• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Makes A Christian, Christian?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
This thread is especially for those religiously inclined, more so those who profess or hold some sort of Christian beliefs. All are welcome to participate though.

I was reading a pdf of an article set to release in a couple of months entitled, What Are The Marks Of True Christianity?

The article started by bringing out that there were reportedly over 2 billion professed "Christians" worldwide in 2010. However, this 2 billion was divided into something like 41,000 different denominations. You would think to yourself, why so many different denominations? Aren't they all supposed to be following The [one] Christ? Can they all be worshiping in an acceptable manner?

There are some groups we might consider extremists, others that are much lesser known. Some denominations take up a large following whereas others might be considered "cults" and "sects" by some.

So why so many? Which one(s) is/are doing it right? If these following words from Jesus in the Bible mean anything, then obviously not all "Christians" are actual Christians.

Matthew 7: 21-23 which says:

“Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness.

In addition, the apostle Paul wrote these words to the first century Christians (the first Christians) about being "one." So originally, there was supposed to be (and there was) one set of Christians. One way, one set of beliefs, one practice, one group. They were united and it was encouraged. For example:

Ephesisans 4:1-6 -
I, therefore, the prisoner in [the] Lord, entreat YOU to walk worthily of the calling with which YOU were called, 2*with complete lowliness of mind and mildness, with long-suffering, putting up with one another in love, 3*earnestly endeavoring to observe the oneness of the spirit in the uniting bond of peace. 4*One body there is, and one spirit, even as YOU were called in the one hope to which YOU were called; 5*one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6*one God and Father of all [persons], who is over all and through all and in all.

It wasn't until after the apostles had all died that new ideas and deviations from the original form of Christianity started to really spread (which was foretold in many instances).

For instance Acts 20: 29, 30 -
*I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among YOU and will not treat the flock with tenderness,*and from among YOU yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.

So we do not have to go by what the article said, but it was a good reference for me in formulating an idea and making this thread. Question overall is then: When it comes both to a group and an individual - What do you feel makes a Christian, Christian (qualities, actions, beliefs, etc.)? Do you feel there is "True Christianity"?

Discuss

Last edited:

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY
I don't think there's a set "True Christianity" but Church's (well at least Catholic) do set standards for what they think is an ideal Christian. But the Bible is up to interpretation and these standards and beliefs aren't always the best.
What I think is it doesn't matter what Church you're part of or whether or not you act to their liking. "True Christianity" is your personal connection with God and how you choose to exert it (not saying going around preaching, but things like acting morally).

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
To me it's loving God, and helping out people like he did. He aren't to spread hate but love and forgiveness. We may fall every one and then but we pick ourselves up and learn from our mistakes.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
As far as I know, being defined as a 'True Christian' is something that resides in the heart. Sure someone could be a nice person in the sense of being considerate, reaching out to the less fortunate etc. But even then Buddhists, Mormons, Atheists and anyone in any kind of religion could be a decent human being which is why I think it's a matter of the heart.

To accept that Christ died on the cross and rose again 3 days later and ascended into heaven is pretty much the first and foremost action when deciding to follow Christianity. But as Vani alluded to, the Bible is interpreted in many different ways which is why there are so many denominations. Heck, predestination was even considered to be an acceptable means of interpretation. Personally, I think there are Christians who are Christians just in name and not spiritually. And of course the Bible may be contradictory in the sense that good works alone wont allow for entry into Heaven. But neither will disregarding the moral human standard by which everyone understands.

I had a few more thoughts...but I got distracted. I'll probably end up posting them later.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
In my opinion what makes a Christian, Christian is a love and devotion towards God, being the person you believe God wants you to be, and doing good for the world through love and compassion. There are many denominations of Christianity but what makes a "True Christian" regardless of their denomination is their faith in God and what is good. Many denominations also have varied views, but in the end they believe in one main thing and that is God. The Bible is like a guidebook for Christians and there are many ways people interpret it like any piece of writing. Everyone can have a different interpretation because we are all different.

