• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What purpose does religion have these days?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

New2Ya

I'm lost...
A serious question. What is the use of religion nowadays?

All it does it people justifying their awful actions. (muslim terrorists, christians saying they'll be saved by jesus, even though they murder freely)

Religion is not necessary anymore for the question "where does the world come from" because we have done our own research (aka science).

So what's left? Am I the only one that is for a further downfall of religion as a whole?

Awards
It seems your view is a bit prejudice... I'm a Christin, and I don't think I can do what ever I want and still believe I'll be 'saved by Jesus.' Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously is just looking for an outlet to excuse their actions. They may call themselves Christians,but they aren't.

As for Muslim terrorists? In my personal opinion they have twisted what their religion was trying to tell them. (It's obviously a lot more complicated but I'm not expert)

Awards
If you really want to know, go down to a library and get some books on religion as a topic, and do some in-depth studying, because quite frankly you sound pretty fucking ignorant. I mean, you come in here with your absolute statements and pretentious 'the world is fucked' attitude without supplying a shred of evidence to support it. Not to mention that you're raising a 'serious question' on a Kingdom Hearts forum.

If you're really looking for some genuine answers, this isn't the place to find them. On the other hand, if you want to take part in a self-glorifying, uneducated rant about religion (because it's such a fucking controversial topic, right?) then please, continue.

New2Ya

I'm lost...
。★。+.:.*゚☆Dug☆゚*.:.+。★。;4976175 said:
If you really want to know, go down to a library and get some books on religion as a topic, and do some in-depth studying, because quite frankly you sound pretty fucking ignorant. I mean, you come in here with your absolute statements and pretentious 'the world is fucked' attitude without supplying a shred of evidence to support it. Not to mention that you're raising a 'serious question' on a Kingdom Hearts forum.

If you're really looking for some genuine answers, this isn't the place to find them. On the other hand, if you want to take part in a self-glorifying, uneducated rant about religion (because it's such a fucking controversial topic, right?) then please, continue.
Someone's feelings are hurt.

All religion seems to bring to the world is frustration and anger. "No my religions is the truth!"

So what use is it anymore? It seems more of a con than a pro in the 21st century. To me that is. If you don't agree, explain.

Don't be stepped on your toes like this, because it's completely unnecessary.

Awards

All religion seems to bring to the world is frustration and anger. "No my religions is the truth!"

So what use is it anymore? It seems more of a con than a pro in the 21st century. To me that is. If you don't agree, explain.

Did you even read my post? Why are you retorting? I didn't take a side. I didn't make an argument. I didn't even answer your question. Does it seem like I did?

Nonetheless, I'll go through it again.

What's your evidence? Where are you getting this from, what's your source? Where's your research? You can't just come in and make an absolute statement like that without backing it up. "All religion seems to bring to the world is frustration and anger"; where's your proof?

Again, where's the research? Where are you getting these facts? I neither agreed nor disagreed with you in my initial post, so there's nothing to explain. I'm telling you that the basis for your argument is unfounded. Back it up.

I don't understand. What am I upset about?

I said it before and I'll say it again; you're ignorant and your argument is unfounded. Go to the library, do some research, and then come back and make an argument. Until then you're just bitching about something you have no idea about.

A

Azrael

To make people thing someone gives a damn about their pathetic lives.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
On the other hand, if you want to take part in a self-glorifying, uneducated rant about x (because it's such a fucking controversial topic, right?) then please, continue

that's pretty much how this section works really

darkisaac

Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
A serious question. What is the use of religion nowadays?

All it does it people justifying their awful actions. (muslim terrorists, christians saying they'll be saved by jesus, even though they murder freely)

Religion is not necessary anymore for the question "where does the world come from" because we have done our own research (aka science).

So what's left? Am I the only one that is for a further downfall of religion as a whole?

Unfortunately, there are questions that science has no answers to.

