• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's Canon in the Kingdom Hearts Series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
I am trying to write a fanfic that has as many canon concepts that are within the Kingdom Hearts series. The fanfic won't have Disey or Square Enix characters and/or worlds within it (save one or two), but it will have characters and worlds from other sources: books, plays, TV shows, movies, etc. There'll also be one or two things that are original to the Kingdom Hearts series within it.

As it will have many canon things within it (and I'm the only KH fan within my group of IRL friends), I wish to get aid in clarifying what is and is not canon for the series. I have plenty of questions and I'll also answer plenty of questions posed by members of KHInsider forums. If there's a thread that has an answer to one of the questiosn, please PM/VM me it or something and I'll add it to the OP, thanks.

First off, I might as well say a few things about my fanfic, since people are likely to have questions.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Now then, here are my questions along with any links that answer them!

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Thank you for the help! Once again, you can ask me anything about the fanfic, but I don't promise that I'll answer. Oh, and if you'd like anything to be in the KH series that wasn't actually in the KH series, please tell me about it! Um, thanks... again.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
The fanfic won't have Disey or Square Enix characters and/or worlds within it (save one or two), but it will have characters and worlds from other sources: books, plays, TV shows, movies, etc. There'll also be one or two things that are original to the Kingdom Hearts series within it.
Uh, well, first off, what's canon in KH is that all the worlds are Disney worlds....

-Are the Princesses of Heart born without Darkness in their hearts?
That is the implication, yes.

-Are the PoH's PoH's because they're pure/nice/kind or what?
They are PoHs because they were born without darkness in their hearts. Them being pure/nice/kind or what have you is at most a result of that, not a cause of it.

-What, specifically, makes the PoH's so special?
The fact that they have no darkness in their hearts...

-What happes if someone inherets a keyblade (do they get their own)?
Um, what exactly are you asking?

-Are keyblades sentient?
To an extent they seem to be. They choose their masters. It's similar to how the "wand chooses the wizard" in HP. Other than that, we haven't really seen them to do much beyond that. It's not like it's been confirmed that they can talk or anything.

-Do keyblades die?
I don't think you could put in the same realm as "death" but it seems that Keyblades can grow inactive based on the "lifeless" Keys of the Keyblade Graveyard

-People refer to the beginning of KH1 as "Awakening" and then in KH2 "The Station of Awakening," but what is it really called?
Station of Awakening.

-Is there any meaning behind the platforms' images? (Do they hint what the experiencer will face in the future?)
In the first game they were just images of Disney things, but since then, the stations seem to be more of a visual representation of someone's heart. this is why Roxas' had Sora in it, Ven's had himself and Vanitas, etc.

-What exactly are the Corridors of Darkness?
They are pathways that beings of darkness, and Nobodies can manipulate to travel through worlds.

-Were the CoD around before the Heartless (could they be used before the Heartless, I mean)?
Yes.

-Any thoughts on what the CoD look like?
Purple/Black gateways. We've seen them used every time the Organization disappears. (Though, in KH1, they had more of a greenish look to them, they are the same thing)

-What can keyblade masters do that's different than non-masters?
Change a world's appearance, perform the Rite of Succession, etc.

-How does one become a master?
They train under another master until they become powerful enough to take the Master Qualification Exam. If they pass, they are awarded the title of "Master".

-The Unversed were no more after Vanitas' demise, but how come they came into being in the first place?
They were negative emotions stemming from someone who was not well versed in life. Vanitas was an unnatural creation that upset the balance of the world. This is why his negative emotions gave birth to the Unversed's creation. When he was defeated, so did the unbalance he caused, leading the Unversed to die with him.

-What is the reasoning behind Vanitas' ability to control the Unversed?
See the above.

-How come the Unversed were sustained by Vanitas' existance?
Again, see the above.

-What does V.A.T.'s armor do exactly?
It protects them from armor while traveling through the Strange Dimension. It basically has the same function as the Organization Coat, but obviously more protective of the user in an actual battle.

-Did V.A.T. need their armor for something specific?
See above.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
Uh, well, first off, what's canon in KH is that all the worlds are Disney worlds....

Yeah, I know that, it's just that it wouldn't make any sense if I did that, at least, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make any sense ^-^;;.

They are PoHs because they were born without darkness in their hearts. Them being pure/nice/kind or what have you is at most a result of that, not a cause of it.

That's what I figured, but when I mentioned that in the Kairi HC, I was basically told that that wasn't so. It's a recent question that popped up :/.

Um, what exactly are you asking?

Um, do people get their own keyblade when they inherit one, like in BbS...

I don't think you could put in the same realm as "death" but it seems that Keyblades can grow inactive based on the "lifeless" Keys of the Keyblade Graveyard

That's what I meant ^-^, thanks!

In the first game they were just images of Disney things, but since then, the stations seem to be more of a visual representation of someone's heart. this is why Roxas' had Sora in it, Ven's had himself and Vanitas, etc.

I see. I would of not seen that.

They are pathways that beings of darkness, and Nobodies can manipulate to travel through worlds.

But DiZ went through them too, didn't he?

Where does it confirm, though?

Purple/Black gateways. We've seen them used every time the Organization disappears. (Though, in KH1, they had more of a greenish look to them, they are the same thing)

Well, I mean, that's the entrance and exit in a nutshell, but I meant more of the inside.

Change a world's appearance, perform the Rite of Succession, etc.

"etc."?

They were negative emotions stemming from someone who was not well versed in life. Vanitas was an unnatural creation that upset the balance of the world. This is why his negative emotions gave birth to the Unversed's creation. When he was defeated, so did the unbalance he caused, leading the Unversed to die with him.

