• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Would Have Happened if KH2 Had Been Subtitled Instead

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
This is something I've been thinking of for a minute now, and I've posted it a few times now. But I figured, I'd just discuss it in it's own thread.

What if Kingdom Hearts II had a different title way back when? Like, a subtitle instead of a big number 2.

The way I see it is, people would've perhaps been a bit more open to the other so-called "side games" all along. Without the whole numbered title system competing with a subtitled set of games, there would've just been more of a sentiment towards "the next game" rather than "a trilogy with a bunch of side games".

Along with that, "KH3" would also have had less hype in the long run. Yeah, it'd still be hyped if it had still been advertised as the end of the Xehanort Saga, but probably not for 10+ years like KH3 has.

Would this have been better for the series? I don't know. It would've quelled a lot of the insane expectations for KH3 we're going through now, what with the leakers stuff. At the same time, the series probably would've been a lot more niche a while ago. KH3 wouldn't be anywhere near as hype for newcomers if it was just called "The Keyblade War" or something.

Just food for thought I guess...

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
It's not the number. The numbered title is just a moniker which reflects the anticipated substance of the game. People would have felt the same way about Kingdom Hearts: Endgame as they do about KH3.

This is about completing the circle. The stated theme (or one of them) is resolution.

The way you prevent the kind of cultural momentum this game has built up around it is by making every installment a standalone. If each game is at least mostly self-contained in its drama and characters then there's only one entry to worry about: the one that's currently releasing. KH3 has promises to keep which are rooted in the other seven games that came before it-- it's a burden the narrative has to bear, and the audience isn't wrong to have an expectation it should do so, not only passably, but with real aplomb.

Fatal Mode

It's not the number. The numbered title is just a moniker which reflects the anticipated substance of the game. People would have felt the same way about Kingdom Hearts: Endgame as they do about KH3.

This is about completing the circle. The stated theme (or one of them) is resolution.

The way you prevent the kind of cultural momentum this game has built up around it is by making every installment a standalone. If each game is at least mostly self-contained in its drama and characters then there's only one entry to worry about: the one that's currently releasing. KH3 has promises to keep which are rooted in the other seven games that came before it-- it's a burden the narrative has to bear, and the audience isn't wrong to have an expectation it should do so, not only passably, but with real aplomb.

I love this series, but I've always doubted they have the writing chops to do this. Would love to be wrong though.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I love this series, but I've always doubted they have the writing chops to do this. Would love to be wrong though.

They have to, it's just that Nomura prefers to write it as he goes along, and likes making twists for the sake of making them.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
I think you're right, but at the same time Chain of Memories I feel turned a lot of people off to the "side games". Since it was a card based battle system, I've heard a few others say things similar to "does it have cards too?" so I feel like it was a contributing factor. However, the fact that those titles were also very experimental when it came to the systems, one way or another I feel like they would have fallen off one way or another. Cards, the weird board in 358/2 Days, Command styles in BBS, Dream Eaters in 3D...If they all had the KH1/KH2 battle system without a gimmick maybe they all would have been much more successful.

On another note, KH2 could have been Kingdom Hearts: Organization XIII Rises or Battle of the Nobodies and KH3 could be Kingdom Hearts: Xehanort's End or Xehanort's Demise or even End of an Era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back