• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Whats the deal with BBS Volume 2?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
It was shelved but Nomura said that there's a story to be told. We might see it some day but it's assumed that it, or chunks of it, were integrated with 3D. There's an interview, post 3D I think, that explains it.

Wayward Wind

How could there be a Volume 2 though since Terra is possessed, Ven is asleep and Aqua is in the ROD? Or is it to do with Sora and co?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
How could there be a Volume 2 though since Terra is possessed, Ven is asleep and Aqua is in the ROD? Or is it to do with Sora and co?

The secret ending of Birth by Sleep Final Mix "A fragmentary passage" hints at developments which would take place between the end of BBS and the beginning of KH 1.

Many people theorized that the playable characters would be Aqua in the RoD and King Mickey for stuff outside it.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
But as previously said, it got shelved, and I assume that would be in the place of DDD which needed to be done, to push the story closer to the end. Though I would be happy if he would just get KH3 done and over with, so I CAN MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE. GAWD.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
The secret ending of Birth by Sleep Final Mix "A fragmentary passage" hints at developments which would take place between the end of BBS and the beginning of KH 1.

Many people theorized that the playable characters would be Aqua in the RoD and King Mickey for stuff outside it.

it also showed stuff that happened during the rest of the series, if I'm not mistaken.

Light

faster than
Awards
I feel that all the fans, including me, would love to have a game with King Mickey as a main playable character.

I thought this... until Days and KH2 (on the segments where he saves you) where you could play as him. To be honest, his style is just a bit too jumpy and flimsy for my liking. IF they tuned him so that he wasn't as bouncy then I'm sure I'd not mind the idea.

Sorakh212

Awards
Yeah unfortunately the idea never really saw the light of day and got scrapped I believe. I mean who knows it's always possible, but with the announcement of KH3 last week it's rather unlikely which is unfortunate because I've always wondered what the realm of darkness is like especially after seeing most of the cutscenes and little gameplay of BBSv2. That and I do wonder what happened to those that ended up there like Aqua, Mickey, Riku, or even Ansem the Wise. All kinds of unanswered questions and stories to be told.

Sora Vanitas

it is possible that BBS volume 2 would be released at least after the ending of kingdom hearts 3 or KH 3 Final mix, to answer some unknown question. Just like how BBS answer some questions on KH 2 and KH final mix,

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
For the record, and I've been screaming this since BBS FM came out, there was never any confirmation that BBS V.2 was a game, or indeed, anything other than text on a screen.

Sure, there's a story to be told and yes, we know that a game that was in development got shelved in favor of 3D but it was silly of everyone to get their hopes up before we even got that information.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
For the record, and I've been screaming this since BBS FM came out, there was never any confirmation that BBS V.2 was a game, or indeed, anything other than text on a screen.

Sure, there's a story to be told and yes, we know that a game that was in development got shelved in favor of 3D but it was silly of everyone to get their hopes up before we even got that information.
At the time BBSFM was released, Nomura was constantly talking about a "mystery title" and telling us to "look forward to the end of BBSFM" so it's easy to see why people thought we were actually getting that as a game. And we would have, but it was shelved due to the endless bitching for KH3 and the console spread.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
I kind of desperately wanted this story to actually be developed because the RoD intrigues me, Aqua is one of my favorite characters, and the stuff at the end of BBSFM looked pretty shway

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I kind of desperately wanted this story to actually be developed because the RoD intrigues me, Aqua is one of my favorite characters, and the stuff at the end of BBSFM looked pretty shway

Not to disrespect your opinion, as Aqua is definitely my favorite character, but I wasn't looking forward to it. I can't think of anything more dull than wandering the Realm of Darkness with no interaction and fighting wave after wave of Heartless and occasionally stumbling across the ruins of a fallen world. Nomura was like maybe she met Mickey! Which seems like total bullshit to me. Totally undermines the idea of her being trapped alone in this world until meeting Ansem.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

As Taochan said, Nomura constantly talked about a mysterious title before and after BBSFM was released. He also clarified it was not Re:coded or KH3D, and the only hint we had for a game was the secret ending in BBSFM. It even had "Birth By Sleep volume II" which sounds like a title.

You don't put "vol. II" at the end of something for no reason. It denotes a continuation, and the Secret Episode played more like a game demo than anything. It gives you unusable items, unnamed areas, Heartless that were only in this one part of the game, and a boss fight against that Heartless that again does not benefit you or the game.

If that wasn't some kind of hint of what they were planning to do in their mysterious title, I'll eat my foot but for now it remains to be all we have to draw any conclusions. With the facts known, though, I don't think people were off the mark at all.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
As Taochan said, Nomura constantly talked about a mysterious title before and after BBSFM was released. He also clarified it was not Re:coded or KH3D, and the only hint we had for a game was the secret ending in BBSFM. It even had "Birth By Sleep volume II" which sounds like a title.

You don't put "vol. II" at the end of something for no reason. It denotes a continuation, and the Secret Episode played more like a game demo than anything. It gives you unusable items, unnamed areas, Heartless that were only in this one part of the game, and a boss fight against that Heartless that again does not benefit you or the game.