So, if there's an unbalance such as that that Vanitas created, the Unversed can come back?

It protects them from armor while traveling through the Strange Dimension. It basically has the same function as the Organization Coat, but obviously more protective of the user in an actual battle.

The Strange Dimension being what is in between the worlds?

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
That's what I figured, but when I mentioned that in the Kairi HC, I was basically told that that wasn't so. It's a recent question that popped up :/.
I'm not sure why they would have said any differently... unless you read my answer wrong.

Um, do people get their own keyblade when they inherit one, like in BbS...
"Inheriting" implies that they would get the same Keyblade, but only one person in the entire series has really shown to inherit a Keyblade. Aqua, when she takes Eraqus' Keyblade. I think you mean when someone performs the Rite of Succession. That isn't letting someone inherit their Keyblade, it is giving them the ability to wield a Keyblade. The Keyblade still has to choose them to be a wielder after this. And in that case, it would be a new Keyblade.

But DiZ went through them too, didn't he?
DiZ has accepted the darkness and was using it for his own gain. He was, essentially, a being of darkness. Hence why he could use them.

Where does it confirm, though?
Vanitas uses them in BBS, I'm pretty sure. Plus, the corridors aren't directly related to the Heartless so it would make enough sense for them to exist separately from them. Though, if you want to be very technical, one could assume the Heartless didn't exist until the realms were divided, and since the Corridors of Darkness are more less a means of travel that abuse the state of the realms, it could mean they didn't exist before hand.

But again, the point is that they are separate from the Heartless.

Well, I mean, that's the entrance and exit in a nutshell, but I meant more of the inside.
We're shown it when Kairi escapes from Axel on DI, more or less.
Some people think there isn't an inside though, just that it is an instant portal to wherever.

Yes... as in, other abilities.

So, if there's an unbalance such as that that Vanitas created, the Unversed can come back?
They were tied explicitly to Vanitas, so, who knows.

The Strange Dimension being what is in between the worlds?
More or less, yes.

destinykh

The Troll
Awards
Sinking into the light with a heart of pure darkne

I'm not sure why they would have said any differently... unless you read my answer wrong.

Because we are given very little information about the PoHs to make such a conclusion. Kindness/pure/nice is very subjective. For example, we never see Alice being kind, all she is thus far is a innocent girl driven by curiosity. Jasmine is kind to the poor, but then she runs away from home without telling her father just to achieve her freedom, thereby causing the Sultan worry. So deeming the PoHs nice, pure girls is very problematic, especially since Riku has shown us that positive/negative personality traits causes the light/darkness in our heart to grow, not the other way around. If the PoHs think negative thoughts, it's more their own character flaws than the light/darkness in their hearts, except that the darkness can't latch onto them to make it worse.

Of course, there is another aspect to consider.

Cinderella became a PoH because she believed in dreams. It seems that kindness does not play a part at all, but possibly an innocent but lasting faith in something you believe in. Which makes sense. All the PoHs have this as their main trait.

Last edited:

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
I never said that being a PoH meant that they were nice/pure/kind individuals. So yeah, you must have read my answer wrong.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
"Inheriting" implies that they would get the same Keyblade, but only one person in the entire series has really shown to inherit a Keyblade. Aqua, when she takes Eraqus' Keyblade. I think you mean when someone performs the Rite of Succession. That isn't letting someone inherit their Keyblade, it is giving them the ability to wield a Keyblade. The Keyblade still has to choose them to be a wielder after this. And in that case, it would be a new Keyblade.

"Rite of Succession" could imply the "transmission of something," as Dictionary.Com says for the words "succession." I mean, "transmission" would mean giveing something to the one having the Rite performed on, so I was wondering if it were the keyblade or something else that was being "transmitted." The kyeblade lights up when the Rite is being performing, but I doubt that Light is being transmitted into the one having the Rite performed on.

DiZ has accepted the darkness and was using it for his own gain. He was, essentially, a being of darkness. Hence why he could use them.

So what you're saying is: "Anyone with enough Darkness in their heart can use the Corridors of Darkness"?

Yes... as in, other abilities.

"You must have read my reply wrong." Y'know, since it's more likely that I wanted to know more of what you were listing, as opposed to what et cetera meant. Oh, and to get back to what keyblade masters can do differently than non-masters, if only masters could perform the Rite of Succession, then why could Terra perform it on Riku?

Oh, and thank you destinykh for the "innocent but lasting faith in something you believe in" theory. I think it makes sense and is found in different ways in most of the PoH's.

Last edited:

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
"Rite of Succession" could imply the "transmission of something," as Dictionary.Com says for the words "succession." I mean, "transmission" would mean giveing something to the one having the Rite performed on, so I was wondering if it were the keyblade or something else that was being "transmitted."
All that's being given is the ability to wield the Keyblade. The "Succession" part comes from the fact that the person who gets an RoS performed on them would normally become that person's apprentice. And they could then succeed them as Master (What Aqua is to Eraqus, as an example). The actual Keyblade isn't passed down or anything like that.

The kyeblade lights up when the Rite is being performing
Uh, no it doesn't.

So what you're saying is: "Anyone with enough Darkness in their heart can use the Corridors of Darkness"?
It's more then that. Riku still has darkness in his heart at the end of KH2, but it can't be said that he belongs to the realm of darkness/is a being of darkness. DiZ accepted and controlled an immense amount of darkness, and became, essentially, a being of darkness which is why he could use corridors.

Oh, and to get back to what keyblade masters can do differently than non-masters, if only masters could perform the Rite of Succession, then why could Terra perform it on Riku?
He could still perform it because he was clearly at the level of being a Master, he just hadn't been awarded the official title yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back