JustSnilloc

What makes a Christian is acceptance of Christ... After you've given God you're heart, he won't let it be taken by anyone, not even you, so you remain saved for the rest of your life

The difference between those who live true Christian lives and those who don't is the treasures you end up with in heaven, those who turn from God later in life and live how they way will probably get into heaven with nothing but what they are wearing (assuming they're wearing anything) But for anyone who has ever felt the power of Christ, it's hard to live without it, or to go against him

What you're referring to TC, is someone living as they should... Which is what all Christians strive to do, some people just stumble and fall more than others, some people never try to get up again

------------------------------------------------

About denominations though TC, all Christian denominations follow Christ as the Son of God and if they don't then they aren't Christian... Therefore all can be TRUE CHRISTIANS, the reason there are Denominations is that certain people find certain aspects of the faith as more important, or not focused enough on

So just as people have different opinions on what needs more importance so do denominations, those are the only real differences between TRUE CHRISTIAN churches

Last edited:

Virus

حلم في ا&#1604
Website
www.willyouresist.com
There honestly is no effort whatsoever put into this, I have the attention span of a 3 year old. But bear with me. I think I make rather valid points

Is there a "True Christianity"? That's the beauty of Christianity: it's meant to be yours. You're not supposed to just blindly follow a faith, you're supposed to make that faith your own. So no, I don't think there is "one true Christianity."

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." And if you believe that you're a Christian. But believing has three parts to it:

1. Believe it in your mind. This one's easy and makes sense, we can accept things as facts in our minds without much thought.
2. Profess it with your mouth. Tell the world about Jesus, spread his name. Don't be ashamed you're a Christian. That kind of stuff. This is where it starts to get tricky.
3. Show it through your life. Live the way Jesus did. That means more than just following the commandments. Probably the hardest of the three. This is the one that means you have to give up drunkenness and orgies and marijuana and pride.

I think you also need a serious relationship with God. It's not about just the above, you need to desire to know Him and want to be closer to Him. Read your Bible, try to learn. Pray to Him in thanksgiving, in praise, not only when you want something. And more important is to LISTEN. People don't take the time to do that; they ask and ask but never wait for the answer.

I think this poet puts it nicely about what it means to be a Christian:
[video=youtube;ZqfU3OFNZA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqfU3OFNZA0[/video]

But honestly though, I think we all will be surprised with who gets into Heaven. And who is left out. That's the thing, it's God's decision. We can only speculate. What we shouldn't do is immediately dismiss the possibility of someone going to Heaven. And the only person you should be sure of as going to Heaven, is yourself.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
According to most posts, just about anyone who claims Jesus will be set. So who are the Christians that Jesus said were not true Christians? Who are the followers he would deny?

JustSnilloc

According to most posts, just about anyone who claims Jesus will be set. So who are the Christians that Jesus said were not true Christians? Who are the followers he would deny?

according to Christianity, those who claim to follow "God" and don't accept his son is what he's referring to ex: all other religions (or specifically Judaism, Mormonism, and Islam who claim the same god, but don't accept Jesus)

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
It's pretty much covered in Virus's video. I mean all those who claim God as their savior and then opt for doing all the things the Bible goes against. "Lukewarm" is the correct way to put it. Sure we'll still make mistakes and struggle with things that require forgiveness but those who takes God's forgiveness for granted are the worst. For instance, doing something wrong like stealing and in hindsight thinking that God will forgive you for it anyway. Of course He will, but that's just making His sacrifice look cheap as ever.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
according to Christianity, those who claim to follow "God" and don't accept his son is what he's referring to ex: all other religions (or specifically Judaism, Mormonism, and Islam who claim the same god, but don't accept Jesus)

No, but as the OP stated, Jesus clearly said there would be people who would "follow" him, and do works in his NAME - Jesus. So this isn't about other religions, this is about Christendom.