Science is limited to the realm of the empirical - the tangible reality around us whch can be observed and measured. Religion and philosophy deal with the things that are not empirical, they handle questions such as ethics, metaphysics, aesthetics, and the like.

Surely you cannot disagree that the empirical prowess of science is not enough to fulfill the human thirst for knowledge? There are abstract thoughts and concepts that science cannot, and will not, ever reach, and to live in a world devoid of religion would certainly leave something to be desired in the human existence.

Remember, science, is descriptive, it tells us how things are, nothing more. It cannot tell us how things should be, and it cannot give us any moral guidance whatsoever - that is a prescriptive field, and it falls under the dominion of both religion and philosophy.

I have to agree with 。★。+.:.*゚☆Dug☆゚*.:.+。★。.

You have hardly done any research on the subject to really know what you're talking about. You pose a question when you aren't really looking for a genuine answer, but rather for people to agree with you in your anti-religious views. If you want a real answer there is plenty of research you can do on the subject. You will find that religion does ALOT more than "justify awful actions". In fact, I'm such a nice guy, that I'll get you started:

Is disenchantment the end of religion? - Christopher L. Walton

That link is to an essay by a Harvard graduate, it addresses the question of Religion in the modern world. If you are truly looking for answers, it's a good start. Though judging by your earlier comments I very much doubt that you are on a genuine quest for knowledge.

Oh also maybe take a philosophy of religion class, and you should definitely read Rudolf Otto's "Idea of the Holy", great book, and it expresses how Religion is just a result of a transcendental experience.

Last edited:

darkisaac

Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Oh, I also realized based on your comments that you BEGIN at the assumption that religion is useless, leading me to believe that you must not believe in a God or deity, since otherwise the answer to your question would be self evident.

If God exists, then religion obviously has a purpose.

If God doesn't exist, religion still serves a purpose as it is the social expression of a natural phenomenon. It is inherent in us to seek for something higher; it is part of the human nature to seek these transcendental experiences - whether or not they are true or not is irrelevant, because A) their veracity can't be proven, and B) even if they aren't real, they elicit very real emotional responses from us, and therefore are still a very important part of our lives.

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
New2Ya said:

I don't get what you're saying here.

Why would Christians murder freely when it's against what God says...? Also using the fact that your saved to justify any wrong action you commit is not Christian at all, because if you were truly saved you wouldn't want to commit these actions in the first place.

killer kung fu wolf bitch said:
To make people thing someone gives a damn about their pathetic lives.

This is true as well. Religion gives people hope for an otherwise hopeless future. Take that away and what do people have to live for?

fun? money? fame?

They'll all mean nothing in the end so why bother. And there's always that fact that life isn't fair, this is even harder to deal with if you live without religion. If your life gets screwed over by some catastrophic event then what else do you have to live for? Is it even worth trying to get back? and what about the people who start off life with no hope?

I know a good deal of people here believe in just living life to the fullest before it's over but not everyone can be that optimistic, and for those people there's religion to give them some ease.

Last edited:

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
It seems your view is a bit prejudice... I'm a Christin, and I don't think I can do what ever I want and still believe I'll be 'saved by Jesus.' Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously is just looking for an outlet to excuse their actions. They may call themselves Christians,but they aren't.

As for Muslim terrorists? In my personal opinion they have twisted what their religion was trying to tell them. (It's obviously a lot more complicated but I'm not expert)
A-men also it gives peopie hope, meaning and a reason to life.

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
Awards
I say everybody should be agnostic.

Hey, I'm agnostic! Honestly though, as long religion gives people hope, meaning and a reason to life as said by the last poster, Piercing Light, and whoever-else's post I didn't read. (I only read some of them, including the OP's.)

Penance

Hey, I'm agnostic! Honestly though, as long religion gives people hope, meaning and a reason to life as said by the last poster, Piercing Light, and whoever-else's post I didn't read. (I only read some of them, including the OP's.)

ahahaha. It totally doesn't do that though. It makes them wish for death so they can meet God. I'm not being a dick about it, it's the truth.

