• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What will Kairi's role and character in KH3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guernsey

Awards
I know the writers had trouble with Kairi especially when you consider that she is more or less apart of the main trio but it seems after KH1, Kairi's role in the series had ended and she had drifted into "obscurity" as the story progressed. Taking ending of DDD as well as the newer games, what will Kairi's role in KH3?

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
I know the writers had trouble with Kairi especially when you consider that she is more or less apart of the main trio but it seems after KH1, Kairi's role in the series had ended and she had drifted into "obscurity" as the story progressed. Taking ending of DDD as well as the newer games, what will Kairi's role in KH3?
that a good question my guess is prepare for the clash or battle in kh3 but i think she will part of key to return hearts that sora will be looking for

Muke

whatever
Awards
I don't consider SRK the main trio tbh, I know they're supposed to, but for me SDG will ALWAYS stay the best developed trio with the best dynamic.

As for Kairi... somehow I'm starting to care less about her. At this point, either they do give her a more prominent role, or they don't. I couldn't care less somehow (unfortunately!!! this shouldn't be a thing, SE should've given her a role to begin with.)....

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I'm pretty sure that both Kairi and Riku are simply there to listen to Mickey's story about Aqua in the Realm of Darkness.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
I'm really hoping that we get to see Kairi return to Radiant Garden in better conditions (maybe finding her grandmother), and sort of dealing with the fact that she was given a life she was never supposed to live.

I mean, she's happy being a part of the Destiny Islands and doesn't regret that, but I think there comes a time when she's going to have to realize that if Xehanort hadn't interfered, she would have had an entirely different destiny. And I could see her being interested in that.

KH1 also hinted that she knew Merlin as a child, so if she goes to Radiant Garden they can work with that, too (if they even remember it).

I want Kairi to want to try desperately to prove herself (in KHII she was always done with being left behind, so this is her time to shine), and perhaps even recklessly putting herself in danger this way (it's in her character).

I want her to worry that she's never going to measure up to Sora and Riku; and I want her to have abandonment issues--the idea that Sora and Riku will leave her again at the drop of the hat, and her trying to deal with that.

And going along with that, maybe she feels inadequate and sheltered, and that she can't empathize with those who have been so effected by the war, since she's been so little a part of it.

Her realizing her important destiny as both a Keyblade wielder and a Princess of Heart (who partly makes up all the light in the world, and if she--and the other princesses--falls, the light will expire) would be great; perhaps her even being protective of her fellow Princesses of Heart who can't protect themselves like she can.

Riku and Kairi interaction up the wazoo is something we need...

Perhaps Kairi having issues with fighting at first, because her passive PoH attitude won't allow it. But eventually she becomes okay with fighting against truly evil people who attack her first?

I want her to interact with Naminé, Xion, Aqua, and so many others. Roxas would also be a good idea, since they briefly met in KHII.

Seeing her interact with the Disney characters more would help a lot; she met Mickey as a child, after all (as well as Leon and them, who she actually knows from KH1).

Some stuff with her and Lea could be interesting. Though I, personally, don't want her to forgive him.

And more than anything, I want her to be involved and informed about things for once that concern her, and allowed to have agency and make her own decisions about her own life. So far everyone's been making her decisions for her, and know more about her than she does.

I also theorize that maybe if Kairi dies, or something, they won't be able to create the X-Blade (because Xehanort either needs her as a Princess of Heart or a Light for that to happen), so maybe Kairi could even think about sacrificing herself for the greater good. Maybe.

Honestly, there is SO much they could do with Kairi. And I really hope they go all out with it, now that we have the new technology that can help to develop her better than ever before (with her being able to say things on the field, if she's in your party and all that).

If they explained some of the psychic ability she's somewhat seemed to have before (sensing that there was something wrong with Riku, and that that once place in TWTNW was a graveyard, etc.), I also wouldn't complain.

And maybe even learning why she means so much to Sora? I don't really mean this in a romantic way, guys (and not even necessarily in a friendship one), but why is Kairi SO important to Sora, that he literally couldn't wake up without having every single memory of her restored to him? Why couldn't he have done without a memory or two, as DiZ said? And why is she his light, besides obvious ideas about that?

Edit 1: Oh, and her not wanting to Sora and Riku to be the only ones getting hurt, as she said in KHII.

Edit 2: Her facing Xehanort down for everything he did to her. And us learning if he, perhaps, sees her as an abomination, as she's an example of the "tyranny of light".

Edit 3: Kairi learning that Xehanort apparently used her to get Sora to the Islands the night it fell--and her feeling guilty about that, and being sick of being used as bait to get her friends into danger and for all they've had to sacrifice for her (like Sora stabbing himself and turning himself into a Heartless for her and stuff).

Edit 4: Her finally getting to see the worlds (like she also wanted) is for sure something we need to see, and it would be great if SRK could do this together--if at least for one world.

