• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's with all the KH2 hate?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
^it's the repeating my self part that i hate. It's less the people i'm repeating too, just the fact that these threads continue to come up and the same 6 people say the same thing every time: "nerfed enemies and strengthed skills, graphics are better, but don't help gameplay and drive/reactions are pretty useless or are just nerfed form of what was good in the first game." IF the person actually read the KHII hate threads s/he'd understand why people hate it. It's always been my firm opinon that, like most forums, you could probably understand why people like/hate something if you read what they've said. You, of all people, should understand why i post things like things like this, just i haven't switched sides yet.

Puck

THE GHOST ELF of LONG BEACH
I understand. You don't like it. We all know you don't like the game. You've proven it already. There's no need to repeat now.

Dragonstar1715

Website
dragonstar1715.deviantart.com
I liked KH2 for its new features and graphics, however KH2 lacked storyline, KH1 had a much deeper storyline and was more emotional, plus the abilities you could use compared to KH2 were way better, I love Ars Arcarnum and Ragnarok :). KH2 FM+ im sure would be great if they released it in Europe or America, but a thing to know about English Dubs compared to Japanese Dubs is that the Japanese are not afraid to show emotion in thier games/TV Shows/Movies etc. so its apparent that the Japanese versions will always rule over the English Dubs.

Z3120

KH2 FM+ im sure would be great if they released it in Europe or America, but a thing to know about English Dubs compared to Japanese Dubs is that the Japanese are not afraid to show emotion in thier games/TV Shows/Movies etc. so its apparent that the Japanese versions will always rule over the English Dubs.

Hey, wait a minute. You saying English voice actors in general suck? I would definitely agree with you especially those generic sounding ones companies cheaply pay for to do in most games and in a lot of animes, but Japanese dubs more than English dubs? Depends. If you think about how much companies are actually willing to spend on talent and the price tag of our talent pool of voice actors and actresses along with trying to sell a not-so-well-known J-RPG compared to a FPS title on the 360 in the U.S., you listen to what these companies are willing to spend although some companies (like Nippon-Ichi) do a nice job with their limited budget in such games like GrimGrimoire. I think you're undervaluing something here... And well, it is also a culture thing if you're trying to compare performances by two different traditions on the same incident with the same type of characters. It's your opinion nonetheless on what you prefer but to say "the Japanese are not afraid to show emotion in thier games/TV Shows/Movies etc.", I'm not quite sure how else to reply...

Lone Wolf said:
Who cares what people say about KH2. The point is it is very popular so they are doing something right.

Doesn't mean a game should not be without criticism.

monkey flute said:
if people hate kingdom hearts ii, let them be. you can't really blame them. just listen to your own opinions and ignore what other people say... bad about it.

Those people might turn out to be totally devoted fanboys if they ignore literally whatever ounce of criticism said though :thumbsup:

pwn3d said:
Seriously though, which characters are "amazing"

I think what's amazing about the characters is the concept behind it. That's it really. Is there any substance for their motives though? It's non-existent at this point. When things are all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if I rate the upcoming KH game on the PSP higher than KH2:FM+ since it's suppose to fill out details left out in KH2.

Last edited:

Soraclaws

Website
z8.invisionfree.com
The game was good in my opinion, but some people just don't like kingdom hearts in general, you can't blame them it's their opinion. Yea the graphics improved, more worlds, and a lot more stuff, but for whatever reason that they have they didn't like it...

Puck

KH1 required a lot of thought? I think you're giving it too much credit. All the bosses in the game required the mashing of X. In fact all RPGs require the mashing of X on the PS2.

Riku191

i mean thats all kh2 was in kh1 u had to use stratigy nothing in kh2 required stratigy all bosses were easy and sephiroth sucked in that game

Dman2.0

i didnt need to use any statagy in kh1 untill i equipped the strike raid and power up items to beat sepheroth

Puck

Yeah, I didn't need strategy either in KH1. All the bosses were the same as the ones in KH2. Bash them to death.

SH_Brat

I'm just going to stte my opinion. Don't get me wrong KH2 was a fun game.