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
ahahaha. It totally doesn't do that though. It makes them wish for death so they can meet God. I'm not being a dick about it, it's the truth.

And which religion are you referring to exactly? Because you know they don't all have the same purpose.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Religion gives people answers in a similar way that science does, albeit the different methods. If a Christian can make sense out of God creating the universe rather than whatever theory someone else has to say, then I'd say having a religion is the better choice for him/her.

Penance

And which religion are you referring to exactly? Because you know they don't all have the same purpose.

Christianity, and urm Islam I think. Anyway I grew up in a Christian household and these fucks are miserable. So are my family members. It enslaves your mind. It's a total facade that people use as a method of control over their family and community. At least

IMO

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
But Christians don't want to die early, they just know that when they do die they have hope of living again in paradise instead of eternal damnation.

The Bible really teaches that Christians should be willing to finish all the work God has set out for the before he decides it's time for them to go.

darkisaac

Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
One of the problems with people is that they are inherently preoccupied with the three main Abrahamic religions, that being Christianity, Judeism, and Islam. There are other religions people, seriously, go out and do some homework.

Christianity, and urm Islam I think. Anyway I grew up in a Christian household and these fucks are miserable. So are my family members. It enslaves your mind. It's a total facade that people use as a method of control over their family and community.

I love how you presume to know the mental state of the entire Christian community based on your own subjective, and biased, experience. Don't make generalizations - just because your family members are miserable, unauthentic Christians doesn't mean everyone else is the same. You're not a representative sample of the Christian world, don't be arrogant enough to assume you are.

The same goes to the original post which talked about terrorists and murderers and the like - that is NOT a representative sample. The vast majority of Muslims frown upon terrorism, only a small sect of radicals are the crazy ones who blow people up.

Every group has a bit of bad. We're all human, and it is impossible to have a group of perfect people. But just because there's bad people in a group doesn't mean you can judge the group as a whole in such a manner - in fact that is a logical fallacy known as Composition, in which one assumes that because members of a group have attribute X then the whole group must also have that attribute.

ahahaha. It totally doesn't do that though. It makes them wish for death so they can meet God. I'm not being a dick about it, it's the truth

This is an ignorant statement, showing that you know very little about Judeo-Christian religions and that you only have a very superficial view of what it means to be a Christian. You ARE being a dick about it, and it most certainly ISN'T the truth. Go and do some actual research - because even though you say that you've grown up in a Christian household, it is obvious you have no idea what the religion encompasses.

Religion gives people answers in a similar way that science does, albeit the different methods. If a Christian can make sense out of God creating the universe rather than whatever theory someone else has to say, then I'd say having a religion is the better choice for him/her.

Religion does give answers, though they are wholly different from scientific answers, and they use vastly different methods.

Back to the original topic at hand:

Religion is an inherent part of human nature - whether you like it or not, there is always a sense of mysticism in the human experience, there is always a sense of the unknown - a transcendental experience, if you will. We can't help it, but it happens at random times in our lives - when we see the beauty in the universe, when we think about abstract things, when we have near-death experiences, etc.

It is part of human nature to have vague feelings of something beyond what our senses can perceive. Whether or not these feelings are a response to an objective truth or simply subjective experiences is what gives rise to the question of whether or not there really exists a higher being out there. But regardless of whether or not these feelings correspond to an objectively true deity, the fact remains that we have them, and that they can very well shape our actions, emotions, behavior, and the like. The rationalization of these "Holy" or transcendental experiences is what forms religions, so we cannot rid ourselves of religion any more than we can rid ourselves of our conscience, or our rationality, or some other inherent part of our nature.

And to the idea that with the advancement of science religion becomes obsolete: science doesn't even have the answers to everything under it's own realm. There are problems in quantum physics which still elude reason and empirical thinking. Science will never answer everything, because there will always be something else to discover - the unknown will always be present. And as long as science doesn't have all the answers, then religion will always exist as a necessary part of human society and culture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back