• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's a Good Number?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards
I.e. The amount of Roleplayers in a Role Play. Three? Twelve? Seventy Two? Of course this shouldn't include people who RP multiple characters.

Lord of Chaos

Once more 'round the room we waltz.
Well, initially I would say it depends on the Role-Play.

However, as a general rule of thumb, in IRL games (D&D, Call of Cthulhu, etc.) you don't want more than 8 players at a time, not including the Dungeon Master. So I'd say that translates pretty decently to the role-play: no more than 9 people. It's diverse enough that you don't have to necessarily interact with someone, but you can also keep track.

Other things factor into this though, like:

-Number of Posts
-Quality of Posts (estimated) from a given Person
-What the RP is about
-If larger (or smaller) numbers make sense
-Attention Span of given RPers
-Etc.

Still, this is an interesting question to discuss.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Most of the time, I prefer a small number of people in a roleplay, since it seems (to me, at least) that the story can get confusing with a larger group. However, active and longer lasting roleplays seem like they have a large number of people in them, though I've been in a roleplay for years and it's seriously only been two people roleplaying in it. Guess it depends on a lot of other stuff, too? Blargh, yeah.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
No more than 12 in my opinion. Sure it's great to get a mass amount of people to join the rp, but if all of them can't provide anything grand to the roleplay and just leave in the shits. Well then, I think that's self-explanatory. I prefer to have 10 dedicated people, than 20 half-dedicated, half-asstwats people. Really, it just comes down to what kind of role play it is. And that's all there is to it. :)

Chromatic

Become
Awards
I'd say between 8 & 12 is the magic number, provided that most of them at the least are dedicated to the RP, and willing to remain at least semi-active in the IC. I find it best to provide space for a larger number, since odds are that there are going to be dropouts and people that just sign up and never post. If you start with twelve and end up with 8 or 7 then it's fine. Personally, I've never seen too many publicly open RPs that allowed for less than 7 or 8 people. And personally, I feel that if you're only open for four people total and/or the RP already has its roster and plot filled by invite, then there's almost no point in even playing that RP on a public forum anyways.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
It's not strange that everyone holds a similar standard to one another. It's what happens when a community is established; norms are set. Personally, it would be unproductive to have a bunch of RPers around to fill slots in a war-type RP. People can play two characters, and use NPCs. The only way larger numbers becomes truly functional is if there's more than one manager around to hold the ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back