KH2 sucked. The graphics, unlike the first one, were cutesy kiddie graphics. It reminds me a lot of the crap they are showing on the Disney channel or later Winnie the Pooh Movies they made( like that one with the Heffalump movie or all that other stuff they are making with Pooh in it, like those dumb new television shows{that doesn't count the new adventures of winnie the pooh, those were good}). It ticks me off. The story line was to be debated. I mean, I liked it, but it was too serious for the graphics they were presenting which made it far less enjoyable. Not to mention some people really didn't seem to get the story line. Sora was an idiot. What happened? Did Namine scramble his process of thought and ability to think and ask questions when she fixed his mind? Goffy reminded me of the more serious one in the movies he stars in. I have no problem with that, but they started out using the old silly Goofy, which just seemed to fit better with the game. The world plots were corny. They were all about love and being reunited with it. Okay we get the picture, Sora loves Kairi. That was apparent in the first game. It pisses me off even more to think that the next game Sora appears in will probably be about marriage. Think about it people. Oh yeah, speaking of Winnie the Pooh, that level sucked. It was corny, hard and it was formated ridclusly. Not to mention that they totally ruined Pooh's character. Even if he couldn't remember Sora from before, he is still capable of remembering a name he has heard in the last five seconds. I think if they even attempt to bring that world back they should make it like in the first game. Riku was lame. He turned into a wimp. Namine turned from a cool girl to some sort of... I don't know. Kairi... I never liked her anyway. Also, this is entirely my own pet peave; Pirates sucked in this game. They could have made it so much better and they excluded Commodore Norrington. That made me even more mad. He was a big part of the movies people. Give the man some credit, not to mention respect. Now, if you take away all that all you are left with is good gameplay, which is all it was, good gameplay.

Dragonstar1715

Website
Hey, wait a minute. You saying English voice actors in general suck? I would definitely agree with you especially those generic sounding ones companies cheaply pay for to do in most games and in a lot of animes, but Japanese dubs more than English dubs? Depends. If you think about how much companies are actually willing to spend on talent and the price tag of our talent pool of voice actors and actresses along with trying to sell a not-so-well-known J-RPG compared to a FPS title on the 360 in the U.S., you listen to what these companies are willing to spend although some companies (like Nippon-Ichi) do a nice job with their limited budget in such games like GrimGrimoire. I think you're undervaluing something here... And well, it is also a culture thing if you're trying to compare performances by two different traditions on the same incident with the same type of characters. It's your opinion nonetheless on what you prefer but to say "the Japanese are not afraid to show emotion in thier games/TV Shows/Movies etc.", I'm not quite sure how else to reply...

What I mean is that like the Japanese swear alot more in animes, and I noticed this when compared the Japanese versions of animes to their english dub counterparts. Plus like you see a lot of stuff cut out of the japanese versions when creating the english dubs of games, probably because of american culture and values, like for instance guns, racism, sexuality etc. And the scenes of japanese animes usually show more emotion in terms of Anger, Sadness etc. and have a lot more darker themes and when it goes to the english version you can see dramatic changes to those scenes or just cut them out altogether.

And with movies, and this applies alot to Japanese horrors going to english (The Ring, The Grudge etc.) people will say most of the time that the japanese versions are better than the english version of the same movies. Again this is would have to do iwth cultural differences and values so I can say that it doesn't suprise me in some cases.

Now I'm not sure about japanese video games, because I never imported a japanese game before to see. But its just my assumption that japanese versions of games follow the same standards as movies and TV.

Z3120

Dragonstar1715, I see where you're coming from now. But when you previously said,

...but a thing to know about English Dubs compared to Japanese Dubs is that the Japanese are not afraid to show emotion in thier games/TV Shows/Movies etc. so its apparent that the Japanese versions will always rule over the English Dubs.

it sounded like you were completely bias to anything voiced in English in general especially when you stated examples like games, TV shows, movies and etc... making it seem like you didn't like any of the voice talents in the U.S. when there are exceptional ones around, just not available when you have companies skimping on money when dubbing for J-RPGs and such. But now that you've explained yourself, I think you meant the original source material is better than the localization counterpart in most cases, right? When you talked about the Ring and Grudge, yeah, I can see what you mean. But the way you sounded in your previous post, it's like saying a movie like the Shawshank Redemption or Forrest Gump, which was originally in English, would sound better in Japanese. Because if that's what I thought you meant at first, then I'm not sure you should even be a judge what's good and bad English if you think everything is better in Japanese.

Dragonstar1715

Website
its true with a lot of things that come from other countries and are localised in english context, dubbing has been the subject of a lot of scrutiny because of the fact that a lot of the true meaning of the movie/show is lost in the dubbing process becuse of lost values/culture that would be present in the original and in some cases not so in your face, referring to a lot of horror and action movies that are dubbed.

I am generally not a bias person, some things yes but others no, I just generally state the facts without trying to sound bias,

Puck

Alright, i'm going to admit it. I just played KH1 again today and yes. YES. It is much harder than KH2. And I found out why. In KH1, there is a hit and miss factor in the battle system. Meaning, whenever you swing there's a chance you might not hit your target. Also the bosses aren't knocked back when you hit them, they just keep attacking while you attack. This resulted into a very chaotic battles.

