• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What should my first Final Fantasy be?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingdomkey96

Omniversally considered a badass.
So I have not played any FF games before, well that's not quite true as I played 7 a bit by my cousin. No matter, I want to know if you all think that FF13 is a good place for me to start the series or not.:confused:

siegleeagle

So I have not played any FF games before, well that's not quite true as I played 7 a bit by my cousin. No matter, I want to know if you all think that FF13 is a good place for me to start the series or not.:confused:

I think you should pick the one that looks the most interesting to you. While 13 is my favorite it generally has a bad reputation from the major fans of the series. I started with ten, four years ago and now I own all of the main titles and most of the sequels, prequels, midquels, internationals, expansions and spinoffs of the entire series. When it comes to this series you have to listen to what you like in your mind and take into consideration that because the majority doesn't like something it doesn't mean you won't like it too. Give it a try, to me it is a fantastic game.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
You should start anywhere you want to start.

Though I'd say you could start at FFI and go from there just because a lot of people who start at the end and go to the earlier games say the earlier ones aren't fun.

It also depends on if you are a big classics kind of person or if you like the more modern stuff. Go look at the first few bits of a walkthrough of the games on YT and see which one catches your attention.

VentusVictory

Awards
Riding the Battle Subway to Gamestop for Dissidia
I'm sort of a FF noob too, so let me help you out...

I started with Dissidia b/c I had just gotten a PSP w/ BBS. Dissidia is nothing like the main series, but it did spark my intrest enough to read all of the summaries for all of the FF main series games on FFWiki.

From there I decided to get FFXIII for a couple of reasons-
1. It was the most recent.
2. The story sounded cool.
3. It was on sale $20 on Black Friday
4. I had developed a small fanboyesque crush on Lightning.

I got FFXIII and was blown off my feet. I honestly loved the game and couldn't get enough of it. Until I hit a wall and couldn't beat a boss, but that's another story. I jumped back into it a day later (trick, don't make all your Paradigms the same, or skip the tutorial thinking that you'll 'wing it') and have played it when I get a chance since.

From what other fans say, it has a terrible level up system compared to the others. While I do agree that it is complicated and straightforward, I feel that this helps noobs like me get used to the battle style. Veterans also claimed that it was too linear, but I found that this allowed you to experience the game the way it was meant to be.

Also due to stunning graphics and a moving soundtrack, FFXIII was a tremendously fun game.

I haven't had time yet to play any older games, but I'm going to buy 7 soon and am anticipating Versus 13 and Type-0.

Bottom Line- FFXIII is a great game that the player doesn't need any sort of prior knowledge of the FF series to enjoy the game. It's a great place to jump into the series, and then maybe branch out into the older ones when you're ready. You may find that moving backwards will disappoint you graphically though.

Extra- FFXIII-2 is an upcomming direct sequel. You can playthrough FFXIII now and move on to XIII-2 when it comes out (hopefully this year) without the plot-hole that Kingdom Hearts leaves that spans years and years (I do love KH though).

kingdomkey96

Omniversally considered a badass.
Thanks guys, from what you say it seems as if only the people who played the older FF games would have a problem with FF13. So I think I'll go ahead and start here, if I fall in love with the series I'll play the older ones.

(one of the reasons that I don't want to start with the old ones is because I think it'll be painful to play through those graphics so if I don't like anything about it......I'll never get into the series.)

VentusVictory

Awards
Riding the Battle Subway to Gamestop for Dissidia
(one of the reasons that I don't want to start with the old ones is because I think it'll be painful to play through those graphics so if I don't like anything about it......I'll never get into the series.)

Good logic. I didn't think of it that way. The older graphics can be a drag sometimes-I'm having trouble playing KHRe:Coded b/c I'm subconsciously expecting BBS style graphics. I actually have been playing BBS Critical mode lately!

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Gonna try and give a very solid recommendation. I don't mean everybody else's sucked, I just mean people kinda didn't define one. Final Fantasy IV. It's a really good example of how Final Fantasy is overall. I only played halfway through it before, but it gives a decent impression of what to expect when playing Final Fantasy.

siegleeagle

Gonna try and give a very solid recommendation. I don't mean everybody else's sucked, I just mean people kinda didn't define one. Final Fantasy IV. It's a really good example of how Final Fantasy is overall. I only played halfway through it before, but it gives a decent impression of what to expect when playing Final Fantasy.

I didn't define one because in a world with so many opinions you can't really define a single one that represents the series. Thats why I told him to give all of them a brief look then think about what he likes and go from there.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards
X or 9. There are no other options. Not because they're the best, but because they're both good starter FF games, and even FF9 still looks amazing graphics wise.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
since you're just starting the series, i say X. the battle and growth system are easy to digest, story's not very confusing and you can probably find a copy online or some game store for a cheap price too.

or this
Though I'd say you could start at FFI and go from there just because a lot of people who start at the end and go to the earlier games say the earlier ones aren't fun.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
For me... Final fantasy started in my RPG-PS1 days... I started off with a demo for Final fantasy 8 and was hooked, I looked for a copy but I found Final fantasy 7 instead... after completeing it I was hooked and started playing the other games... starting with Final fantasy 1 for my first NES Emulator, and started with twelve with my PS2, then then Got 10, 10-2, and haven't played any of the online ones or 13 yet but I Watched a walkthough and is now my current motivation for getting a PS3

impart

Climb The Sky
Telling you what I tell everyone

FF IX
not too easy, not too hard. It was heavily influenced by all the first FF games :)

I wouldn't start with anything after X

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
I suggest playing IX VI and III ((Ds version))
These are to me the best games that I have played from the final fantasy series. And plus in FF III DS you get to choose your classes speaking of which, I also recommend the four heroes of light.

Trjen

I'd say start somewhere near the begining. anywhere between 1-9 is a damn good place to start, mostly all of them are excellent games with the exception of 8. If you try to jump into the new age FF (10 - 13) you will probably end up hating the series

siegleeagle

I'd say start somewhere near the begining. anywhere between 1-9 is a damn good place to start, mostly all of them are excellent games with the exception of 8. If you try to jump into the new age FF (10 - 13) you will probably end up hating the series

I dont think thats true. I started with 10 and I know that a lot of people started at 12 and 13 and they enjoy the series just fine.

kingudamu

Website
sora-no-haatsu.deviantart.com
if i had to say a particular series, i would say anything NOT apart of the main line up. Tactics advance/2, Crisis core, Dissidia, one of the DS remakes- something that is small, simple, and not TOO biased.you know, something to start off with ^^ once you try on of the small frys, then move on to the bigger course. 8, 10 and 13 are simple enough to play and is engaging so you wont get bored. if your one of those "challange killers" i suggest 7, any of the orignal 6 (cuz there go hard for real><) or the orignal tactics (perferable war of the lions, not the ps1 ver...) should be good. stay away from the "nortoious" spin offs (coughDirgeofCerberuscough) and, unless you have a suped up comp and a monthly allowance, you shouldnt go FF11/14. if you still not sure, just play kingdom hearts1- it covers the basics and such. happy gaming^___^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back