• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Whats the most unnerving thing you are often reluctant to address about roleplaying?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
The most unnerving thing.

for me, you're going to laugh.

To be identified, to be recognized and isolated with no prior acknowledgement to another character. Having no reputation of which to give any pre-existing knowledge of, but to be identified as if said information exist either portrayed recklessly in a post made or as mentioned in a character's biography.

Everyone has a capacity to secrecy or a condition of either remaining anon for the integrity of a role, and when someone breaks the that integrity, you know you're on a completely different level of comprehension with them and I find it to be just a careless mistake.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
The most unnerving thing.

for me, you're going to laugh.

To be identified, to be recognized and isolated with no prior acknowledgement to another character. Having no reputation of which to give any pre-existing knowledge of, but to be identified as if said information exist either portrayed recklessly in a post made or as mentioned in a character's biography.

Everyone has a capacity to secrecy or a condition of either remaining anon for the integrity of a role, and when someone breaks the that integrity, you know you're on a completely different level of comprehension with them and I find it to be just a careless mistake.

Can you put this in simpler format because what I think I read may not be what you mean, and so on :x

For me it's the saddening lack of CotW submissions :c

And somewhat the general ebbing of this Section (though compared to like Creative Writing and Digital/Traditional Media we're loads better off), though, meh, we're getting up a bit in activity compared to the last couple of months.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Reading that again, I can see what you mean lol.

When another roleplayer can identify you in character on a whim, when you've never mingled with them during the course of the roleplay or they don't share a common history with you as represented through each other's biographies. I never really address it, because most times people can play it off and make it work, other times its just really inconvieniant and what your reading doesn't make sense.

Its like Christopher Robin meeting Pooh for the first time, and Pooh automatically knows who Robin is.
-RAGE-

Smoofy

Dogs Eating Dogs
Awards
The Roleplay Section. I seldom venture out.
I dislike it when people try to follow a specific, dictated path, and when an action performed by another character may divert the plot... They simply don't allow it.

I like the unpredictability of an RP, it's a collaborative effort from all authors. I find it rude when someone makes an RP and basically allows others to participate in their story. It's a group effort, and it should be treated as such.

Also, I don't like it when those of say, a higher literary ability don't allow themselves to accommodate for those unfamiliar with RPing or those with a lesser ability to write. That might also be a reason that it is difficult to pull in new RPers, due to maybe, some form of intimidation.

ThePromise

Tired
Awards
Grammar.

Capitalization is something you learn in elementary.

Oh and making IC disputes OOC when the character's nature justifies the emotions expressed. That's happened a few times. Or OOC being IC in return. Had a young teenage guy constantly insult everyone because he was meant to be a jerk, and someone got super pissed about it OOC. Awkward.

And, like you brought up, misrepresentation.

At least I THINK that's what you're trying to say.

Last edited:

Lumine

When your Mask falls, what will you see.
Awards
When another roleplayer can identify you in character on a whim, when you've never mingled with them during the course of the roleplay or they don't share a common history with you as represented through each other's biographies. I never really address it, because most times people can play it off and make it work, other times its just really inconvieniant and what your reading doesn't make sense.

That. Oh God that genuinely annoys me. But I'm going to expand on this more, it is when other RPers gain knowledge of an immediate situation happening somewhere else through 'Guts' alone, or do actions that counters yours without an understandable reason or logical drive behind it. This Reason defying actions are one of the things that annoy me when RPing. I don't mind the unpredictable actions characters might take, or injecting the unexpected variable in the plot, but do it at least within reason and logic.

I also dislike it when people take IC actions personally and take it out to the OoC. They miss the frame of which the characters act in that is called Personality. Even if the portrayal of the character within said personality doesn't fall to your liking, it is only rightful to the RPer who plays the character to portray it the way he/she wishes to. Complaining about it just isn't a mature way of dealing with it. Either discuss it rationally with the Rper, or minimize your character's interaction with them or deal with it. Making a problem out of it, doesn't solve anything.

