• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► which Anti-virus is best?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuuki

I'm the darkness within the shadows
So I'll be getting a laptop soon and I've been wondering which anti-virus is best?. my current pc has "ESET Smart Security 4" but because of the keys dying so fast I kinda started hating it. so which anti-virus is best?

Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast!
Avira Anti-virus
Norton
ESET NOD32 Anti-virus 4
ESET Smart Security 4
BitDefender Anti-virus
AVG Anti-virus
Vipre Anti-virus
Trend Micro titanium

this are the only ones I hear good things about so out of all of them, which is better? I need an anti-virus so I hope you can help.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Just don't get Norton. Damn program gave my computer a virus while I was uninstalling it. I've been using McAfee for a good while, its pretty good.

Hollow Bastion

Crimson
Awards
I tell people to go with Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, or AVG. I hate Norton/Symantec and McAfee. The rest, I haven't had much experience with.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
Avast is definitely the best I've ever used; probably the only one that's ever worked as well. Just make sure all your firewalls and whatnot are up as well and don't go on any suspicious sites and do NOT download something for the sake of it.

Hollow Bastion

Crimson
Awards
Just some ideas:

Get only 1 AV program. One and only one. Suggestions made earlier.

Get a couple or so anti-malware programs. I use Ad-Aware SE, but I know Spybot and Malwarebytes are good.

Install Web of Trust (WOT). It's good for checking how good a site is/isn't based on user votes/ratings.

Last edited:

Yuuki

can i get an anti-malware while having a anti-virus? (dumb as fuck.....)

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
can i get an anti-malware while having a anti-virus? (dumb as bonk.....)

Yes. Anti-virus programs detect, well, viruses, which arent quite the same thing as malware. You can have both without any problems. but never install two anti-virus programs together because that's begging for problems (e.g you can have Avast+Malwarebytes, but don't install MSE+AVG)

As for which ones:

Microsoft Security Essentials

^

and Spybot. Malwarebytes for emergencies. Light, speedy, and all you really need.

Ad-Aware, Avast, and AVG are good but they also feel kinda bloated. While this may seem paradoxical, commercial anti-virus programs tend to be shit in my experience. Stay the hell away from Norton, Trend Micro, etc.

Last edited:

αsiя

space coke
Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware = All you need.

Yuuki

well I got Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Pro and My Web of Trust. so anything else I should get to keep my pc safe?

Lumine

When your Mask falls, what will you see.
Awards
I'm using KasperSky internet security 2011, it works well for me so far. I've used Norton before but it was terrible >.<, completely slowed down my computer and actually infected it with a virus :\. Has anyone tried KasperSky before?, if so What do you think about it?

Judging from your feedback about Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials, I think I'll take that advice for the next time I set up an anti-virus ^ ^.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back