• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's the real way one can obtain a Keyblade?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LowlyShadow

Greetings gang!

Like the title said: how does a person truly obtain a Keyblade? I'm a bit lost and hopefully I'll get a good discussion about this. I'll list out the different ways of obtaining the iconic weapon while I'm at it. Firstly, in Birth by Sleep, it's revealed that you need a Keyblade Master to perform the Keyblade Inheritance Ceremony at the very least in order to be qualified to wield one. Then, it's up to the Keyblade itself to find out if the successor is up to the task or not, as stated by Yuffie and shown in the case where Kingdom Key chose Sora over Riku in Kingdom Hearts 1.

As for the fact why Roxas and Xion have the ability to wield one, it's just simply that Roxas is Sora's Nobody for the former and Sora's Replica for the latter. However, in coded, Data Sora can wield a data Keyblade as it was programmed for him but then obtained a real one later due to the strength of his heart. This is the only case where a character doesn't need the Keyblade Inheritance Ceremony and is not entirely connected to a current wielder to genuinely use a Keyblade (since Data Sora is only a data version of the Real Sora, and not a Nobody or Replica of him).

What's puzzling me even more is the fact that Xemnas and Namine weren't shown to be able to use the weapon, even though they're Nobodies of Keyblade wielders (Terra?/Master Xehanort for Xemnas, Sora and/or Kairi for Namine).

So what do you guys think? I'm new to the forums so if there's anything I'm doing wrong, shout it out for me! And if there's anything wrong on what I listed out earlier, feel free to tell me which one's incorrect!

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Naminé technically should be able to wield but for whatever reason doesn't (possibly because Kairi hasn't been confirmed to be chosen by a Keyblade yet, just that she can wield one). Xemnas can't wield the Keyblade because his heart became (and stayed) a heartless, according to KH3D.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Hi and welcome to the forum! Well first there's no "real" way to get the Keyblade. You get chosen by Keyblade simple as that. Think of the Inheritance Ceremony as a recommendation letter, it won't 100% guarantee you a Keyblade but it boosts your chances of getting one, but you already knew this.

Its important to note that Xion's Keyblade is not a real one, its a copy. Sora and Roxas share the same Keyblade because of their connection. As for Xemnas, Nomura has not confirmed/nor denied that he can't wield one, hinting that he probably chose not to. Namine is a bizarre case, the epitome of a Nobody. Her existence is very unstable as seen in KH2, probably due to how she came to be.

Kairi gets the Keyblade when Namine no longer has a stable physical form so we can't say for a fact of what would happen but I would assume she would able to wield.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Hi and welcome to the forum! Well first there's no "real" way to get the Keyblade. You get chosen by Keyblade simple as that. Think of the Inheritance Ceremony as a recommendation letter, it won't 100% guarantee you a Keyblade but it boosts your chances of getting one, but you already knew this.
Pretty sure BBS made it so that you DID have to have undergone the ceremony as one of the official requirements, with the only exception being Sora.

As for Xemnas, Nomura has not confirmed/nor denied that he can't wield one, hinting that he probably chose not to.
A statement he made prior to KH3D, which gave the canon reason as to why he can't.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Sora being the exception proves that its possible for others, its just that the ceremony is the most common and easy way to get access to one. I don't recall anything in DDD specifically why he couldn't wield one, in fact Riku doesn't encounter Xemnas till the last world. Riku DOES say why Ansem(possibly referring to Apprentice Nort) lost it.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Sora being the exception proves that its possible for others
Eh. Technically. But that would just subtract from Sora's character which is why it wouldn't ever happen again?

Riku DOES say why Ansem lost it.
Yes, and given what we know about how Nobodies can wield the Keyblade (through their heart/original self) Ansem losing it would therefore make Xemnas lose it.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
And I agree but I don't trust Nomura so I want to give LowlyShadow all the possibilites/info.

LowlyShadow

Thanks for the replies guys! :D

About Sora's case, wasn't it because of Ventus inside of him which allows hime to use the Keyblade? At the destruction of Destiny Islands and Riku's acceptance of Darkness, maybe the Kingdom Key recognizes Sora's ability to wield one through Ventus?

And about Riku mentioning Ansem lost the use of the Keyblade, when does that happen? I can't seem to remember about that scene..

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

About Sora's case, wasn't it because of Ventus inside of him which allows hime to use the Keyblade? At the destruction of Destiny Islands and Riku's acceptance of Darkness, maybe the Kingdom Key recognizes Sora's ability to wield one through Ventus?