There :3

Smoofy

Dogs Eating Dogs
Awards
The Roleplay Section. I seldom venture out.
Oh, I got another thing that makes me sad:

I remember when I first started RPing here, I was majorly confused. I hadn't really RPed before and the concept of Templates and Sign-Ups were lost to me to begin with. What made it easier was people's patience and willingness to guide me through the process. Just those acts of selflessness and understanding were really nice. I'd like to see more of that. I do still see it, but not on the scale I remember.

Speaking of patience, I don't enjoy when other members push others to make a post. Sure, after a certain time period if someone hasn't posted then it's ok to start fretting, but I think a day or so (or in slower RP's, maybe up to four) is acceptable, and pushing people to post sometimes more than one time during the day, especially when it isn't summer can either cause extra stress if forum time is taken up by school work or it'll lower post quality because that person is rushing to get a post out on time. Not everyone has the same amount of time to dedicate to RPing as others. I'd like to see Patience and Understanding in that accord and in all other accords when it comes to RPing.

I'd like Patience and Understanding, pl0x.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Battles have never made sense to me, as there is no viable numerical stat-based fact scoring poop that everyone can more or less agree on and with on hand I would be more accepting of Battle poop

Chromatic

Become
Awards
Battles have never made sense to me, as there is no viable numerical stat-based fact scoring poop that everyone can more or less agree on and with on hand I would be more accepting of Battle poop

The numerically-based battle systems would work if it weren't for the fact that RPing via text tends to escalate combat to a point at which there would be far too many numbers and calculations to run. And personally, I find that in the general RP setting, having to run numbers to determine whether Jimmy hit Billy just throws a wrench into the gears in terms of integrating the fighting into the story.

Personally, I'm annoys when people make things... Too easy for their characters. I've been in one too many RPs in which someone has their almighty power character demolish a world in a single post (to give an example). I find it to be very unadventerous and out of the RP spirit. And most times it happens in. Setting which destroying a world is something that takes a while, either by virtue of the world's cosmology, or the manner of destruction. Even when OmniChaos had his powerful Eclipse King waste Radiant Garden, it took a battle sequence to make it happen. People should take that processed approach to high powered/potent feats.

Vox

Omnipresent Power
Awards
One of the things that truly urks me is the intimidation factor of some character builds. What i mean by this is, when someone has a character so "godlike" and your's is meager in comparison you feel as if you have no business taking them on. Even if you have found a kink in there armor so to speak they act as if nothing you can do or say will change the outcome. As if its pre-determined.

Thats another thing i don't like when RP's follow a distinct flow or plot line. its idea is to be a collaborative effort to create a story. Or at least thats my POV on it. Not to take turns writing the same story to end up to the same outcome.

-End rant-

Endless Warrior Sora

Return of the Kid
Awards
I also hate how sometimes when I would RP back in the day, when my characters in battle would never be able to land a single hit in battles during an RP.Like they were always parried, or blocked ,especially when I would challenge important characters. I always felt like my characters had to "manage to survive" EVERY BATTLE.

Also,in IC threads, where sometimes the atmosphere wasn't completely the most pleasant. Like, I could catch little tints of attitudes...that would instantly not make me want to join an RP.

Also, is it a little wierd to anyone else that there seems to be a shortage of RPers/RPs lately? I've been lurking the forums for an RP to join BESIDES Traces of Chaos and even first page RPs' last posts were like...in OCTOBER.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
People who make powerful characters instead of good ones, or focus on age-old, done-to-death tropes and character types because they're convenient instead of compelling. I can't wholly slight them for it, though, especially as we all have to start somewhere, and for other reasons (time-management and the state of affairs with the section, currently).

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
When your partner in crime has to drop from a roleplay, and powerplaying them isn't the same as what you've been conditioned to ):

Endless Warrior Sora

Return of the Kid
Awards
People who don't read and do whatever they want in a roleplay without seeing if they are within their bounds to do so, thus throwing off the continuity of EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back