• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Where are all the Kingdom Hearts fan games?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

makine

Awards
It just strikes me as odd that there's not really a fan game community around this franchise. So far all I've seen has been some sprites and this ambitious attempt.

[video=vimeo;135815433]https://vimeo.com/135815433[/video]
[video=vimeo;149839153]https://vimeo.com/149839153[/video]

And it's not like the narrative is so tight that you can't make a game without messing up canon. You can set it before [chi] or in the Realm of Sleep. You can put in worlds that haven't been seen at all. It's actually a pretty big playground when you think about it. So where they at?

LingeringVanitas

Those look great, they obviously need a LOT of work. But if its a work in progress? Actually I'm surprised the dev didn't grab the health bar from the the sprites they made years ago...some Kingdom Hearts forum had a very popular and big "sprite" community and they made dozens of sprites, including the Health Bar. I would have just did that, or render it your self from a screenshot. Looks like a lot of it is handmade which is ambitious. And having Kairi as the main character is awesome. I would totally play that. And your right, there isn't really any at all fan made games based on KH....you'd think there would be considering how much you can even do with RPG Maker even if it was a 2d game I'd still play it.

OR do a rom hack using the GBA Chain of Memories game as a "base" for sprites etc. In fact a lot of the custom sprites that were made years ago were based on the gba COM sprites. But even surprised there wasn't a rom hack from the GBA CoM

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I've been feeling similarly, especially watching fangames arising a lot in other community such as Undertale and FNAF. I think the big reason for why there aren't really any KH fangames though is not due to a lack of attempts, but just how much work it would take to do, especially if you're trying to mimic the games as we know them (3d world, ARPG combat, etc). And I imagine people's ambitions get the better of them. Like they want to make this big amazing thing and then run out of steam, as opposed to trying to focus on making something smaller first.

I'd love to see some being made though as I definitely think it would be something that could help make the news droughts and wait between games a little easier to swallow, but it's hard to deny it would take a lot of work to pull off. I just don't think people should really aim to replicate the KH games as we know them, but rather attempt other gameplay and art styles, aim for smaller self-contained stories and games, and so on.

LingeringVanitas

I understand the work involved especially if its from scratch. Not to mention if it's 3d...you got to have the "machine" assuming its made on a PC that is capable of doing that. I attempted my own RPG about 10 years ago using RPG maker 2000. BY MY SELF. And it was a fail to say the least. Mostly because I had no friends, or anyone that was interested in RPG's that would even want to help. A "team" is a must have....if you don't have a team working on it I don't know how you could do it. I guess it's "possible" to do it by your self but it'd take a lot out of you. A team of friends working on "script" and maybe another team of people working on the graphics or the concept for "design" like for towns etc....it's a lot of work.

makine

Awards
I've been feeling similarly, especially watching fangames arising a lot in other community such as Undertale and FNAF. I think the big reason for why there aren't really any KH fangames though is not due to a lack of attempts, but just how much work it would take to do, especially if you're trying to mimic the games as we know them (3d world, ARPG combat, etc). And I imagine people's ambitions get the better of them. Like they want to make this big amazing thing and then run out of steam, as opposed to trying to focus on making something smaller first.

I'd love to see some being made though as I definitely think it would be something that could help make the news droughts and wait between games a little easier to swallow, but it's hard to deny it would take a lot of work to pull off. I just don't think people should really aim to replicate the KH games as we know them, but rather attempt other gameplay and art styles, aim for smaller self-contained stories and games, and so on.

But as a counterpoint, people are loving Unchained. That shows that the community is willing to accept a lower scale version.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
But as a counterpoint, people are loving Unchained. That shows that the community is willing to accept a lower scale version.
True enough. I'm kind of wondering if it has anything to do with Disney's copyright policies, but I'm not too sure how those things work anyways.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I don't really think it was an issue of what the community would accept. I just think, prior to Unchained, that when most people set out to make a fan-game, they imagined emulating the series as it was currently known. Perhaps now that Unchained has shown that you can make a KH game like that, maybe more people will attempt to do 2D fangames and do away with attempting to recreate the core series' gameplay and presentation

True enough. I'm kind of wondering if it has anything to do with Disney's copyright policies, but I'm not too sure how those things work anyways.
I don't think any KH fangame has gotten far enough along or been widely known for that to have become a factor. Most of them that I've known of just fizzled out.

makine

Awards
I don't really think it was an issue of what the community would accept. I just think, prior to Unchained, that when most people set out to make a fan-game, they imagined emulating the series as it was currently known. Perhaps now that Unchained has shown that you can make a KH game like that, maybe more people will attempt to do 2D fangames and do away with attempting to recreate the core series' gameplay and presentation

I don't think any KH fangame has gotten far enough along or been widely known for that to have become a factor. Most of them that I've known of just fizzled out.

Well before Unchained there was Chain of Memories. I would love to see a Halo Zero style demake of KH1 and 2.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Well before Unchained there was Chain of Memories.
Most people didn't like its gameplay though. And thus would probably try to shy away from emulating it.

Anyway, none of this really matters, I was just trying to explain why I thought there hadn't been many fangames and the struggles many had when trying to emulate the 3D KHes. Perhaps Unchained will inspire new attempts. I'd like to see it anyway, since, again, it would help between games and during news droughts. But regardless of 3D or 2D it is still a ridiculous amount of work, the plug of which can be pulled at any moment, and that's why we don't have many/any. People just burn out. From lack of experience. The amount of work. And so on.

(clearly what we need tho is a visual novel fangame)

makine

Awards
Ooh, that would be neat... but I'm starting to wonder, what if someone made a KH game in a FF VI sort of style? ATB mechanics, sprites, and all that good JRPG stuff (that the FF fanbase will never shut up about)?

Seems a bit more feasible than creating a fully 3D game.
A la Re:coded coliseum.
imagejpeg

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Another good thing about Unchained is that it kind of shows us that a KH story doesn't have to be Big and Loud. It can be more understated and subtle. Which is a lot easier for fangames to pull off, which might help inspire people to come up with decent stories, too, since they won't feel the pressure of having it to be a big spectacle.

Wander

I have a great idea for a game that would be really popular. Basically, we take Unchained in its entirery, right? Now bear with me, this next part might be a little far-fetched. We port it for European fans.

Wow!

redcrown

Awards
Are there any well known or even completed KH fan games? I only knew of one years ago, it was more like one person's small pet project so I doubt it was ever finished.

Awards
I was working on one (Kingdom Hearts: Ends of Echoes), on and off for years. I lost a lot of progress with a computer crash, but it's always something I want to try and get back to.

amkgames

Website
amk-games.comule.com
I was working on a fan game named Kingdom Hearts World Of Hearts. It's story was set before KH3. But I have decided to change it to a game inspired by Kingdom Hearts by removing copyright materials and changing name because of copyright issues in the future.
You can check it here: Kingdom Hearts World Of Hearts.

God Emperor

I am currently working on one called Kingdom Hearts - The Lost Chapters but I am at a point that I cant go any further without an artist... I have posted details and pics of the game in the Creative Media section of the forum. If anyone is interested let me know :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back