Edit 5: It would even be wonderful to learn what it was like for her to be like in Sora's heart, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that one, honestly.

Edit 6: Kairi dealing with her kidnapper, Saïx.

Last edited:

G-SANtos

Awards
She'll fight someone in Xehanort's group, she might be one of the seven guardians of light, and she's probably one of the 20 keys who will open the box. (I'll make a proper theory thread about it when I have time, but I believe the box needs 20 wielders to be opened.).

I'm pretty sure that both Kairi and Riku are simply there to listen to Mickey's story about Aqua in the Realm of Darkness.
You're mistaking for KH0.2. We're talking about KH3.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
And can this game FINALLY explore her Princess of Heart powers, please?

...I know this will never happen. But because of Tumblr, I'm now team "Let her be the tank of the Destiny Trio".

I mean, c'mon! Even though I know they're going to make her a combination of Ven and Aqua (since Riku's a combination of Terra and Aqua and Sora's a combination of Terra and Ven), that doesn't make sense: she's never been a fast runner.

Her being the heavy-hitter would actually make more sense, because she always seems to rush into things without thinking--like when she fought Heartless for the first time, and gave them all a good wack in treating her Keyblade like a club.

Destiny's Embrace is also said to land critical hits... And she's a few strong power medals in Unchained Key!

And it would go along with how in KH1 everyone had roles they weren't supposed to:

Donald was a mage, even though he wouldn't have the patience to learn spells, Goofy was the captain of the royal knights... even though he hated violence and used a shield (and honestly, it probably would have mad more sense if HE was the mage and Donald was the knight), and Sora was the Keyblade wielder... even though he wasn't chosen, carried the thing like it weighed a ton, and swung it like a baseball bat. LOL.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
You're mistaking for KH0.2. We're talking about KH3.

My bad, this isn't the first time I've been awful with skim-reading. Well, I believe that Kairi can be well developed if Square Enix are willing to give her as much screen time as Namine had in Chain of Memories or Roxas had in Kingdom Hearts II.

Kairi has a lot of potential for her character, it's just that Square Enix are squandering it in favour of the playable characters (which makes sense considering that we're playing as said characters).

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
And can this game FINALLY explore her Princess of Heart powers, please?

...I know this will never happen. But because of Tumblr, I'm now team "Let her be the tank of the Destiny Trio".

I mean, c'mon! Even though I know they're going to make her a combination of Ven and Aqua (since Riku's a combination of Terra and Aqua and Sora's a combination of Terra and Ven), that doesn't make sense: she's never been a fast runner.

Her being the heavy-hitter would actually make more sense, because she always seems to rush into things without thinking--like when she fought Heartless for the first time, and gave them all a good wack in treating her Keyblade like a club.

Destiny's Embrace is also said to land critical hits... And she's a few strong power medals in Unchained Key!

And it would go along with how in KH1, everyone had roles they weren't supposed to:

Donald was a mage, even though he wouldn't have the patience to learn spells, Goofy was the captain of the royal knights... even though he hated violence and used a shield (and honestly, it probably would have mad more sense if HE was the mage and Donald was the knight), and Sora was the Keyblade wielder... even though he wasn't chosen, carried the thing like it weighed a ton, and swung it like a baseball bat. LOL.
i hear light i just nomura to give kairi more development in kh3 and just seeing kairi talk in 0.2 is a good start that hopefully caries into kh3

Muke

whatever
Awards
i hear light i just nomura to give kairi more development in kh3 and just seeing kairi talk in 0.2 is a good start that hopefully caries into kh3
But just talking isn't enough to even call it development. In fact, it's self-explanatory that a character should TALK and it's sad we're happy about a character talking. It just proves how underdeveloped they are and how little screentime they get.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
But just talking isn't enough to even call it development. In fact, it's self-explanatory that a character should TALK and it's sad we're happy about a character talking. It just proves how underdeveloped they are and how little screentime they get.
yeah i know that that i hoping she get the development that she needs in kh3 but let wait and see what happens in kh3

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
@Alpha Baymax

It's just weird that they've never thought about making her a playable character, though--because that would fix all of her problems right there (as we went from feeling nothing for most of these characters to loving them, by just playing one single game as them).

I really feel like it's because of all the hate for her that Square Enix don't want to risk it, sadly (especially since there's a chance they could even turn all of that around with a good Kairi campaign).

But KHII set up Kairi being an action girl perfectly, with her being sick of waiting and not wanting her friends to be the only ones to suffer anymore.

And at that point, Xion hadn't been thought up yet, and Aqua was just a tiny speck in Nomura's mind.

So Kairi, then, had much more development than they did, and they could have pushed forward with that in making her our first playable girl character (as she was the first girl character we ever saw with a Keyblade in this series), but they didn't do that.

Instead, they chose to start from scratch and create/develop new characters and completely leave Kairi behind, and we'll never know why (though once again, I feel like it's because of all the hate she got after KHII).