Now I kind of blame this on the Sora bashers. They kept going on that Sora was too slow and didn't look cool with a three hit combo. Well they got their wish. Sora is fast and furious. But you sacrificed a challenging battle system for cool flashiness. I still love KH2 but I cannot deny that I sort of like KH1's simplistic battle system.

ekelgs

Alright, i'm going to admit it. I just played KH1 again today and yes. YES. It is much harder than KH2. And I found out why. In KH1, there is a hit and miss factor in the battle system. Meaning, whenever you swing there's a chance you might not hit your target. Also the bosses aren't knocked back when you hit them, they just keep attacking while you attack. This resulted into a very chaotic battles.

Now I kind of blame this on the Sora bashers. They kept going on that Sora was too slow and didn't look cool with a three hit combo. Well they got their wish. Sora is fast and furious. But you sacrificed a challenging battle system for cool flashiness. I still love KH2 but I cannot deny that I sort of like KH1's simplistic battle system.

hmm....I think I like both game in terms of the battle system. I deffinately liked KH1, like you said for it's simplistic, yet fun battle system. Though with the anticipation of the second game, I think it was wise of them to decorate and jazz up the whole thing. The complex battle system fits the game, because the sequel at this stage is now complex itself, so it balances it out. At first when I played KH2 I was so impressed with Roxas flying all over the screen in the first boss battle. It was so different from the previous game. Though, after my first time through, my eye caught the repeated actions the characters played out in battle, and rather than it being impressive it felt sort of.... repetative, and very confined?

Overall, the games are genuine in my opinion. Very fun, and well thought out. But the only thing that really killed it for me in KH2 was the storyline. I love the actually story. In KH1 at least you got a good chunk of info at the end of every world. KH2's story=beginning, middle, end, and the rest of it was just fillers, and fillers suck (also I wish like in kh1, you could go higher than ground level/mutiple levels in some worlds) Gah, and I wanted to fight tenticle heartless in Atlantica, underwater fighting was amazing :( These lacked features made me a little upset. Though the game was still good, I just feel it didn't have as much freedom as KH1. Oh, and sorry if anyone already mentioned that, I just wanted to say how I felt.

Puck

What they need to do in the sequels is put the powerful attacks like explosion in seperate menu slots. Have it so you can pick your menu slots. One slot has items, one slot has explosion or some powerful ability, one has magic, and the other has the regular three hit attack.

Dragonstar1715

Website
I think that its the addition of these new abilities/limits/drive forms and also the fact that enemies flinch when attacking that makes KH2 so much easier than KH1, I mean I played it on Proud mode so many times and its easy as, even sephiroth has become so easy in KH2 and in KH1 you didn't have the benefits of such abilities in KH2 so it ACTUALLY made you strategise your moves, but hopefully with the addition with new enemies, abilties and the addtion of Critical mode in FM+ that it might pick up the slack that KH2 couldn't

Puck

For some reason, Sephiroth on Proud mode is still challenging to me because I can't beat him. But yeah, KH2 is easier because the enemies do flinch more.

Z3120

Dragonstar1715 said:
its true with a lot of things that come from other countries and are localised in english context, dubbing has been the subject of a lot of scrutiny because of the fact that a lot of the true meaning of the movie/show is lost in the dubbing process becuse of lost values/culture that would be present in the original and in some cases not so in your face, referring to a lot of horror and action movies that are dubbed.

I am generally not a bias person, some things yes but others no, I just generally state the facts without trying to sound bias,

Oh, I already know about the context thing. Philosophy is a prime example of this besides ancient scriptures and such. It's just that, yeah, you were very misleading in your first post. But when you elaborated yourself, I got a better understanding of where you're coming from like I've repeatedly said already like a broken record. It's just when you first posted... well, I just had a bone to pick since it sounded like you didn't like anything in English at all. This little conversation is settled :thumbsup:

but hopefully with the addition with new enemies, abilties and the addtion of Critical mode in FM+ that it might pick up the slack that KH2 couldn't

KH2:FM is harder actually like everyone, who wanted a harder challenge, were yearning for. Critical Mode is basically 3-hits you're dead. As for the difficulty, you make what you will of it. The EXP Zero ability is brutal but quite fun. The name is what it sounds like. When equipped, and it's optional of course, Sora gains no experience at all when activated.

Puck said:
What they need to do in the sequels is put the powerful attacks like explosion in seperate menu slots. Have it so you can pick your menu slots. One slot has items, one slot has explosion or some powerful ability, one has magic, and the other has the regular three hit attack.

Allow customization of buttons eh? I think they're fine the way they are though it differs between different people I suppose.

ekelgs said:
I think I like both game in terms of the battle system

They're both nice battle systems indeed, but I think a lot of people don't like to admit KH2 was overly easy than they are willing to actually see with their own eyes. Unless someone was entirely new to games in general, I can see KH2 being hard though. But even for casual gamers, I think KH2 should have been a cinch unless you're one of those like me who tried to do a handicap run during the middle of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back