• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► What smartphone did you sell your soul to

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

redcrown

Awards
Felt like making this thread since the chi game is coming out in a few days. I'd like to know what brand/generation of phone you guys have, which you think is best, and what you would personally recommend. Also curious if you are happy with the one you have and what you'd switch it for if you could/wanted to.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Manufacturer: Apple
Type: iPhone 5
iOS: 9.3.1
Memory: 16gb

I am honestly not an Apple geek or super fan, but I like my phone enough to stick with the same brand. The phone suits me best because it strives to be simple. One home button, volume buttons, hold button, power button, and screen.

The phone's design works because it's slim and easily fits into a pocket. The phone has decent durability. I've dropped mine quite a few times only to have minor blemishes. My screen is cracked, so maybe not the best durability, and it should be noted for improvement.

I've experienced software slow downs from early beta apps, but they are usually fixed with updates through the App Store. The iOS is generally stable (unless a "credible" news source claims otherwise), and load times are hardly a issue.

Battery life has been consistent since I've owned it. Almost at 3 years.

The camera quality is average. The phones in today's market have better quality cameras. My phone still has a hard time capturing images my eyes do (giant detailed views, sun/moon pictures etc)

16gb is shit compared to today's storage standards. Even the latest phones can have 16gb of internal memory. This is a pain for anyone with lots of apps, takes lots of pictures/videos or anyone who has a huge music library and wants to put it on their iPhone.

IF I thought about switching, then I would check out Samsung phones and devices.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I did not do it yet, but I fear I am going to sell my soul for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I fucking looooooooooooove that. D: It looks so nice. Right now, I have an iPhone 5 and meh. I'm just not the iPhone type of person, but it was a gift, so... xD

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I did not do it yet, but I fear I am going to sell my soul for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I diddlying looooooooooooove that. D: It looks so nice. Right now, I have an iPhone 5 and meh. I'm just not the iPhone type of person, but it was a gift, so... xD

You should get the Note 5 or 6 if anything.

I have the Note 4 and it has an incredible amount of stability. The only problem with the new phones releasing afterwards you're not allowed anymore to remove the back cover. Although they're bring back the memory slot.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I'm not an Apple fanboy either, but after getting an iPad for school (it was required), I figured to get an iPhone for consistency or something lol. My family all uses iPhones, so I guess I already knew my way around them. I'm on my second iPhone, as I don't upgrade every year. I do have the most recent 6S though, which was actually a Christmas gift from last year. I do like it a good bit.

redcrown

Awards
I did not do it yet, but I fear I am going to sell my soul for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I diddlying looooooooooooove that. D: It looks so nice. Right now, I have an iPhone 5 and meh. I'm just not the iPhone type of person, but it was a gift, so... xD

I'm leaning towards a Samsung Galaxy too. They look damn beautiful and tempting.~
Since I'm a hermit who lives in cave, I'm wondering which ones are considered outdated, and what's the essential difference between say the Galaxy S and Note.

Also anyone here have a Nexus or LG G3? What are those like and are they worth getting? They look unpopular.

Keep taking this quiz and keep getting the same results. Not sure if that means they are a good fit or they're just trying to push certain newly released products on me.

https://www.android.com/phones/whichphone/

Last edited:

Anagram

Banned
Does it still count if I only have one because my parents make me keep one?

redcrown

Awards
Does it still count if I only have one because my parents make me keep one?

Yes. I just want to hear as many causal reviews of any smartphone possible. I don't care if you ripped it from a toddler's hands who didn't need it and ran off with it. Just want to know what you think of the one you have, and what you would rather have.

Awards
I use an iPhone 5 with 16gb of memory(most of which is taking over by system memory)

Ever since I got Unchained X on Thrusday , I could not put it down. With that being said, my phone is a used one. The sides are badly chipped and I've had a case over it at all times. As for everything else, read Recon's statement.

redcrown

Awards
I'm so overwhelmed with options
I can't do it anymore

tumblr_m2b6e0q0uY1qeknrjo3_250.gif

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Casual review, huh? I'll give you casual...
My phone's a small Samsung. What model? Too lazy to check. So, uh... it can play music, browse the internet, talk & text, play KHUX, and turn off and on. Basically, it works. Good enough for me!

Datomix

Awards
Website
s14.invisionfree.com
iPhone 5S

It gets the job done. I've been using the iPhone ever since smartphones took over. Wouldn't say I love it or that I'm an Apple fan, I'm just used to the iOS interface, and don't particularly care to learn how to use an Android or anything like that.

I don't like change.

D

Deleted member 36435

I'm still using my Galaxy S3. Don't really use my phone all that much so haven't had a reason to upgrade.

Blue Firework

Awards
I recently switched from iPhone 5 to the Galaxy S6 Edge and I love my new phone. Especially after the Marshmallow Update. This is what I have learned since switching.

iPhone = Optimization, Android = Customization.

The iPhone locks you into certain features and setting, which helps provide security and can make things run smoother. Whenever I tried using a feature it either worked or didn't work.
The Android allows you to have a lot of control over your features and settings. You have to put in a lot of effort to make the phone work exactly how you want it. For the most part I can use almost any feature I want but sometimes I have to put in a lot of effort to get it to work and I don't always have the motivation to do that.
Both phone are good phones. It just depends one what you are looking for in a phone; something that works well with little effort from the user, or something that gives you free range over a lot of features but can require a lot of work.

All iPhones get software updates at the same time. For some android phones, you have to wait for updates for a long time.

For my phone specifically, it took me a while to get used to, but I finally have my phone set up the way I want it to be. The camera on the S6 is amazing. Seriously, look up Galaxy S6 photography. The battery life is not the best, some users have great battery life and some users have terrible battery life. You can download apps or root your phone that can help save your battery life by disabling software. I watch netlfix on my phone while at work, so I usually have to charge it around 1 or 2pm. I love the edge screen. It creates quick shortcuts to apps and contacts, but it's not really necessary. The regular S6 is just as good.

I love Samsung Pay. I only downloaded it so that I could get a free wireless charging pad (which I would never spend money on but I use all of the time), but it's fantastic. It works at almost any place you swipe your card. Apple Pay and Android Pay only work at certain places that have card swippers (I can't think of what these are called) modified to accept these. But Samsung Pay works with most card swippers. They somehow got it to work with the old electronics instead of having to install new card swippers. Sorry if I am not making sense.

TL;DR Apple phones are designed around optimization, while Android phones are designed around customization. If you want something that works well right out the box, go Apple. If you want something that can be customized to better fit your needs, go Android.

redcrown

Awards
I'm really torn on several Galaxy models; features vs price vs how I would even pay for it, and between two carriers or getting an unlocked phone.

question: is it worth it to get the next-to-newest generation of phones for the better hardware and improved ram/processors, or would 2 generations behind still be good enough?

example: I strongly considered getting the Note 5, but if I have to pay for the unlocked version, it's around $700. The Note 4 is more in my budget unlocked, but is it worth it to buy with the lower quality hardware and specs, is it considered that outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back