Aaargh, SE really needs to set the record straight on this...

No. Sora's ability to wield a Keyblade is his own. He initially got his hands on it by accident, but in Hollow Bastion, his own heart had grown strong enough to cause the Keyblade to choose him over Riku, the one that it was intended for.

He can wield the Keyblade, Ventus or no Ventus.

Oh, and Xehanort lost the Keyblade after he lost his heart and turned into a Heartless. True, this has never happened on-screen, but we all know it did happen at some ​point...

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
That's one interpretation. Officially Nomura has said that Sora hasn't gained anything from his connection to Ven, and that Sora is still an ordinary boy (and thus how he got the Keyblade has nothing to do with Ven). But, technically, focusing on just the games themselves, the Ven interpretation is a valid one, though it does kind of tarnish what makes Sora's character great (that he's just an ordinary boy who got the Keyblade by loving someone and reaching out to help them)

And about Riku mentioning Ansem lost the use of the Keyblade, when does that happen? I can't seem to remember about that scene..

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

That's the most common belief but its not because of that. You get one Keyblade per worthy heart so Ven can't have that much influence going by that logic. From what we've seen the Keyblade can sometime act like a sentient being so it must test a specific heart. Also Riku didn't lose it because he accepted the darkness, he lost it because he was vulnerable and weak.

The only thing Sora gets from Ven is dual wielding and even then Sora needs the Drive to tap into that ability.

Last edited:

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
You get one Keyblade per worthy heart
latest

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

Uh... are you referring to how Mickey has wielded both a Star Seeker and the Kingdom Key D? That could have something to do with the KKD being a Keyblade of darkness... or Mickey might've just switched out the keychains, like all players have done before. I've never seen him wielding both at the same time.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
That's a can of worms I don't want to open.
Character02%20-%20Aqua01.png

BlackOsprey said:
That could have something to do with the KKD being a Keyblade of darkness... or Mickey might've just switched out the keychains, like all players have done before.
nah, girl. Realm of Darkness and Realm of Light Keyblades are different. They're not just keychains lol.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Well Aqua can be easier to explain since we don't see her changing between Keyblades. The biggest inconsistency with her Keyblade is Rainfell turning into Stormfall in a later cutscene.

For all we know you can denounce your Keyblade or do some mumbo jumbo transfer/trade, I mean its KH/Nomura.

LowlyShadow

Wow, I'm learning a lot today!

So, to repeat back from what I learned so far, a person doesn't really need anything special to acquire the weapon, just the strength of their heart and their inner qualities. The Keyblade Inheritance Ceremony is just a process to make you a CANDIDATE, but NOT a worthy WIELDER. So someone as normal as Sora can get one, i.e. it's fair game for anyone and everyone.

And on Sora's case, I find it interesting to see a normal boy like him gets involved in a battle between Light and Darkness. He's special because he's not. He's just...Sora(?). What's really unique about him though is his ability to connect with others, and from there the story unfolds. Unlike the other wielders who are Successors and have participated the Ceremony (Terra, Ventus, Aqua, Riku, Kairi(?)), and is a Nobody of a wielder (Roxas), he has to prove his worth; the same as Data Sora.

So, did I get it right so far?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Spot on, LowlyShadow. Spot on.

I think it's kinda hard to make clear calls on cases like Aqua or Mickey. No one really has a full, official, and complete understanding on the nature of Keyblades. Until we do, I guess it'll all stay as theory and speculation fodder.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Well Aqua can be easier to explain since we don't see her changing between Keyblades. The biggest inconsistency with her Keyblade is Rainfell turning into Stormfall in a later cutscene.
I was more referring to the fact that both the Master Keeper and the Stormfall can be considered her Keyblades.

So, to repeat back from what I learned so far, a person doesn't really need anything special to acquire the weapon, just the strength of their heart and their inner qualities. The Keyblade Inheritance Ceremony is just a process to make you a CANDIDATE, but NOT a worthy WIELDER. So someone as normal as Sora can get one, i.e. it's fair game for anyone and everyone.
I would be reaaaally hesitant to say that conclusively tbh. Literally every single other character in the series got their Keyblade because of the Rite, and one of the reasons you could argue for the lack of Keybladers in present day was because there were no Masters to keep passing on the ability, which suggests it is crucial. Saying literally any one could get it is a little too... eh for me, even if the fact that Sora was able to get it without the Rite can technically make that possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back