If that wasn't some kind of hint of what they were planning to do in their mysterious title, I'll eat my foot but for now it remains to be all we have to draw any conclusions. With the facts known, though, I don't think people were off the mark at all.

Let me clarify what I meant: I am also of the opinion that Nomura wanted to develop Birth by Sleep Vol. II as the mystery title, and that it got shelved. All signs point to that, there's no real other reason why it would have been presented that way, etc.

All I was suggesting, at the time, was to air on the side of caution. The entire thing felt odd and unlike anything Nomura's done with the KH series thus far. Everyone was hailing it as the next game in the series, and they were right to get that impression. However, just as many people assumed that "Reconnect. Kingdom Hearts" was going to be the name of an upcoming game.

Zero Point, and the entire presentation was probably the oddest experience of the KH series. Because of that, my initial knee jerk reaction to that was: this is weird, let's wait to see what Nomura says and he never said anything about it after the game was released until some time later. So that just felt seven shades of odd.

BBS Vol. II would have been interesting if it indeed focused on Aqua, Kairi, Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Riku. And I will go so far as to say that kind focus should happen at some point, but I think it may have been for the best to go about approaching those viewpoints in a different way. As Nomura never came right out and explicitly stated that this was going to happen this way, I don't think it's fair to say with 100% confidence that it, whatever it was or however it was going to pan out, was shelved. We don't know how much of it became retooled and moved elsewhere. Whatever it was.

But to say it was shelved because of KH3, I don't think, is at all accurate.

Also, having said all of that, I didn't realize how old this thread was initially. Shouldn't have responded to an outdated and bumped thread.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
All I was suggesting, at the time, was to air on the side of caution. The entire thing felt odd and unlike anything Nomura's done with the KH series thus far. Everyone was hailing it as the next game in the series, and they were right to get that impression. However, just as many people assumed that "Reconnect. Kingdom Hearts" was going to be the name of an upcoming game.

Except Nomura had outright clarified that "Reconnect: Kingdom Hearts" wasn't a name for anything, which quashed that train of thought pretty fast. (Ironically, in coded storyboards, it says "Kingdom Hearts Reconnection" so fans weren't off base with that, either xD)

Zero Point, and the entire presentation was probably the oddest experience of the KH series. Because of that, my initial knee jerk reaction to that was: this is weird, let's wait to see what Nomura says and he never said anything about it after the game was released until some time later. So that just felt seven shades of odd.

I can understand that. For me, I always thought it was pretty telling because of the fact he never said anything to it. He's only ever that vague or hush-hush about a game when there are things going on behind the scenes he's not allowed to discuss.

But to say it was shelved because of KH3, I don't think, is at all accurate.

I wouldn't say it is the full reason, but I would bet it was a factor as to why. Outside of the possible internal pressures from shareholders, upper management, Disney Interactive, etc. there was also a fatigued audience who only wanted KH3. The core audience wouldn't have been able to keep up buying games for much longer (console spread, story convolution, and fatigue in general being the cause), and the casual audience already had glazed eyes and refused to touch any "non-numbered" title.

Also, having said all of that, I didn't realize how old this thread was initially. Shouldn't have responded to an outdated and bumped thread.

Lol the thread isn't that old. It's only been five months from its last post and we allow people to bump stuff as long as the last post isn't older than a year.

G-SANtos

Awards
Not to disrespect your opinion, as Aqua is definitely my favorite character, but I wasn't looking forward to it. I can't think of anything more dull than wandering the Realm of Darkness with no interaction and fighting wave after wave of Heartless and occasionally stumbling across the ruins of a fallen world.
Chain of Memories had minimal interaction. In Sora's story you literally have only Donald and Goofy to interact the entire game, with Naminé and Riku Replica being interactable in the final floor, and in Riku's story you have literally no interation.

And anyway, with BBSV2, you could have at least someone else there. Xehanort's Reports state that no one who has entered the Realm of Darkness has returned, meaning someone went there before, and since that place has a different timeflow, maybe some of those people are still alive... If they could somehow fight all those Heartless.

Also, since the King had to go there to get a Keyblade of the dark side, then we can infer that dark Keyblades can only be attained there. And if there are dark Keyblades... Then there must be someone to wield them.

Nomura was like maybe she met Mickey! Which seems like total bullshit to me. Totally undermines the idea of her being trapped alone in this world until meeting Ansem.
Then you should stone Re:coded. The secret ending has the King saying "I think I know where Ven's heart is" and Yen Sid says "that only leaves Terra". Think a bit: If Terra is the only one they couldn't locate, then logically they already found Aqua, and the only way for this to have happened, is for the King to have met Aqua there.

Nomura is not an idiot. Remember when he introduced a fourteenth Organization member? If the King met Aqua, then there must be a reason he couldn't save her.
The best I can think is that they met someone who got trapped even further in the Realm of Darkness and Aqua decided to not leave until rescuing that person, while insisting Mickey to follow the Twilight Town World Card to go where he is most needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back