• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Which elements do you consider most vital for a game?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veevee

Awards
Title says it all. xD I am totally the type to go for characters ... I can live with a story being bland if there are charming characters that are able to carry it. I can't get too involved with a story where I hate the characters ... I don't mean hate like in "this villain is so despicable" but the characters being too cliché, dull, whatever. Good graphics are nice to have, but not a must and I like a good sound, but as long as it doesn't sound too horrible, I usually don't notice it too much anyway.
Controls are also quite a thing, one that can reduce a great game to a nice game. I like if you can change the controls to your liking to an extent, like for the Nintendo DS it's a huge plus if you aren't forced to use the touchscreen for everything and do the same stuff with buttons.

That pretty much summarizes me :3 I'm curious about your opinion!

Muke

whatever
Awards
Tough, really tough.

I... I have to say gameplay. I can accept the story being kind of meh if the gameplay is really good (Kingdom Hearts 2...), but I can't deal with bad gameplay at all, even if I like the story or the characters a lot. I love TAV, MX, and Vanitas, but I just can't actively say "I like BBS" because the gameplay simply sucks imo and the story isn't that great either.

I'd say like… it should be a really good mix of a great story and awesome gameplay, then I'm fine. Is the gameplay awesome but the story just meh? Good, I can deal with that. Is the story awesome but the gameplay is meh? Nooooo.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Characters. If characters suck then go home (looking at you, Final Fantasy VIII).
Gameplay is pretty important, too.

Not Ienzo

Website
www.fanfiction.net
I'd say that gameplay should be the most important thing. Story is great, but if I don't enjoy the gameplay then I won't enjoy the game.

Then again, even if I don't enjoy the gameplay, I might get so hooked on the story that I want to know everything that happens even if the game is a chore to get through.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
gameplay and design are undoubtedly most important, with story and atmosphere coming secondary. if you have an amazing story and characters but the controls are clunky and its more frustrsting to play through than it's worth, then it should have been a different medium instead. someone could argue with something minimalistic like TLoU but that game had amazing design and the simple gameplay worked well enough as a vehicle.

Scatterbrained

My answer differs between genres, but the most important thing across the medium would be the ability to engage the player. I wouldn't even say that it has be fun necessarily. There are some philosophical games out there that aren't really fun to play in the conventional sense, but they have a certain quality that makes them engaging.

Veevee

Awards
Tough, really tough.

I... I have to say gameplay. I can accept the story being kind of meh if the gameplay is really good (Kingdom Hearts 2...), but I can't deal with bad gameplay at all, even if I like the story or the characters a lot. I love TAV, MX, and Vanitas, but I just can't actively say "I like BBS" because the gameplay simply sucks imo and the story isn't that great either.

I'd say like… it should be a really good mix of a great story and awesome gameplay, then I'm fine. Is the gameplay awesome but the story just meh? Good, I can deal with that. Is the story awesome but the gameplay is meh? Nooooo.

I talked about games and totally forgot the gameplay, lol xD yeah, I totally agree even though I like the BBS gameplay actually. There are quite a few games that got me really interested in the story, but I just didn't have any fun with the gameplay so playing feels more like a job than like something you relax with. Famous examples for me were The world ends with you (I'm really sad about that), Xenoblade Chronicles, Final Fantasy 8, Resonance of Fate, Final Fantasy Type-0 ... I wouldn't say they have bad gameplay, but I simply don't like it.

Tyrant Raver

The Dragon
Awards
New game+, in other words... Replayability. Ever since Chrono Trigger, I can't play a game without New Game +.

Also in that regard, give it at least branching paths for alternate endings, scenes and outcomes etc. I just love the element of real Role Playing in some games. Difficulty is optional, make it difficult but it must have a good pay-off.

ImVentus

Awards
I go first for the gameplay and overall design of the game, second characters, third story, fourth music, fifth voice acting. Although I would say that music is very important to feel some atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back