the ending.

Shasta

Awards
I'd have to say Days was the most tragic game, in terms of perspective. We as the player know what's going to happen to the cast long before it happens. While Xion was new to us, before DDD we knew she wouldn't be returning, simply because of her absence from Kingdom Hearts II. It honestly just feels like the characters are fighting a losing battle the entire time.

We gain an insight on a friendship that was torn apart, not by some outside force, but from their own Organization. Roxas is outright forced to fight and kill one of his best friends, and by the same notion, so is Xion. It worsens the blow once we know only one of them gets to live and the other has to disappear forever. It definitely isn't the same as BbS.

Atleast in BbS, each character (outside of Ventus) were allowed to make their own choices in the game, and that ultimately decided the outcome of their respective stories.

Both games are tragic in their own way, but Days takes the cake, simply because we know they have no hope from the very start.

Samhain

Bronze Member
I'd have to say Days was the most tragic game, in terms of perspective. We as the player know what's going to happen to the cast long before it happens. While Xion was new to us, before DDD we knew she wouldn't be returning, simply because of her absence from Kingdom Hearts II. It honestly just feels like the characters are fighting a losing battle the entire time.

We gain an insight on a friendship that was torn apart, not by some outside force, but from their own Organization. Roxas is outright forced to fight and kill one of his best friends, and by the same notion, so is Xion. It worsens the blow once we know only one of them gets to live and the other has to disappear forever. It definitely isn't the same as BbS.

Atleast in BbS, each character (outside of Ventus) were allowed to make their own choices in the game, and that ultimately decided the outcome of their respective stories.

Both games are tragic in their own way, but Days takes the cake, simply because we know they have no hope from the very start.

Neither did the BBS guys
They had no hope from the very start as well because they weren't even in KH1, or KH2...not even mentioned via names, or even remembered

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Neither did the BBS guys
They had no hope from the very start as well because they weren't even in KH1, or KH2...not even mentioned via names, or even remembered

This is indeed a very valid point.
Additionally on top comes also the fact that, in terms of time that passed, the BBS guys are in torment far longer than Roxas or Xion.

Kazr10

Bronze Member
Awards
The most tragic are the unnamed and unseen NPCs that gave up their hearts and bodies for us to grind on.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
The most tragic are the unnamed and unseen NPCs that gave up their hearts and bodies for us to grind on.

At least, with the Keyblade their hearts are returned to Kingdom Hearts, thus releasing them from the grasp of darkness. ;P

In all seriousness, I will have to go with BbS, and I'm on the same boat as Samhain. We know the game took place before KH1, yet in KH1 we neither heard nor see any of the main protagonists, similar to the Xion case brought forward by Shasta but with four characters: TAV and Eraqus. You just know that something - some bad stuff - will happen to them and you're powerless to stop it. It's somewhat like knowing that you only have little time to live, but not knowing how you will die.

When playing BbS, especially nearing the end, I wanted to continue but at the same time I didn't. It was a pretty depressing experience.

Last edited:

Shasta

Awards
Neither did the BBS guys
I definitely didn't mean to give the BbS trio the cold shoulder, I'm just talking about it in a perspective point of view (before we knew about BbS and DDD) we know exactly what happens to the Days cast (outside of Xion).

So I kind of meant it like this if it makes sense: Before Days was released, we pretty much knew exactly what was going to happen to Roxas and Axel because of Kingdom Hearts II, adding that sort of depressing undertone to it.

In Birth by Sleep, we can sort of figure out what happens to the characters before the ending events of the game happen, but we had no idea how it was going to end up for them since there was nothing to show for before the events of the game itself, (unless you want to count the Terra theory that was going on sometime before the release of the game) and the characters not having even a slight mention in previous games.

So in short, I'm tackling it from a player perspective, not the character's.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
During Days, you as a player already knew there was no hope. I'm not saying that there isn't hope NOW for those characters, but a couple of the BbS crew have quite a bit of it right now. For the future, anyways.

But I say Days is more 'tragic,' mostly because of the WAY events transpire.

Under the definition of tragic, they really both fit the bill, though.
Tragic: deeply sad; or provoking deep sadness, distress, or grief

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Its obvious some of us experienced these games differently.

We can tell each other the truth, be it by facts or pointing out events but in the end we can't change the experience of emotions we went through.

Like I see all these valid points of the BBS trio and I could care less. My dedication to this game was obviously different as compared to other entries(I'm not dissing it, I love BBS, gameplay wise.)

My favorite KH character in the whole series is Aqua, but did I feel sad for her? No. Bad? Yes. Angry for her? Definitely. She was the only one I could relate to in the BBS trio, but the game did her no justice for her development. Terra and Ventus, while I acknowledge their importance to the series, could care less. That explains why my Aqua file is 99% and theirs are severely low.

Breaking away from those 2, what other entries do you guys consider tragic?

1 and Re:Coded while both ended with promises and somewhat happy notes, feel somewhat tragic to me. The separation of Sora, Riku and kairi, and the reality of Data Sora made me feel uncomfortable.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
We can tell each other the truth, be it by facts or pointing out events but in the end we can't change the experience of emotions we went through.

Correct, that's why a truly objective statement of which is/was most tragic isn't really possible.
There's always a subjective factor included and I personally also do not really like to offset some people's suffering against that of others.

To say that Person X "suffers more" than Person Y always has the danger of somehow invalidating or dismissing Person Y's problems.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I sort of want to take this on a different angle, since Absent brought up Re:coded.

In the Castle Oblivion segment of the game, Data-Roxas taunts Data-Sora about "the hurt." The journal's mysterious entry says "Their hurting will be mended when you return to end it."

So, what if we turn this around and ask who is hurting more? Would that be more easily quantifiable? Or would it be only a slightly different circular discussion of opinions and interpretations?

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
Correct, that's why a truly objective statement of which is/was most tragic isn't really possible.
There's always a subjective factor included and I personally also do not really like to offset some people's suffering against that of others.

To say that Person X "suffers more" than Person Y always has the danger of somehow invalidating or dismissing Person Y's problems.
I really like hearing those opinions, though. Sometimes you come across things that you yourself might not have thought of, and there's no shame in changing your opinion or trying to get others to see your point.

Otherwise...I vote Coded, as well. There was just something I really loved about Data Sora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back