Because honestly... She could've been a better character than even Aqua, because a lot of the things that make Aqua up exist in Kairi.

And it's weird to think about... But in a few ways, Kairi IS a more developed character than Aqua (in that we actually know stuff about her past and where she came from, unlike Aqua, and they could have ran with that), so just imagine what it would've been like to combine that with something akin to Aqua's character arc, and what a full character Kairi could've felt like then.

But it didn't happen, and now Kairi's the most nothing character in this series.

I am hoping that one day we'll get that Kairi campaign, though (even if some of the limelight Kairi would have had if they'd followed up the stuff from II right away is now gone), and I'm hoping that it's either III, in some ways, that does that, or that III's the start of better treatment for Kairi all around.

Edit: Tbh, I'm always going to be bitter about Kairi getting the short end of the stick. Not to turn this into an Aqua vs. Kairi thing (because I LOVE Aqua, and I want all of the girls in this series to get the screentime and attention they deserve), but another cool thing she could've given us over Aqua is the knowledge that you can like pink and be girly and still kick ass.

I know a lot of people hated Kairi for that (and even sort of demeaned her and her Keyblade for that very reason), but now I feel like people are turning around on that and being like, "Yes, honey. You take your love for pink, and your Keyblade with its flowers, and go wreck shit."

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
My bad, this isn't the first time I've been awful with skim-reading. Well, I believe that Kairi can be well developed if Square Enix are willing to give her as much screen time as Namine had in Chain of Memories or Roxas had in Kingdom Hearts II.

Kairi has a lot of potential for her character, it's just that Square Enix are squandering it in favour of the playable characters (which makes sense considering that we're playing as said characters).

Well that's what happened when it became about Sora's tale and Riku 's development from the rival to redemption to Keyblade Master. Would anyone like if Kairi was forced in KH2 traveling with Sora without written well enough, or in Days or ReCoded or trying to force her into DDD that would seem badly written?

Kairi only fell through the cracks because the Main series (KH1, COM, KH2, DDD) focused heavily on Sora's tale while BBS, ReCoded, Days, and Chi focused on characters related to the lore of the series and to Sora and company.

It's been the Sora and Riku show for the longest time, and not just Kairi falls from the cracks, but Terra, Ventus, and Xion don't have much development over Roxas, Lea, and Aqua.

I know people about Kairi's character every day, but what was the last time we talked about Lea's role, how will Roxas be if he is to become his own person, and Aqua who has to redeem a lot of things, not being there for Ven and saving Terra.

Kairi doesn't come first despite the slipping, others matter plus we don't know anything new of KH3 outside a few summaries And pictures.

If XV can possibly be big, this should be big as well, but we can't keep making Kairi threads all the time.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Kairi only fell through the cracks because the Main series (KH1, COM, KH2, DDD) focused heavily on Sora's tale while BBS, ReCoded, Days, and Chi focused on characters related to the lore of the series and to Sora and company.
Kairi was just as central to the main series as Riku, particularly in kh1 and yet Riku still managed to have two playable campaigns, a clear and well-meaning arc and excellent characterization.

It's been the Sora and Riku show for the longest time, and not just Kairi falls from the cracks, but Terra,
Unlike Kairi, Terra is a playable character with a clear story arc and clear motivations.
a playable character with a clear story arc and clear motivations.
and Xion don't have much development over Roxas, Lea, and Aqua.
a playable character with a clear story arc and clear motivations.

I know people about Kairi's character every day, but what was the last time we talked about Lea's role, how will Roxas be if he is to become his own person, and Aqua who has to redeem a lot of things, not being there for Ven and saving Terra.
Because Kairi, unlike the other central characters to the games, has been around since the very, very beginning and still hasn't been playable and at the moment has no clear role stepping forward, unlike the others you've mentioned.

Kairi doesn't come first despite the slipping, others matter plus we don't know anything new of KH3 outside a few summaries And pictures.

If XV can possibly be big, this should be big as well, but we can't keep making Kairi threads all the time.
Why not? Her canvas is the blankest, and with her the possibilities are certainly more interesting.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Why not? Her canvas is the blankest, and with her the possibilities are certainly more interesting.
in kingdom 3 if it happens i would like her question herself why she princess of heart or even doubt herself about using her a keyblade since we know it was accident when she touches aqua keyblade

Muke

whatever
Awards
in kingdom 3 if it happens i would like her question herself why she princess of heart or even doubt herself about using her a keyblade since we know it was accident when she touches aqua keyblade
Without any context? I wouldn't accept such a character arc, sorry

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
if you want people to discuss the other characters you can always make a thread about those characters.

personally, i'm not really interested in story about the characters questioning and doubting why they have the keyblade. we just did that with roxas and riku (and sora to a lesser extent). it's been done. i'd like it more if kairi's story was more about her realizing the unique position she is in, and choosing to do what she can with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back