• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Where can I find the first Final Fantasy 1 review at Famitsu magazine?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Kolobamanacas

Hi guys.

Wiki states that the very first review for the very first Final Fantasy game was made by Famitsu magazine. Does anyone have an idea of is it possible to buy (or get) a scan of that volume/number somehow?

I am creating a video with a brief history of creation of FF1 and I thought it would be nice to mention that article, but I can't find it anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I don't know, but I'll help you in your searches! Sounds like a fun scavenger hunt.

edit: Final Fantasy released in 1987. So finding older reviews is tough since you'll be mostly looking into older Japanese sources and archives. I unfortunately can't translate. But the Famitsu issue I believe you want is Issue 39. RetroMags has the cover, but unfortunately no page content. Issue 39 came out December 25th, 1987, 7 days after Final Fantasy.

Believe it or not, the Wiki has a lot of good information. This article gives a very good history on the origins of the early video games industry from the 1980s including Nintendo, Square and more.

I couldn't find older reviews per say on the game. I believe most will be coming from Japanese audiences and are archived. Peer Schneider, IGN, does review the updated WonderSwan game back in 2001.

I'll keep looking, but this is what I got for now.

Last edited:

Kolobamanacas

That's a positive passion! :) Thanks a lot!

Actually I've read tons of articles about the topic and my draft script for the video consists of more than 3000 words. :) I will go through the links you mentioned as well, thank you!

I just think that that particular review is worth to be mentioned because Famitsu was the only magazine who agreed to make review for "another Dragon Quest clone" at that time. At least now I know the issue number and have a cover. That's something. I could try to reach some guys from Japan, who could have a copy and ask them to photo or scan it.

By the way, do you want another challenge? Or I would even say a complete mystery. Try to find photo of Square founder Masafumi Miyamoto. I spent more than a week trying to find his photo. I even wrote to Square Enix with appropriate request (they didn't answer). I found a lot of facts from his biography, dates, numbers, even an address of his mansion somewhere in US, but not the photo.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I searched for a couple hours and nothing. I searched for leads through his university and high school (Nada) but came up empty handed. He may be a protected person via government. You'll find all sorts of old photos for Square, but nothing with Masafumi. I tried WayBack Machine and nothing.

I did, however, find out where he lives. Here's his estate. That's the best I got =/

Kolobamanacas

A guy from retrogameboards.com helped me to find the appropriate article. Here it is just in case someone else need it:

CJCVZhV.jpg

Back