Who are the false Christians he talked about? Also the statement Paul made along with the other apostles about false Christians. It's all in the Bible, which Christianity is supposed to be based off of. So who are those?

JustSnilloc

No, but as the OP stated, Jesus clearly said there would be people who would "follow" him, and do works in his NAME - Jesus. So this isn't about other religions, this is about Christendom.

Who are the false Christians he talked about? Also the statement Paul made along with the other apostles about false Christians. It's all in the Bible, which Christianity is supposed to be based off of. So who are those?

just those who claim to be, and all they are is talk on outside... Those who have accepted him meant to do so, those who fake it are the one's he's talking about I suppose... What's the verse you're looking at, I'm having to be really general because I don't know what exactly you're referring to

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
just those who claim to be, and all they are is talk on outside... Those who have accepted him meant to do so, those who fake it are the one's he's talking about I suppose... What's the verse you're looking at, I'm having to be really general because I don't know what exactly you're referring to

It's all in the first post in the thread.

Anyway, so let me throw this hypothetical situation out. Let's say I was to start my own church. The foundation for the faith is that Jesus is God's Son and he died for us. However, we pretty much change up the rest of the story and call ourselves Christian. We believe in doing "good" but of course the meaning of that word tends to be relative. We pretty much do things our own way. Would that make us Christian?

JustSnilloc

It's all in the first post in the thread.

Anyway, so let me throw this hypothetical situation out. Let's say I was to start my own church. The foundation for the faith is that Jesus is God's Son and he died for us. However, we pretty much change up the rest of the story and call ourselves Christian. We believe in doing "good" but of course the meaning of that word tends to be relative. We pretty much do things our own way. Would that make us Christian?

Would that make you Christian? yeah, would that make you a terribly mislead Christian? yep, Christian is Christian though bro

JustSnilloc

Satan believes in Jesus.

Does that make him a Christian?

Nope, accepting Jesus as your savior makes you a Christian... Jesus died for man(kind), not any other being (angel, demon, or animal), he did this because man(kind) was tricked into sin. Also as sin entered from one man, Jesus took it away through one man, and through that one man is the only way to heaven... Any other creature doesn't have Jesus as a hope

Edit: Given that Satan is opposed to God, he wouldn't bow down to him anyways

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
acting and being something are two different things entirely

Ummmmm... it seems you're saying that because being a Christian and accepting Jesus as your personal savior and so your sins are forgiven that it's okay to sin. Or, rather, that it doesn't matter. Well, it does:

Revelations 3 said:
15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

If you choose to be a Christian, then you must act like one. Of course, everyone will sin, no matter what. But, as a a Christian, a person must try their hardest to not. Otherwise, you're just as bad as the demons. Accept imperfection; not bask in it.

JustSnilloc

Ummmmm... it seems you're saying that because being a Christian and accepting Jesus as your personal savior and so your sins are forgiven that it's okay to sin. Or, rather, that it doesn't matter. Well, it does:

If you choose to be a Christian, then you must act like one. Of course, everyone will sin, no matter what. But, as a a Christian, a person must try their hardest to not. Otherwise, you're just as bad as the demons. Accept imperfection; not bask in it.

True, but someone who actually accepted Christ and didn't fake it would have a hard time to do so (bask in imperfection that is)

Edit: which isn't to say that people don't have their weaknesses when it comes to sin, but it weighs down on them regardless

Edit#2: The stronger the connection a person has with Jesus, results in more temptation that they face... and also the more it weighs on the the further they stray from him (so beginner Christians probably wouldn't have as much of a problem)

Last edited:

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
True, but someone who actually accepted Christ and didn't fake it would have a hard time to do so (bask in imperfection that is)

Edit: which isn't to say that people don't have their weaknesses when it comes to sin, but it weighs down on them regardless

What about Judas Iscariot?

Jesus hand picked him as his follower. Judas started out with a good heart and truly believed in Jesus. However, in the end he betrayed Jesus. Is he still "saved"? Was he a true christian while with Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back