• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Would Make You Give Up On Kingdom Hearts?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

TrueTroper

Awards
So fans of the KH series have put up with a lot since KH3--particularly UX's horrendous treatment of its Global fanbase and KH3's botching of the DSS. But, despite all these disappointments and setbacks, KH is still a series that you consider worth playing. My question is, after putting up with everything these past few years since KH3, is there a line that, if crossed, would effectively end your interest for the series? What would be your final straw?

For me, I think it would be if the series continues to treat anyone other than a male character like they're worthless and incompetent. TBH, already I can feel my interest in the series waning because of its lack of inclusiveness and its treatment of non-male characters, something that's becoming steadily worse since KH3. UX barely manages to hold my attention although allowing me to customize my character helps hold some interest, and MoM absolutely failed at making Kairi the protagonist of her own game while KH3 knocked Aqua so hard she's still recovering. Right now the series is still fun and worth playing, but it's not high on my priority list when a new entry comes out. I've only just purchased R:M and haven't even bought MoM.

Edit: This posted to the wrong thread! Help! How do I fix this?

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
^ You can contact a mod to move the topic. For me, I can only think of two scenarios that would make me quit:

1. All the Disney was removed. By that, I mean for more than a one-time installment. I would be fine if there was one game with no Disney (if Quadratum ends up being that) or if they were replaced with FF (never gonna happen). I suppose I should add a caveat to the Disney-being-removed thing: I'd also drop if Star Wars / Marvel / PIXAR ate up 80% of the content. Because those things are not “Disney” to me.

2. If Sora was no longer the main character. I might try to continue if the main character that replaced him (hypothetically) was Riku, Roxas, or Aqua, but otherwise I’d be out. I think voice actor changes might kill my interest, too, if the new voices really really sucked as they often do. As I'm sitting here, I'm thinking that if Sora did continue as protagonist with D&G as party member, but Riku was no longer in the series, I'd probably lose interest, too, just more slowly.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
One thing that would definitely make me give up on Phase 2 entirely would be if they brought back Xehanort. I firmly believe it's the worst mistake that Nomura can make in the next saga. Outside of flashbacks he needs to stay dead.

Aside from that there is the total removal of the Disney content as Elysium mentioned. But I'm not as concerned for Disney being removed as I am for the above concern

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Removal of Disney is the closest I can think of. TBH, it takes a lot to completely kill my interest in a game series. It still hasn't fully happened yet with Sonic despite Sega doing everything in their power to piss me off year after year (they seriously don't want a Mania 2?) so I can't even fathom how low KH would need to sink at this point.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Boring games. I don't really count Re: Coded just because it was a DS remake of Coded which itself was a mobile version of Kingdom Hearts.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Would be a monumental task to throw me off the series, really. I have plenty of criticisms but none of them come close to muting my excitement and investment. Probably something major or improbable would have to happen, like Nomura stepping down, Disney completely taking over the creative side, etc

If they pull another Unchained/Ux/DR though, it’ll be a serious drag.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Idk...nothing? Short of Nomura stepping down, Nomura dying, or Disney screwing the franchise over, I guess.

There will always be highs and lows for me with this series. I don’t think I could actively dislike anything they’ve put out, though. Criticize it to hell, sure, but never hate.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
If Square dropped the deal with Disney and signed a new deal with Paramount.

Sorarocks93

Awards
Pretty much nothing at this point.

I love the series to death, and even though I really disliked the fact that they put important lore into a mobile game, with how well the ending of KHUX was written and including the fact you can play those games on PC (which is perfectly legal mind you) I'll probably even play the next mobile game if they ever make one.

I think the only thing that might make my interest start dropping is whenever the "main" story ends, this saga or whatever, and they start making KH games that have nothing to do with each other storywise. I don't know, especially if they start making tons of them at the same time I might not be able to keep up.

But that's a long way from now, if ever.

Awards
Echoing back those that already been stated because I feel the same way.

In game reasons:
- Sora is no longer the protag of the series
- No Disney worlds
- Marvel and Star Wars (would feel extremely odd and out of place since they're not "Disney" worlds and they feel more like universes rather than just individual worlds)
- Bringing back Xehanort as the main villain again (Keep him dead please! His run was over!)

Out of game reasons:
- Nomura stepping down or passes away
- Disney taking full control of the series (Look what happened with KH3 when they were overlooking it)

A couple of these reasons probably won't make me quit KH right away, but it would definitely kill my love for the series. The rest are like they better be extremely good and I don't trust Disney with any IP right now.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Hm hard to say. I feel unless something extremely drastic happened like Disney was removed, the games no longer were fun or Nomura was dropped and they'd make it a generic what's popular with the kids now game series. But even with some of these there's a chance I'd stick with it longer than I should.

The series has a lot of faults, but I always find something to enjoy. Even if there's been a lot of developments I haven't been trilled about, like them dragging stuff out for ever or constantly trying to be mysterious, in the end I enjoy the ideas they're playing with.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Honestly I can’t imagine myself giving up on this series, even though the plot is one big and convoluted mess and some of the cutscences and dialogue can be very cheesy at times, but even then I do love this series despite it’s many flaws so unless they find a way to do something that makes me hate everything about the series I can still see myself being a fan of it for a long time

okhi12

Awards
Though I love Disney I don't think removing Disney would make me quit the series -not immediately- as long as the main plot is still interesting but as others said, if for some reason Nomura stepped away or something happened to him and someome else had to take his place I would lose interest (specially if that person is Kazushige Nojima, aka the man who ruined FFX) but I'd still give it a chance before quitting for good.

The only thing I can think of wich would make me actually despise the series would be if it depicted racism, mysoginy, LGTBphobia or similar ideologies, which would be incredibly stupid and will never happen.

Cumguardian69

Awards
I've already given up on KH because of the sequelbaiting and 3's letdown. That being said, if phase 2 doesn't get its act together tben I'll never read KH news again...2022 better surprise me but I'm not holding my breath.

horto12485

Awards
I don't see Disney leaving the Series anytime in Phase 2 i can easily see a Mix of Disney + Final Fantasy in Phase 2 and besides we haven't even founded out the rest of the New Seven Lights

Back